GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,403 comments
Much prefer this week over last week although Daily Race A is a tad crazy! C is great as there's some strategy at least in my opinion! Here's the guide :).

Ty for this usefull and entertaining guide.

Been doing Race A and it's great fun .
But it's mark no loose of dr and sr , look AT the race i just finish the third had loss of both Hope for him it's just a graphics bug.
18d55c7110059-60b3f7c451a213aa220827777b6d733309a38dde-651_message_436874510971862_1706541058483.jpg

Hope everyone is going to have fun on the different race

So what's the car for Race B after the BoP update?
The Merc or the Beemer Sprint Model.

There are a few alien 650s and the odd other car but seems like the German barges are the current go to.

Which is a shame as the Corvette or Lexus should have been BoP'd to match the performance around Watkins as it's a track very much suited to them :(

My beemer time after 100 miles

IMG_0123.jpeg

Last edited:
The Merc or the Beemer Sprint Model.

There are a few alien 650s and the odd other car but seems like the German barges are the current go to.

Which is a shame as the Corvette or Lexus should have been BoP'd to match the performance around Watkins as it's a track very much suited to them :(

I hit a 1.46 odd after 3 or 4 laps in the Porsche, sure there’s more to be had. Was having a close race at lunch earlier when some wazzock decided to sit behind a ghosting car serving a 0.5 until it came back to life and he hit it and took that out on a few us, finished p14 but I reckon there’s some good racing to be had this week. Gonna try that BM tomorrow

Hello, quick update. I have not been to bed yet. I got a seond wind and stayed up all night and half the morning, so I did 7-8 races at Watkins Glen this morning, got a superb time of 1'50.602. I'll show you all the vidoes shortly.

I think I received much better results using my R.S.01 GT3 car, than the Porsche RSR. So I'm sticking with that. I wonder how far it will lower my lap times, that's the million dollar question. I had some good races that I'd like you all to see.

The first one I almost got the pole time, but started 3rd, so watch and see how things went. One race I got in a pile-up with cost me 9 positions so I didn't even bother recording that one. Well it's getting late and I have to go soon. I'm excited about the new races, the snow track will be fun to race at.

Good luck out there y'all!

Last edited:
14 laps at Deep Forest seems tedious, and what if the wi-fi connection gets lost during the race? Idk, I know I'll keep doing the Lake Louise and W.G. races as much as I can.

Can somebody please explain why there's are no Group 1 daily races anymore? Always only Group 3 or 4 or 2 or something. No Group 1. I'm sad. Back in the days with Gran Tourismo Sport there have been regular Group 1 daily races.....

Special prize (without any value) to the first person to get the pun in the article title :D

Ewww, racing on wireless?
I have fiber optics, I pay $60 a month but it is internet with the highest speed there is. It still goes in and out occasionally. Special prize?

Well y'all I'm raced out, I pushed myself this weekend so I need to catch up on sleep, bye! I love the snow track event race though.

Last edited:
I have fiber optics, I pay $60 a month but it is internet with the highest speed there is.
"Speed" (it's actually width) isn't relevant once you get over about 25Mbps (provided no-one else in the house is streaming 4K video; that's when extra bandwidth helps); latency and stability are. Wireless is worse for both, especially if the router and console are on opposite sides of something that can cause interference like a microwave oven or vacuum cleaner.

Wiring your console in is step one to an optimised connection.

I have fiber optics, I pay $60 a month but it is internet with the highest speed there is. It still goes in and out occasionally. Special prize?

Well y'all I'm raced out, I pushed myself this weekend so I need to catch up on sleep, bye! I love the snow track event race though.
Perhaps you are referring to WiFi generically? Hopefully you have your PlayStation connected to your router using an ethernet cable. If not and you really are using WiFi, then I would strongly recommend connecting with a cable.

WiFi has latency and can get interference from walls, electrical, neighbors that can cause momentary glitches in your connect that affects your racing. Wired on the other hand removes that variable leaving only your service provider. For me, that is AT&T Fiber which is 1Gbps synchronous and has NEVER dropped. Saying that a squirrel will probably chew through my fiber line now.....

Last edited:
I love this sort of discussion.

WiFi is not inherently bad, home set ups can be.

Ping and jitter are more important than anything. The game will quite happily run on lower throughput data as long as the ping (the time it takes to reach other players) and the jitter (the fluctuation in that delivery of data) is low.

Having a huge download speed is pointless if your ping is high and your jitter is high.

Smooth and steady is all that is needed. Huge numbers for download and upload speed aren't. Wired or WiFi

Edit: I play with WiFi and have full green bar races but others in the lobby have less than ideal connections OR PSN is running slow so it settles on yellow bars.

I have had zero race difference or connection difference with wired or WiFi, but I make sure the WiFi signal is well pathed in my house. No heavy metals, odd angles or glass in the way.

Modern WiFi is more than capable and modern 4 and 5G also more than capable in less congested areas.

I mean it's the whole reason the new portable exists to remote play on WiFi or mobile wireless?

Last edited:

Ping and jitter are more important than anything. The game will quite happily run on lower throughput data as long as the ping (the time it takes to reach other players) and the jitter (the fluctuation in that delivery of data) is low.

Having a huge download speed is pointless if your ping is high and your jitter is high.

Smooth and steady is all that is needed. Huge numbers for download and upload speed aren't. Wired or WiFi
No, Wifi in and of itself is not inherently bad. It is however subject to more external influencing than wired. Especially if the wire is shielded cable.

If @Chris30 is experiencing connection drops, the first thing to change is the device connection medium. If he still gets drops, the next thing is router configuration. I reckon he needs to determine if the modem is de-synching as well. No matter what, connection stability, "smooth and steady" as you say, is required. More so for GT than many other online purposes.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Wifi is the devil when used for GT Online but, it's certainly one of his flunkies.

Edit: I play with WiFi and have full green bar races but others in the lobby have less than ideal connections OR PSN is running slow so it settles on yellow bars.

I have had zero race difference or connection difference with wired or WiFi, but I make sure the WiFi signal is well pathed in my house. No heavy metals, odd angles or glass in the way.

Modern WiFi is more than capable and modern 4 and 5G also more than capable in less congested areas.

I mean it's the whole reason the new portable exists to remote play on WiFi or mobile wireless?
No I agree but there is still a variable associated with it. If I'm in the same room as one of my three radios I will get >600mbps and ping speeds <30ms. Add in a wall or two (particularly as my house has 100 year old lath and plaster walls) and it can drop to <20mbps with a higher ping.

On ethernet though, that variability is gone and the ping to my ISP is super fast. I just benchmarked it and got:
Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 12.19.29 PM.png

Mostly my connection is solid green but I have had days where it has been yellow of even red/one bar. At those times I assume it to be congestion to the Sony servers rather than anything on my end.

Still you have to marvel at the fact we are even having this discussion. Just 25 years ago I would not have thought I would be real-time on-line racing on servers on the other side of the planet with millisecond performance.

EDIT: as for throughput. While it might not affect game performance, it does make uploading videos to Youtube of your victorious/disasterous race more snappy! :)

Last edited:
No, Wifi in and of itself is not inherently bad. It is however subject to more external influencing than wired. Especially if the wire is shielded cable.

If @Chris30 is experiencing connection drops, the first thing to change is the device connection medium. If he still gets drops, the next thing is router configuration. I reckon he needs to determine if the modem is de-synching as well. No matter what, connection stability, "smooth and steady" as you say, is required. More so for GT than many other online purposes.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Wifi is the devil when used for GT Online but, it's certainly one of his flunkies.
I literally said home setups can be bad.

The thing is almost always not a router issue. 10 years ago maybe when NAT type was more of an issue in game development for network architecture.

Unless you live in somewhere massively under serviced you can get a game, hence the patch red bar guys we face on occasion.

But I can guarantee from personal experience I've had red bar races while the test, and ookla are telling me I'm more than fine. Next race (not moved from the seat, wife and daughter were out, dog was laid in bed)

That WiFi or router had anything to do with it. I'd imagine my trunk provider (sky/bt) was having issues rather than the bits I can control.

Edit: we are way beyond having to DMZ our consoles to work around provider port limitations.

Everything is plug and play including WiFi, just some homes don't support it as well as others.

Last edited:
Guys.... I did a thing 😂 I was thinking that I was finding the wheel (DD Pro) a bit too tough in terms of resistance, in relation to trying to find a balance between precision and control for Race B. So I had an idea...... I tested a theory of reducing resistance (in-game settings) and increase sensitivity and it worked - I still had the precision but the wheel was much faster to turn.
I don’t know if you’ve done a lot of research on this, but there is a devoted thread in the forums here:

I’ve found the Fanatec forums to be very useful too in figuring out what all the settings mean, etc., here:
I don’t know any to presume that you haven’t done your homework, but just in case . . . .

Ok, so I have to admit, I LOVE WATKINS GLEN! It was the first track I fell in love with, and I love Gr3 on it, especially with RM this week! I’m going to love racing again. I had a couple laps to qualify and ran a couple of races and didn’t totally embarrass myself! I’m not back to where I was a year ago, but I’m loving that I want to try to do better this week!

On the other hand, I sure wish Race C wasn’t a CLK Cup. I wish there was actual strategy. Womble even volunteered to set up Race C events for PD so that they aren’t so horrible. They are so lame.

Last edited:
Getting back to actual racing...

Just had my first WG race in the R.S.01. Started P11, ended P9, threw away P7 on one of the last turns. Lobby was A+/A.

A couple of things are semi-clear at the start:
  1. The R.S.01 is probably too slow on the straights to be competitive. This would normally be hard to tell from just one race, except it was pretty obvious. However...
  2. ...it appears that the R.S.01 can take medium-to-high-speed corners at higher speeds and remain stable - more so than the people around me. Perhaps that's just 1st-day driving problems, but if not, then the R.S.01 might be a good choice. Time will tell.
  3. A Beetle started and ended in the top 4. It was an A+ driver, so he's obviously got some skills, but I wonder if we'll see more of them?
  4. RM's!!!!! So much more fun that hards.
  5. And finally, although I'm at DR A 22%, I seriously doubt I'll finish this week as an A. Where's that POS Mazda when I need it? :lol:

I don’t know if you’ve done a lot of research on this, but there is a devoted thread in the forums here:

I’ve found the Fanatec forums to be very useful too in figuring out what all the settings mean, etc., here:
I don’t know any to presume that you haven’t done your homework, but just in case . . . .

Ok, so I have to admit, I LOVE WATKINS GLEN! It was the first track I fell in love with, and I love Gr3 on it, especially with RM this week! I’m going to love racing again. I had a couple laps to qualify and ran a couple of races and didn’t totally embarrass myself! I’m not back to where I was a year ago, but I’m loving that I want to try to do better this week!

On the other hand, I sure wish Race C wasn’t a CLK Cup. I wish there was actual strategy. Womble even volunteered to set up Race C events for PD so that they aren’t so horrible. They are so lame.
Didn't do much to dial into Race B yet, mostly trying different cars for 3 laps each but I have a strong feeling I will be nowhere close to having the speed and success I had last week... It's killing me inside I cannot tweak the suspension and diff sensitivity around this track, especially with being lucky enough to have PD bless us with RM instead of RH tires for Race B 😂 ⚰️

Will take a look at that thread for sure, thank you sir!

Last edited:

I'm sticking with my Fanatec settings. I've posted in that thread what they are. As for race C, I'll skip that I think. Really don't care for the CLK.

I like it when there's variety of cars in the race. For all the Mazda3 dominance, last week, I actually had (mostly in A+/A races) several B races where there was quite a lot of variety of cars. It seems the A+/A crowd avoided the Mazda 3 more-so than the B crowd.
Getting back to actual racing...

Just had my first WG race in the R.S.01. Started P11, ended P9, threw away P7 on one of the last turns. Lobby was A+/A.

A couple of things are semi-clear at the start:
  1. The R.S.01 is probably too slow on the straights to be competitive. This would normally be hard to tell from just one race, except it was pretty obvious. However...
  2. ...it appears that the R.S.01 can take medium-to-high-speed corners at higher speeds and remain stable - more so than the people around me. Perhaps that's just 1st-day driving problems, but if not, then the R.S.01 might be a good choice. Time will tell.
  3. A Beetle started and ended in the top 4. It was an A+ driver, so he's obviously got some skills, but I wonder if we'll see more of them?
  4. RM's!!!!! So much more fun that hards.
  5. And finally, although I'm at DR A 22%, I seriously doubt I'll finish this week as an A. Where's that POS Mazda when I need it? :lol:
You may be surprise to find that you maintain your DR position. I find in races where I do not do so well I actually lose less DR than expected as there are more A+ in the race offsetting the DR calculation. Then next race, it is if the algorithm wants you to do well, you then get placed in an easier lobby where you can succeed easier. Rinse and repeat.

That said I'll probably....
car crash GIF

Last edited:
Gonna admit this early as I don't mind acknowledging my failures 🤣 Congrats to @Nebuc72 @newmedia_dev @TheNormsk and everyone else who will demolish my time at Watkins Glen this week!

I know I can improve but it won't be anywhere good enough to be remotely close to the times you already managed!

The only good thing is, although relatively slow over a single lap, I don't struggle to keep it steady and consistent throughout a race. I know it's a one-off but race 1 of the week, started 14th and finished in P7 with a clean race bonus to boot 😁🥳

Called it a night as exhausted from work but my focus and attention for the week will be Race C. Good luck all 😎😁

Also, I too am on WiFi but have a 2GB fibre connection with the modem being a few feet away from PS5/ And yes, I am too lazy to go to a store to buy a 1m cable to have a wired connection 🤫 😂

Attachments

• 18d56dab48678-screenshotUrl (1).jpg
    18d56dab48678-screenshotUrl (1).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 18d56daccb218-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18d56daccb218-screenshotUrl.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Gonna admit this early as I don't mind acknowledging my failures 🤣 Congrats to @Nebuc72 @newmedia_dev @TheNormsk and everyone else who will demolish my time at Watkins Glen this week!

I know I can improve but it won't be anywhere good enough to be remotely close to the times you already managed!

The only good thing is, although relatively slow over a single lap, I don't struggle to keep it steady and consistent throughout a race. I know it's a one-off but race 1 of the week, started 14th and finished in P7 with a clean race bonus to boot 😁🥳

Called it a night as exhausted from work but my focus and attention for the week will be Race C. Good luck all 😎😁

Put your big boy pants on. It's only Monday!

Also, I too am on WiFi but have a 2GB fibre connection with the modem being a few feet away from PS5/ And yes, I am too lazy to go to a store to buy a 1m cable to have a wired connection 🤫 😂

Hahaha I've done mine in the ruddy F1, you can definitely beat it!

Back