GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
The entire year I've had GT7 I've kind of avoided driving Tokyo because I found it hard not to hit the walls. But in VR it's so much easier to tell where your car is, I managed to gold the first circuit experience without too much difficulty. It's an interesting practical benefit of having real depth perception. It's also so much easier to not hit other cars.

I've been blown away by the VR racing. The game feels so much better played this way and I've found myself going quicker than ever before and also feeling much calmer. Switched to playing Horizon the old fashioned way and it felt so basic and remote compared to the VR of Gran Turismo. The best just got better.

I imagine the most important reason is to interact with the audience. If they can't read the audience chat and react to it, the streams are a little boring. A secondary reason might be the lack of some UI info in VR mode.
This is probably true. VR would also mean going out of comfort zone and possibly be slower, atleast for a while. My DR dropped from A+ to A because I just couldn't keep up with the pace. Now I'm slowly climbing back. Some of the streamers might not want to make that sacrifice. Super GT said in one of his newer videos that he's currently about 0,5 sec / lap slower in VR.

Last edited:
This is probably true. VR would also mean going out of comfort zone and possibly be slower, atleast for a while. My DR dropped from A+ to A because I just couldn't keep up with the pace. Now I'm slowly climbing back. Some of the streamers might not want to make that sacrifice. Super GT said in one of his newer videos that he's currently about 0,5 sec / lap slower in VR.
I think this is it, as well. Personally, I'd prefer to watch a talented player overcome the increased learning curve. And driver's eye views are always the most entertaining.

AFTER ONE WEEK
SOOOOOOOO:

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)
1. Are you faster or slower with VR?
2. Do you prefer VR or flat TV?

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)
I'm equally as fast, maybe slightly faster as I can get a better sense of what the car is doing.
I much prefer VR, I don't think I can go back to a flat screen tv and hood cam view. It seems very disconnected now.

Jerome

Some of the streamers might not want to make that sacrifice. Super GT said in one of his newer videos that he's currently about 0,5 sec / lap slower in VR.
Just watched Super GT video about Sophy.
He used quite some dirty moves in almost every races, and most 2D youtubers do the same, generally by punting violet Sophy out of the track or forcing it to fault.

I think that their driving would beneficiate a lot from using VR, even if it means being 0.5 seconds slower at first, it's nothing you cannot overcome or reverse with a little practice!

come on, anyone who says GT7 is a bad game is bonkers. I LOVED GT5 and liked 6. They were like my pet games, but GT7 is better. A much more polished and beautiful experience. Can't wait to get the VR
Honestly there's a BUNCH of stuff about GT7 I think is bad, but most of that goes away once I'm on the track with the headset on. There's enough good to overlook the bad, but that doesn't mean the bad doesn't exist.

come on, anyone who says GT7 is a bad game is bonkers. I LOVED GT5 and liked 6. They were like my pet games, but GT7 is better. A much more polished and beautiful experience. Can't wait to get the VR
Couldn't agree more. And if you feel this way, you're going to go crazy for the VR. As you can probably gather from others' comments it's completely a new level of immersion. Sounds like your trajectory with GT has been similar to mine

I'm faster with VR, for the last few days I've been Golding Circuit Experiences & License test that where left unfinished, VR just gives you a better spacial awareness, depth perception, with the wider FOV on the flat screen gives a faster sense of speed, but with VR the sense of speed is slower, closer to reality giving you a slighter edge on reaction times.

Went back to Deep Forest for the Circuit Experience where my fastest time in second sector was 3 seconds off with the Audi R8 which was a bit more slippery to handle compared to other GT3's, after a couple of tries I was within .200 of a second Golding it, after five attempts Golded it under a second.

I'm faster with VR, for the last few days I've been Golding Circuit Experiences & License test that where left unfinished, VR just gives you a better spacial awareness, depth perception, with the wider FOV on the flat screen gives a faster sense of speed, but with VR the sense of speed is slower, closer to reality giving you a slighter edge on reaction times.

Went back to Deep Forest for the Circuit Experience where my fastest time in second sector was 3 seconds off with the Audi R8 which was a bit more slippery to handle compared to other GT3's, after a couple of tries I was within .200 of a second Golding it, after five attempts Golded it under a second.
Everything feels so much easier in VR! 😁
I just beat Sophy on expert 4 times in one hour time at Suzuka, whch is arguably the most difficult of the 4 races. No takedowns or else, 3 CRB out of the 4 races. Lost the CRB in the last one by having 4 tires out of the track at the spoon curve. And I finished the 3 other expert races even more easily while using clutch & shifter xD

Can't wait to see how fast the best 2D players will become thanks to VR! 😮
ZDX
1. VR seems to make slower drivers like me faster while making the faster drivers slower.
I don't think that it has anything to do with that. VR would make almost any player faster with a few practice thanks to the way better visibility and more natual overall feeling.

Fastest 2D youtubers like Super GT have been practicing flat driving for years, and still he is only 0.5 seconds slower after only a few days with VR! Imagine what it will be when he will be fully used to it and his level in a few years...!

------------------------------

I will be hosting the first "gtplanet racing kart series" today at GMT 13:00.
For those willing to participate, don't forget to add me to your PSN friendlist (ID: papiculo_64) and to bring your racing kart!
Search for friend lobbies and "gtplanet racing kart series #1".

It will be a 18 laps at Road Atlanta with qualifiers.
You can practice until then and you can participate both in VR or on flat screen.

If there are no other participants the race will be reported to next weekend.

Please let me know if you want to participate!
👍

Last edited:

Just watched Super GT video about Sophy.
He used quite some dirty moves in almost every races, and most 2D youtubers do the same, generally by punting violet Sophy out of the track or forcing it to fault.

I think that their driving would beneficiate a lot from using VR, even if it means being 0.5 seconds slower at first, it's nothing you cannot overcome or reverse with a little practice!

ZDX
1. VR seems to make slower drivers like me faster while making the faster drivers slower.

2. My 65” set was considered the best gaming TV of its time (29 months ago). I prefer VR.
Here’s my take as a “real” driver, and maybe it’s oversimplifying things. This is still a video game no matter what, but in VR it is inherently more realistic and natural. Some of the things the fastest gamers do to achieve their times come from hundreds, even thousands, of hours playing and racing one way to exploit the game. I’m sure they’ll get back to that real quick in VR because they put in the time, but it’s the reason you see some non “pro” players going quicker and some (many) of them (the “pros”) going slower. The sight lines and angles are different (and better) in VR, but I can almost guarantee it’s jacked up their lines etc a bit. They’ve expertly memorized inputs and reference points on flatscreen, but when you can see everything it means adjustments are needed because those lines and reference points from pancake are actually a bit off reality. Plus they all play with bumper cam, which to me has always been a “cheat” in the first place and entirely unrealistic. The funny thing is, people use that cam to get as much of a visual benefit as possible. Which VR crushes immediately to me.

Last edited:
Can’t go back to playing on TV.

Tried it this morning - can’t do it.

Not only is the immersion gone and everything is honestly pretty dull in comparison - steering feels off to me now on TV.

No idea why, but it feels stiff.
It’s probably because the organic feeling is gone, which is related to the sight lines. It’s impossible to thread a line the same way on flatscreen, which means you’re putting in steering input (and just as importantly, braking input) at different points vs VR. Which loads the tires and suspension differently, which also obviously makes for a different sense of feel and balance.

Last edited:
Just a reminder to all you Psvr2 fans out there you need to reduce the light intensity to about 50% in the headset and run a test picture in YT to see if you hit the correct calibration just like you would when using a TV normally sadly GT7 don't yet have a screen setup for the psvr2 but using YT in cinema mode with a test picture and fine tuning in GT7 with the EV or wuts its name helps alot in getting the optimal view and crisper picture in the PSVR2 :)

Here’s my take as a “real” driver, and maybe it’s oversimplifying things. This is still a video game no matter what, but in VR it is inherently more realistic and natural. Some of the things the fastest gamers do to achieve their times come from hundreds, even thousands, of hours playing and racing one way to exploit the game. I’m sure they’ll get back to that real quick in VR because they put in the time, but it’s the reason you see some non “pro” players going quicker and some (many) of them (the “pros”) going slower. The sight lines and angles are different (and better) in VR, but I can almost guarantee it’s jacked up their lines etc a bit. They’ve expertly memorized inputs and reference points on flatscreen, but when you can see everything it means adjustments are needed because those lines and reference points from pancake are actually a bit off reality. Plus they all play with bumper cam, which to me has always been a “cheat” in the first place and entirely unrealistic. The funny thing is, people use that cam to get as much of a visual benefit as possible. Which VR crushes immediately to me.
Bumper cam hood cam and 3person cam thats just people playing arcade mode instead of playing it closer to sim mode in cockpitview....

Ive never liked the other view modes because they felt so unrealistic compared to real driving and that was one thing I really missed in the older GT games the cockpitview

On a different note but entirely related to VR: Anyone here have a Trak Racer TR8 rig? I have the monster TR160 aluminum-profile rig, but it’s a pain in the ass in the space I have. I only got it because I needed a setup that put the seating high enough to put me square at eye level with my wall-mounted tv. VR has instantly rendered that issue moot. I’m seriously considering downsizing my rig footprint. The woman would be thrilled 🤣
My only hesitation is if it’s truly stiff enough for the way I run my Fanatec V3 pedals super stiff. I put a lot of leg force into my braking. Don’t want to switch and find there’s noticeable flex. Online reviews aren’t particularly helpful in this regard.
Or does anyone have recommendations for a similar but better rig than the TR8?

Just a reminder to all you Psvr2 fans out there you need to reduce the light intensity to about 50% in the headset and run a test picture in YT to see if you hit the correct calibration just like you would when using a TV normally sadly GT7 don't yet have a screen setup for the psvr2 but using YT in cinema mode with a test picture and fine tuning in GT7 with the EV or wuts its name helps alot in getting the optimal view and crisper picture in the PSVR2 :)
Please explain more. What is YT? YouTube? LOL

Last edited:
Please explain more. What is YT? YouTube? LOL
ah yes sorry my bad yes you reduce the psvr2 light settings to about 50% enter youtube in cinema mode runs some test pictures for hdr screens to see if you have the correct brightness settings then when in GT7 you use the EV in display settings to fine tune the rest so that black is black best todo on a night track so you can better feel for the lighting and contrast settings :)

It helps alot with the blurryness of the psvr2 but ofc it won't help with the reduced graphics the game plays in for smoother VR experience :)

Last edited:
ah yes sorry my bad yes you reduce the psvr2 light settings to about 50% enter youtube in cinema mode runs some test pictures for hdr screens to see if you have the correct brightness settings then when in GT7 you use the EV in display settings to fine tune the rest so that black is black best todo on a night track so you can better feel for the lighting and contrast settings :)
What is EV? Sorry, I don’t really mess with my tv settings THAT much lol

Got another spectating glitch. Tsukuba Clubman Cup Plus, at T1. When glitches do happen to me, seem to happen around second lap of my races. The Tsukuba glitch even happens while I watch replay over and over. Anyway, tried to watch a couple normal replays and it’s boring. :lol: Thought I’d never say that about GT replays…. ever. Kaz and the team to care to make sure it sounds like players are really at the track. Good stuff.

Regarding the sight lines PSVR2 vs pancake, took me about five tries to navigate the Historics race at GVSR. That was in pancake mode while I took a break from the headset. Used my N2 AE86 and kept finishing P2 because I was overly cautious trying not to bump other cars.
Said screw that and with headset back on, moved up to P1 on the second lap! Felt so easy to place the car and navigate thru traffic. Braking and turning felt natural. Also, throttle pick up was before and still is smoother(DS4 user). Like someone mentioned earlier, it’s a night and day difference.

I will be hosting the first "gtplanet racing kart series" today at GMT 13:00.
For those willing to participate, don't forget to add me to your PSN friendlist (ID: papiculo_64) and to bring your racing kart!
Search for friend lobbies and "gtplanet racing kart series #1".

It will be a 18 laps at Road Atlanta with qualifiers.
You can practice until then and you can participate both in VR or on flat screen.

If there are no other participants the race will be reported to next weekend.

Please let me know if you want to participate!
👍
I'm in!

Nice mate! 😁
Commander_SR is with us too, and he suggested a windmills race with the Lancia Stratos after the karting race. I created both lobby so be sure to have your stock lancia with dirt tires ready if you want to race this one with us too! :)

I'll open the karting room in a few minutes if you want to practice before the race starts!

I removed the qualifers by the way!

I ran the 950pp event at Grand Valley yesterday with a great tune by the maestro, @praiano63, and it looked fine to me in VR. (Tune is here if you want to try it: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/praianos-tunes-settings-for-gt7.404868/post-13963502)

I love the interior of this car in VR! Check out how they did the tach and speedo - very cool. Only issue - no rear view mirrors! LOL. Wonder if that was an oversight?

Still, a very fun ride on Grand Valley in VR.
yes I use his tunes and I've got that car so I will try it.

Would be interesting to see if you have got his tune as I have on the Mazda LM55 VGT to see if it's just an issue on that particular car on that particular circuit?

Thanks all for the races! Was a lot of fun 😁
I'll post details of next week races here:
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Back