GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
yes I use his tunes and I've got that car so I will try it.

Would be interesting to see if you have got his tune as I have on the Mazda LM55 VGT to see if it's just an issue on that particular car on that particular circuit?
Oh, I’ll check it out

Hey guys, new member here! Been a long long time since I really went deep in on a GT game, but I bought a PSVR2 and thought what the heck, let's see what a racing game is like in VR. HOLY ****. it's really life altering type stuff as far as racing games are concerned. I tried playing GT7 on a flat screen and can't do it.

I immediately thought about what it would be like to play in VR with a racing wheel so I ordered a thrustmaster t248 which will be here Tuesday. I cannot wait. I'm expecting an incredible experience. Hopefully I won't be let down. Will report back once I am able to give it a try.

Hey guys, new member here! Been a long long time since I really went deep in on a GT game, but I bought a PSVR2 and thought what the heck, let's see what a racing game is like in VR. HOLY ****. it's really life altering type stuff as far as racing games are concerned. I tried playing GT7 on a flat screen and can't do it.

I immediately thought about what it would be like to play in VR with a racing wheel so I ordered a thrustmaster t248 which will be here Tuesday. I cannot wait. I'm expecting an incredible experience. Hopefully I won't be let down. Will report back once I am able to give it a try.
Watch out. For me, the PSVR 2 led to this in a matter of days. ;)

I'm faster with VR, for the last few days I've been Golding Circuit Experiences & License test that where left unfinished, VR just gives you a better spacial awareness, depth perception, with the wider FOV on the flat screen gives a faster sense of speed, but with VR the sense of speed is slower, closer to reality giving you a slighter edge on reaction times.

Went back to Deep Forest for the Circuit Experience where my fastest time in second sector was 3 seconds off with the Audi R8 which was a bit more slippery to handle compared to other GT3's, after a couple of tries I was within .200 of a second Golding it, after five attempts Golded it under a second.
Yep same here....for whatever reason I hadn't really done many circuit experiences. I think because they were just kind of hidden away in the menus. I didn't realize how much money you get from getting gold on those. Now with VR that's a pretty quick way to pad your account. Now if only I could get a GD invite for the Carerra GT!

Everything feels so much easier in VR! 😁
I just beat Sophy on expert 4 times in one hour time at Suzuka, whch is arguably the most difficult of the 4 races. No takedowns or else, 3 CRB out of the 4 races. Lost the CRB in the last one by having 4 tires out of the track at the spoon curve. And I finished the 3 other expert races even more easily while using clutch & shifter xD

Can't wait to see how fast the best 2D players will become thanks to VR! 😮

I don't think that it has anything to do with that. VR would make almost any player faster with a few practice thanks to the way better visibility and more natual overall feeling.

Fastest 2D youtubers like Super GT have been practicing flat driving for years, and still he is only 0.5 seconds slower after only a few days with VR! Imagine what it will be when he will be fully used to it and his level in a few years...!

------------------------------

I will be hosting the first "gtplanet racing kart series" today at GMT 13:00.
For those willing to participate, don't forget to add me to your PSN friendlist (ID: papiculo_64) and to bring your racing kart!
Search for friend lobbies and "gtplanet racing kart series #1".

It will be a 18 laps at Road Atlanta with qualifiers.
You can practice until then and you can participate both in VR or on flat screen.

If there are no other participants the race will be reported to next weekend.

Please let me know if you want to participate!
👍
I'm so jealous. I would love to have joined but we're away on vacation until tomorrow.

It's been hard enough to not be racing in VR these last few days, let alone missing out on a karting event😭

yes I use his tunes and I've got that car so I will try it.

Would be interesting to see if you have got his tune as I have on the Mazda LM55 VGT to see if it's just an issue on that particular car on that particular circuit?
So I tried out the LM55 VGT - what a great tune for this track once I figured out where to shift! (It's a bit different with 8 gears)

I enjoyed the LM55 more so than the Peugeot - better balance and responsiveness overall - really fun to drive. (This game is so much more enjoyable thanks to @praiano63 and his tunes!)

It was also very fun while I was cruising towards victory on the 9th/10th lap to look up at the stars that were appearing in the sky as night was approaching, and then to see the beautiful remnants of the sunset over the ocean after going around the bend at the beginning of lap 10. Reminded me of actual drives on Hwy. 1 going up the coast. I see a road trip in my near future!

To your question, I didn't have any tracking problems whatsoever. I will say that since getting PSVR2 I never have any tracking problems whatsoever, but I'm in a well-lit area. The ONE time I had tracking problems it was when I had moved my rig to another room so I could demo to a friend. We started losing light as the sun was going down, and that's when tracking problems occurred. Turning on the light fixed it. I think lighting is the #1 thing to check if there are tracking issues.

So I tried out the LM55 VGT - what a great tune for this track once I figured out where to shift! (It's a bit different with 8 gears)

I enjoyed the LM55 more so than the Peugeot - better balance and responsiveness overall - really fun to drive. (This game is so much more enjoyable thanks to @praiano63 and his tunes!)

It was also very fun while I was cruising towards victory on the 9th/10th lap to look up at the stars that were appearing in the sky as night was approaching, and then to see the beautiful remnants of the sunset over the ocean after going around the bend at the beginning of lap 10. Reminded me of actual drives on Hwy. 1 going up the coast. I see a road trip in my near future!

To your question, I didn't have any tracking problems whatsoever. I will say that since getting PSVR2 I never have any tracking problems whatsoever, but I'm in a well-lit area. The ONE time I had tracking problems it was when I had moved my rig to another room so I could demo to a friend. We started losing light as the sun was going down, and that's when tracking problems occurred. Turning on the light fixed it. I think lighting is the #1 thing to check if there are tracking issues.
man that was quick, thanks!

I see so I will set my Phillips hue light to a higher brightness see if that fixes it but I'm not worried now thanks to your testing👍👌

yeah the LM55 it's been added to my favourites thanks to his tunes and with eight gears it's relentless gear changes with pitching in the rig , LOL.

I'm new to GT coming from a PC so this is my first HW1 experience and it's fast becoming my favourite track, with obviously the classic Nürburgring Nordschleife implementation in this title.
in fact I think PSVR 2 added to my mastery it so quickly and my times in the sports time trials have come down as well as I'm judging the apex better in VR, or maybe it's the placebo effect who knows but in the meantime all I know is I'm having more fun with GT7 again just like super GT on his youtube channel driving down Le Mans in his latest video, Happy days!

once again many thanks✌️

I think the illest thing PD have done, are the reflections in the center of the Porsche 917LL steering wheel.

I used it for the WTC700 Le Mans. Since it has all the gauges bar fuel, the sun hit a the right spot and I look down at the center of the steering wheel. Just to the right of the small Porsche shield are the reflections of the driver and trees. :eek: I let out a slight chuckle in amazement. PD really are sick.

I'm sure it's probably already been said somewhere in this thread, but man the 30 min Gr.1 race on Road Atlanta was something else. I know that track like the back of my hand but the Mazda 787B is so low to the ground it took a few laps to find my rythym. I was having a hard time seeing over the hills, and that thing being so tail happy in the lower gears wasn't helping much. Pretty awesome feeling to tame it and pull out the victory.

man that was quick, thanks!

I see so I will set my Phillips hue light to a higher brightness see if that fixes it but I'm not worried now thanks to your testing👍👌

yeah the LM55 it's been added to my favourites thanks to his tunes and with eight gears it's relentless gear changes with pitching in the rig , LOL.

I'm new to GT coming from a PC so this is my first HW1 experience and it's fast becoming my favourite track, with obviously the classic Nürburgring Nordschleife implementation in this title.
in fact I think PSVR 2 added to my mastery it so quickly and my times in the sports time trials have come down as well as I'm judging the apex better in VR, or maybe it's the placebo effect who knows but in the meantime all I know is I'm having more fun with GT7 again just like super GT on his youtube channel driving down Le Mans in his latest video, Happy days!

once again many thanks✌️
Anytime. I was up on Saturday morning reading GTPlanet with my coffee, and GT7 was already on the agenda.

That's what I like about this forum. There's a great sense of community here, always has been. Lots of helpful people, and great conversations. @Jordan and team really do a great job. I was away for several years when the GT franchise went fairly dormant (never really cared for GT Sport), and I was doing racing on PC with PCars, AC/ACC, and iRacing. After finally getting a PS5 in November, I'm back with GT7, and it feels like coming home.

The one thing I was missing with GT7 up until recently was VR (was playing on PC with Quest 2 before - I even had a Rift at one point but it was really complicated to set up). In some ways it was a step backward, but the graphics on 4K OLED w/HDR are spectacular so it wasn't that big of a deal - just a trade off.

Someone else had a really good post that I read this morning about VR vs. flat screen which I totally agree with based on my experience.

You can train your brain to "understand" the physics and spatial relationships projected by a video game in 2D, and people can get very good at it through repetition and have.

When you move to VR, this is the "natural habitat" your brain is used to when driving/racing because it's basically a 3D experience. It takes a little while for your brain to "unlearn" the 2D training, but not too long because it's much more natural to what your brain has been accustomed to for all of your life.

There really is no comparison. If you really put things in perspective, all of the complaints about a slight loss in visual clarity vs a 4K OLED TV pale in comparison to the immersive experience VR brings to you IMHO. PSVR2 is a big leap over the prior technology (PSVR1 and Quest 2), and I think we can expect this space to continue to leapfrog for a while as we're still on the upslope of the innovation curve.

To your other point, I'm really loving the new Grand Valley / Hwy. 1 track also. I think it was PCars2 (might have been Assetto Corsa) that had a really long Hwy. 1 course which I also really enjoyed driving. The GT7 version is a closer replica of the real road, but the PCars one was longer and also lots of fun.

I'm sure it's probably already been said somewhere in this thread, but man the 30 min Gr.1 race on Road Atlanta was something else. I know that track like the back of my hand but the Mazda 787B is so low to the ground it took a few laps to find my rythym. I was having a hard time seeing over the hills, and that thing being so tail happy in the lower gears wasn't helping much. Pretty awesome feeling to tame it and pull out the victory.

Totally addicted to Gr.1 right now - a class I never cared for before VR.

EDIT: only the 90s cars of course.
I set up custom races and hand pick the cars so I don’t have to race against modern cars or VGT nonsense.

Last edited:
Something interesting I noticed for fellow glasses wearers. I am near-sighted, but I mainly just struggle with reading small text at a distance without my glasses (eg. all the tiny text on the UI in most modern games). I've been using PSVR2 with my glasses since launch, and it's been mostly great.

However, yesterday I decided to try GT7 without my glasses to see how it went. I figured that since most stuff in the distance is already a bit blurry, it might not make a huge difference. Turns out that assumption was correct for me. But as a bonus I found that not wearing my glasses had other benefits. I experienced a lot more general clarity in viewing stuff like the text on the car dashboard, significantly less chromatic aberration, and more clarity on menu text. For example, when using my glasses and looking at the "Hold your Controller before starting" prompt when booting up the PSVR, I always find that the middle and right side of the text is perfectly clear, but the left side "Hold" is a bit blurry on the far left. I no longer had this issue when not using my glasses. The text was entirely clear for a wider FOV.

It's a bit interesting, I wonder if this is caused by the shape of my glasses or just the fact that I'm looking through the PSVR through another lens first, creating issues caused by the additional refraction.

I tested the RE Village demo with this as well, but stuff in the distance in that game is already a bit more clear than stuff in the distance in GT7, so it was more of an issue since I could tell certain stuff was supposed to be clearer.

Anyways, I think I am going to order a pair of insert prescription lenses for my PSVR2, as I imagine that would solve this issue entirely. Just thought I'd share as it might help someone else too.

I'm so jealous. I would love to have joined but we're away on vacation until tomorrow.

It's been hard enough to not be racing in VR these last few days, let alone missing out on a karting event😭
Ahah! 😁
No problem mate, I'll host another karting race next week! We were 5 participants today, maybe a little more next week, so it might be even better! ^^
Road Atlanta was really fun for karting thought, especially with day/night cycle!
I'll try to set up a better one for nexr week!

(PS: I fell asleep while writing this, sorry for the late reply! XD )

EDIT: I'll post the race details here, so stay tuned:

Last edited:
The current Sport Mode time trial is a blast. You have access to all Gr. 3 cars at Catalunya no chicane. I'm having fun trying different Gr. 3 cars. I just tried the Alfa Romeo which before VR I wouldn't even have thought of ever touching and in only five laps got a 1:41.7.

There's a great mix of cars on the leaderboard so this is a great chance to try all the Gr.3 cars and have fun in VR while you're at it.

Last edited:
The current Sport Mode time trial is a blast. You have access to all Gr. 3 cars at Catalunya no chicane. I'm having fun trying different Gr. 3 cars. I just tried the Alfa Romeo which before VR I wouldn't even have thought of ever touching and in only five laps got a 1:41.7.

There's a great mix of cars on the leaderboard so this is a great chance to try all the Gr.3 cars and have fun in VR while you're at it.
Thanks. I may give this a whirl tomorrow.

I was wondering, anyone here using a shifter with VR? I'm noticing I get very disorientated because it feels like have a third arm when I hit a paddle to shift and the avatar moves his hand to move the gearshift.

Does it feel smooth etc? I'm considering getting a Fanatec Clubsport SQ

I was wondering, anyone here using a shifter with VR? I'm noticing I get very disorientated because it feels like have a third arm when I hit a paddle to shift and the avatar moves his hand to move the gearshift.

I have this exact concern... I think it could be remedied with some special GT VR driving gloves and use of the external cameras

I almost exclusively play with clutch & shifter except when I can't (sport mode, online time trial, or non-equipped cars in campaign) and even if it doesn't match what you see on screen and has an input lag, it feels smooth to me, and at least very enjoyable! Of course, it feels a little awkward when the shifter is on the opposite side, but I don't really pay attention since MT cars are a lot of fun to drive, way more than nowadays race cars equipped with sequential gearboxes if you ask me!

I have this exact concern... I think it could be remedied with some special GT VR driving gloves and use of the external cameras

It would require a very precise tracking and more compute load, and given that your shifter won't be in the same position as in the car you're driving (since the shifter position varies greatly depending on the car but your physical shifter position is fixed, not even talking of when the shifter is on the opposite side...), it would feel even more awkward. Maybe someday they will come with some solution, but I think that it's not for tomorrow.

Last edited:
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 + PSVR 2 Full Review: Gimmick or Game Changer?

The PlayStation VR2 is finally here, but for the cost, you may be wondering if it’s something you are going to use a few times and then set to the side, or is it actually a revolutionary device that will change the way you play Gran Turismo forever?

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I found there is an in game setting for the headset haptics under "Controller Settings" from the pause menu. By default it is set to "Collisions Only" but you can change it to "Collisions and Impacts". I wasn't able to test what the differences were however as I was trying to complete one of those awful drift missions.

I've never been that great racing online, now I'm starting to get used to racing in VR I've noticed I'm becoming faster. I just came second in a B-S Trial Mountain race. I found that I felt calmer racing in VR, people around me were making more mistakes. I ended up getting the fastest lap too.

Maybe it is something about Trial Mountain but playing it in VR really helps you nail the corners, almost every time.

Unfortunately I have an problem with my headset (it takes about 10-15mins to turn on) and need to return it, I hope I get a replacement in good time.

I've never been that great racing online, now I'm starting to get used to racing in VR I've noticed I'm becoming faster. I just came second in a B-S Trial Mountain race. I found that I felt calmer racing in VR, people around me were making more mistakes. I ended up getting the fastest lap too.

Maybe it is something about Trial Mountain but playing it in VR really helps you nail the corners, almost every time.

Unfortunately I have an problem with my headset (it takes about 10-15mins to turn on) and need to return it, I hope I get a replacement in good time.
Assuming you made sure the USB cable is plugged in securely at the headset side? If could wiggle loose a bit when extending the telescoping bit

Assuming you made sure the USB cable is plugged in securely at the headset side? If could wiggle loose a bit when extending the telescoping bit

Yep unfortunately that isn't the issue, I've checked. When I press the On button nothing happens and I get a red flashing light. I have to keep pressing it untill it eventually turns on. It's like the 'starter motor' is screwed. Sometimes it turns on, I see the PS logo and it conks out again, once I get it going it is fine but I don't think I want to put up with a problem which will probably get worse and worse.

Roof cam in VR feels a bit awkward since your in 3d and it feels like half your body is stuck in the car, quit a bit different than on a flat screen, a bit like sticking your body out the roof of a moving vehicle.

Back