GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Roof cam in VR feels a bit awkward since your in 3d and it feels like half your body is stuck in the car, quit a bit different than on a flat screen, a bit like sticking your body out the roof of a moving vehicle.
Who says that that isn't how I drive my car in real life?

Driving On My Way GIF by UbisoftGSA

Thank you for the extensive review for those of us you may not be able to afford it currently and are deliberating whether to buy it in the future.

When you mention the sense of speed being a little lost in VR, it actually made me more hopeful of not experiencing motion sickness when I do get the chance to try it out.

I was wondering, anyone here using a shifter with VR? I'm noticing I get very disorientated because it feels like have a third arm when I hit a paddle to shift and the avatar moves his hand to move the gearshift.

Does it feel smooth etc? I'm considering getting a Fanatec Clubsport SQ
I have a shifter with my g29, really adds to the immersion and more importantly fun factor when driving cars that actually have a manual shifter. I use the paddle shift with cars that have paddle shift only. Basically i drive the cars the way they really drive to keep the realism.

I have a shifter with my g29, really adds to the immersion and more importantly fun factor when driving cars that actually have a manual shifter. I use the paddle shift with cars that have paddle shift only. Basically i drive the cars the way they really drive to keep the realism.
Same here!
With the Fanatec shifter I can even switch to sequential shifter on the go for the racing kart, the Escudo, and many other cars.You can do it with the G29 too, but it's not as easy (on the Fanatec shifter it only needs to slide a button!).

Does that also mean you turn off ABS on cars that didn't have it? :D

Does that also mean you turn off ABS on cars that didn't have it? :D
I often turn OFF ABS on the cars that didn't have it, especially for the Spa 1h race when I use old group C cars like the 787B, 962C, XJR-9, R92CP or any other one. It slows you down for sure, but it's really fun and a good training for efficiently using the breaks. Good training for driving under heavy rain as well! 😁
Definitively wouldn't turn it OFF for sport mode or TT thought! XD

Last edited:
I often turn OFF ABS on the cars that didn't have it, especially for the Spa 1h race when I use old group C cars like the 787B, 962C, XJR-9, R92CP or any other one. It slows you down for sure, but it's really fun and a good training for efficiently using the breaks. Good training for driving under heavy rain as well! 😁
Definitively wouldn't turn it OFF for sport mode or TT thought! XD
I do it just the same on sport mode. Of course you're less competitive but it's part of the realism. When the Daily Race A was the TVR Tuscan, I ran ABS off, still got 2nd place

Great review. This is the kind of review I like. I'll wait til I buy this VR2. I once had a set of Oculus Rift S VR glasses for a week and I returned them. The downside of not being a member of the rest of the house made me do that. The immersion is great, but you can't see what's the time, you have to watch out for grabbing your glass etc...
But most important: your wheel does not match with the wheel of the car you're driving in. It made me press the wrong buttons over and over again. A personal problem, but a major one.
So I'll wait until it's a bargain and then I will try again.

Last edited:
I got lucky with the extra cash to drop on the psvr2, had to get the ps5 too…just waiting for the fantec dd restock in a few days to get a new wheel …still not sold on a shifter and clutch setup for driving.

I saw someone playing this on a motion rig …ridiculous that you can do that. Do you think kaz has a motion rig for his home setup?

I'm faster with VR, for the last few days I've been Golding Circuit Experiences & License test that where left unfinished, VR just gives you a better spacial awareness, depth perception, with the wider FOV on the flat screen gives a faster sense of speed, but with VR the sense of speed is slower, closer to reality giving you a slighter edge on reaction times.

Went back to Deep Forest for the Circuit Experience where my fastest time in second sector was 3 seconds off with the Audi R8 which was a bit more slippery to handle compared to other GT3's, after a couple of tries I was within .200 of a second Golding it, after five attempts Golded it under a second.

100% mate. I used to dread races or anything on Nordschleife and never felt any inclination to spend more time on it than necessary for the past couple of decades, including pre vr2 gt7. Now I can't get enough of it!

Done over 300 miles on that circuit alone past couple of days, doing the German race, euro race, time trialling and finally now the circuit experiences. Looking forward to the classic race next, then may delve into custom races for the 1st time. The old Honda open wheeler is great fun on the circuit too.

Racing in vr on that circuit (and everywhere in gt7 tbh) has literally (and figuratively), moved the game into another dimension for me. I can now judge everything on front and around me much better than on flat screen. It certainly feels closer to real life, and using same sense, skills, perception as you would in a car, rsther than having to adapt to playing a game and it's limitations, as it was prior to vr2 imo. A good game, just nor as close to real life as now.

I suffer from insomnia and have been playing it for 4 hours, at Nordschleife, non stop this morning . I now have to stop for gym and work...And thats a real effort, I just want to carry on! :D

What a phenomenal game/experience this is. Outstanding!

Last edited:

Hah. I do the same thing :D I even change my h-shifter to sequential for cars with such gearbox :D This is part of fun.

Another plus side too being in vr is the cars don't look overly shiney and getting blinded by the light reflecting off bodywork :)

Last edited:
Bought it, and this review is exactly what I've been thinking about PSVR2.
I've never played on VR, on any game.
Honestly, I was expecting the same resolution as on TV, but I understand the technical limitations of the hardware, especially of the lenses.
If I have two advices though:
-Make sure to set the headset correctly on your head. It makes so much difference... My problem is that the headset "tilts" a little over time but I have no doubt that I'll can correct this.
-Clean the lenses regularly, as condensation can happen due to heat and sweat.

It's a great experience, I do my grinding races with it, and the showroom mode was quite a surprise for me, especially as a petrolhead.

As most Im missing info about delta to other cars but also would like to have option to see inputs. Funny story, Im now playing campaing from 0 in vr on another account and was golding deep forest license. Was surprised how hard is for me to gold it when its defenitly much easier now after physics changes. After 200km I managed and happy saved replay. When I watched it all makes sense, turned out in my dualsense braking was slighly pressed (Im playing on wheel but dualsense was still active) and thats why I struggled 😅

Last edited:
Another plus side too being in vr is the cars don't look overly shiney and getting blinded by the light reflecting off bodywork :)
Only thing about that are the more realistic reflections. I got an eyeful of a dash reflection from the GT500 Supra at Le Mans during sunny conditions. Just a horizontal bar of reflection in my line of sight. Glad the clouds rolled in.

Hi guys,

I got the PS VR2 since two days. Obviously it brings it to a completely new level. Since I am new to VR in general, just two questions:

1. If you drive the BMW Z8 (as an example to compare), are you able to see the speedometer sharp? I don't see it very clear, kind of blurry. I am just able to see how fast I am driving, but it is really blurry. Is that normal?

2. To avoid motion sickness, is it better to eat before or after using the VR?

Thx

My replacement PSVR2 should be arriving in the next day or two. Seems there was a fan issue which caused overheating, and a shut-down after a few minutes.

Before the issues, I took a few cars around Tsukuba and was within a tenth or two of my best times. That was with limited playtime. Can’t say what I’ll be like on longer tracks. Will be interested to try out the Nordschleife.

Hi guys,

I got the PS VR2 since two days. Obviously it brings it to a completely new level. Since I am new to VR in general, just two questions:

1. If you drive the BMW Z8 (as an example to compare), are you able to see the speedometer sharp? I don't see it very clear, kind of blurry. I am just able to see how fast I am driving, but it is really blurry. Is that normal?

Thx
1- Just tried and even if it's not crystal clear, it looks quite sharp to me and I can read every numbers perfectly.

2- No idea ^^'

I have two Thrustmaster shifters on my rig, and I switch depending on whether the car is right or left hand drive for even more immersion. Had to learn how to heel and to on both sides, but it just took a little practice.

Hi guys,

Thx
Regarding question 1, it takes a while before your eyes get adjusted to VR. Once they do, it will look sharper. Also adjusting the headset just a tiny bit can make quite a difference in sharpness.

For question 2, I prefer to not have an empty stomach, but also not to have just finished eating.

Last edited:
I have two Thrustmaster shifters on my rig, and I switch depending on whether the car is right or left hand drive for even more immersion. Had to learn how to heel and to on both sides, but it just took a little practice.
How cool is that! 😁
I switched sides a few times but it was so laborious that my shifter ended up on the right side because I love to drive my old Ferrari's and Group C cars. A little frustrating for all the JDM thought... Maybe I'll do the same as you someday!

As for the heel & toe, foot work is exactly the same regardless of your shifter position. You just have to get used to shift with both hand, which is quite easily mastered!

How cool is that! 😁
I switched sides a few times but it was so laborious that my shifter ended up on the right side because I love to drive my old Ferrari's and Group C cars. A little frustrating for all the JDM thought... Maybe I'll do the same as you someday!

As for the heel & toe, foot work is exactly the same regardless of your shifter position. You just have to get used to shift with both hand, which is quite easily mastered!
damn he has a nice solution. Any other solution like something that moves behind the seat? So you set it to the right or left depending on the car.

Someone should create a rig with a little track behind the seat so you move the shifter :lol:

How is your healing and toe’ing different?

1- Just tried and even if it's not crystal clear, it looks quite sharp to me and I can read every numbers perfectly.

2- No idea ^^'

I don’t get it. My wife, a friend of mine and myself we all tried it and none of us see the speedometer clear. We tried everything to get bluriness away, no chance. I can barely read my speed :( I am sad, consider even selling. Or could it be a faulty product?

I don’t get it. My wife, a friend of mine and myself we all tried it and none of us see the speedometer clear. We tried everything to get bluriness away, no chance. I can barely read my speed :( I am sad, consider even selling. Or could it be a faulty product?
A lot of people have been wearing the headset wrong. There’s a thread on some top tips like making sure the strap goes below the lump on the back of your neck and calibrating one eye at a time

Fog, I’ve never experienced it like this before.

Ok story time..

I’ve got my VR legs now and where I couldn’t initially drive the Nordschleife in VR I can now do long sessions without any Ill effect.
So I decided to run a night race at the Nurburgring 24Hr. A mix of Gr3 and Gr4 with me in the customary Grello Manthey Liveried Porsche.

One hour endurance x12 time advance Afternoon to Daylight.

I set my own weather, nothing to drastic Cloudy - Clear and back to Cloudy. First few slots C02 then a few on S03 and then finally finishing with C05 in the last slot.
So I didn’t choose the Alpine mist option (s11) so of course I wasn’t expecting any mist.

Anyway, the race itself was pretty uneventful and once I’d passed the Gr4 cars I couldn’t hang on to the back of the Porsche in front.
(Weak boost, real slipstream, professional AI, they’re definitely faster in custom race after the last update 😀👍)

So there I was, pretty much lapping on my own, totally immersed and enjoying VR and i thought id keep going.

By lap 3 it was pitch black save for the bright shift lights and car info screen and as I excited the GP circuit my mind was wandering slightly. I was about done looking at the full moon and slightly disappointed that it wasn’t directly over the brightly lit castle and I headed out into the blackness of the Northern Loop.

The PSVR2 has amazing black levels and the Nordschleife is quite something at night. Driving through the forest is so atmospheric but I wasn’t prepared for when I got to Ardenhauer Forst, that’s the really fast downhill section into the dip after the Arrenberg bridge and before Kallenhard at the top of the hill.
As I went blasting through the trees at the bottom of the dip I unexpectedly almost completely lost visibility. At first I thought my lenses had fogged up. But it turned out that it wasnt my eyes it was actual fog. Well, virtual fog but I choose to believe it was real.

But I have to say I was a little shocked. I didn’t expect it and as I went round the rest of the lap I noticed it more and more as I went through the lower sections of the track. It proceeded to get thicker and it stayed foggy until the end of the race. By lap 7 dawn had broken and the circuit was extremely atmospheric. I’d long given up hope of catching anyone but drove the rest of the race anyway.

I’ve had the game since launch and had seen mist before but this was actual thick fog. It was quite something. I don’t know if it was just more noticeable in VR or what but I couldn’t help think to myself that Kaz is a genius. The attention to detail in this game is phenomenal and even after playing solidly every day since my headset arrived I’m still taken aback by this awesome experience in VR.
Even Fog has me in disbelief. Crazy.

TLDR:It got unexpectedly foggy in VR and i nearly wet my pants in excitement 🤯🤨.

Last edited:
Can't help myself playing the way I want to play. It's a really cool thing PD have added.

Is this some kind of bug? I thought it automatically moves you.
I know you, I, and others have mentioned this since launch, but a seat in the grandstands would be the best on some tracks. It'd be great to pick your location anywhere so you could preview seats for a race you may want to buy tickets to.

Back