GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 33,596 comments
I just made an explosive debut into DR-A! I had never thought that I could be DR-A. I went from 99% DR-B to straight 10% DR-A. Work productivity be damned two Mondays in a row. Group C monsters are just too much fun. I tried to qualify with a Sauber but I just couldn't make it work so I went back to the Mazda and improved my qualifying time by 2 sec, which helped me in getting pole.
0wd0TMg.jpg

I had to work hard throughout the race, for two Saubers behind me were unshakable.
zm1BTu6.jpg

The whole race I kept reminding myself about each brake markers and not to let the mind wander away. Even though the Saubers never got into my slipstream, they were a constant threat by maintaining a constant 3 sec gap.

We all three pit at lap 4 and to my surprise, they came out 4-5 sec later than I did. That helped ease the pressure on me but by that point, I was already used to the pressure and I would still have kept the win even if they did not change their tires.

-------

Now I understand at this point why some folks maintain multiple profiles. I can stay DR-A only as long as I am racing Gr3 or above. My performance in Gr4 and lower are still mid-B or worse. So far I still don't plan to keep an alternative profile but then I also had once said that I will never hit DR-A.
Hey, I like that Super Mario helmet. Where did you get the idea for the design? I'm hoping to get to a level B (DR). I did in the last month of GTsport right before the servers died. Congrats on reaching to an A ranking. I know that was a job.

Something a little different video wise from me.

2 laps improving my daily B time.

A couple of things to note: I'm trying this with TC and I was quicker than without.

I don't reset ghosts at the sectors for a reason.

This is me chasing/following the current world number 6

Brake Balance was +2 (to the rear)

Decent time Glen, I can’t really get on with RBR, seems a big step up from gr4 too! Interested to see how the racing evolves throughout the week but I needed to jump into the Porsche as the lancer just wanted to kill me in each corner exit!

Got my feet wet with a couple of C races after putting up a qualifying time.

Started p8 and p5 and finished p10 then p7 in the last race. I changed tires both times and not sure if I should have.

ABS weak in the race worked when I was on my own but in tight quarters nose to tail I was not ginger enough and nearly rear ended people in a few panic moments. Went back to default for this race 😅

Bit bored of another Gr1 race being dominated by the dinosaurs. BoP is not very B for this group.

Have to say I’m looking over rather enviously at Forza’s latest update for Featured Multiplayer

Featured Multiplayer will also see endurance events coming along, with the permanent addition of 30-minute-long races to the event rotation, in the Forza Touring Car and Forza GT categories.

That will sit alongside a new Endurance Series, with races of up to an hour in length. You’ll be racing in Forza Proto-H cars in week one, GTX Sportscars in week two, Forza Touring Cars again in week three, and round out with Vintage Le Mans Prototypes in week four.

Tried some laps in the 787B in Race C and I was like 10s off the pace per lap so Race B it is.

I used to do well in RBR in the Genesis and BMW Z3 GT3 in my controller days, but in the McLaren it is horrendous - the gearing feels so wrong for the track and the lack of corner exit acceleration doesn't help either. My QT session was poor as I never seemed to find consistency especially in T2 and the final turn where the car would go from gripping magically out of the corner to doing a 720 in partial throttle in 3rd gear.

1:29.4 was the best I managed and I swear I do have a 1:28 in me (I had like 20 laps in 1:29.4-5 but never got to string my best sectors together).

Still missing the MX-5 @ Daytona RC race last week.

Bit bored of another Gr1 race being dominated by the dinosaurs. BoP is not very B for this group.

Have to say I’m looking over rather enviously at Forza’s latest update for Featured Multiplayer
Yeah, I haven't even gotten to that part of the daily races yet. Is it an attracting race though or is it another boring event at Le Mans? Lol, dinosaurs? Where did you get that from? I guess you are referring to the dirty A/B drivers of the game.

I will give it ago, I've never used CSA as I end up over correcting on my wheel usually.
I was fighting the Lancer like my life depended on it, restarted 50 times because of a spin or track limit, managed only a 1:29.3, as soon as I turned on CSA to strong, it was much easier to floor the throttle on the corner exit, which is crucial on RBR, somehow the CSA keeps it from spinning easily and on the first lap I got a 1:29.1xx. Don't be fooled tho, you can still spin with CSA but I think you get just that little bit more margin to put the foot down earlier. I'm sure the 28s are possible and not that difficult to achieve, just need to hook up a normal lap, but I was so tired last night, barely kept my eyes open for the last few laps, and gave up. Will give it a go again tonight :)

Yeah, I haven't even gotten to that part of the daily races yet. Is it an attracting race though or is it another boring event at Le Mans? Lol, dinosaurs? Where did you get that from? I guess you are referring to the dirty A/B drivers of the game.
No, the dinosaurs are the old Group C cars like the Mazda 787B and the Sauber C9. I'd quite like to use one of the modern hybrids instead like the Porsche 919, but they are rarely competive on the tracks used for Gr1 races.

The race itself is fine. I'd prefer it a bit longer or with some variable conditions.

Yes, I got a new record just now, 1'31.845 (RBR). I listened to everyone's advice about braking a little early and it worked, I clocked the final sector in the 1'03.000's. So I saved about a second of time using my own method and standing real close to my TV. It gives me a minor headache at times but I can deal with the pain. Yeah the Sauber car does look old and ancient like from the historic era. You're right about that. The 787B does look modern to me though.

Last edited:
Bah I threw away two 28.xx laps yesterday but my will was broken completely by the end (I was 2 bottles of wine in is what I really mean 🤣)
😮🤣
I'll have to try the Lancer, maybe with the CSA as mentioned by @Vule. I've been using the RCZ so far.

It definitely does make a difference braking earlier and coasting through the bends - I have to try really hard to do keep doing it though. It feels slower but easily gain a couple of tenths getting a good exit.

I was baffled by just how much the top ghosts pull away from me on every single corner exit. I can match the WR ghost in the last sector only, I'm maybe half a tenth off there, but the first 3 corners, it's like we are driving a different group of cars, they have 4WD or something, when I try to replicate their exact lines and brake/throttle inputs, I just spin and they just don't... :lol:

No, the dinosaurs are the old Group C cars like the Mazda 787B and the Sauber C9. I'd quite like to use one of the modern hybrids instead like the Porsche 919, but they are rarely competive on the tracks used for Gr1 races.

The race itself is fine. I'd prefer it a bit longer or with some variable conditions.
It's a bit of a borefest without variable conditions.

Races where I started lower down the order just meant I fell foul of rammers, sideswipers, and pit manouevre fans! When I did start in P3, P2 went off at the first chicane, P1 was 5 seconds ahead by the end of the first lap and just kept pulling further ahead, and nobody else got within 6 seconds of me the whole race.

Basically ran the whole race, other than the first few corners on lap 1, without seeing another car!

My first foray into racing in over a week. My #3,902 QT time had me starting in 8th place in an A+/A (and some B) lobby.

Brutal track. Tons of people hitting each other, but you have to remember that even though it may seem intentional, remember all those times you lost it while doing Q laps? Yeah, so don't assume intention unless, you know, it was truly intentional. And even then, you never know for sure. You know?

And especially T2 (which is probably really T3 but you know what I mean) - it's not like you have some extra room for braking there. It's all you can do to make sure you make the corner, and if the guy in front has some problems, the chances of avoiding contact or almost nil.

So cut everyone some slack, including yourself.

Also I never put it together that the hud icons tell you what assists people are using. Duh. Now I'll have to look at the youtubers I follow and see what their doing
You're not alone in discovering things that you should have known before: I only realised about a month ago that in the chat screen, the list of drivers' names are in the order of their position.

Also, as others have mentioned, you probably won't find a top YouTuber who uses assists other than ABS to some degree.

I bought a wheel and pedals from a member here (great transaction, great guy)
😊
So I grabbed the controller and sold off the wheel and pedals and I'm just as fast as I was with them on the controller.
Do I get a percentage of that? (Just kidding, which I'm sure you know.)
Red Bull Ring grip is tough and apparently others are having similar issues, cars are all over the track in sand traps on the back side, Im guessing its a tire temp issue in the shadows?
Im crawling through the backside just to get around the track without going off.
I'm sure you've heard this by now, but TCS or CS is your friend on this track.
There were probably concentration camps that were more enjoyable than this Race B combination.
Hyperbole aside, after one race at RBR I can kind of agree.
It feels slower but easily gain a couple of tenths getting a good exit.
RBR is such a demanding track, that I'd use training wheels if they offered them!
oh god no I can't trail brake at all. I'm a "hammer the brakes, start turning, hammer the throttle" kinda driver. I know it's not the best way of driving but it's how I've done it for going on 30 years now and I'm not about to learn something different :D
1718107290231.png

It's a bit of a borefest without variable conditions.

Races where I started lower down the order just meant I fell foul of rammers, sideswipers, and pit manouevre fans! When I did start in P3, P2 went off at the first chicane, P1 was 5 seconds ahead by the end of the first lap and just kept pulling further ahead, and nobody else got within 6 seconds of me the whole race.

Basically ran the whole race, other than the first few corners on lap 1, without seeing another car!
I wonder how difficult should be to enlarge the lobbies?
This race with 32 cars should be glorious. I know Im asking too much but why did they reduce the 20 players lobby that we used to have in GT sport?.

Hey, I like that Super Mario helmet. Where did you get the idea for the design?
Thank you for the congrats. I was surfing the gallery for suits and helmet liveries when I came across this Mario design. It was love at the first sight. So yeah, I did not create it. :)

--------

To the folks talking about CSA on a wheel, I've a question- when the CSA kicks in, does the steering turn on its own in response to the action taken by CSA? I don't own a wheel and hence my question.

--------
ABS weak in the race worked when I was on my own but in tight quarters nose to tail I was not ginger enough and nearly rear ended people in a few panic moments. Went back to default for this race 😅
I had been using ABS on weak for a year before I recently switched to ABS default and it improved my times due to two reasons:
1. It is now easier for me to brake in a curvy line without losing the rear.
2. ABS default effectively feels like a trail-braking assist.

Both these points are pretty much same, and seem to match with the in-game description of ABS.
Adjust the effectiveness of your ABS (anti-lock braking system), which prevents tires from locking when you brake. At the "Default" setting, the braking force of all four wheels is controlled, and part of the tires' grip is allocated to turning force. Using the "Weak" setting deactivates this restriction, which makes it suitable for more skilled drivers. Selecting "Off" deactivates the ABS altogether.
What you described sounds like you might have been relying on ABS default to do trail-braking. I don't know how changing ABS can make you nearly rear-end others. In theory, in a straight line, ABS weak and default should be indistinguishable. Just my thoughts, no scientific base. :D

-------
I marched up to A+ running countersteer on weak and ASM on
Wow, that is impressive. I don't have ASM on but I have racing line assist on. The racing line helps me in anticipating that I am accelerating too much and will likely overshoot the corner exit. Thus, the racing line has been a better assist for me than ASM since I reduce my throttle earlier than later. Wonder if the same might temporarily work for you while you are relearning without assists.

--------
This race with 32 cars should be glorious. I know Im asking too much but why did they reduce the 20 players lobby that we used to have in GT sport?.
While I obviously don't know the answer, my theory is that GT7 is more taxing on PS4 than GT Sport, and hence they try to optimize by reducing number of cars on the track.

Last edited:
Race A civic is the slowest performance civic ever made. Only makes power if your banging the rev limiter.
That is how performance Hondas worked for a long time, yes. VTEC is the reason why. Japan taxed (dunno if still does) on displacement so a smaller engine that could rev extremely high was more desirable than a larger engine making power at lower RPMs.

So yeah, shift up late, shift down early

Got my feet wet with a couple of C races after putting up a qualifying time.

Started p8 and p5 and finished p10 then p7 in the last race. I changed tires both times and not sure if I should have.

I would recommend NOT changing tires. Even a Neanderthal like me can make the rears last 6 laps, the fronts are barely 1/3 worn by the end.

To the folks talking about CSA on a wheel, I've a question- when the CSA kicks in, does the steering turn on its own in response to the action taken by CSA? I don't own a wheel and hence my question.
Not really you don't feel it in the wheel. That is actually what I find is the problem for me. I've gotten so use to correcting slides and fast reactions/inputs when I feel a slide that I still do that when I've accidentally had it on so I end up trying to correct a slide that didn't happen......which is less than ideal 🤣

Sitting at a 29.3 for race B. I had a 29.1 but messed up the last bit which is annoying. For the most part I like RBR but T1 is just a make-it-or-die type of deal.

Totally agree with that. I think RBR is a track that rewards early braking and carrying the speed through the corner. It's a very harsh track when it comes to track limits so it pays to have the car settled on corner entry and that will help you on exit. I have seen today on numerous occasions that people go in hot and suffer badly on exit, this is not a track that is forgiving that way..all about momentum 😉
Amen to that, now if I can only train myself to stop racing people into turns 🤪🔫

Does anybody else use their friends list as a gauge for how you're doing, or where you need to be in qualifying?

I have some friends who will always beat me, and some who I will always beat. But there are some who I am usually really close to.
When I am way behind those people, I know there is something that I'm just not getting right.
A lot of times, I think it's because of just one particular turn that I don't have a good understanding of.

Even after all these years of playing GT games, there are certain sections of track where I always seem to lose ground to my competitors. I suppose I initially misunderstood those turns, when I first drove them, and have continued to use the same bad approach.

It would be nice if we could view qualifying laps, and use ghosts from any of our friends. At a big track like Le Mans, where the top 10 guys are 5-10 seconds faster than the average driver, their ghosts are pretty useless.

Here's an example: Yesterday morning, before I even fired up my console, I watched Tidgney's lap guide for Le Mans.
At the last left of the Porsche curves, he said don't even brake. Just a bit of a lift, then throttle up. Well, I wasn't able to pull it off.
My point is, that since I can't do what someone like him does, I would probably be better served by watching a lap that is maybe 1-1.5 seconds faster than mine. I may see something there that is achievable.

*Nothing against @Tidgney. What he does is great. 👍

Does anybody else use their friends list as a gauge for how you're doing, or where you need to be in qualifying?
Yes. I typically use Grumpy and PHG Papa as my gauge for qualifying times.

I like Tidgney’s ghosts most of the time. His approach and driving style is more fitting to follow compared to the aliens above or around him on the leaderboard. I do find the occasional turn or technique that is impossible to replicate his approach. Incredibly frustrating at times.

I have some friends who will always beat me, and some who I will always beat. But there are some who I am usually really close to.
When I am way behind those people, I know there is something that I'm just not getting right.
Absolutely and 100% the same.

Back