GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,029 comments
With headphones things like wind noise (easier to tell if you are in the slip stream) and tire noise unless you have turned that down are easier to hear.

Mentally though headphones can increase the feeling of intensity when racing and driving as the sound is clearer and directly going in to your ears.

Some people prefer that others not so much and other aren't bothered either way.

A fun thing to try is to mute your TV and do a couple of laps, and then do a couple with the sound on. For me at least the audio side of "feeling" the car has quite an impact on my performance.

I don't know. Thankfully I'm somewhere where having things on loud isn't an issue so with a surround sound setup and subwoofer next to the pedal unit it can be far more immersive IMO than with headphones on that get sore or uncomfortable as well after having them on a while.

Yes, racing in silence is the best thing to do as music is distracting to our minds.
You know you can turn the music off for races so you only hear the car noises?

image.jpg

I don't know. Thankfully I'm somewhere where having things on loud isn't an issue so with a surround sound setup and subwoofer next to the pedal unit it can be far more immersive IMO than with headphones on that get sore or uncomfortable as well after having them on a while.
I mean, yeah. If you have a sound system like that I have no doubt 😁

I mean, yeah. If you have a sound system like that I have no doubt 😁
Thing is it wasn't even expensive, the surround sound was around €30 on Amazon. Maybe it's just me but I'd still prefer it to headphones even if it was just two forward facing stereo speakers.

It is extra sexy changing gears with the woofer turned right up in something like the Corvette or Merc and having it rattle the floor :D

Last edited:
Thing is it wasn't even expensive, the surround sound was around €30 on Amazon. Maybe it's just me but I'd still prefer it to headphones even if it was just two forward facing stereo speakers.

It is extra sexy changing gears with the woofer turned right up in something like the Corvette or Merc and having it rattle the floor :D
I rarely use my headphones but where my rig is and the size of the room (think the tv and rig touch the walls either side and I'm by a window) a sound setup is out of the question.

I mostly use the tin like tv speakers or headphones. That said what I'm listening for is tyre slip and opponents so it doesn't need a huge amount of aural fidelity for me.

But it's all horses for courses and preference/home set up/time of day you race etc.

Am I the only one thinking how unfortunate it is that you have to drive 30 minutes to date your wife, and then go home?!
Trust me, it was worth it. I can say that with complete confidence, 40 years later.
Unfortunate or Fortunate? It all depends on the car he was driving.
It was a 1st-gen RX7, and it was a complete and total blast to drive. And even though I had a 2nd-gen convertible, and a 3rd-gen twin-turbo later on, I think that one was the most fun to drive. I could power-slide the thing around corners like nobody's business. It was almost perfectly balanced, and with the right tires, you could get great feedback from the car to know exactly how to work the gas.

Of course, I got the most tickets with that one. Almost lost my license.

Good times. :)

@mellofello9 nice racing with you tonight. Wish I could’ve hung around longer but I was spent. Always fun to race with other people from GTP. Not too many of us are still rocking the PS4.
🍻
Good to see you out there and hope I didn't so anything stupid...ran a TON of races and it's all a bit blurry at the moment. I forget that one of the reasons I don't see may from the same 'Planet is due to my wind-up hardware so always good to see a familiar face.:cheers:

What a freakin' week. Thought Spa + Gr.4 was gonna be 'grab a six-pack and enjoy the sights along the way' material. It is not. Been some amazing racing, sans my screw-ups. Thought I was doomed initially, started one in the 6 PM EST slot and went from 6th to DFL. Then some stars aligned, or something...

Ran eight races Friday night and only missed the podium twice. Not sure what secret sauce I was smokin' but the results were delicious. Minted a shiny new 'W' to rekindle what that feels like. I missed that. Showed on Saturday. I was able to turn the heat up even more and landed 5 more + a bunch of podium. Teamed-up with a couple rivers on a bunch of runs and we were gappin' the field by 6 - 10 secs. This is not normal for me.😁

So Spa and I get along pretty well, it seems. Was a great rebound from the two previous weeks. I was having a lot of fun while losing a LOT of Dr. It's not something I typically watch until I'm getting towards the bottom of a level...then I pay attention a bit. I went from 15% to 80%+ in two days. This will not last so imma enjoy the moment.🤣

:cheers:

PS - @Chris30 couple things that helped me were finding a car early to focus on (not switching constantly), turning on the racing line and pretending I was a slot car. Keep running it smoothing out your entries/exits with each lap. You'll get there. You asked how I got into the 29's. My first pass @ 2:29.9xx was posted a couple pages back.👍

PPS - Oh, and @ILLEAGLE_34 ,my reaction when I noticed I now had TWO people to chase on my friends list...
bastard.gif

Nice lap!😁

Good to see you out there and hope I didn't so anything stupid...ran a TON of races and it's all a bit blurry at the moment. I forget that one of the reasons I don't see may from the same 'Planet is due to my wind-up hardware so always good to see a familiar face.:cheers:

What a freakin' week. Thought Spa + Gr.4 was gonna be 'grab a six-pack and enjoy the sights along the way' material. It is not. Been some amazing racing, sans my screw-ups. Thought I was doomed initially, started one in the 6 PM EST slot and went from 6th to DFL. Then some stars aligned, or something...

Ran eight races Friday night and only missed the podium twice. Not sure what secret sauce I was smokin' but the results were delicious. Minted a shiny new 'W' to rekindle what that feels like. I missed that. Showed on Saturday. I was able to turn the heat up even more and landed 5 more + a bunch of podium. Teamed-up with a couple rivers on a bunch of runs and we were gappin' the field by 6 - 10 secs. This is not normal for me.😁

So Spa and I get along pretty well, it seems. Was a great rebound from the two previous weeks. I was having a lot of fun while losing a LOT of Dr. It's not something I typically watch until I'm getting towards the bottom of a level...then I pay attention a bit. I went from 15% to 80%+ in two days. This will not last so imma enjoy the moment.🤣

PS - @Chris30 couple things that helped me were finding a car early to focus on (not switching constantly), turning on the racing line and pretending I was a slot car. Keep running it smoothing out your entries/exits with each lap. You'll get there. You asked how I got into the 29's. My first pass @ 2:29.9xx was posted a couple pages back.👍

PPS - Oh, and @ILLEAGLE_34 ,my reaction when I noticed I now had TWO people to chase on my friends list...
View attachment 1329169
Nice lap!😁
Thanks it only took me like 75-100 miles last night lol. Probably a good 300 miles in between two accounts.
I forgot to mention that I was racing under OCULUS_34 when we raced 🍻

Thanks it only took me like 75-100 miles last night lol. Probably a good 300 miles in between two accounts.
I forgot to mention that I was racing under OCULUS_34 when we raced 🍻
THANK YOU!!!

I was sitting here poring over jumbled memories in my head trying to make sure I hadn't wiped-out a fellow member. 🤣 You caught me on my last couple of races so glad we were able to run some laps. Was fried by that point, too.

Great racin' and see you out there soon!:cheers:

Just finished my morning Race Cs, all in the Porsche.

Race 1: 5AM EST slot. Mixed A+/A/B lobby. Started P8 with QT of 1:59.988. Picked up a 5s penalty on T1 after a the car ahead rammed into the car ahead of them and ping-ponged back into me. Dropped back to P12 after serving the penalty. There was a lot of sloppy driving, and it didn't take me long to climb back to P8 from all the cars going off the track. I focused on driving my fastest laps, letting the faster drivers by and passing them a couple laps later after they binned it. Finished in P5.

Race 2: 6AM EST slot. Mixed lobby again. Started P6 this time (same QT). More sloppy driving. The Twitch streamer was back doing their last-to-first challenges. And one of the other drivers dropped back to join them. By lap 2, I was sitting in P2. Eventually, the streamer and other faster drivers caught up. I bounced around a bit in positions, finishing in P4. This race had the highest attrition rate I've seen all week. Of the 14 cars initially in the lobby, 6 quit by the end.

Race 3: 9AM EST slot. Mixed lobby again, including @Revengel again (great to see you!). Started P7. This race was very different from the other two. Everybody was driving fast and consistently. Not a single crash on lap 1 that I saw. This made it much tougher to rely on my usual strategy of passing drivers who have binned it. I did pick up a few positions that way and managed to climb as high as P5, but the field was too strong and eventually settled back into P8 with a fair gap on either side, where I finished.

I was NOT ready for that 🤣 I thought I just entered the qualy laps but signed up for the race and didn't notice 😅 Hadn't even completed a single lap of practice and when the lobby popped up, I was worried lol. The miles showing above are from 1am this morning not from now...

THANKFULLY I drove well, drivers around me also drove fair and I had 1 single, great opportunity to take advantage of the ones in front slowing each other down just enough for me to overtake all 3 in one single swoop 🥳

1708272651382.jpeg
1708272661163.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 1329169
Nice lap!😁
Thank you for tips and encouragement. I guess I should run consistent laps over and over to beat my PB, maybe find a slightly faster ghost than my 2'33.759 time. Well I'm gonna do as many races as I can at Spa today.

@newmedia_dev I already knew how to set the volume and everything in the settings but I had to turn it back up so people could hear my car's engine.

@TechnoIsLove I saw your race screen results, nice job on the race! In Race 16, I finished in 7th, I started in 5th place but it got intense out there on the track, there were 9 A drivers and 6 B/C drivers.

Thank you for tips and encouragement. I guess I should run consistent laps over and over to beat my PB, maybe find a slightly faster ghost than my 2'33.759 time. Well I'm gonna do as many races as I can at Spa today.

@newmedia_dev I already knew how to set the volume and everything in the settings but I had to turn it back up so people could hear my car's engine.

@TechnoIsLove I saw your race screen results, nice job on the race! In Race 16, I finished in 7th, I started in 5th place but it got intense out there on the track, there were 9 A drivers and 6 B/C drivers.
You confuse me the way you speak bud, when you say people can hear your engine what do you mean?

Who are the people?

Also headphones won't work for them just you?

I'm super confused.

Edit: @GrumpyOldMan i think it comes down to a couple of factors doing races and watching a few back.

I drive every lap like a QT lap this is both bad and good.

It's always knife edge and that obviously shows.

I also think that life is to short so I quit more than I used to in all honesty. Before starting 13th I'd limp it home. Starting pole and getting "assisted" off the circuit I don't have the inclination to just bring it home. I know I should....but I don't.

And I think that answers that question. Also ego wise I like bossing B lobbies...

Last edited:
You confuse me the way you speak bud, when you say people can hear your engine what do you mean?

Who are the people?

Also headphones won't work for them just you?

I'm super confused.
Never mind, I guess we should get back on topic with the daily races. Good luck everyone, I've got to go to bed soon. I got a couple pole times at Spa this morning which I was happy about. Sorry about the confusion.

@GrumpyOldMan I spend so much time on Gran Turismo, I haven't even thought of dating any women, but if in the future I get totally bored I may end up marrying a woman that is right for me.

I always use headphones. I find it more immersive that way.

There's a new model from Sony coming this month. The Pulse Elite. Reviews seem to be pretty good. I'm thinking of upgrading from my Sony gold to those.
Thanks. What do you currently use?

Was going to get the Sony ones that are for the PS5 but maybe I’ll wait for the new ones.

Do the wireless headsets require something to be plugged into a port on the PS5? My PS5 only has one USB port (the PS4 has two) and I’m using it for my wheel and pedals or controller.

Was going to get the Sony ones that are for the PS5 but maybe I’ll wait for the new ones.

Do the wireless headsets require something to be plugged into a port on the PS5? My PS5 only has one USB port (the PS4 has two) and I’m using it for my wheel and pedals or controller.
You need to plug a usb dongle in. I have the first gen Sony ones because they are wireless but used my Bose plugged in to the controller before but wires...

The dongle takes a port up, and it's a consideration if you have a wheel and or camera/other peripherals.

You can use the dongle but you can also use the jack on the ps5 controller. You lose some features but it's an option.

Afternoon Race C report... I just ran the 1PM EST slot, driving the Porsche. All-B/S lobby. Started in P4. Picked up a position at the Degnas when the P3 car went wide. P1 and P2 took off and I could only watch as they pulled away. Stayed in P3 for a while until a fast YouTuber who had started from further back caught up. I let them go by after they tapped me from behind on T1. Not worth spoiling my race trying to defend against that. There was a 2-second gap to the car behind. They were slowly catching up. It was around lap 16 when they finally did. Since we were about the same pace, I decided to defend. They were pressuring me for the rest of the race, but I managed to hold them off for a P4 finish, with CRB even.

There's another one in the back, no? i have a external drive plugged into it for Ps4 games.

Otherwise you can buy a usb to usb c adapter for a couple of quid at the usual outlets to open up that port.

Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 19.25.53.png

Last edited:
Finished for this week, only ran a few races on alt account as didn't start until Friday. Not very successful in the Huracán. Moved back to main account for an hour and sorry @TechnoIsLove you were getting a bit close.

View attachment 1329299

Very impressive mate! I almost smashed the console as (no bull-crap) I was between 0.4 to 0.6 faster than my current 2:29:3 at least 10 times this evening but always screwed up the lap at one point or another!

So rather than say " I could have matched you" my thinking is "well friggin done because unlike me, you managed to complete a full lap without messing up" so hats off sir 😎💪🏻

Hoping to be more competitive as of tomorrow 😁

Last edited:
Your sound settings affect what you hear, not what other people do. There's nothing you can do that will affect whether other people can hear your car's engine.

Also, as noted above, you can change the levels of music ("BGM", or "Background Music") and sounds separately, so there's no need to "play in silence" because "the music is too loud". Turn the music down, or off, and you'll be able to hear your car better - which is vital for using manual transmission, and the location of opponents around you in racing.

Back