GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
It doesn’t take long to get better at VR than I was in flat mode. I also finally managed to stop using traction control altogether, it seems much easier to catch a potential spin and correct than it was in chase camera, despite the fact I could look directly at the wheels if I wanted to, it seems really easy to tell where the wheels are at any given time. I’d still like a shift indicator and a 3-digit speedometer in the HUD, but I am managing fine without knowing what my speed is since many cars seem to not have a legible speedometer.

Dont know how others feel, but is sim racing on PC at the point of becoming an overblown money fest and that still requires a person to also invest a lot of time in configuring and setting up each title.
Personally I don't agree, I don't find the time needed per title to be onerous, as it brings a significant increase in flexibility with it. Including mod VR support for titles that never officially had it.

In that regard it's an android Vs apple situation. One is more flexible but requires a bit of set-up, the other is inflexible but is plug and play.

In regard to cost, SIM racing is a potential money fest pretty much regardless of platform.

The beauty with GT7 and VR2 is not just how good it is to experience and like you say totally changes the game.
Kudos to both Sony/Polophony on so many aspects which you covered so well in the video.
VR changes the game regardless of platform, PD and Sony get kudos for bringing it to console, but it's far from unique in the genre.

Once again, Sony and a Gran Turismo game, on a console has brought a new technical achievement and benchmark....
Just like they did in the past with high definition 1080i/1080p, 3D support, multi-screens, 4K 60, 3D audio
On console, as you say.

and now in GT7 a VR experience that £ for £ or $ for $ is unrivaled by any platform.
This I have to utterly disagree with, I have the money for PSVR2, but pound for pound it would be far from cost effective for one title. My Quest 2 on the other hand works with more a wide range of sim racing titles.

As such, for me, it offers a significantly better value proposition. PSVR2 will need to both drop in price and support significantly more racing title before it would become a sensible value proposition.

Last edited:
Quick question: has anybody noticed any effects on sleep quality after playing in VR?

I might be paranoid, but longer sessions (1h+; predominately late afternoon/early evening) seem to mess with my circadian rhythm and I wake 2-3 hours early. Might be a coincidence but will continue to observe this. Curious to hear your experiences...

Personally I don't agree, I don't find the time needed per title to be onerous, as it brings a significant increase in flexibility with it. Including mod VR support for titles that never officially had it.

In that regard it's an android Vs apple situation. One is more flexible but requires a bit of set-up, the other is inflexible but is plug and play.

In regard to cost, SIM racing is a potential money fest pretty much regardless of platform.

VR changes the game regardless of platform, PD and Sony get kudos for bringing it to console, but it's far from unique in the genre.

On console, as you say.

This I have to utterly disagree with, I have the money for PSVR2, but pound for pound it would be far from cost effective for one title. My Quest 2 on the other hand works with more a wide range of sim racing titles.

As such, for me, it offers a significantly better value proposition. PSVR2 will need to both drop in price and support significantly more racing title before it would become a sensible value proposition.
If people want mods and specialized community-created content, Jordan already covered that in the video, then yes nobody is denying this is one of the benefits/freedom of the PC platform but you cannot try to use that as an advantage to then discredit the importance to some people, in how Sonys VR2 is plug in and go.

We also cannot downplay the integration between developer and hardware that GT seems to accomplish more or better than any PC racing title to date has managed. If someone wants to enjoy the best visuals on a title like ACC, then they are going to need a 3-4K PC for that. Or if they want to enjoy i-racing in VR with 2001 level of graphics /visuals but in high res/high frame rate this is the other most popular option.

Here we see one of the biggest differences, with PS5 and VR2, you can be enjoying VR titles that are optimized for the hardware and ready to play in minutes. No fuss dude, no driver issues no hardware issues, no crazy high system specs like a 4K PC required to then experience the best VR for PC titles. How things stand currently, a top GPU is now the price a full system used to be and the question some will ask themselves is whether it is worth spending that much money on.

Gaming is sometimes deemed as better when it's no hassle, simple and fun, it's not always about the specs or the potential of the hardware but the experience. Some minor quirks aside, GT7 has totally nailed the experience and yes I think many on these forums would pay the cost of the VR headset even if it only worked on GT7.

We cannot deny how often, it is the desire to enjoy a single specific game that leads many people to spend on hardware. GT7 as I illustrated over the years (for a console) did bring new technical advances and experiences which helped drive (lol) people to purchase new hardware to enjoy that specific game or games in an improved manner.

Jordan also discussed, his surprised enjoyment of the VR garage and the character of each car....
GT7 is a "driving sim" not necessarily, a full-blown racer and nothing on PC comes close to the unique experience for car lovers and enthusiasts that it brings. No PC racing franchise or title has the level of manufacturing support or global recognition that "Gran Tusismo" has built over the years.

May I finish in saying, from my own perspective with the inclusion of VR2 and the unofficial compatibility with Simhub, that enables tactile/motion/wind enhancements. Players can now begin to experience GT7 as if it were available on PC. Yet, £ for £ what a PS5 and GT7 achieve from a technical level and also as an enjoyable exciting, and new experience, I would say again, it is unmatched. A PC setup costing 3x 4x 5x more is not going to be that times more fun or impressive to experience.

Sony need to convince developers like EA to add PS5 VR support if they are already offering PC VR support.
Lets see if F1 2023 will manage to offer this?

Last edited:
If people want mods and specialized community-created content, Jordan already covered that in the video, then yes nobody is denying this is one of the benefits/freedom of the PC platform but you cannot try to use that as an advantage to then discredit the importance to some people, in how Sonys VR2 is plug in and go.

We also cannot downplay the integration between developer and hardware that GT seems to accomplish more or better than any PC racing title to date has managed. If someone wants to enjoy the best visuals on a title like ACC, then they are going to need a 3-4K PC for that. Or if they want to enjoy i-racing in VR with 2001 level of graphics /visuals but in high res/high frame rate this is the other most popular option.

Here we see one of the biggest differences, with PS5 and VR2, you can be enjoying VR titles that are optimized for the hardware and ready to play in minutes. No fuss dude, no driver issues no hardware issues, no crazy high system specs like a 4K PC required to then experience the best VR for PC titles. How things stand currently, a top GPU is now the price a full system used to be and the question some will ask themselves is whether it is worth spending that much money on.

Gaming is sometimes deemed as better when it's no hassle, simple and fun, it's not always about the specs or the potential of the hardware but the experience. Some minor quirks aside, GT7 has totally nailed the experience and yes I think many on these forums would pay the cost of the VR headset even if it only worked on GT7.

We cannot deny how often, it is the desire to enjoy a single specific game that leads many people to spend on hardware. GT7 as I illustrated over the years (for a console) did bring new technical advances and experiences which helped drive (lol) people to purchase new hardware to enjoy that specific game or games in an improved manner.

Jordan also discussed, his surprised enjoyment of the VR garage and the character of each car....
GT7 is a "driving sim" not necessarily, a full-blown racer and nothing on PC comes close to the unique experience for car lovers and enthusiasts that it brings. No PC racing franchise or title has the level of manufacturing support or global recognition that "Gran Tusismo" has built over the years.

May I finish in saying, from my own perspective with the inclusion of VR2 and the unofficial compatibility with Simhub, that enables tactile/motion/wind enhancements. Players can now begin to experience GT7 as if it were available on PC. £ for £ what a PS5 and GT7 achieve from a technical level and also as an enjoyable exciting and new experience, I would say again, it is unmatched. A PC setup costing 3x 4x 5x more is not going to be that times more fun or impressive.

Sony need to convince developers like EA to add PS5 VR support if they are already offering PC VR support.
Lets see if F1 2023 will manage to offer this?
Wow.

It's as if you didn't read my post at all...

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 + PSVR 2 Full Review: Gimmick or Game Changer?

The PlayStation VR2 is finally here, but for the cost, you may be wondering if it’s something you are going to use a few times and then set to the side, or is it actually a revolutionary device that will change the way you play Gran Turismo forever?
Beautiful, but it costs too much. Many fans bought the VR paying 600 Euros, now they should spend 600 Euros more for the VR2, maybe in a year the VR3 model will be released. It is a jewel reserved only for the rich people.
There are those who can and those who cannot. I can't.

I don’t think it costs too much. It is very expensive but in line with what I thought.

I don’t own any VR equipment. But if I did I’d gladly pay the 20% more for one made by Sony than something I have to use with a PC.

Gaming is meant to be fun and anything involving a PC nowadays is just stress.

On a different note but entirely related to VR: Anyone here have a Trak Racer TR8 rig? I have the monster TR160 aluminum-profile rig, but it’s a pain in the ass in the space I have. I only got it because I needed a setup that put the seating high enough to put me square at eye level with my wall-mounted tv. VR has instantly rendered that issue moot. I’m seriously considering downsizing my rig footprint. The woman would be thrilled 🤣
My only hesitation is if it’s truly stiff enough for the way I run my Fanatec V3 pedals super stiff. I put a lot of leg force into my braking. Don’t want to switch and find there’s noticeable flex. Online reviews aren’t particularly helpful in this regard.
Or does anyone have recommendations for a similar but better rig than the TR8?

Please explain more. What is YT? YouTube? LOL
Seriously highly recommend the Playseat Trophy

I'd always found racing games to be boring.

But once they announced the release of GT7 for VR2, I pulled the trigger and bought it with a wheel & pedals, one month before the release.

My friend recommended me T300 and I loved it, even flat. Quickly my love for racing increased & I invested in LCM pedals and a simple rig just for pedals. I wanted to spend $300-400 but ended up spending around $700 ...

Then VR2 came and the experience got to another level. 2 weeks later and I ordered Playseat Trophy & Logitech G Pro with pedals (around $2000). This is the best gaming experience I've ever had in 25y of gaming. Nothing comes close to it. I'd never imagined myself spending so much on racing and pulling the trigger as fast. Even if only GT7 was available, I'd still buy VR2.

Thx for your encouraging words! I did try it again and it felt better this time. Maybe my expectations were also a bit too high.

I mean the cockpits look great but reading the actual speed of the real speedometer in the car (not the HUD) is not easy during a race. Same for you I assume? As you said, eye needs time to focus but while racing you only give it a quick glance, its just not very sharp. Text in the menus for example is easy to read and clear

Assuming that VR will never be like Oled 4k, this is my experience: have you seriously checked your sight from an Oculist? Unfortunately VR reveals every sight problem. In any case you have to focus your eyes on speedometer lowering your position

Wow.

It's as if you didn't read my post at all...
It's as if you're downplaying certain aspects in favour of propping up whats possible in PC VR.
I have tried to compare to the PC but my focus is on the topic.

Seems you are ignoring the fact that "Gran Turismo" has always been a franchise that sold consoles and was behind the decisions of many to buy additional hardware to further enjoy it. Even though you seem to be holding off, others are much more excited or enthusiastic to be able to experience this ASAP.

We never would have expected it so soon, or for it to be as good as it is, including being available to use within all races/events.
Some are even saying this is currently the "most enjoyable" racing sim VR experience you can have right now. VR for PS5 is a positive not a negative while PC VR has perhaps stagnated with improved hardware coming but little improvement from developers or AAA titles to excite people.

Regards value, it very much depends how much you want to experience GT7 in VR (or other titles/exclusives coming) and how much you expect to play it to determine how good or bad in value it may be worthwhile.

GT7 is unique in the genre, as no other VR racing title offers what it currently offers, simple to setup, you can easily go in and out of VR mode and enjoy features like the VR garage. It's not just about the driving experience that wows people. Being able to appreciate the car models and detail to a new level in itself for me is astounding. I can only hope they expand on this or further improve the VR spectator/replay modes.

Someone now has the choice to buy the VR2 before they might consider buying a wheel and pedal set.
You can play GT7 (as I have) with the controller and VR fine. Even with this on PS5, we have the best features/usage of any gamepad with a racing sim title that I am aware of.

Try doing that with some PC racing titles as they have rather poor gamepad/controller integration.
Even that can be a lot of hassle to set up and configure for PC.

Based on reading people's views here on these forums and from video reviews.
I have a Logitech G Pro wheel arriving this week, that cost more than the PS5 and VR2 combined.
Yet it's only a wheel and pedals, I can't play other types of games on it. I'm not expecting to but that does not mean as an expensive purchase it will not be very enjoyable and bring hundreds or thousands of hours of entertainment with GT7 alone.

For me but perhaps also others too, the primary reason to buy a PS5, to buy the VR2, and to buy an expensive wheel and pedal has been GT7. Why, because I know it lets me enjoy a title I have played and enjoyed for a large part of my life but to relive this and enjoy it further at a totally new level than before.

Last edited:
It's as if you're downplaying certain aspects in favour of propping up whats possible in PC VR.
I have tried to compare to the PC but my focus is on the topic.

Seems you are ignoring the fact that "Gran Turismo" has always been a franchise that sold consoles and was behind the decisions of many to buy additional hardware to further enjoy it. Even though you seem to be holding off, others are much more excited or enthusiastic to be able to experience this ASAP.

We never would have expected it so soon, or for it to be as good as it is, including being available to use within all races/events.
Some are even saying this is currently the "most enjoyable" racing sim VR experience you can have right now. VR for PS5 is a positive not a negative while PC VR has perhaps stagnated with improved hardware coming but little improvement from developers or AAA titles to excite people.

Regards value, it very much depends how much you want to experience GT7 in VR (or other titles/exclusives coming) and how much you expect to play it to determine how good or bad in value it may be worthwhile.

GT7 is unique in the genre, as no other VR racing title offers what it currently offers, simple to setup, you can easily go in and out of VR mode and enjoy features like the VR garage. It's not just about the driving experience that wows people. Being able to appreciate the car models and detail to a new level in itself for me is astounding. I can only hope they expand on this or further improve the VR spectator/replay modes.

Someone now has the choice to buy the VR2 before they might consider buying a wheel and pedal set.
You can play GT7 (as I have) with the controller and VR fine. Even with this on PS5, we have the best features/usage of any gamepad with a racing sim title that I am aware of.

Try doing that with some PC racing titles as they have rather poor gamepad/controller integration.
Even that can be a lot of hassle to set up and configure for PC.

Based on reading people's views here on these forums and from video reviews.
I have a Logitech G Pro wheel arriving this week, that cost more than the PS5 and VR2 combined.
Yet it's only a wheel and pedals, I can't play other types of games on it. I'm not expecting to but that does not mean as an expensive purchase it will not be very enjoyable and bring hundreds or thousands of hours of entertainment with GT7 alone.

For me but perhaps also others too, the primary reason to buy a PS5, to buy the VR2, and to buy an expensive wheel and pedal has been GT7. Why, because I know it lets me enjoy a title I have played and enjoyed for a large part of my life but to relive this and enjoy it further at a totally new level than before.

You seem to have missed the repeated 'for me' and similar in my post, and the very second paragraph I wrote, which clearly said.

One is more flexible but requires a bit of set-up, the other is inflexible but is plug and play.

I'm not downplaying PSVR2, I'm offering a different view, one you don't seem to want to hear.

Edited to add: Nor did GT7 do a VR walk around first, PSVR and Driveclub offered it.

Last edited:
You seem to have missed the repeated 'for me' and similar in my post, and the very second paragraph I wrote, which clearly said.

I'm not downplaying PSVR2, I'm offering a different view, one you don't seem to want to hear.

Edited to add: Nor did GT7 do a VR walk around first, PSVR and Driveclub offered it.
I think I've touched a nerve with you, in making some comparisons to PC.
Can you play GT7 on your Quest 2?

The thread is about GT7 and VR2, if you can offer your own experience in trying it, that's great and relate to comparisons with other options, but if you cant then "your views" are just that.

I didn't say GT7 is the first to offer a VR walk around, it's about the experience of it in how it has been done with the GT7 car models that is the "wow" factor. No other title currently or in the past has done this so well or made VR so seamless and easy.
Dare I even say, so much "fun".

We only have to look on Youtube to see how so many people are really impressed with this.
It seems to be a very special time in the history of Gran Turismo that we get to now experience and connect with it like we never could properly do before.

Last edited:
Good. After having it for one week it doesn’t bother me at all. I can do massive spins outs and laugh it off.
In VR, I can actually recover the car quicker from massive spin-outs. You naturally rotate your head up the track during the spin and reactively turn the wheel to set up the recovery. Last night I got clipped by another driver heading into Parabolica. I recovered the 360 spin directly into the outer line of the track and retained my position.

Recovering from spinouts and crashes used to be a massive weakness of mine.

I know I already made a thread about it that nobody cared about, BUT I NEED WIPER SOUNDS ASAP.

It´s absolutely jarring.

Reading in this thread while on vacation both tortured me and kept me going!

Did 200+ miles yesterday, joining that club @Papiculo64

1. Whoever mentioned Willow springs as a track they used to hate but was completely different in VR... I agree wholeheartedly.

I've avoided that track like the plague as it is loathsome to me. But, I decided to take a run at the 5 lap Historic sports car Masters races and I dreaded the Willow springs event until I did it and I loved it so much I did it three times.

2. Early in this thread someone mentioned a new appreciation for using different cars. Again, I now wholeheartedly agree. I selected the Countach for those historic sports car races and it is so beautiful, with its supple white leather interior that I went off the road a couple of times just looking around in that vehicle. Stunning, really.

3. I did my first two online sport races. The new open wheeler at Monza is a thing to behold. Like the earlier video posted, you just can't help yourself. I am more capable in VR than I ever was on flat.

4. I was hoping it would not be the case, but there is no way around it... Once we have spent any amount of time in VR it is near impossible to enjoy racing flat.

I've tried two or three different times now and the track looks ultra long and thin and it's actually harder to see things than it was before.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I got the PS VR2 since two days. Obviously it brings it to a completely new level. Since I am new to VR in general, just two questions:

1. If you drive the BMW Z8 (as an example to compare), are you able to see the speedometer sharp? I don't see it very clear, kind of blurry. I am just able to see how fast I am driving, but it is really blurry. Is that normal?

2. To avoid motion sickness, is it better to eat before or after using the VR?

Thx
I have seen that some people take travel sickness pills before a VR session.

I think for me the purchase of the PSVR2 was the least risky move into VR realm, I have a number of PC titles iRacing, AC, ACC, RF2 etc., but was uncertain of the high investment into VR technology, plus how would it show off the deficiency's in modeling in certain titles, but now I see this is the way moving forward.

I'll repeat the sentiment again, this week's Daily A with the RA272 at Monza is truly something. You can just "feel" your way through a 4 wheel slide in this thing. It seems so basic but looking in the mirrors, left/right and even over your shoulder at the other drivers is just next level. Luckily I've had 4 or 5 clean races so far so don't be afraid. In one lobby 4/12 drivers were using VR.

Also, if you want to experience a barrel roll in VR, simply clip the sausage curbs in Ascari and pop this car over like nothing lol.

How's everyone's eyes doing? I still feel a bit of fatigue after a while and have to stop. Wish I could go a little longer as I feel like there's just no going back to flat screen after this.

My 2
Cents:
1. Brain not trained (it’s trained for flat tv)
2. Eyes not trained
3. More informations for brain and eyes to process
4. More adrenaline
5. Playing in the evening
=
Problems in sleeping or quitting after a while . (and also messing in dream about Vr like I do).
I feel fine (I was so scared if you can recall). Only sometimes for some reasons after playing even ten minutes I can feel tired and fuzzy. But I am 50.

Last edited:
I think I've touched a nerve with you, in making some comparisons to PC.
Can you play GT7 on your Quest 2?

The thread is about GT7 and VR2, if you can offer your own experience in trying it, that's great and relate to comparisons with other options, but if you cant then "your views" are just that.

I didn't say GT7 is the first to offer a VR walk around, it's about the experience of it in how it has been done with the GT7 car models that is the "wow" factor. No other title currently or in the past has done this so well or made VR so seamless and easy.
Dare I even say, so much "fun".

We only have to look on Youtube to see how so many people are really impressed with this.
It seems to be a very special time in the history of Gran Turismo that we get to now experience and connect with it like we never could properly do before.
No nerve touched at all, you opened the discussion in regard to other platforms in your post I quoted, as such you opened the door, don't complain when people walk through it.

"and now in GT7 a VR experience that £ for £ or $ for $ is unrivaled by any platform."

All I did was then cover my own views on it, something you didn't seem to appreciate, nor do I need to have one to explain my rational for not buying one!

You seem to have expected only positive feedback on your post, but GTP isn't an echo chamber or your personal blog, as such my views on why I don't, currently, see PSVR2 as value for SIM racing are both perfectly valid and on topic in this thread.

Last edited:
Tbh I do hope people figure out drivers for PSVR2 to work for PC, would be nice to play ACC and iRacing in VR without needing another headset. It's quite hard to want to go back and try playing those more on my monitor after getting used to GT7 VR. Though eventually I'll probably just end up with a PC headset but not for a while.

@Scaff explaining why the PSVR2 is not a buy for him is important for this thread.

Most of us would buy it again because we love it. However, there are many who either haven't made the decision or can't afford it (and thus may end up overextending themselves to get it) who need to hear as many opinions as possible.

I have no problem with someone posting why it is/isn't for them, while not actually owning one.

As a peripheral PSVR2 certainly isn't cheap, I had to juggle my finances to pay for it in February. Straight after the expenditure of Christmas. But I also view it as a 3-5 year investment. Probably longer if, as I expect, GT8 supports the headset. Similar reasoning to why I always buy PlayStation console hardware day one.

Last edited:
As a peripheral PSVR2 certainly isn't cheap, I had to juggle my finances to pay for it in February. Straight after the expenditure of Christmas. But I also view it as a 3-5 year investment. Probably longer if, as I expect, GT8 supports the headset. Similar reasoning to why I always buy PlayStation console hardware day one.
I'm curious to know if you decided to purchase it based on early reviews by content creators or based on the information that Sony themselves provided.

For me, it was a combination of both. However, the greatest factor in my purchase was that I wasn't really playing GT7 anymore and was only looking ahead to Motorsport 8 and the next game from Ian Bell.

Now that I've experienced racing in VR I'm not even active in those threads anymore because if they don't have VR I'm not sure I'll play them

My deepest inner sweet dream and wish is a patch from PD in two months with : VOILAT HERE IS AN IMPROVED VERSION OF VR GT7! I could get crazy and cry.

Back