GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,849 comments
Wow, appreciate the replies guys, looks like I’m back on the fence! Unfortunately no I didn’t read the thread, read it at first as I say when I almost brought it.

I may have to take the plunge

Merry Christmas guys
Make sure to read the guide Jordan posted.

This thread covers that and more.

You've likely heard most of us say once you race in VR it's nearly impossible to go back to a flat screen. That is one thing you have to consider because the only racing game it works with is Gran Turismo 7

If you are enjoying other racing games like ACC and f123 or PC2 then you'll have difficulty playing them without VR if you're playing them too close to a Gran Turismo session.

When I first started with VR and took off the headset because I wanted a break and tried to do a race with flat screen the track looked far away and very long and stretched out.. it's hard to imagine it without experiencing it but everybody who has a PS VR2 will understand what I'm saying.

It most certainly is like buying a brand new racing game because it is that different and that spectacular but keep in mind it's $600 and it can only be used on one racing game, at least right now.

Darn you for making me want to buy them now.

Have you ever used the Sony Pulse "can" headset? How do you compare it for sound?

Are you able to hear your surroundings as well
I had the steel series 7p before. I think it probably just sounds louder since you get a closer connection to your ear. I do think it sounds better. But it probably won’t blow you away.

You can’t really hear your surroundings as it seals your ear up and it doesn’t have a transparency mode. However it does have dual connectivity so you can connect to your phone while racing. Nice to get my home security alerts while racing. For some reason I get a little paranoid in VR. 😆

The price is sort of high. But I have no regrets. I always hated strapping a big headset of the the vr set.

So what’s the verdict on VR?
If GT7 was the only game released for PSVR2, I'd still feel that my purchase was justified. It's a transformative experience if your purpose is to enjoy the vehicles and the act of racing.

Side rant: I hear people cry about being slower in VR. Who gives a darn if you're .10 slower in VR with your C rated DR? LOL

Last edited:
Make sure to read the guide Jordan posted.

This thread covers that and more.
THIS. A BILLION LIKES FOR THIS. Helped me avoid "VR Sickness."
If GT7 was the only game released for PSVR2, I'd still feel that my purchase was justified. It's a transformative experience if your purpose to enjoy the vehicles and act of racing.
It's the only game I own for VR and was worth every single penny for me.
Side rant: I hear people cry about being slower in VR. Who gives a darn if you're .10 slower in VR with your C rated DR? LOL
Speak for yourself! I have better control now but there is an adjustment period to be sure!

You've likely heard most of us say once you race in VR it's nearly impossible to go back to a flat screen. That is one thing you have to consider because the only racing game it works with is Gran Turismo 7

If you are enjoying other racing games like ACC and f123 or PC2 then you'll have difficulty playing them without VR if you're playing them too close to a Gran Turismo session.

When I first started with VR and took off the headset because I wanted a break and tried to do a race with flat screen the track looked far away and very long and stretched out.. it's hard to imagine it without experiencing it but everybody who has a PS VR2 will understand what I'm saying.

It most certainly is like buying a brand new racing game because it is that different and that spectacular but keep in mind it's $600 and it can only be used on one racing game, at least right now.
Yeah I was playing acc more than gt7 by the time vr2 arrived.

I bought all tge new acc packs but never used them as vr landed. Tried acc and later motorfest. Turned them off within minutes.

No turning back once you've experienced racing in vr.... so good, absolute game changer... elevates enjoyment/immersivess 10 fold imo.

Out of this world good once adapted abd immersed.

Cockpit in vr is nothing like on tv @brockie . I used bumper despite trying/wanting to use cockpit. Visibility, judging turns, depth etc totally different in vr. Don't let cockpit only put you off mate. You won't want to use amother view.

Last edited:
B80
Cockpit in vr is nothing like on tv @brockie . I used bumper despite trying/wanting to use cockpit. Visibility, judging turns, depth etc totally different in vr. Don't let cockpit only put you off mate. You won't want to use amother view.
Best educational post right here for anyone on the fence! 👏👏👏

You make the best point that we forget to mention. Many people don't like the cockpit view in GT7 so they might be discouraged from getting a PS VR2 because they know that the view is cockpit.

But, it is such a different version of cockpit it is impossible to describe it to someone who hasn't seen it. I can only imagine it's what a real race car driver would experience because the visibility is phenomenal.

It's not just seeing better straight ahead it's seeing everything to the left and to the right and way before you get there.

I mean, you only need to drive the Gr.4 M4 and look to the right and down to the floor and again back to the steering wheel and gauges and drop your eyes to watch the cord moving around.
I still hold to my thoughts on how the 3D effect of everything, reminds me of the exhibits at The Museum of Natural History(Manhattan). It’s fake, but it’s real, but it’s fake. Amazes me.

The price is sort of high. But I have no regrets. I always hated strapping a big headset of the the vr set.
Why didn’t you just use the earbuds that come with psvr2, then? I have those Steel Series cans as well but started using the earbuds and they’re pretty fine to me.

If GT7 was the only game released for PSVR2, I'd still feel that my purchase was justified. It's a transformative experience if your purpose is to enjoy the vehicles and the act of racing.

I'm faster in VR than in 2D. Something like two seconds faster at Le Mans.

I dip in and out of GT7 in VR but every time I play it astonishes me. I recently purchased the Audi R18 2011 LMP and had a quick race at Le Mans at sunset against the Sophy AI.

I’ve raced this car many times before on flat screens but I never noticed before that there is a small circular mirror on the right of the cockpit. Throughout the whole race I had the headlights of the opposition looming in this little mirror. It was so perfectly positioned that a slight glance to my right allowed me to keep an eye on my opponents. It gave the whole experience another level of immersion which I’d never expected.

I don’t tend to play GT in the same way as I used to, grinding the same races to earn credits over and over, I play it for an experience which you can’t get any other way, which is to feel as if you are inside a real racing car, on a real track. Flat screen racing just doesn’t cut it anymore.

Last edited:
You've likely heard most of us say once you race in VR it's nearly impossible to go back to a flat screen.
I’m officially at 100% VR use in GT7. I would occasionally play in flat mode for the first handful of months. I don’t even consider it anymore.

My son grinds Spa and Le Mans often. We take turns and switch off during the pit stops. Even for that, we just swap the VR headset between each other. It’s worth playing in VR, even for grinding credits.

When I first tried GT7 in VR, it is the closest I have ever come to replicating the sheer joy and magic of Christmas '98 when I unwrapped Ocarina of Time as a 10 year old. It's not easy to replicate that feeling as a 35 year old, that's how good VR is.

I wasn't blown away first time. Pethaps as hadn't slept well night before vr2 arrived.

Can recall 2 weeks or so in, thinking this is good... very, very good.

Literally only played gt7 then everyday for at least 6 months or so after.

Bought other vr games but was only interested in gt7.

Took my desert island game... football manager... to break that pure gt7 run of every day for hours. Never gets boring, hot lapping, racing different cars, tunes etc. Always feels like more I want to do at the end of a session. Never had that before... certainly not with gt7 on flat screen.

Played football manager every year since in what was championship manager 92, back in the amiga days.

I'd be quire happy giving up work, just playing those 2 games till death given the chance. Literally calked off relationships, as football manager more appealing. One of which I then rekindled months later... before getting married for 10 years or so (before getting divorced). Priorities right... :D

Football manager isn't a normal game, it's an utter monster... institution in its own right, if you like football and stats/strategy... league of it's own :)

Last edited:
Why didn’t you just use the earbuds that come with psvr2, then? I have those Steel Series cans as well but started using the earbuds and they’re pretty fine to me.
I never tried those I should dig them out and see how they compare sound wise.

However I love being able to have dual connection so I can hear audio from my phone and the game. I’m in a league where they have announcers so it’s nice to listen to them as I race and get alerts to the action ahead.

The headset, obviously, makes a big difference to just clicking on a car to buy it. Feels like proper car shopping. Just need a mode where we can test drive it at a generic track. Say, a home country circuit, where the car was originally made.

Anyway, walking around, “kneeling” down and sitting behind the wheel of the Corvette(C1) ‘58, makes me appreciate all the details of this car.

Finally i can going back to flat screen after playing in VR, I got tired faster when playing in VR, maybe because eye strain for using VR
i dont know how, but the feeling on flat screen is coming back now, and i can go VR & flat screen back and forth..
Do you wear or need glasses? If so, I can highly recommend buying some prescription lens inserts for your headset. In the VR world, your eyes need to focus on a set distance of about 2 metres, but if your brain is used to focusing differently on the road ahead than, say, on the dash dials - which is the case for everyone - your brain will try and unnecessarily adjust your focus when you look at the dash, even though your focus is correctly (for VR) locked on 2m.

In short, the older you are and the more used to driving a real car that you are, the longer it is likely to take your brain to stop refocusing your eyes when they don’t need refocusing. The end result of this is that almost everyone reports that their view of the VR world seems to get sharper and clearer after a while - often put down to some miraculous undocumented PS5VR2 update that never happened. But in fact, it’s just your brain stopping refocusing your eyes when they don’t need refocusing.

Disclaimer: I have worked all of the above out for myself, from experience and the knowledge of the fixed-focus nature of VR, so I could be talking complete rubbish here 🤪

Last edited:
The headset, obviously, makes a big difference to just clicking on a car to buy it. Feels like proper car shopping. Just need a mode where we can test drive it at a generic track. Say, a home country circuit, where the car was originally made.

Anyway, walking around, “kneeling” down and sitting behind the wheel of the Corvette(C1) ‘58, makes me appreciate all the details of this car.
Oh they'll never allow us to test drive them. We'd save too much money that way by avoiding poor purchases lol.

Finally i can going back to flat screen after playing in VR, I got tired faster when playing in VR, maybe because eye strain for using VR
i dont know how, but the feeling on flat screen is coming back now, and i can go VR & flat screen back and forth..
Before anyone jumps to conclusions can we establish first that you have two eyes?

Saying this has pushed me into deep wells of plural.
If I tell an optician I have eye strain will they ask how the other one is?
When we do VR are we actually driving two cars simulataneosly?
No wonder its tiring!

My neighbour came round for drinks and the subject of sim-racing came up. "Do you want to have a go in 3D - it’s called VR and it’s really lifelike?" says I. So off he goes driving some road car or other round Tokyo, but he was totally unimpressed. I couldn’t understand why he wasn’t shouting "Wow" like other friends who have had a go in my rig …until he asked if it made any difference that he was blind in one eye 🙄

My neighbour came round for drinks and the subject of sim-racing came up. "Do you want to have a go in 3D - it’s called VR and it’s really lifelike?" says I. So off he goes driving some road car or other round Tokyo, but he was totally unimpressed. I couldn’t understand why he wasn’t shouting "Wow" like other friends who have had a go in my rig …until he asked if it made any difference that he was blind in one eye 🙄
He must have disliked Avatar very quickly indeed.

I wonder if a curved single lens on VR is better at light projection than a distant flat TV screen for creating realistic visuals.

Do you wear or need glasses? If so, I can highly recommend buying some prescription lens inserts for your headset.
I can vouch for this. I wear glasses when driving and initially used my PSVR2 with said eyewear. Then I got lenses for my Rx (simple single focal length) and that really was a great purchase for The Revengel.
In short, the older you are and the more used to driving a real car that you are, the longer it is likely to take your brain to stop refocusing your eyes when they don’t need refocusing.
This stands to reason and may explain why I can now do multiple hour stints in Gran Turismo 7 without any nausea or the like.

My brother and niece tried out PSVR2 in Kayak and GT7. They both liked it a lot and were blown away. My Bro started getting a little woozy after a while on both games but my niece had no problems, she loved it. They liked both experiences but they really liked GT7 with the sim rig, wheel, and bass shakers and everything. It was a fun time!

BWX
My brother and niece tried out PSVR2 in Kayak and GT7. They both liked it a lot and were blown away. My Bro started getting a little woozy after a while on both games but my niece had no problems, she loved it. They liked both experiences but they really liked GT7 with the sim rig, wheel, and bass shakers and everything. It was a fun time!

Perfect game to start them on

Just here to chime in and say I was always someone who understood why people would use Cockpit view in racing games, but I always preferred Chase Cam. VR changed my life and now every other viewpoint is vastly inferior compared to the VR Cockpit view IMO.

Another aspect of my VR experience that enhances it so much that I cannot live without, is my audio and haptic setup. I have the Woojer Vest 3 which I use wired with some Moon Chu IEM earbuds. The Woojer has a built-in headphone amp which has the earbuds sounding as good as a $300 pair of over-the-ear studio headphones. The vest provides haptic feedback for my entire core that allows me to feel each engine in a way that cannot be described. You just have to experience it yourself. Unbelievable.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am in the percentage of humans that are highly sensitive to motion sickness. I never really played many FPS games because of it. But I have zero issues with GT7 and can play for 8 hours straight if I want to. I learned so many things about motion sickness because of VR. I've watched and read everything that exists on the subject and am happy to answer any questions or help anyone still experiencing problems.

Last edited:
Back