GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,403 comments
iIt was like a bar room brawl rather than a race. People murdered at very corner. Giving 1 inch of space was like saying "come on through in your 8 foot wide battering ram"

No one in the top 5 finished in the top 5, and the amount of yellow flag warnings was like being back in a early 90s rave.

Just carnage utter carnage.
Sigh. this has been my experience in three or four races so far. You can just smell the desperation on track.

Big sweeping corners invite the slightest room to stick a nose in, never mind that corner is closing fast. I've been shoved out of points in nearly every race. I need to run some laps practicing defensive lines although it might not help much when people aren't afraid of shoving (beyond just normal elbows-out, I can handle that)

I'll try a few more at WG but I need to work on a qualy for race c, I think I will like that if I can keep up.

Just did my first daily race B of the day. I use the term race very lightly.

It was like a bar room brawl rather than a race. People murdered at very corner. Giving 1 inch of space was like saying "come on through in your 8 foot wide battering ram"

No one in the top 5 finished in the top 5, and the amount of yellow flag warnings was like being back in a early 90s rave.

Car Smash GIF by Storyful

I don't even have the CLK.

It is so weird and poor that you cant currently buy the car for Daily Race A at all, and at the same time the meta for Daily race C is not for sale either.

For a game that looks and plays great, the shoddy lack of joined up thinking at times is really very very poor indeed.

Sigh. this has been my experience in three or four races so far. You can just smell the desperation on track.

Big sweeping corners invite the slightest room to stick a nose in, never mind that corner is closing fast. I've been shoved out of points in nearly every race. I need to run some laps practicing defensive lines although it might not help much when people aren't afraid of shoving (beyond just normal elbows-out, I can handle that)

I'll try a few more at WG but I need to work on a qualy for race c, I think I will like that if I can keep up.
It's not defensive lines you either need to escape or evade (eyes glued to the rear view or radar) or the alternative is to fit some chaffs and flares those are the only counter offence I can imagine would work for the human missiles....

IMG_0125.gif

Last edited:
I don't even have the CLK.

It is so weird and poor that you cant currently buy the car for Daily Race A at all, and at the same time the meta for Daily race C is not for sale either.

For a game that looks and plays great, the shoddy lack of joined up thinking at times is really very very poor indeed.
It's like they're not even bright enough to know how to optimize the bleed of credits from their players.

Edit:
Just did my first daily race B of the day. I use the term race very lightly.

It was like a bar room brawl rather than a race. People murdered at very corner. Giving 1 inch of space was like saying "come on through in your 8 foot wide battering ram"

Race B has all the ingredients for the perfect carnage recipe.
A very short race on Gr.3 in a track with a bus stop chicane... I can imagine the result of that and I say I can imagine because I dont have any plans to even try it (and I love WG).

Race B has all the ingredients for the perfect carnage recipe.
A very short race on Gr.3 in a track with a bus stop chicane... I can imagine the result of that and I say I can imagine because I dont have any plans to even try it (and I love WG).
I think the reality is that PD have these very fixed time based hoppers/lobbies for racing.

On the one hand it gives us mostly full grids and tighter racing.

Where we miss out is a 7 lap daily B with fuel or tire stops needed. So they are always full balls to the wall sprints and I'll be honest in GR4 or Clio cup that makes a lot of sense.

In Gr3 it makes no sense at all, it's not even a reflection of a real GT3 race.

Then we have daily C which sometimes can be massively fun. But again it is hindered by the need to fit the time slot. So yes run more laps to fill the time but then if we force a pit we have to calculate that time or if we fuel save we turn the race in to GV last week.

These races can be enjoyable, it's just the races, the strat and the combos are really getting samey.

For me personally I enjoyed the pre tuned cars at trial mountain. They weren't quite balanced enough but it was fun to drive road cars at pace.

Even ignoring the time of day or weather there are more interesting options.

4 laps on daily B is pretty weak though

My take on Race B this week. Watkins Glen is so much more enjoyable on a wheel vs controller with those long high speed corners!

Best QT at 1:44.388 in my good old McLaren in Jenson Button Team RJN livery. Don’t think there is much left really.

Then immediately got put back to reality in the race earlier today (Finished 6th nevertheless). I have no answer to all the M6’s - may try a bit of QT in the M6 myself.

I didn’t even know DR S (The guy in 3rd) is possible!?

IMG-7701.jpg

Last edited:
Same as Atlanta last week

The issue is the race format. If it wasn't so sweaty other cars have a chance. The problem is you are basically running QT pace for 3.5 laps. And it's tight time wise in the lobbies.

It's a pressure cooker for over driving or position thirstiness. With those 2 things in mind why would you race outside if the metas?

By Wednesday going from the back will be less of a thing, pace will have upped. Once the pace is getting better things will smooth out a bit as the early guys started taking huge DR hits and SR hits.

You need race pace though and luck to avoid the over breakers, those braking too late, those coming out of a fast corner slower than you by a massive factor. The we have the spinners (self inflicted or not) they don't have the best rejoins....

My take on Race B this week. Watkins Glen is so much more enjoyable on a wheel vs controller with those long high speed corners!

Best QT at 1:44.388 in my good old McLaren in Jenson Button Team RJN livery. Don’t think there is much left really.

Then immediately got put back to reality in the race earlier today (Finished 6th nevertheless). I have no answer to all the M6’s - may try a bit of QT in the M6 myself.

I didn’t even know DR S (The guy in 3rd) is possible!?

IMG-7701.jpg

World tour driver mate. They are the only ones that get S DR.

Same as Atlanta last week

The issue is the race format. If it wasn't so sweaty other cars have a chance. The problem is you are basically running QT pace for 3.5 laps. And it's tight time wise in the lobbies.

It's a pressure cooker for over driving or position thirstiness. With those 2 things in mind why would you race outside if the metas?

By Wednesday going from the back will be less of a thing, pace will have upped. Once the pace is getting better things will smooth out a bit as the early guys started taking huge DR hits and SR hits.

You need race pace though and luck to avoid the over breakers, those braking too late, those coming out of a fast corner slower than you by a massive factor. The we have the spinners (self inflicted or not) they don't have the best rejoins....

World tour driver mate. They are the only ones that get S DR.

Gotcha.

Agreed whole heartedly on the race format issue too - short races means more “all or nothing” split decisions (I am obviously guilty of this as well) which always lead to chaotic races.

The “META” of both weeks (Mazda 3, M6) are almost always faster on straights and over a lap but more error prone in corners compare to more “stable” options like the McLaren (Gr.3/4) and Porsche (Gr.3). Shorter races also promote those more edgy METAs there is less chance of making mistakes.

Based on my experience in Race C last night, I'm now scared to try Race B with what everyone is saying here!

I don't think I've ever been smashed around more than my 4 Race C last night. Constant bumper cars, getting pushed into walls and getting a penalty for my trouble, getting out of the crowd with a pit stop just to end up in it again 3 laps later... I really like driving the track in group 2, but I've actually never done a race in these cars, so was a bit disappointed in how it went.

@TheNormsk @mellofello9
Thanks for the advices.
My first thought when I got the A was "Let's hold on to this until the next Nation Cup"
I really want to try the GT1 league, very exciting.
I know I won't be able to hold and dive into the daily race later this week. I will be one of those hungry to keep its place...
Already sounds fun, "Drive to survive.".
I've been in the same boat, got to A in November and have managed to hang onto it for a couple months. After last night, I'm about 1 bad race away from losing it. I wish you luck in your quest to maintain it :).

Personally I don't care about it a ton, as long as my DR reasonably reflects my ability and gets me decent match making. Except, like you, wanting to drive GT1 when the cup seasons come around. After the season last fall, seeing some of the properly long races in GT1 manufacturers, I was pretty jealous. I joined GT1 practice lobbies while preparing for GT2 races, and it was fantastic. Hoping to maintain the rating and that the next season will feature the extended race lengths again.

Gotcha.

Agreed whole heartedly on the race format issue too - short races means more “all or nothing” split decisions (I am obviously guilty of this as well) which always lead to chaotic races.

The “META” of both weeks (Mazda 3, M6) are almost always faster on straights and over a lap but more error prone in corners compare to more “stable” options like the McLaren (Gr.3/4) and Porsche (Gr.3). Shorter races also promote those more edgy METAs there is less chance of making mistakes.
I think that is a good point. I'm a MCL guy but sometimes I know when to hold them and when to fold them.

I chase like you the higher level ghosts so it makes sense to run their cars at least for QT.

I love close, bumper to bumper, door to races. I just don't feel GR3 or GR2 are the classes for that, and this week Lancia's on snow isn't that either.

Again it's just race length choice and strat....

For those who didn't see this video (thanks, @newmedia_dev):

That said, WG is not one of my better tracks so I may not improve all that much, perhaps a few tenths.
I've never been good at WG either, which is too bad, because I like the course.
How does your time put you in the A starting grids?
I've only done one race, and it was really early this morning. I started and finished 6, but I doubt that will be the norm.

Last edited:

Probably the only one of note so far this week. If you can navigate lap one of B, you often stand to make dividends. The problem comes with knowing when to brake for the bus stop because everyone's different, some don't want the kerbs, some want all of it.

Race B would be a lot more fun if it wasn't for the M6 dominating... Well i mean i love the track and a short race like this is bound to be fun but i hate it when cars dominate a single race.

I tested the Atenza GR.3 and it's actually quite okay now. The M6 is fast on the straights but i was gaining on them in every corner. I'd personally place it in Solid B tier right now.
Although, after some thinking, this is probably just because the M6 was nerfed and they're just a bit closer together in performance now lmao.

Speaking of BOP changes, has the Pennzoil GT500 had a buff?

Last edited:
Back for more Watkins Glen tonight. I tired out the Huracan to see if I could make that work. Turns out that car doesn't like the bus stop too much and I crashed with every attempt at it. I switched to the McLaren and was only a few tenths behind the Porsche time. I might be able to get a new time in that.

Anyway, my first race has me in P4 and the only thing to report is me getting tapped on the rear entering the bus stop. My guess is they misjudged the speed of the car as they were in my slip and didn't adjust properly. They didn't give the spot back and that was dumb. The driver in P2 got an off track penalty on the last lap and I finished in P4.

My second race had me in P3 to start. I got dive-bombed entering turn 6 on lap 1, and we both reach the apex at the same time. But they intentionally hit my car as we get back up to speed and send me off track. I'm beyond furious and treat the race as a practice session. Which is hard when I pick up multiple off track penalties. After all of that nonsense, I finish P14.

My third race has me back in P3. The first lap goes fine but a driver decided to have the brilliant idea of going side by side into the bus stop. I don't back down, but I lose 2 spots as a result. I get a 1 second penalty in the bus stop and fall down the field even farther to P11. And to add insult to injury, I hit the wall on the last turn on the last lap and somehow I get pointed at, and hit the barrels on the pit lane entry wall. Another P14 finish.

Being a glutton for punishment, I do one more race. I'm in P5 this time and once again I get moved out of the way via incidental contact and they don't give the position back. They got a penalty and I got my spot back in the end with a P5 finish. The rest of the race was clean enough for me.

Extremely frustrating night of racing. I still love the combo at the Glen so that won't stop me for the week. Here's hoping for smother sailing tomorrow.

Let's see if I can get my time down under 1'50.000 at WG. I do feel like I'm losing time at the sweepers and then the section after you see the Coca-Cola billboard. Then Sector 3 can pack a punch in my time as well. So, what cars are you all using? And which ones give you all the boxes that are checked? (pros/cons)

That is a neat looking livery you made!!

The RX vision? I'm using the R.S.01 GT3, it gave me my best lap so far at WG, I'd like to dig deeper and cut my time down even more.
I’m in the vantage 🙃

In the interest of science, I did a thing… not sure whether I’ll get a chance to do any races this week, but I do enjoy WG so decided to get a taste of the new BoP. I only had 20 mins so did 5 laps in each of three cars

Had a go in the Jag first
1706683884578.jpeg

Then the 911
1706683947059.jpeg

Then the BMW (but ran out of time and only did a couple of laps but optimals looked promising)
1706684003881.jpeg

Net result of this highly unscientific science experiment is that I have broadly similar pace in three different cars, but would probably race the 911 because I lack imagination 😂

Yep, did a race a lunch and got shafted into the chicane by a Ferrari who I guess used me to assist his braking

So finished p13 again,

Not much fun
I drive the vantage and it seems it is pretty stable if someone wants to kick you off track. One tried to push me in the wall but ended there himself while I was able to hold my place 🥴 but yes, people think any corner and especially the bus stop is a good place to overtake 😂

I'm sticking with my Fanatec settings. I've posted in that thread what they are. As for race C, I'll skip that I think. Really don't care for the CLK.

I like it when there's variety of cars in the race. For all the Mazda3 dominance, last week, I actually had (mostly in A+/A races) several B races where there was quite a lot of variety of cars. It seems the A+/A crowd avoided the Mazda 3 more-so than the B crowd.

You may be surprise to find that you maintain your DR position. I find in races where I do not do so well I actually lose less DR than expected as there are more A+ in the race offsetting the DR calculation. Then next race, it is if the algorithm wants you to do well, you then get placed in an easier lobby where you can succeed easier. Rinse and repeat.

That said I'll probably....
car crash GIF
This video is nuts 😀. I love how he tries opposite lock. The car is like "Are you joking brother?"

Speaking of super sweaty races like Race B this week. This will probably sound stupid but I have to ask because I am curious.
Lets say you start top 5 and the guys in front of you have a bit of a fight right from the green light and get a bit out of shape around some corners and you have to brake a bit earlier etc. to no cause chaos. And because of that the guys behind you get super impatient. Do you force the issue and play super aggressive? I never know what to do in those situations. I normally cut the guys some slack but you just get eaten by the guys behind you because they only see the car in front of them (you) and not what is going on further up and why you are not 110% through every corner. Often times you lose 2, 3 or more places because of that.

This is happening over and over this week and I agree the race format is to blame. It's only 4 laps and people already have no patience to begin with.

Hi All, mind if I join the party?
Used to spend way too much time on GT (v1-4)a long time ago, then being adult got in the way for a while. Fast forward 16 years and we got our kids a PS5 a while back. I resisted for a while, until the boy wanted a driving sim. Next thing I know I've dug my old sim-rig out, bought a wheel and am spending way too much time racing online (wasn't a thing on the early versions).
Hope to see some of you in the lobbies, though I'm currently struggling to get out of Driving Cat C!

Hi All, mind if I join the party?
Used to spend way too much time on GT (v1-4)a long time ago, then being adult got in the way for a while. Fast forward 16 years and we got our kids a PS5 a while back. I resisted for a while, until the boy wanted a driving sim. Next thing I know I've dug my old sim-rig out, bought a wheel and am spending way too much time racing online (wasn't a thing on the early versions).
Hope to see some of you in the lobbies, though I'm currently struggling to get out of Driving Cat C!
Nothing wrong with DR C!
Nice to have another here from my neck of the woods.

Back