GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,406 comments
You know where I am. Didn't have fun. Waiting for the wife and watch a box set.

At least that decision carnage results in a hug.....

Not been my best week. Good qually awful execution on my part.

To be fair mate I’ve only managed a few quali laps on my lunch and one race, of which mon/tues were one mistake and 13th! So my hopes are not super high, hopefully my only saving grace will be getting up before the kids and race before the aliens wake up this weekend 😂

You gotta love seeing theglen.com all week though?

Deep forest will be fun next week

Enjoy your box set

To be fair mate I’ve only managed a few quali laps on my lunch and one race, of which mon/tues were one mistake and 13th! So my hopes are not super high, hopefully my only saving grace will be getting up before the kids and race before the aliens wake up this weekend 😂

You gotta love seeing theglen.com all week though?

Deep forest will be fun next week

Enjoy your box set
To be fair I've raced a lot while in between jobs. I have a job! Yeay! So I'm a little removed at the moment as I need to prep for the new job.

I'll just be doing less laps. So will need to make them count :)

Also thank you, it's a tv night not a racing night for me.

I just bought 2 BMW Group 3 models, I hope they can do their job and get my time down even more.

EDIT: Got new time using the BMW Sprint model '16, 1'48.913

Tried the DF qualifying session using the NSX Concept '16 and got 1'25.174, so there is still improving to do here.

Last edited:
I managed to improve my WG time by a few tenths to a 44.7xx - which now has me starting around 10th instead of 12th in the 650. Some very tight grids!

Race C has been good but I'm getting put in races with the likes of Wind and other top guys, even though I'm low A - maybe not so many people doing C?

Wish the Merc was available to buy so I could do a livery for it though.

Wrapping up this week of Daily Races with a few more Race B today and ended on high. Actually managed a few passes on track against a tough grid and finished on the podium. Best Race of the week by quite a margin!

Great race to watch, that was super fast and clean

That last lap chicane was impressive

That’s a bunch of fast aliens right there 🤣

Does anyone know what the top speeds for Gr3 cars are? Gt-eng!ne used to track these for each car, but that page is way out of date. Does anyone else track top speeds? @Tidgney would you consider doing a video on top speeds for each car at different tracks, or adding them to each car’s review?

@GrumpyOldMan It was good seeing you in a lobby last night. It looked like maybe you had a respectable finish? That was a tough lobby.

I’ve been seeing a lot of carnage all around me at Watkins Glen, and I’m puzzled as to why I’m not getting sucked in, as is usually the case for me. I think I may have significantly changed something I do after coming back from a layoff, but I’m not sure what it is. Maybe it’s that I’m not pushing too hard in “survival mode,” and not expecting to do well. But that doesn’t account for the lack of crashes. I’m pleasantly surprised, don’t get me wrong, but it feels like I have a force field around me at times. Maybe that’s just temporary until PD get me sucked back in, and then they remove the shield and send me back into my usual existential tailspin?

For those of you who’ve had trouble with shenanigans at the bus stop, I’ve started doing something that’s been very successful for me so far: get a good exit out of T1 on lap 1 (no surprise there) but then I drive right down the middle of the road and get as wide as I can so anyone behind me has to get really nervous about trying to get alongside me. I don’t swerve or anything, I just get right in the middle so they have to think hard about which side they want to take and if it’s actually worth it.

It’s been working surprisingly well for me and I’ve not yet been binned while swinging through. This may not be news for you folks, but it seems to baffle some of the people I’ve been racing against. It gives me a special kind of pleasure imagining them screaming at me or honking their horns in their minds.

My Car profiles do show top speed at Bathurst and when I eventually get to putting them on the website there will be a few speed traps. You can also see the speed at the Oval as I check tyre wear to

My Car profiles do show top speed at Bathurst and when I eventually get to putting them on the website there will be a few speed traps. You can also see the speed at the Oval as I check tyre wear to
Thank you! I don’t know how I missed that before you mentioned it. I’ve seen enough of the profile videos that I must space out at that point. Thanks for all the work you do!!!!!

Wooohooo the 'Glen is a blast...finally got a couple laps in today.😁

This is a tasty place to throw a car around. Like, McDLT in the styrofoam good. I've said before that I'm weird and dig chicanes. Bus stops have become one of my faves and this one is a blast. Getting it (sorta) right is very rewarding. Now I gotta keep destroying cars in the last section until I figure that out...the last four turns are killin' my laps.

Riding high on hittin' 45's I went full dumb and jumped into a Friday Night Smackdown event. Racing was surprisingly clean, unsurprisingly quick. Qualifier has me at P9 so the action was a plenty. Made it up to sixth only to gift back two of my three earned spots thanks to a penalty...I hate penalties. Completely avoidable, all on me. Damn...oh well, still up one and had fun, can't beat that.👍

:cheers:

Late to the party this week. Finally jumped into B as WG is a track I really like. Got a 1:46.1 in the 458 (a car I liked at Laguna recently).

Some good, close, clean-ish racing in B/S lobbies.

Couldn’t figure out, though, how much quicker the M6 is? Like is it Mazda Gr4 level meta (doubtful)? And is its advantage in straight line/top end speed?

I saw you in a race earlier - I also finished 2nd. 2nd last that is :(
Racing had been really close in those A/A+ lobbies so finishing without making mistake alone is already an achievement! Had a few lowly finishes (10th+) myself in those lobby too - one 0.5s penalty alone could lose me 3-4 positions!
Couldn’t figure out, though, how much quicker the M6 is? Like is it Mazda Gr4 level meta (doubtful)? And is its advantage in straight line/top end speed?
I found the M6s excel in high speed corners/grip (Which is basically the entire track) and mid-range/rev acceleration. Other cars (i.e. McLaren) could still beat them in slow corner exit and the absolute top end (End of 5th gear) on the run led to bus stop. So I wouldn't say it is Mazda 3 level meta.

Last edited:
Well race at WG last night where really tough.
I should have stop after the first two , seeing how it was all about pushing other .
But well did not race much this B i wanted to be a bit more confident on the track so i did quite a few.
At the end even when you try everything to avoid contact , in some race even accept to be 11/12 to do so , player will just use me as an additionnal brake. Late braker every corner when i tried to have clean exit .
All together results where not too bad exept for sr rating , but was good practice.
So this morning i decide to have a go again , so funny even if i was in lobby where we were all sr A/B , all the race where clean and fair with great battle and managed few podium.
Did also a 3 clean race bonus that i'm really pleased with.
So to all of you that as me got sometimes fed up being pushed , don't go mad breath and accept small contact happens and wait next race or day and you are going have tremendous fun.
From a dr C driver

Last edited:
Back for more Watkins Glen tonight. I tired out the Huracan to see if I could make that work. Turns out that car doesn't like the bus stop too much and I crashed with every attempt at it. I switched to the McLaren and was only a few tenths behind the Porsche time. I might be able to get a new time in that.

Anyway, my first race has me in P4 and the only thing to report is me getting tapped on the rear entering the bus stop. My guess is they misjudged the speed of the car as they were in my slip and didn't adjust properly. They didn't give the spot back and that was dumb. The driver in P2 got an off track penalty on the last lap and I finished in P4.

My second race had me in P3 to start. I got dive-bombed entering turn 6 on lap 1, and we both reach the apex at the same time. But they intentionally hit my car as we get back up to speed and send me off track. I'm beyond furious and treat the race as a practice session. Which is hard when I pick up multiple off track penalties. After all of that nonsense, I finish P14.

My third race has me back in P3. The first lap goes fine but a driver decided to have the brilliant idea of going side by side into the bus stop. I don't back down, but I lose 2 spots as a result. I get a 1 second penalty in the bus stop and fall down the field even farther to P11. And to add insult to injury, I hit the wall on the last turn on the last lap and somehow I get pointed at, and hit the barrels on the pit lane entry wall. Another P14 finish.

Being a glutton for punishment, I do one more race. I'm in P5 this time and once again I get moved out of the way via incidental contact and they don't give the position back. They got a penalty and I got my spot back in the end with a P5 finish. The rest of the race was clean enough for me.

Extremely frustrating night of racing. I still love the combo at the Glen so that won't stop me for the week. Here's hoping for smother sailing tomorrow.
Lamborghini: never be entirely off throttle, a small amount of gas settle the car down and makes it cross curbs OK

Last edited:
I thoroughly regret qualifying for B this week.

My consistency is a little off because I'm pushing too hard first lap, and quite frankly if I'm last of the late breakers to hit a low 45 or 44 time I'm very very very shocked to see the guy who started in 8th steaming up the inside of me.

I just don't get the mentality sometimes of some drivers. I raced with a well known guy who was absolutely clean as a whistle and showed great race pace and craft.

It's everyone else that was absolutely bloody awful. Admittedly my mood changed after binning it 2 times from pole at the bustop exit.

The thing I often wonder about, is the reason I'm on pole in these races is because I know the line. Where they are 1s back clearly they don't, and if they do aren't bothered about driving it and putting in a better time.

So that leads me to wonder. What is the absolute point of TT qualifying? It favours those who (and I include myself, will grind out laps) vs those who do a few laps and will "make up places" in a race.

I don't know which approach is right or wrong but it's definitely a split camp on it.
Actually I believe it needs both. You need to grind to be fast, but you need a lot of race experience to adapt to changing lines, other people's mistakes and opportunities.
If you are predominantly a TT grinder you might very well be very fast when alone on the track but it's very hard to gain real race craft in this way. I did run an awful lot of races in GTS, about 1400 or so and that combined with loads of league races with people faster than me has me me pretty good at adaptation. I almost always move up in comparison to my QT because I don't spend much time in TT as I am utterly bored by it. But that last thing hinders me.

I am probably burnout of the game now though because I don't race very much now.

Late to the party this week. Finally jumped into B as WG is a track I really like. Got a 1:46.1 in the 458 (a car I liked at Laguna recently).

Well I used my BMW Sprint model '16 for an hour and I finally achieved a time of 1'48.913. I'm still going to push harder to lower my time even more, I got Sectors 1 and 2 nailed down, it's just Sector 3 is the harder one. The parts after you pass the Coca-cola sign. Well I'm getting ready to do some more races at WG this morning. I hope I can get some good results today!

What's your status so far?

well guys I'm fixing to do my first race at DF, I chose the CLK which gave me a time of 1'24.739! It's a quick car so 14 laps will be a semi-breeze to do.

EDIT: I just finished in 6th place in the CLK, I did get a big penalty for cutting the pit lane when entering, I did not change any tires, I just refueled and drove off. 7 people quit, it was only a 13-player race. I earned about 20k credits so I'll take it.

Last edited:
Well I used my BMW Sprint model '16 for an hour and I finally achieved a time of 1'48.913. I'm still going to push harder to lower my time even more, I got Sectors 1 and 2 nailed down, it's just Sector 3 is the harder one. The parts after you pass the Coca-cola sign. Well I'm getting ready to do some more races at WG this morning. I hope I can get some good results today!

What's your status so far?
Just curious if you ever use other people’s ghosts to help with practice?
I find that it is very helpful to be able to follow and see where I’m losing time.
Especially when it comes to track limits 🍻

well guys I'm fixing to do my first race at DF, I chose the CLK which gave me a time of 1'24.739! It's a quick car so 14 laps will be a semi-breeze to do.

EDIT: I just finished in 6th place in the CLK, I did get a big penalty for cutting the pit lane when entering, I did not change any tires, I just refueled and drove off. 7 people quit, it was only a 13-player race. I earned about 20k credits so I'll take it.
C in that CLK, on softs, is wonderful fun to fling around that track in VR this week.

On flat it just feels like another car, but man..somehow in vr it transforms into beautiful old girl with personality.

Not only that, its long enough to make it the least sweaty and cleanest races of the year so far.

Won't lie - nearly peed a little earlier this afternoon :D Started P12 at Watkins Glen and by avoiding all the mayhem (and there was a lot) I finished lap 1 in P6 and doing well. Made some minor mistakes but nothing which affected my race.

Then... I caught up to the 2 ahead and it slowed me down quite a bit, enough for P7 behind me to catch up to me. And as we ended Sector 1 on the final lap, side by side after he used the slipstream on me. As we approached the chicane, he hits me and I go sideways, still controlling the car, but I also hit the barrier!

By some miracle, the car held! Just a few degrees more to the right and I would have blown up the car with a much heavier contact with the barrier! Still finished in P6 though :)

1706967308127.jpeg
1706967319799.jpeg

I might be stupid for choosing the BRZ in Daily Race B, but I had fun rushing in the corners! Even if the start (or in most straights) leaves me as fresh meat for most Gr.3s in the grid, it's the eventual chaos right at the front that gives me the chance to gain some spots. So far I managed to set a 1:45.112 quali time.

I’ve been trying to figure the same things out! I’m set my fastest time in the Mercedes until I got a lucky lap in the 911. I tried to run the BMW and am a full second slower. I can’t figure out how people make up their time on it.
I found the M6s excel in high speed corners/grip (Which is basically the entire track) and mid-range/rev acceleration. Other cars (i.e. McLaren) could still beat them in slow corner exit and the absolute top end (End of 5th gear) on the run led to bus stop. So I wouldn't say it is Mazda 3 level meta.
That’s good to know. I’m able to stay relevant in the AMG but I can’t stay consistent in the McLaren. I just want to figure out what is making the BMW so meta for so long!
If it helps, back in December (pre-BoP update) I did a few qualifying laps in each of the Gr.3 cars at Deep Forest and posted optimal lap times and top speeds here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt7-daily-race-discussion.404847/post-14160821
This is great! Thanks! The Gt-eng!ne page has the times on a graph so you can see which cars have top speed at different points, which is incredibly useful to gauge acceleration up to top speed, how long it takes to get there, etc. top speeds will be different at different tracks based on that info. But the stats are way outdated. I’m still grateful for the BoP information there though.

My DR should have gone up a little bit. I wish I had a chart to see my progress overtime.
I wrote a program for this, which a lot of people are using - you've probably seen screenshots and charts from it. It's called GranTracker. It's free, and there's a dedicated thread for it:

Finally got into the 1.45s…..

Only just though, brutal racing this arvo, lots of plums out there trying to plough through and hope for the best

But bits of good racing between

Almost won my first race earlier, started p4 and couldn’t quite turn it into a win, had to settle on p2 - but was super clean

Attachments

• IMG_3339.jpeg
    IMG_3339.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 7
That’s good to know. I’m able to stay relevant in the AMG but I can’t stay consistent in the McLaren. I just want to figure out what is making the BMW so meta for so long!
It's a combination of factors.

Its length and weight distribution help it feel balanced which really helps cornering speed and exit and also confidence.

Being a big engine turbo the mid range is really torquey so exits are quite punchy. It is relatively low revving as well which helps flatten the torque vs power curves.

For me the main factor is probably the proportions/mass are really usable and predictable.

It suffers both power understeer and power over steer which is a sign of good balance and means you can abuse both.

The 650 is exceptionally stable on corner exit but the rear mass really makes understeer more apparent if you get it wrong for example.

The AMG is also strong because of the mid front engine layout, long wheel base and very linear power delivery.

Won't lie - nearly peed a little earlier this afternoon :D Started P12 at Watkins Glen and by avoiding all the mayhem (and there was a lot) I finished lap 1 in P6 and doing well. Made some minor mistakes but nothing which affected my race.

Then... I caught up to the 2 ahead and it slowed me down quite a bit, enough for P7 behind me to catch up to me. And as we ended Sector 1 on the final lap, side by side after he used the slipstream on me. As we approached the chicane, he hits me and I go sideways, still controlling the car, but I also hit the barrier!

By some miracle, the car held! Just a few degrees more to the right and I would have blown up the car with a much heavier contact with the barrier! Still finished in P6 though :)

View attachment 1324920View attachment 1324921

Had a similar race yesterday, I think I started 10th and finished 3…. That was a feeling AND with clean race bonus 😂 I just drove and didn’t do much else, just stayed on track and luckily out of trouble 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

Back