GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 33,596 comments
Thought to jump on early morning races in hope to get a win since it has been a year since I last won a race (not counting Race A as winning there can be easy depending on what random lobby you get). Now I am at all time-high DR (95% DR-B).

And I did get an easy win as others were still getting used to the track + car combo. I was starting 2nd in my Mazda with a Sauber on the pole and a hybrid (why?) behind me.
6iIv51Y.jpg

I had to be cautious at the start since the Mazda accelerates faster than the Sauber and the hybrid accelerates faster than the Mazda, so us being in reverse order of acceleration was pretty dangerous. After several corners of near crashes, dangerous simultaneous overtakes on straights, and frequent position exchanges on the first lap, I easily led the race after the first chicane of Mulsanne straight and won the race from there.

Some early observations:
1. The Mazda is so much faster than the Sauber on straights that bump-drafting a Sauber in a Mazda is a waste of time. This does not increase the gap to the car behind.
2. Lift and lift early on the kink leading to Indianapolis while following someone. I regrettably sent an DR-A+ person to shadow realm there despite braking early there and despite having a good gap between us. He accepted my apology. 2 sec penalty and a deduction to SR for me which took another race to recover to perfect SR.
3. I feel that Sauber is the qualifying machine here (I did not try in qualifying) but the Mazda is the race machine here.
4. Saubers need to be careful while braking behind Mazdas as the Saubers have considerably more braking power.
5. I start on 0BB then switch to -5BB on second lap to save rear tires. Fuel is not an issue at all. I never felt need to put on new tires.
6. 6x tires definitely makes this race more entertaining than the last 6-lap Daily at Le Mans (which accidentally started as 12-lap first). While I am a bit disappointed not to have 12-lap race, the 6-lap races have been entertaining due to having to constantly adjust braking points and start lifting as the tires start balding.

Last edited:
Thought to jump on early morning races in hope to get a win since it has been a year since I last won a race (not counting Race A as winning there can be easy depending on what random lobby you get). Now I am at all time-high DR (95% DR-B).

And I did get an easy win as others were still getting used to the track + car combo. I was starting 2nd in my Mazda with a Sauber on the pole and a hybrid (why?) behind me.
View attachment 1363638
I had to be cautious at the start since the Mazda accelerates faster than the Sauber and the hybrid accelerates faster than the Mazda, so us being in reverse order of acceleration was pretty dangerous. After several corners of near crashes, dangerous simultaneous overtakes on straights, and frequent position exchanges on the first lap, I easily led the race after the first chicane of Mulsanne straight and won the race from there.

Some early observations:
1. The Mazda is so much faster than the Sauber on straights that bump-drafting a Sauber in a Mazda is a waste of time. This does not increase the gap to the car behind.
2. Lift and lift early on the kink leading to Indianapolis while following someone. I regrettably sent an DR-A+ person to shadow realm there despite braking early there and despite having a good gap between us. He accepted my apology. 2 sec penalty and a deduction to SR for me which took another race to recover to perfect SR.
3. I feel that Sauber is the qualifying machine here (I did not try in qualifying) but the Mazda is the race machine here.
4. Saubers need to be careful while braking behind Mazdas as the Saubers have considerably more braking power.
5. I start on 0BB then switch to -5BB on second lap to save rear tires. Fuel is not an issue at all. I never felt need to put on new tires.
6. 6x tires definitely makes this race more entertaining than the last 6-lap Daily at Le Mans (which accidentally started as 12-lap first). While I am a bit disappointed not to have 12-lap race, the 6-lap races have been entertaining due to having to constantly adjust braking points and start lifting as the tires start balding.
Any chance of rain at Le Mans?

It won't take long to learn manual and you'll probably still be just as fast as AT whilst you're switching. That's how it seemed to be for me. I did yo-yo between DR levels but that's mainly because I'm rubbish at qualifying whatever gears I use, so nearly always at the back.

Tried switching view as well but it didn't stick, I'm chasecam for life.
Did about 15 quali laps on RBR with MT. I'm 4 % slower than the world's fastest time. In a good week I'm within 3 %. This is about the difference between tagging along in a DR B lobby nicely, or falling behind. But still lot's of improvements to make.

You're not alone, I was only able to do 2 races at DRC and 4 at Interlagos, see I was discharged from the hospital Tuesday night and then I didn't get on the Playstation until the next day, so I was lagging behind. But it's okay. How are you coming along in the game? I really need to learn MT and trail braking better, it would help me a lot here and for breaking records.
I hope it's not al too serious a reason why you had to visit the hospital! Concerning trail braking.. that's beyond my skill level. I probably do it a little bit but I'm not having any control over it. Accelerating and braking is almost like an on / off thing for me. I can dose my acceleration on corner exit somewhat. But dosing the brakes and at the same time cornering is a whole other level.

Safe to say that last week's 24 lap race at Fuji was a test-bed for the last TGC race? The criteria are virtually identical (for GT1). Same laps, same tires, same fuel, almost same tire (4x vs 5x), etc. Limited Gr3 cars allowed but gotta think there's a correlation between the two.

Okay, enough messing around with the new wheel (spent a lot of time with settings, ergonomics, etc while learning it). Try a RBR race on the main account, using, what else(?), the lancer. Started Pteen but finished P10 by keeping it on the track. (track limits are a pain here!)

Tried the GTR and improved my qualy by a bit, but decided to jump on the alternate mid-B account. Of course, early monday morning, I'm in nearly the same lobby! (B/A/A+). Started Pteen, finished P9.

You really need to watch your exits on the lancer. But for me, I could stomp on the gas on exits in the GTR, accounting for the better qualy (and better stability in the race) Still like driving the lancer, so I'll practice both.

Most of us have had plenty of le mans practice lately (TT, Gazoo) so I'll jump in there too, always fun in those massive machines, and on a wheel, a real workout! @appu , thanks for the report, really useful. I've set a qualy in the sauber, will give the mazda a try later this eve.

Early take on running Q laps at RBR this morning:
  • I hate, hate, HATE the glare on this track. Has anyone tried wearing sunglasses here? I may try fiddling with the Exposure settings.
  • Gr.3 cars feel REALLY fast on this track, compared to last week's Gr.4 at Interlagos, and MUCH more fun. In Q laps, anyway.
  • There's a reason the Lancer is flooding the leaderboard - fast and stable, at least when I run it at TCS 3. And it doesn't appear that the TCS slows it down much - no long lags as it catches up.
If anyone's having trouble with the Braking Zones assist, you'll want to brake WAY later than they recommend. The braking points on the first 3 major turns should be around 100m, as far as I can tell. Assuming you can see the meter markers in the glare or shadows.

Is there something wrong with the PD servers, liveries and ghosts won't load for me??
I don't see any problems here in the US.

Okay, enough messing around with the new wheel (spent a lot of time with settings, ergonomics, etc while learning it). Try a RBR race on the main account, using, what else(?), the lancer. Started Pteen but finished P10 by keeping it on the track. (track limits are a pain here!)

Tried the GTR and improved my qualy by a bit, but decided to jump on the alternate mid-B account. Of course, early monday morning, I'm in nearly the same lobby! (B/A/A+). Started Pteen, finished P9.

You really need to watch your exits on the lancer. But for me, I could stomp on the gas on exits in the GTR, accounting for the better qualy (and better stability in the race) Still like driving the lancer, so I'll practice both.

Most of us have had plenty of le mans practice lately (TT, Gazoo) so I'll jump in there too, always fun in those massive machines, and on a wheel, a real workout! @appu , thanks for the report, really useful. I've set a qualy in the sauber, will give the mazda a try later this eve.

Congrats on your return to prime time 😁
Glad you’re getting on well with the new wheel.

Wife’s birthday today so I took it off and she suggested I go play for a bit before we take off for the day. 😂
Early qt on RB but I sucks at the track. Will join in later today when we return and excited to get in some B and race C action.
Hope everyone starts their week with some good racing today even though Monday is fairly unpredictable in most groups.

Congrats on your return to prime time 😁
Glad you’re getting on well with the new wheel.

Wife’s birthday today so I took it off and she suggested I go play for a bit before we take off for the day. 😂
Early qt on RB but I sucks at the track. Will join in later today when we return and excited to get in some B and race C action.
Hope everyone starts their week with some good racing today even though Monday is fairly unpredictable in most groups.
yeah, thanks. DR might (okay, will) take a tumble, so what?! I may never be faster on the wheel, but I am loving how physical it feels.

Still haven't gotten a race in the rain, but a tire wear run at le mans will be a good tryout. I know well the tire shredding sound of a controller! Let's see if I manage a bit better there.

yeah, thanks. DR might (okay, will) take a tumble, so what?! I may never be faster on the wheel, but I am loving how physical it feels.

Still haven't gotten a race in the rain, but a tire wear run at le mans will be a good tryout. I know well the tire shredding sound of a controller! Let's see if I manage a bit better there.
I know the feeling of holding the wheel is a big draw (for me at least) but do focus on braking and accelerating they feel way more natural and that's where you can get quicker from with better trail breaking and better/smoother acceleration

I know the feeling of holding the wheel is a big draw (for me at least) but do focus on braking and accelerating they feel way more natural and that's where you can get quicker from with better trail breaking and better/smoother acceleration
good advice, that is definitely a part of the draw as well. A good example is at RBR, I really needed to lay on the gas smoothly and purposefully on exits to get the lancer to stay in a straight line!

Still haven't gotten a race in the rain, but a tire wear run at le mans will be a good tryout. I know well the tire shredding sound of a controller! Let's see if I manage a bit better there
I was in the same boat but I honestly couldn't go back to the controller now. The difference is night and day and I am a complete amateur when it comes to online racing. I only wish I could set my wheel up properly is all 🙈 unfortunately the Thrustmaster T248 I have does not feature on the list of official wheels and I think I am suffering a bit for it

I was in the same boat but I honestly couldn't go back to the controller now. The difference is night and day and I am a complete amateur when it comes to online racing. I only wish I could set my wheel up properly is all 🙈 unfortunately the Thrustmaster T248 I have does not feature on the list of official wheels and I think I am suffering a bit for it
It's funny, on that last nord/911 TT, I was stuggling to get a high silver or gold (it was a difficult gold TT by-the-numbers).

I thought I would get the controller out just to give it a try, thinking I could gold most of these on controller. I think I laughed out loud at how weird it felt! I couldn't keep it straight for my life! Muscle memory had been instantly lost and it might be the last time I drive on controller.

9 races done at RBR this afternoon. Started at mid D/S. 3 wins, 3 2nds a 3rd 4th and 5th. Am at the very limit of C/S into B now. Will leave it there for this evening and try again tomorrow to break back into B. Really enjoyed the racing today, very clean and close all day 👍👍👍👍 Will enjoy this pint 😉

Attachments

• 20240610_194151.jpg
    20240610_194151.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2
Something a little different video wise from me.

2 laps improving my daily B time.

A couple of things to note: I'm trying this with TC and I was quicker than without.

I don't reset ghosts at the sectors for a reason.

This is me chasing/following the current world number 6

Brake Balance was +2 (to the rear)

Thanks for the post. My key take-away is how quickly you are back on the gas at the apex (actually looks like before the apex) , losing minimal inertia.

Last edited:

A couple of things to note: I'm trying this with TC and I was quicker than without.

Why don't you reset the ghost? I usually reset unless I'm chasing a ghost I can keep a 2/3 car distance. More than that and they're just not doing anything for me as I use them to get the best lines and gauge my mid corner speed.

Why don't you reset the ghost? I usually reset unless I'm chasing a ghost I can keep a 2/3 car distance. More than that and they're just not doing anything for me as I use them to get the best lines and gauge my mid corner speed.
For 2 reasons mainly

1. I find the visual gauge better than the delta as deltas can be very misleading because of the short term nature of them.

2. My aim is to follow as close as I can for as long as I can, you can see the end of sector 2 Lewis starts to pull a bigger gap so I know I need to figure out how to that better.

The aim is to get to the point where the distance is fairly equal the whole lap. It also replicates racing (mentally for me) if I'm not banging in to the ghost and always playing catch up 🤣

Have hardly played in the last year and even longer since my last win. This evening I had back to back wins at Le Mans. One of them also fastest lap. That has never happened before. But I do love this track and these cars. My quali lap even includes a penalty but still puts in me in the upper half of the starting grid...

First race started second and there was a lot of battles between me and the pole sitter. The second race I started fifth and three in front of me made massive mistakes. There was one I had to battle with and we kept it clean, they also had the Mazda, really fun.

I can put really consistent laps in the Mazda here which also happens to be amazing in VR. So much better view than the Toyota from the weekend.

Where I gain the most time is in the chicanes on the Mulsanne, I kinda figured them out during the weekend and I gain a lot on other drivers there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. My key take-away is how quickly you are back on the gas at the apex (actually looks like before the apex) , losing minimal inertia.
If you've ever ridden a motorbike or done some advanced driver training it's the thing they bang in to you. Brake earlier and power through the bends the drive balances the car/bike and it gives you adjustability options as lifting or turning in more is easier off the brakes than trying to make the brakes and steering work together.

There is a whole bunch of other stuff like raising your vision and looking way past bend to the next one and not the apex, vanishing points to gauge speed etc

Mostly in GT it's about stopping the car hitting peak torque at the exit, that's why we spin up coming off the curbs, it also reduces acceleration zone shifts to ride the power out in a higher gear etc

I used to play a lot of on-line poker when it was legal in California, there are a lot of similarities between poker and GT.

Some nights you just need to pack it in and go to bed.

If you find yourself in a good lobby, you need to hit it for as long as it lasts, race after race.

Practice practice practice.

Don’t be predictable

I really must try and do this.. I usually find myself getting better lap times in a race than what I do in qualifying, it is probably just laziness on my part

Did some baseline QT laps to chip away at later:

Race A: 1:31.742. Fun, but I'm slowly losing any time I gain with mediocre exits out of Turn 9.

Race B: 1:32.407 with the NSX Gr.3. Turns 1 and 3 have been giving me fits since GT6 in the HSV (please come back).

Race C: 3:27.951 with the Porsche 962 C. Boost is a handful, and the entry into Indianapolis is pretty hairy. Might try something else later.

Latest Posts

Back