GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,403 comments
After all the comments about race B chaos I thought I would try race C instead. Not sure I've tried the CLK before but that handles Deep Forest really well and considering its top end speed no wonder it's the meta.

Got myself a reasonable 1:19.757 after not much effort which placed me near the top 2000 globally.
IMG_7777.JPG

IMG_7778.JPG

I usually try to get in the top 2K so I've a little work to do.

That said, I decided to jump into a race - can't grind QT all the time. The time was only good enough for 8th on the start. By lap 2 I'd worked up to 5th but on lap 3 I'd slid back to 6th after one of the faster A+ drivers who'd I'd passed under penalty caught back up. I did not put up a fight as they were clearly faster. I stayed 6th into the pits. Up to this point the field has split into those faster than me with about a 2 second gap to me and those slower than me, with again, around a 2 second gap. I was basically not threatening the leaders and not being threatened myself.

Coming out the pits I was 8th and that was where I stayed to finish. I changed my tires on lap 7 as did most but I got jumped by two people and it took some effort to figure it out. One was an A+ driver who started at the back with no QT and scooted up to 3rd doing a drive from the back race. So, just stupidly quick. The other was the car behind me. They had not change tires and come in the lap before jumping me. I caught them back up as their tires were spent at the end, but not enough to pass. If we'd had 15 laps and not 14 I may have then reclaimed that spot.

The next race, I stayed with changing my tires but this time on lap 6. I started further back in 9th and this time finished 10th. No one passed me racing so again I think this was someone who didn't change tires. I may have to try that next time. The only non CLKs in the races was a sole RS 5 Turbo DTM '19 (finished 5th), a GT-R (finished 10th) and an NSX (finished 7th) in the top 12 results.

Total results was +2% DR to put me at 28% DR A. I seem to be maintaining around a 22-30% level at the moment. As soon as I hit 30%, I usually end up in brutal lobbies that have me instantly course correct back into the 20s%. That appears to be my new level, over the last few weeks.

After that I jumped back to race B to see if I could improve my QT. I took a few tenths off but as you all got faster it was nothing to write home about. Consequently, I concluded I'm not good at Watkins Glen so I'll probably stick with C..

Last edited:
Speaking of super sweaty races like Race B this week. This will probably sound stupid but I have to ask because I am curious.
Lets say you start top 5 and the guys in front of you have a bit of a fight right from the green light and get a bit out of shape around some corners and you have to brake a bit earlier etc. to no cause chaos. And because of that the guys behind you get super impatient. Do you force the issue and play super aggressive? I never know what to do in those situations. I normally cut the guys some slack but you just get eaten by the guys behind you because they only see the car in front of them (you) and not what is going on further up and why you are not 110% through every corner. Often times you lose 2, 3 or more places because of that.

This is happening over and over this week and I agree the race format is to blame. It's only 4 laps and people already have no patience to begin with.
This happens to me very often this week - in most of my races I start in mid-pack, several M6s fighting in front and slow themselves down with me in my McLaren following closely, with another 3 of so M6's going side by side behind me all in positions of overtaking me. I usually need to lift before my usual braking point at bus stop to ensure I don't run into the guys in front, but by doing so put me in a horrible position in the next uphill long righthander where the M6's behind just fly pass me. Not much can be done unfortunately except believing the "110% through every corner" guys will screw up at some point during the race.

Hi All, mind if I join the party?
Used to spend way too much time on GT (v1-4)a long time ago, then being adult got in the way for a while. Fast forward 16 years and we got our kids a PS5 a while back. I resisted for a while, until the boy wanted a driving sim. Next thing I know I've dug my old sim-rig out, bought a wheel and am spending way too much time racing online (wasn't a thing on the early versions).
Hope to see some of you in the lobbies, though I'm currently struggling to get out of Driving Cat C!
Welcome onboard from a recent new joiner! I was addicted to GT1 & 2 when my parents bought me a PS1 back in 1999. Then it wasn't until the release of GT7 that brought me back to GT (and sim racing in general) and very recently switched from controller to a wheel. DR is more like a mean of ensuring closer racing (NOT cleaner racing unfortunately) and it motivates me to improve further.
Unfortunately, it's usually a nice guys finish last situation. :irked:
So true especially in Daily B.
No improvement to my time for Watkins Glen. I came close, but pesky off track penalties were the bane of my existence.

My first race had me in P2 to start. And that's where I finished as P1 was quick and P3 was never a threat at any point. A fantastic confidence boost after that one.

Race 2 put me on pole! I do not understand why drivers insist on going 2 wide in the bus stop. It happened twice in my battle with P2. Fortunately we both survived and carried on. Our battle had us exchanging spots and I came out victorious in the end! They said I did something cheap to win. I didn't see anything outside of normal corner defending in the replay. So, no idea what that was about.

View attachment 1324292

I FINALLY got my 10th win in GT7. It might not be a lot for others, but I'm just glad to get that off of my back so to say. A much better night of racing obviously for me. I had a blast a racing on my "home" track and can't wait to get back at it again. I do need to find a Rexy racing suit and helmet to match the car
Congrats and always loved the Rex livery on the 911!

Improved my Race B time down to 1:45.1 yesterday with the SLS and had some very good races. I was super dialed in through every corner in every race. Problem is, today is a new day and I am basically starting fresh. Maybe that comes with age but I am losing ~0.3 seconds during sleep it seems :lol:
Not much can be done unfortunately except believing the "110% through every corner" guys will screw up at some point during the race.
Yes, I need to chill more in those situations and let them do their thing. They usually kill each other at some point during the race.

Last edited:
I’m working from home today so luckily got the chance at 3 races on my lunch, 4 laps for sure is not enough for this race b, managed to claw forward 4-5 places in each by really relying on penalties and road rage ahead to do that. The pace is frantic to say the least and if you’re luckily enough to get through the chicane in one piece on the first lap, there’s some good racing going on (mostly 🤣)

I’m working from home today so luckily got the chance at 3 races on my lunch, 4 laps for sure is not enough for this race b, managed to claw forward 4-5 places in each by really relying on penalties and road rage ahead to do that. The pace is frantic to say the least and if you’re luckily enough to get through the chicane in one piece on the first lap, there’s some good racing going on (mostly 🤣)
Again, here it is Thursday and not a single lap...grrrr. Usually means I'm trying to learn the course when everyone else is working on shaving thousandths off their laps. I be the Friday Night Jam Car.😁

Oh well, kinda how I approach most things, it seems. Like skiing...was on the beginner slopes for a year until someone dragged me over to a black diamond and said "...you'll figure it out, trust me. Stay focused, don't die. Easy!" Just jump in there it is.🤣

Congrats on making moves up the ladder. TBH, not sure how else you're supposed to make it happen. Close times, close competition, battle 'on.' These sprints are akin to starving us for a month, setting up a buffet in the middle of the room and telling us to form a single file line to eat...simply NOT happenin'. I'm glad to get the positions when/where I can. Attrition, mistakes, penalties, happy to capitalize on them all! Just no punts or side-swipes.👍

:cheers:

Why is it that whenever I’m running quali laps while waiting for the next race, I end up obliterating my best time on the last lap, only to have it interrupted by the beginning of the race, and then I can’t come anywhere near as close the next time I do quali laps?! Like, seriously.

Be that as it may, I guess I’ll give @GrumpyOldMan a nudge on the Watkins Glen leaderboard:

IMG_3308.jpeg

I was able to gain a few tenths after said race. I may be at my limit though.
Speaking of super sweaty races like Race B this week. This will probably sound stupid but I have to ask because I am curious.
Lets say you start top 5 and the guys in front of you have a bit of a fight right from the green light and get a bit out of shape around some corners and you have to brake a bit earlier etc. to no cause chaos. And because of that the guys behind you get super impatient. Do you force the issue and play super aggressive? I never know what to do in those situations. I normally cut the guys some slack but you just get eaten by the guys behind you because they only see the car in front of them (you) and not what is going on further up and why you are not 110% through every corner. Often times you lose 2, 3 or more places because of that.

This is happening over and over this week and I agree the race format is to blame. It's only 4 laps and people already have no patience to begin with.
I ran one race only this morning in B and had exactly your scenario. I started P10 so I was just trying to cruise and enjoy the race, but on lap 1 leading onto the bus stop things got jumbled. I took the outside line while overtaking someone who took the middle line. We approached the bus stop and my intention was to break softly a touch early to let him get through, but a Hurracán behind me had other plans. He rear-ended me through the chicane while someone else hit the guy beside me. Somehow I flew right on through according to plan and everyone else blew up. Then a few people in front of me ran themselves off or got penalties, and then I was able to take P7. Someone tried to torpedo me at the hard left after the bus stop, but I’m not sure what the story was there. I don’t think it was the person from the chicane but I didn’t watch the replay either, so it may have been either road rage or a missed spot.

Regardless, another driver and I had the track all to ourselves for the next three laps as the leaders were long gone and the pack behind was fighting each other. We had a great race and I was able to cleanly take P6.

All this to say, just drive to survive lap 1 and things usually clear up as the whackadoos take themselves out. If they don’t take you with them, you’re golden! Things got messy for me, but my intention was to be gracious so I don’t feel bad that things worked out the way they did.

Edit: be patient, put pressure on them but be clean. I find that they often usually take themselves out if I can just hang close. I just wish the penalty system worked properly.
It feels like whenever I race this track my car is 40mph slower on that straight than anything else. You have to work with what you have. 😭
My YouTube feed randomly recommended one of you Road Atlanta videos to my last night! I’m one of the two people who “liked” it, although you wouldn’t know because I’m not Bullwinkle in that world. Keep them coming! It’s fun to see your in-meta races!

Last edited:
Why is it that whenever I’m running quali laps while waiting for the next race, I end up obliterating my best time on the last lap, only to have it interrupted by the beginning of the race, and then I can’t come anywhere near as close the next time I do quali laps?! Like, seriously.
Lol! So true, I'll be in the final sector, 1/2 sec up on my best time,... black screen. Arrrgh!!!

Last edited:
I've always loved the V12, but it just doesn't seem fast enough on the straights. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes it does, but not with me driving it. :lol:

EDIT: Improved my time to 1:45.389. Only to have some mofo divebomb me at the bus stop. It's remotely possible he didn't realize we all needed to slow down for the people in front, but only if he was looking at his phone while driving. Way to ruin someone's race, and take the joy out of the moment.

In Watkins glam it’s pretty okay, usually bmw doesn’t catch me on the straight.

I still struggle with the change of grip between the TT qualifying and the actual race. In Race B I am able manage the first corner fine, because the speed isn't that high but the bus stop is still a challenge on the first lap. I always need to remind myself that there is a difference between qualifying and race. The is a difference between qualifying and race, right? :ill:

I still struggle with the change of grip between the TT qualifying and the actual race. In Race B I am able manage the first corner fine, because the speed isn't that high but the bus stop is still a challenge on the first lap. I always need to remind myself that there is a difference between qualifying and race. The is a difference between qualifying and race, right? :ill:
Sort of, well it depends, maybe.

In all seriousness there is a difference, tires aren't quite up to temp. Traffic, latency being in a MP lobby and just first lap nerves.

Also you aren't hitting T1 at the same speed as TT but also in to the bus stop is complex with fractionally colder tires, traffic and lag and genuinely just some people being over cautious or to zealous for the first time round.

I slow my pace for races and take a more stable approach. For most of us QT is either learning or banzai and banzai isn't a good race strategy. Consistent steady comfortable pace will open up time to plan a line, watch for a dive bomber or avoid an incident infront.

Unless you are seriously quick for your lobby and can pound in QT times the extra caution is probably worth more

I think so 😂 I’m a second slower than in quali to say the least.

I usually drive with default ABS only but just to check it out I set counter steering to weak and was able to manage a 1:44.9 at Watkins Glen. 0.2s faster than my previous time. Not sure it had anything to do with it though.

I am back to DR A again. This is where the pain starts again probably.

Last edited:
The biggest change is that QT, regardless of what the fuel gauge states is always optimal for 1 lap that never changes. In race, you have a full tank so you have a lot more weight that affects handling.

The biggest change is that QT, regardless of what the fuel gauge states is always optimal for 1 lap that never changes. In race, you have a full tank so you have a lot more weight that affects handling.
The weight is what get's me every time. Bouncing back-n-forth between 'Sport and '7 made it hugely apparent, to my simple brain anyway, that '7 is WAY 'better' with the weight physics. It's hard to describe but you can definitely feel mass a LOT more in '7, and that's via controller on steam-powered hardware from yesteryear...a PS4. Reminds me, gotta stoke the fires so the boiler is up to temp for later.🤣

Can't express the amount of frustration I am feeling right now.... Did 3 races at Watkins Glen, starting in P12 all times. All three races I was at least in P7 at some point or another! Then I was either blocked by slower car ahead, shoved into grass as I was overtaking or else joining a smash further up the field which I had no way of avoiding.....

Weirdly, I always finished in P8, so I still gained 4 places every time, but still, at least in 2 others, was looking at a top 5 :( Here is one of the examples - First blocked by slower can then running into a complete mess later on :(

Can't express the amount of frustration I am feeling right now.... Did 3 races at Watkins Glen, starting in P12 all times. All three races I was at least in P7 at some point or another! Then I was either blocked by slower car ahead, shoved into grass as I was overtaking or else joining a smash further up the field which I had no way of avoiding.....

Weirdly, I always finished in P8, so I still gained 4 places every time, but still, at least in 2 others, was looking at a top 5 :( Here is one of the examples - First blocked by slower can then running into a complete mess later on :(

That was a bit scrappy at the end there.

However, I would be okay with the result. For me, finishing 8th or higher is considered a successful race these days in the lobbies I get now.

Last edited:
That was a bit scrappy at the end there.

However, I would be okay with the result. For me, finishing 8th or higher is considered a successful race these days in the lobbies I get now.
From your own words, doesn't seem like you had much luck.. And knowing that you're a very good and fair driver, I honestly am sorry to hear things haven't gone well this week so far 🙁 Hope this changes for you ASAP!

I am signing off today with a smile, as my football team (real football, none of that American sausage-ball crap 😂 ) play in a few minutes! Started in P9 and the stars aligned - 6 positions gained for a podium finish with a clean race bonus to boot!

Good luck all, until tomorrow 😀

1706816774739.jpeg
1706816781944.jpeg
1706816792454.jpeg

Last edited:

Not ideal but I think you had made the best out of the situation in the race. ☹️

Did 2 Race B today myself, one that I won mainly due to a bugged lobby (Starting from Pole, car in 2nd stuck on the grid on rolling start holding up 4th and behind), the other one…

Lap 1 - Too cautious at bus stop and that M6 made an AMAZING pass on me. Bumped a Merc off track but he may have blocked a bit and braked early?

Lap 2 - Got pushed wide by someone that a streamer has done a feature video on. Not that bad of a push but lost 2 positions

Lap 3 - For the 1st time this week I passed someone (the same M6 in Lap 1) on the run to the bus stop!

Lap 4 - Not much I can do after going wide in the previous lap and earned myself a penalty. Still finished P6 in one of the better races this week.

Cool to watch someone else’s race view, man it takes an age to get forward at the Glen,

i guess most people would expect to be given room in that first incident but rarely are! Running out of room as a result

good hard fast racing there 👍🏻👊

It would be nice if they let us know that another player does not accept messages before we type them out. :irked:

I just spent 5 minutes trying to explain to another driver what happened to cause the contact between us at race B. It was one of those deals where he blamed me, when I actually got blasted from behind.
Only after you finish, and click send, does it tell you that you can't send it.
Please just let us know when we click on "Send Message" that it's not gonna happen.

I know that it's a PSN thing, and not a PD thing. Seems like an easy fix, though.

Last edited:
Had a weird race start earlier, I was starting 13th (lucky me!), cars all on auto coming round the second to last bend preparing to start, then all cars around mine slowed to walking pace and bunched up before the countdown. Car in front is almost stopped, so I swerve left to go round and catch the end of the Armco barrier, as everyone else speeds off. Through some good fortune and others mistakes, I scraped my way back to 10th.

It would be nice if they let us know that another player does not accept messages before we type them out. :irked:

I just spent 5 minutes trying to explain to another driver what happened to cause the contact between us at race B. It was one of those deals where he blamed me, when I actually got blasted from behind.
Only after you finish, and click send, does it tell you that you can't send it.
Please just let us know when we click on "Send Message" that it's not gonna happen.

I know that it's a PSN thing, and not a PD thing. Seems like an easy fix, though.
2 PSN bans... I've learned. A 4 lap sprint race. I've learned.

It's 7 mins of your life. Don't dwell on it. It doesn't matter. Right, wrong, awkward or deliberate. It's just 7 mins in time. Nobody really cares. I used to think they did but they don't.

Just do the next race.

2 PSN bans....not having that again and want to save you from that. Regardless of what you were going to say, unsolicited messages are a no no if the other player reports it.

I was super dialed in through every corner in every race. Problem is, today is a new day and I am basically starting fresh
This happens to me regularly. I'm old, so maybe that's part of it. But for me, when that happens, I have a tendency of braking too late and trying to push it through corners. So see if you can figure out what your tendencies are - it might help get back up to speed quicker, so to speak.
I absolutely hate when that happens. One thing I pay attention to, though, is if I seem to be running well in the Q laps, I'll exit the race and keep running them outside the lobby. If I'm on a roll, I want to take advantage of it.

But of course that doesn't help if the good lap comes out of the blue.

My YouTube feed randomly recommended one of you Road Atlanta videos to my last night! I’m one of the two people who “liked” it, although you wouldn’t know because I’m not Bullwinkle in that world. Keep them coming! It’s fun to see your in-meta races!
@GOTMAXPOWER Oops! It wasn’t your video I’m referring to! Although I love your switcharoo in your video. I gave it a “like.”

@TechnoIsLove I gave Max credit for your video! Just getting the record straight.

Back