GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
After previously stating that I would not be getting PSVR 2, I finally gave in and preordered it from PS Direct.

One thing I'm really curious about is whether it'll accurately convey gradients on the track. I still remember how flustered I was during my first ever lap on the real-world Nordschleife. I joined the track at Döttinger Höhe and the view of the track up ahead immediately gave me goosebumps. No GT game had ever given me an accurate impression of just how steep that incline towards Antoniusbuche is. The whole thing was such a daunting experience that I spent pretty much the entire lap indicating right and waving everyone by, despite being in an M6. I really hope that they've nailed as much of that feel as possible in VR.

On a different note, is it really true that you can't buy those Sense controller's separately? If yes, you better take real good care of the ones your VR pack comes with :)
No game really captures how Steep the NRing is. Last november I drove on that public road that runs next to the straight leading up to Antoniusbuche. My thoughts: "Holy **** that incline is Steep, you have to have a big set of Balls to do that at high speed"

My Hotel was at Breitscheid. (Adenau) That decline leading up to the corner is also Intimidating.

Last edited:
i1svENIVZsJnIz.jpg

Drivers reflection in rear view mirror? o_O

There is a point if the battery life is as bad as the normal Sony controllers.
Are Dualsense's battery that bad, though? I always felt that they had way more battery than the PS4 controllers, heck, even when I keep playing for hours i don't have to look for the USB-C cable to charge it.
i1svENIVZsJnIz.jpg

Drivers reflection in rear view mirror? o_O
Jaguar XJ13 is one of the few, if not the only car that has that kind of reflections in its rear view mirror.

Last edited:
There is a point if the battery life is as bad as the normal Sony controllers.
If you get the official charger, there will be more than enough charge placing them in the dock, when moving between games, breaks etc.

I do the same with my DualSense controller, it charges far quicker than USB.

If you get the official charger, there will be more than enough charge placing them in the dock, when moving between games, breaks etc.

I do the same with my DualSense controller, it charges far quicker than USB.
Also ditch the USB-A to USB-C cable provided and buy a decent USB-C to USB-C cable (I use the anker one for iPad) and it charges a lot faster

Are Dualsense's battery that bad, though? I always felt that they had way more battery than the PS4 controllers, heck, even when I keep playing for hours i don't have to look for the USB-C cable to charge it.

Jaguar XJ220 is one of the few, if not the only car that has that kind of reflections in its rear view mirror.
I'm quite sure I've seen it in other cars than the XJ13, but can't remember which one(s).

View attachment 1230833View attachment 1230834
After using VR showroom thoroughly in GT sport and now looking at those screenshots, I can tell you that those new VR showrooms will be some of the biggest blasts you never had in video games, period.
Anyone else playing the game, "Where are the operator's eyes looking?" by trying to find the best looking part of the picture? :lol:

Last edited:
Anyone else playing the game, "Where are the operator's eyes looking?" by trying to find the best looking part of the picture? :lol:
I'm wondering if eye tracking is utilised for camera movement in the showroom. So you don't actually need to turn your head to look at a different area, just your eyes.

View attachment 1230833View attachment 1230834
After using VR showroom thoroughly in GT sport and now looking at those screenshots, I can tell you that those new VR showrooms will be some of the biggest blasts you never had in video games, period.

Wow. This might be enough to actually inspire me to buckle down and get some of those high-dollar legends cars.

If anything, VR will spring new life into the game and encourage me to step away from custom races for a bit, and hit some of the high $$$ grind events again

Has anyone heard what happens if you roll your car? I have tuned my Abrath 595 so it goes 210mph but it is possible to make it roll all over the place, it might be insane in VR! I wonder if you get 'pulled' out of cockpit view into chase view briefly during crashes?

Has anyone heard what happens if you roll your car? I have tuned my Abrath 595 so it goes 210mph but it is possible to make it roll all over the place, it might be insane in VR! I wonder if you get 'pulled' out of cockpit view into chase view briefly during crashes?

I'd imagine you don't. It's not as jarring as you are imagining.

Although why you'd worry about being upside down in any camera view....;)

After previously stating that I would not be getting PSVR 2, I finally gave in and preordered it from PS Direct.

One thing I'm really curious about is whether it'll accurately convey gradients on the track. I still remember how flustered I was during my first ever lap on the real-world Nordschleife. I joined the track at Döttinger Höhe and the view of the track up ahead immediately gave me goosebumps. No GT game had ever given me an accurate impression of just how steep that incline towards Antoniusbuche is. The whole thing was such a daunting experience that I spent pretty much the entire lap indicating right and waving everyone by, despite being in an M6. I really hope that they've nailed as much of that feel as possible in VR.

On a different note, is it really true that you can't buy those Sense controllers separately? If yes, you better take real good care of the ones your VR pack comes with :)
Yes it will. I have the previous VR headset and on GTS the dips and rises are there.

Edit. If you are in cockpit view, you can set the wobble type to 2. That will give you a taste of what VR will bring, except the 3D.

Last edited:
You can use simhub/telemetry with GT 7. Feels so much better of course.
How loud are the buttkickers for gt7? I have downstairs neighbours who complained about my subwoofer so I had to get rid of it. Would they be able to hear it through carpet?

For those concerned about glasses and PSVR2. Which was one more nail.

Ya'll ever notice when you're young, like 14y/o, time drags its butt? As you get older it seems to speed up. When you hit 40 it seems you can turn around twice, blink your eyes and you're 60.

This February it seems I've jumped back to the 14y/o time speed sense. The next 2 weeks seem so far away. If that thing ain't delivered on the 22nd, that week, and every day in it, will utterly crawl by, I expect. Until it's been delivered anyway. Hopefully, I don't have a coronary with all this anticipation.
Yeah, I can relate. I'm 62, first got into simracing aged 59, via GT Sport. In that time seen huge technology leaps. Just wow.

The last two weeks, and the next week have been/are going so sloooooooooowwwwwww.

You are probably right. In that case I might just restart the game under a new user name.
I've got a new PSN account ready to go :-)

@Jordan Don't remember in your review vid if it showed or not. Can the regular PS5 controllers be used instead of/alongside the VR2 controller set?

@Jordan Don't remember in your review vid if it showed or not. Can the regular PS5 controllers be used instead of/alongside the VR2 controller set?
Not sure if you can use it alongside sense controllers, might be tricky and not very useful, but I'm quite sure that Dualsense is the default option if you want to play GT7 with controller.

Re cockpit view vs. bumpercam... Overall vision, forward, to the sides so you can see apexes better, and rearview mirror are all better and honestly more realistic in this sense; Cockpit view seems to give me very limited view, as if I'm looking out of a bunker. Much more limiting than real life. When I'm driving on track in real life, I don't see the A-pillar. I don't see the roofline. I don't see the hood. The spatial awareness is such that I am so focused on the world outside of the car, not inside, that the mind just kind of makes that stuff disappear. Spatial awareness is what is lacking in flat screen simulation vs. real life, so bumpercam works best for me, but I can see where cockpit view works for others. With the increased spatial awareness that PSV2 will obviously bring, I'm expecting I'll adjust to the cockpit view just fine.
The flipside is that the other views are way too high and let you see much better than in real life, making for an equally unrealistic driving experience. That’s why I years ago switched to cockpit view full time and rarely deviate, in any driving game/sim.

Speed numbers are basically irrelevant once you get used to how the car handles at a given track. I find that once I get used to the combo, I can basically just focus on my marks without having to check my instrument cluster other than to have a look at my fuel level. As for the gear, you can simply count them in your head as you shift. And if you forget what gear you're in, try upshifting to what you think is the top gear next time you get to a long straight, and then upshift again. If the second upshift doesn't go through, you'll know you're already in top gear and can use that to recalibrate the gear indicator in your head.
In my experience with VR on ACC (Quest 2), many of the cars have the gears on the HUD or instrument panel of the car which is replicated in VR, since you're in cockpit mode. I expect this to be the same with PSVR2.
Re cockpit view vs. bumpercam... Overall vision, forward, to the sides so you can see apexes better, and rearview mirror are all better and honestly more realistic in this sense; Cockpit view seems to give me very limited view, as if I'm looking out of a bunker. Much more limiting than real life. When I'm driving on track in real life, I don't see the A-pillar. I don't see the roofline. I don't see the hood. The spatial awareness is such that I am so focused on the world outside of the car, not inside, that the mind just kind of makes that stuff disappear. Spatial awareness is what is lacking in flat screen simulation vs. real life, so bumpercam works best for me, but I can see where cockpit view works for others. With the increased spatial awareness that PSV2 will obviously bring, I'm expecting I'll adjust to the cockpit view just fine.
This was my exact experience. I never liked cockpit mode on the TV because too much was getting chopped off. The experience with VR is significantly different and feels as natural as you would expect it. You should be able to drive better eventually because the sight lines are closer to what you'd get IRL. But expect to be slower for a little while, as your brain needs to completely adapt to different inputs than you've been giving it before with the game.

But expect to be slower for a little while, as your brain needs to completely adapt to different inputs than you've been giving it before with the game.
I’m quite interested to see how this goes. I expect to quickly be as quick if not quicker due to being able to see through and judge corners better. I guess I can imagine it taking a bit of acclimation as far as turn in points and the difference in image processing my brain will have to do but otherwise we should all be quicker in VR.

Back