GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
No nerve touched at all, you opened the discussion in regard to other platforms in your post I quoted, as such you opened the door, don't complain when people walk through it.

"and now in GT7 a VR experience that £ for £ or $ for $ is unrivaled by any platform."

All I did was then cover my own views on it, something you didn't seem to appreciate, nor do I need to have one to explain my rational for not buying one!

You seem to have expected only positive feedback on your post, but GTP isn't an echo chamber or your personal blog, as such my views on why I don't, currently, see PSVR2 as value for SIM racing are both perfectly valid and on topic in this thread.
"Seem to of expected only positive feedback", err I've not expected anything, gave my views that you want to disagree with and that's fine too, but the views I gave are from having experienced it enough now to compare the experience it brought (for me) in how it adds to the game.

Last edited:
I'm curious to know if you decided to purchase it based on early reviews by content creators or based on the information that Sony themselves provided.

For me, it was a combination of both. However, the greatest factor in my purchase was that I wasn't really playing GT7 anymore and was only looking ahead to Motorsport 8 and the next game from Ian Bell.

Now that I've experienced racing in VR I'm not even active in those threads anymore because if they don't have VR I'm not sure I'll play them
My pre-order went in after I saw hands-on impressions and confirmation of all modes being compatible with VR. I wasn't personally that concerned about Sport mode in VR, but knew it was important to garner broader support from the community. I used to be a big gamer upto the PS4 days, but with other interests I now almost exclusively play GT7. I too was keeping an eye on other upcoming driving titles. But I don't honestly see me going back to non-VR racing.

Ironically, I've been without PSVR2 since last week as I needed a replacement. Did a few events in flat mode to buy the new DLC cars, while still enjoyable, the experience is far below the thrill of driving in VR.
My deepest inner sweet dream and wish is a patch from PD in two months with : VOILAT HERE IS AN IMPROVED VERSION OF VR GT7! I could get crazy and cry.
I'm looking forward to tweaks & improvements now they have so much feedback. I'm sure we'll see changes to seat position, replays, and so on. Maybe they'll tweak their rendering to improve image quality further.

Last edited:
Whilst I bought first psvr and was happy enough with it, I was disappointed with the lack of support for racing games such as dirt rally 2.

Think I’ll wait to see if my favoured genre of rally is catered for with the upcoming wrc game before jumping on psvr2.

It’s just a freakin’ awesome game right now. The ultimate Gran Turismo. Yeah, I said it.
I’m not hyping it by any means. It’s how I feel about this game in the franchise.

When I booted up the game, took my time to set up the headset. Tuned a few Evo IV and headed back to GVH for more replay action. Once the race started, I was greeted with most real experience for me so far. The realness of the Evo IV interior. I owned a ‘98 Mirage/Cyborg base model. It’s just a Lancer hatchback. In VR, it has to be one of the most open/airy of cockpits in this game.
The modelling is perfect. The vision through the lenses were high resolution, in that, I played from 7pm to 11pm, with no fatigue( I took the suggestion from a post above to lower the brightness 👍). PSVR2 has changed the franchise for me.

A point about the sounds through the supplied earphones. I have a set of headphones, but the earphones sound great. Haven’t felt the need to use my headphones. PD has everything turned Up to 11. Sounds in the distance, in tunnels, fly bys. it’s an aural treat.

I’m stuck on the VR replays. The motion/blur rendering doesn’t ruin the experience for me. The camera switches are too much, but the attitude of the cars and the sound effects, cancel out the negatives. Scrapes from the air dam, off and on throttle inlet noises, off track excursions on dirt and crashes, it all looks real.
The same way some players feel they can’t go back to playing tv mode, I feel I can’t go back to normal replays. It’s getting that serious.

I like vr much in gt7. But that ghosting in vr replays is too much. I dont understand why they have released it. Im hoping that they figure it out and can fixed in future patch. But it is cool watch some track side action in vr replays.

Last edited:
For sure. If Sony & PD can improve that image quality, it’s definitely a wrap.

Just as a side, wasn’t there a photo or video of a vintage VHS filter for replays? Thats similar to how the VR replays look through the lenses.

Anyone have some car suggestions that are particularly awesome in VR? Coming back to GT7 after a break and trying to figure out what to spend some credits on.

"Seem to of expected only positive feedback", err I've not expected anything, gave my views that you want to disagree with and that's fine too, but the views I gave are from having experienced it enough now to compare the experience it brought (for me) in how it adds to the game.
And I never dismissed them, I simply said they don't, currently, work for me.

To which you started going on about how I should comment off I don't own it, which is quite frankly inane given my views are on why it's not for me right now.

To be frank I can now add a second reason to avoid it currently, and that's so I can avoid this kind of intolerance to those that might disagree.

Feel free to 'have the last word'.

'No VR, No Buy' has come to the PS5, it has been a refrain for many on the PC side for a while.

I'm surprised with myself that I didn't know there was a big VR community in PC racing. Even though I don't have a gaming PC and I strictly game on PS5 and Xbox series x, I feel like I should have known that.

Do you feel upcoming games like Motorsports 8 and Ian's game (I don't know why I can't remember the name) could implement VR on console? Once somebody has done it the way PD has, does that make it easier for other developers to do it?

I'm surprised with myself that I didn't know there was a big VR community in PC racing. Even though I don't have a gaming PC and I strictly game on PS5 and Xbox series x, I feel like I should have known that.
Sim racing is the PC game genre with the highest uptake rate of VR users, by far. I can't think of any PC sim the last few years that doesn't have VR support (even Richard Burns Rally has a community VR mod). I did lots of VR sim racing with my Oculus Rift S until I got sick of fiddling around with things. Having a mid-range gaming laptop definitely wasn't helping, either. But even with that RTX 2060 laptop I was getting pretty decent VR performance out of every sim racer except DiRT Rally 2.0 and Assetto Corsa Competizione. However I gave up PC gaming about 2.5 years ago and was not racing at all until about 1.5 years ago when I got my hands on a PS5.
Do you feel upcoming games like Motorsports 8 and Ian's game (I don't know why I can't remember the name) could implement VR on console? Once somebody has done it the way PD has, does that make it easier for other developers to do it?
I know you directed this at @Scaff and for sure he will chime in, and in addition I can chime in as well.

You can forget about Forza VR implementation. Microsoft has all but thrown in the towel on VR. They have no VR equipment in the works and have basically shut down the WMR (Windows Mixed Reality) program which was very promising in its heyday a few years ago, the most popular headsets being the Samsung Odyssey and HP Reverb, both of witch boasted a solid price/performance ratio (and they actually are still great headsets for the money, especially the latest iteration of the Reverb).

Ian's game you are referring to would be "GTR Revival". It's looking like a modern take on a classic sim racer called "GTR2". You can look it up if you want but it was a sim racer loved by many. Who knows if it will have VR support on PS5 or not. Ian's Madness Engine was great for VR. Project CARS 2 had one of the better VR implementations on PC, and Reiza also has a well-executed VR implementation in Automobilista 2. However, the Madness Engine is now owned by CodeMasters/EA so we'll have to see what Ian comes up with this time with his new "Straight4 Studios" dev team.

As far as the stellar GT7 VR implementation, it's not easy to predict how that could influence other devs on the PS5. There are myriad factors at play and many of them are only known behind board room meeting doors. I can guarantee that GT7 will spawn a new #NoVRnoBuy movement on the PS5. In fact, you can already see the beginning of the resistance to go back to "pancake mode" in this very thread. There are plenty more on other forums and social platforms who are also questioning whether they would buy future PS5 racing titles or not depending on VR support. Does #NoVRnoBuy really hold any weight, though? That's a tough question to answer. The #NoVRnoBuy army likes to pat itself on the back for "forcing" Codemasters to add VR to DR2.0 after launch. However, we will never know if the the complaints or hypothetical loss in sales from potential VR customers had anything to do with it. It could have been a deal between CM and Oculus, or a kneejerk reaction by CM, or maybe it was already planned and CM merely announced it when it was ready.

I seem to be rambling a bit so I'll cut to the chase:

• GT7 is a successful PS5/PSVR2 implementation (as a proof of concept at least - let's leave the graphics/smoothness/sales data aside until we have something to compare it to)
  • F1 '23 has been announced WITH PCVR support and WITHOUT PSVR2 support, so that doesn't bode well for WRC '23 on console.
  • Forget about ACC with PS VR2, that game is hard enough to run properly on a high end PC in VR.
  • Test Drive Solar Crown will likely not include VR on any platform given KT's recent history.
  • GTR Revival is still a complete unknown in general, let alone VR support.
I believe that F1 '23 and WRC '23, both due by mid-year, will be the true litmus test of how far devs may be willing to go to support PS VR2. If anyone has the resources and know-how to do it, it's Codemasters and EA. Don't forget that DiRT Rally was basically the ONLY PSVR racing title with full support for the entire game (Driveclub VR was a spinoff of the main title, and GT Sport did not have full implementation). No planned F1 '23 support is bad news. We'll have to wait and see with WRC '23. The PSVR2#NoVRnoBuy army could become quite loud and annoying, just as it can be with PCVR. Whether that influences devs at all is anyone's guess, and the installed PS VR2 hardware base definitely will play a vital role in dev's decisions.

Last edited:
Just like they did in the past with high definition 1080i/1080p, 3D support, multi-screens, 4K 60, 3D audio and now in GT7 a VR experience that £ for £ or $ for $ is unrivaled by any platform.

This I have to utterly disagree with, I have the money for PSVR2, but pound for pound it would be far from cost effective for one title. My Quest 2 on the other hand works with more a wide range of sim racing titles.

As such, for me, it offers a significantly better value proposition.
It's funny how just a few words can create such a misunderstanding. @Mr Latte said "$ for $ is unrivaled by any platform" and @Scaff utterly disagreed because "for him" it wasn't. Value can only be measured by how much money you have and what you're willing to spend. I think we all can agree that the cost of PC gaming vs. PS is significant. If you're using a VR headset for multiple titles vs. one than yes that offers more value.

However, the PSVR2 also offers value for your average gamer. At this point in time it may not be worth it for most people at this price point, but there's no denying the value is there for what you're getting. I myself find it worth it just for GT7 alone and there are more VR games I plan to buy. I think mass acceptance of PSVR2 will probably come later this year when holiday season comes around. Perhaps the value will be there than as there will be a larger catalog of games.

Sim racing is the PC game genre with the highest uptake rate of VR users, by far. I can't think of any PC sim the last few years that doesn't have VR support (even Richard Burns Rally has a community VR mod). I did lots of VR sim racing with my Oculus Rift S until I got sick of fiddling around with things. Having a mid-range gaming laptop definitely wasn't helping, either. But even with that RTX 2060 laptop I was getting pretty decent VR performance out of every sim racer except DiRT Rally 2.0 and Assetto Corsa Competizione. However I gave up PC gaming about 2.5 years ago and was not racing at all until about 1.5 years ago when I got my hands on a PS5.

I know you directed this at @Scaff and for sure he will chime in, and in addition I can chime in as well.

You can forget about Forza VR implementation. Microsoft has all but thrown in the towel on VR. They have no VR equipment in the works and have basically shut down the WMR (Windows Mixed Reality) program which was very promising in its heyday a few years ago, the most popular headsets being the Samsung Odyssey and HP Reverb, both of witch boasted a solid price/performance ratio (and they actually are still great headsets for the money, especially the latest iteration of the Reverb).

Ian's game you are referring to would be "GTR Revival". It's looking like a modern take on a classic sim racer called "GTR2". You can look it up if you want but it was a sim racer loved by many. Who knows if it will have VR support on PS5 or not. Ian's Madness Engine was great for VR. Project CARS 2 had one of the better VR implementations on PC, and Reiza also has a well-executed VR implementation in Automobilista 2. However, the Madness Engine is now owned by CodeMasters/EA so we'll have to see what Ian comes up with this time with his new "Straight4 Studios" dev team.

As far as the stellar GT7 VR implementation, it's not easy to predict how that could influence other devs on the PS5. There are myriad factors at play and many of them are only known behind board room meeting doors. I can guarantee that GT7 will spawn a new #NoVRnoBuy movement on the PS5. In fact, you can already see the beginning of the resistance to go back to "pancake mode" in this very thread. There are plenty more on other forums and social platforms who are also questioning whether they would buy future PS5 racing titles or not depending on VR support. Does #NoVRnoBuy really hold any weight, though? That's a tough question to answer. The #NoVRnoBuy army likes to pat itself on the back for "forcing" Codemasters to add VR to DR2.0 after launch. However, we will never know if the the complaints or hypothetical loss in sales from potential VR customers had anything to do with it. It could have been a deal between CM and Oculus, or a kneejerk reaction by CM, or maybe it was already planned and CM merely announced it when it was ready.

I seem to be rambling a bit so I'll cut to the chase:

• GT7 is a successful PS5/PSVR2 implementation (as a proof of concept at least - let's leave the graphics/smoothness/sales data aside until we have something to compare it to)
  • F1 '23 has been announced WITH PCVR support and WITHOUT PSVR2 support, so that doesn't bode well for WRC '23 on console.
  • Forget about ACC with PS VR2, that game is hard enough to run properly on a high end PC in VR.
  • Test Drive Solar Crown will likely not include VR on any platform given KT's recent history.
  • GTR Revival is still a complete unknown in general, let alone VR support.
I believe that F1 '23 and WRC '23, both due by mid-year, will be the true litmus test of how far devs may be willing to go to support PS VR2. If anyone has the resources and know-how to do it, it's Codemasters and EA. Don't forget that DiRT Rally was basically the ONLY PSVR racing title with full support for the entire game (Driveclub VR was a spinoff of the main title, and GT Sport did not have full implementation). No planned F1 '23 support is bad news. We'll have to wait and see with WRC '23. The PSVR2#NoVRnoBuy army could become quite loud and annoying, just as it can be with PCVR. Whether that influences devs at all is anyone's guess, and the installed PS VR2 hardware base definitely will play a vital role in dev's decisions.
What a phenomenal breakdown. Thank you

My hope is that Sony slash the price of the PSVR2 so they can sell millions (?) more. It seems like there are too many people who can't afford it.

It won't bother me that I've already paid the premium price. If the base of players who own a VR system for console gets increasingly larger, developers may be forced to make their racing titles VR compatible

After two weeks of feeling pretty nervous about trying gt7 + vr (fear of motion sickness), and after building up some stamina with other games, I finally gave it a shot today.

I played with a very slow A112 on Tokyo Expressway, and sadly after only 1.5 laps I had to stop. What followed was a couple of hours of feeling pretty sick. It kinda breaks my heart a little, since GT7 was one of the main reasons I got the headset :(

After two weeks of feeling pretty nervous about trying gt7 + vr (fear of motion sickness), and after building up some stamina with other games, I finally gave it a shot today.

I played with a very slow A112 on Tokyo Expressway, and sadly after only 1.5 laps I had to stop. What followed was a couple of hours of feeling pretty sick. It kinda breaks my heart a little, since GT7 was one of the main reasons I got the headset :(
Keep trying buddy! Load yourself up with ginger or go all out with motion sickness medication and continue to ease yourself in.. Start with a single lap in second gear and stop even while you're feeling fine and then take the headset off. Once you break the cycle of your brain telling your stomach to feel unwell when it see's things that it's not physically feeling then you'll be golden. You got this!

Also, start of with Tsukuba (since its flat) or even Special Stage Route X (just close your eyes on the banking initially until you're on the straight)

Last edited:
It’s just a freakin’ awesome game right now. The ultimate Gran Turismo. Yeah, I said it.
I’m not hyping it by any means. It’s how I feel about this game in the franchise.

When I booted up the game, took my time to set up the headset. Tuned a few Evo IV and headed back to GVH for more replay action. Once the race started, I was greeted with most real experience for me so far. The realness of the Evo IV interior. I owned a ‘98 Mirage/Cyborg base model. It’s just a Lancer hatchback. In VR, it has to be one of the most open/airy of cockpits in this game.
The modelling is perfect. The vision through the lenses were high resolution, in that, I played from 7pm to 11pm, with no fatigue( I took the suggestion from a post above to lower the brightness 👍). PSVR2 has changed the franchise for me.

A point about the sounds through the supplied earphones. I have a set of headphones, but the earphones sound great. Haven’t felt the need to use my headphones. PD has everything turned Up to 11. Sounds in the distance, in tunnels, fly bys. it’s an aural treat.

I’m stuck on the VR replays. The motion/blur rendering doesn’t ruin the experience for me. The camera switches are too much, but the attitude of the cars and the sound effects, cancel out the negatives. Scrapes from the air dam, off and on throttle inlet noises, off track excursions on dirt and crashes, it all looks real.
The same way some players feel they can’t go back to playing tv mode, I feel I can’t go back to normal replays. It’s getting that serious.

During camera switches in VR I just close my eyes for a second and it's far less disorienting.

30% of professional IRACING players use Vr with high end pc

Last edited:

You will succeed ! Go slowly. Spend an afternoon dizzy and you will win ! If I did it anybody can !

Seriously highly recommend the Playseat Trophy
Appreciate it, but I went with the TR8. It'll be here Thursday. I looked at the Trophy but coming from a profile rig that's solid as a rock, I can't put up with any noticeable flex, especially with my load-cell pedals set super stiff/hard the way I like them. Not saying the Trophy has flex, I have no idea, but the TR8 looks even more solid. Plus I already have a seat I like from my existing Trak Racer rig that I can use for the TR8. Hoping I'm happy with it, as I'm only switching from my big rig because I really don't like how much space it takes up, and my girl likes it even less LOL
Now I just have to find a way to sell my existing rig ...

I think you were being your own worst enemy there, dreading it before trying. The brain is a crazy thing and can make you sick just by convincing yourself you’re going to probably be motion sick. You need to reframe your mindset. You WILL be able to race in VR soon enough with some easing into it.

Next time try a different car/track, maybe have a drink beforehand and get in a positive mood. I’ve had mild sickness in GT7 and it‘s definitely getting a little better each day. And the one day I had a small drink before, I felt no motion sickness at all. Not saying alcohol is the solution, but it can at least give you one good session to change your mindset into thinking it is possible.

Last edited:
Interesting data point/observation....

As far as I can see on the internets, Real Life drivers whom sim race, do so on Triples as opposed to VR. I've often wondered why? As I assumed that the likes of Verstappen and Grossjean (and their teams), could afford top level; or "above market" PC, motion rigs, and VR sets that emulate real life closely. Maybe they do.. I have no clue.

BUT!!!!.....

I was out practicing on my dirt bike today, and something with my vision felt off. I don't ride dirt bikes at anywhere near the stratosphere of the speeds they do in F1, but the rate in which I have to process information, is probably equivalent to F1. Like @Scaff mentioned a few pages ago; speed is relevant to FOV and for lack of better terms; width of the road. In my case, the "road" is 12-24" in width, and while traveling up to 40mph, I have to read terrain, figure out which rocks and bumps I can go over, and which rocks and bumps will throw me off the bike. And I have to do this while I rocket from turn to turn in the span of anywhere from 20-100'.

But I digress...
I don't play Gran Turismo but a few times a week, but I drive Fire Engines for a living, and ride dirt bikes 1-2 times a week. I haven't noticed a difference when commuting to/from work and while at work... But today something with my vision (in particular my depth perception) was off. I wasn't able to to process the high rate of information to judge my associated inputs very efficiently while on the bike. I could only surmise, that it had something to do with the recent VR binges I've been partaking in. It took me a good 90 minutes, before I could feel somewhat comfortable today.

----> I wonder if this is why some top real life drivers don't do VR? Because their fine motor skills might get affected similar to what I experienced today?

....Anyways, I love VR. I never thought I'd be a SIM-SNOB of any sort, but I think I'm now firmly in the camp of "No VR, No buy". It would have to take something really special for me to pursue a racing game that didn't offer VR support.

Also, I don't know why people are misrepresenting what @Scaff said in relations to his opinion concerning VR and GT7. If I was someone that didn't have a deep emotional connection to the Gran Turismo franchise, I could EASILY see how it wouldn't be worth the money to send $600 on a VR set for one game. Especially if I could scratch my VR Itch across several different titles in the PC universe. I'm embarrassed to say how much money I've spent this "Gran Turismo" year on equipment, but its all been worth it because I love the franchise. I can easily see how the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze to someone else. Just like I could give a fork' about what goes on in iRacing or Rfactor.

Last edited:

As far as I can see on the internets, Real Life drivers whom sim race, do so on Triples as opposed to VR. I've often wondered why? As I assumed that the likes of Verstappen and Grossjean (and their teams), could afford top level; or "above market" PC, motion rigs, and VR sets that emulate real life closely. Maybe they do.. I have no clue.

BUT!!!!.....

I was out practicing on my dirt bike today, and something with my vision felt off. I don't ride dirt bikes at anywhere near the stratosphere of the speeds they do in F1, but the rate in which I have to process information, is probably equivalent to F1. Like @Scaff mentioned a few pages ago; speed is relevant to FOV and for lack of better terms; width of the road. In my case, the "road" is 12-24" in width, and while traveling up to 40mph, I have to read terrain, figure out which rocks and bumps I can go over, and which rocks and bumps will throw me off the bike. And I have to do this while I rocket from turn to turn in the span of anywhere from 20-100'.

But I digress...
I don't play Gran Turismo but a few times a week, but I drive Fire Engines for a living, and ride dirt bikes 1-2 times a week. I haven't noticed a difference when commuting to/from work and while at work... But today something with my vision (in particular my depth perception) was off. I wasn't able to to process the high rate of information to judge my associated inputs very efficiently while on the bike. I could only surmise, that it had something to do with the recent VR binges I've been partaking in. It took me a good 90 minutes, before I could feel somewhat comfortable today.

----> I wonder if this is why some top real life drivers don't do VR? Because their fine motor skills might get affected similar to what I experienced today?

....Anyways, I love VR. I never thought I'd be a SIM-SNOB of any sort, but I think I'm now firmly in the camp of "No VR, No buy". It would have to take something really special for me to pursue a racing game that didn't offer VR support.

Also, I don't know why people are misrepresenting what @Scaff said in relations to his opinion concerning VR and GT7. If I was someone that didn't have a deep emotional connection to the Gran Turismo franchise, I could EASILY see how it wouldn't be worth the money to send $600 on a VR set for one game. Especially if I could scratch my VR Itch across several different titles in the PC universe. I'm embarrassed to say how much money I've spent this "Gran Turismo" year on equipment, but its all been worth it because I love the franchise. I can easily see how the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze to someone else. Just like I could give a fork' about what goes on in iRacing or Rfactor.
Interesting. Scary, even. Definitely concerning. But I’ve experienced no such symptoms since I’ve been using the VR.

I've been struggling with it also. The best experience I've had so far was taking a Ferrari 358 GT3. I don't know if it's because I'm really familiar with the car or because it's much lower and smaller side windows than other cars I tried, but I did hot laps at full pace without much issue. Still a bit of sour stomach, but much better. So maybe that might help you.

I haven't yet been able to get to the point of feeling totally okay yet though, and it makes me reluctant to try more. But honestly I haven't had a completely nausea-free experience in any game I've tried so far.

BUT!!!!.....

But I digress...

I think I'm right there with you on a couple levels buddy. First, to each their own. I love Scaff's Sim Racing channel and I too can totally see why he may not want to pour more money into GT7. For me, I love it. I've tried a handful of times to go back to how I used to race on my TV and hoodcam, I even tried cockpit view on my TV. I then tried the same in ACC on PC and I just can't get over the visual disconnect and, less connection to how the car is behaving on the road in both games now.

Whats worse, is now I want even more immersion, so I'm looking at finally getting a DOF Reality P3 motion sim. While in VR, I have a good sense of how the car is behaving, but now I feel a disconnect with my body sitting still in VR and it's driving me nuts for some reason (probably my OCD kicking in).

Jerome

I think I'm right there with you on a couple levels buddy. First, to each their own. I love Scaff's Sim Racing channel and I too can totally see why he may not want to pour more money into GT7. For me, I love it. I've tried a handful of times to go back to how I used to race on my TV and hoodcam, I even tried cockpit view on my TV. I then tried the same in ACC on PC and I just can't get over the visual disconnect and, less connection to how the car is behaving on the road in both games now.

Whats worse, is now I want even more immersion, so I'm looking at finally getting a DOF Reality P3 motion sim. While in VR, I have a good sense of how the car is behaving, but now I feel a disconnect with my body sitting still in VR and it's driving me nuts for some reason (probably my OCD kicking in).

Jerome

Every man has their price...

And my price for more immersion; is Gran Turismo on PC, with full compatibility. That alone would make me probably sell one of my bikes for a motion platform. Right now, PS5 and PSVR2 is good enough to keep me from taking the plunge into the PC realm. Of course that could change. But the current recipe of PS5-PSVR2-ease of play, is hard to overlook or down play.

More than anything, its GT's car list that keeps it as my BEY. That, and I've been playing the franchise since I was 14. What can I say, I'm nostalgic. I'm curious to see what the impending AC2 will bring to console.

It's a massive (in comparison to console) VR community for PC sim racing, with some happy to do both flat and VR (myself) and some pure VR.
FM8 is very unlikely, if MS we serious about it then FH5 would have had support. Codemasters took years (and were beaten by modders) to add support for F1, and while the Dirt Rally series has always had it, the mainstream Dirt titles haven't, so it 50/50 for the upcoming WRC23. With regard to Ian's latest venture, well that is anyone's guess, the Madenss engine remains one of the best engines for VR implementation, but PC3 was worse in that regard than the first two titles and AMS2 (out of Ian's hands) remains the best, so it's hard to say, and hell this is Mr Bell, so it might all end up being vapourware again.

At the ends of the day they two most likely factors for PSVR2 support are how easy is the middleware for implementation and what size the user base is.

It's funny how just a few words can create such a misunderstanding. @Mr Latte said "$ for $ is unrivaled by any platform" and @Scaff utterly disagreed because "for him" it wasn't. Value can only be measured by how much money you have and what you're willing to spend. I think we all can agree that the cost of PC gaming vs. PS is significant. If you're using a VR headset for multiple titles vs. one than yes that offers more value.

However, the PSVR2 also offers value for your average gamer. At this point in time it may not be worth it for most people at this price point, but there's no denying the value is there for what you're getting. I myself find it worth it just for GT7 alone and there are more VR games I plan to buy. I think mass acceptance of PSVR2 will probably come later this year when holiday season comes around. Perhaps the value will be there than as there will be a larger catalog of games.
Add in that I was purely talking about sim racing and the value drops even further for me, I've tried other genres on both PSVR (fully bought into that) and PCVR, but sim racing is the only one that I would invest for, and it's either £550 for 1 title or £430 for a near dozen titles, add in that GT doesn't (quite yet) cut it as a sim for me and it further strengthens the difference in value (for me) even when you add base hardware into it. I've not ruled out that changing in the future, but the PS5 would have to see a lot more racing titles support it for that to change vs a PCVR upgrade or even photographic gear (which is actually where the money I could have spent on PSVR2 went - a nice OM-D EM1 II).

Last edited:
My PC processor and graphics card is stronger than what is found in the PS5, yet I highly doubt it would be able to run GT7 VR. A PS5 GT7 and the headset will run you about $1100. A i7-12700 with an RTX 3060Ti will run you $1300. An RTX 3060Ti struggles to run larger scale VR games at 30fps while GT7 experiences 0 frame drip. Optimized hardware will always be better than developers trying to make every hardware work with their application. I've wasted probably 7 hours trying to get flight sim to work ok in VR, then after every update, the setting that I made become useless. The user friendliness of the PSVR is unmatched.

Bought yesterday the PSVR2 headset.

Spent the evening driving a myriad of races, from classic GTIs in Laguna Seca to Gr.1 at Road Atlanta or classic Gr.1 in Daytona.

I just can't play in 2D anymore. This experience is...mind-blowing.

Also, I've tried F1-21 in cinematic mode, and though it was not as immersive, I like it a lot more than on a good but regular screen.

I hope this hardware reaches a bigger user base. I think it totally deserves it!

Back