GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
I'm wondering if eye tracking is utilised for camera movement in the showroom. So you don't actually need to turn your head to look at a different area, just your eyes.
I think the eye tracking is just for foveated rendering, where the processing power is focused on where your looking and things around it are generated at a lower resolution.

I think the movement will be based around head movement, thanks to the physical head tracking.

Last edited:
How loud are the buttkickers for gt7? I have downstairs neighbours who complained about my subwoofer so I had to get rid of it. Would they be able to hear it through carpet?
Depends on a lot of things. I have a gamer plus installed on my p1-x rig which is pretty heavy, cant really hear the buttkicker. Had complaints about my game sound being to loud, but nothing about rumbling or vibrations.

I’m quite interested to see how this goes. I expect to quickly be as quick if not quicker due to being able to see through and judge corners better. I guess I can imagine it taking a bit of acclimation as far as turn in points and the difference in image processing my brain will have to do but otherwise we should all be quicker in VR.
If you're anything like me, you will be faster in VR. I'm quick, but inconsistent in racing video games. In real life, my lap times are much more competitive because of the 'feel' required to handle the car. When you start adding in elements of realism, the impression of what a car should be doing matters more than static, memorized inputs which seem to define many eSports competitors. We're still a ways away from the next step of immersion which would be accurate g-forces, but VR like this is a big leap in the right direction.

Disclaimer: this post is entirely conjecture. A fellow sim racer buddy of mine is faster than me online, and was honestly terrible on the track in real life, most likely due to fear of injury and/or cost of crashing. Once damage is tied to our bank accounts is when we'll see the true connection to real racing - whose pockets are deepest 😅, and who has less fear.

All I know is that I'm just really excited for next Wednesday. 9 days.

If you're anything like me, you will be faster in VR. I'm quick, but inconsistent in racing video games. In real life, my lap times are much more competitive because of the 'feel' required to handle the car. When you start adding in elements of realism, the impression of what a car should be doing matters more than static, memorized inputs which seem to define many eSports competitors. We're still a ways away from the next step of immersion which would be accurate g-forces, but VR like this is a big leap in the right direction.

Disclaimer: this post is entirely conjecture. A fellow sim racer buddy of mine is faster than me online, and was honestly terrible on the track in real life, most likely due to fear of injury and/or cost of crashing. Once damage is tied to our bank accounts is when we'll see the true connection to real racing - whose pockets are deepest 😅, and who has less fear.

I was faster in Vr on gt sport, I just found it easier to judge everything but some have said they were slower so sounds like it will differ for each but I can't wait. Just had the email to confirm billing and shipping too!!!

Wow. This might be enough to actually inspire me to buckle down and get some of those high-dollar legends cars.
Who wouldn't want to have the biggest possible museum accessible from his living room and being able to sit in all those legends? 😁

Honestly, not only discovering them in the VR showroom, but driving all those cars you most likely never could approach irl, and like you were actually sitting in them, is one of the best part of VR, especially with this awesome level of detail and unique physics of all those cars.

I took way more pleasure driving them in VR than the Gr.3/4 cars which surely drive like heaven but kind of all feel and look the same with those bare interiors which are not very impressive in comparison to the gorgeous dashboards and cockpits of the road cars.

I have all of the legend cars, road cars, and every single pre-2000's race cars as well, buying my favorite ones in multiple copies. I spent a huge amount of time searching for the best looking liveries and installing them, just thinking about using them in VR races and VR showroom, way before the VR mode was even announced.

I now have something like 640 cars maybe 500 of them with custom liveries, when I still miss around 80 VGTs and Gr.3/4 cars 😅 (you can borrow them in sport mode anyway)
If you are in cockpit view, you can set the wobble type to 2. That will give you a taste of what VR will bring, except the 3D.
It's really different thought. Driving some fast cars with wobble 2 is really difficult and you feel like not having control of the car due to those unnatural head movements that are not induced by the player. In VR it just feels perfect!
They showed only 5 of the 12 VR Showrooms.
I'm realy curious, what the other 7 will be!
View attachment 1230905
I wonder if we will get new ones with later updates, like those new scapes we get regularly.
It would be great ^^
The experience with VR is significantly different and feels as natural as you would expect it. You should be able to drive better eventually because the sight lines are closer to what you'd get IRL. But expect to be slower for a little while, as your brain needs to completely adapt to different inputs than you've been giving it before with the game.
Except for the sense of danger you can feel while driving in VR, I think that the slowdown you experience at first is mostly due to the fact that the stereoscopic 3D and 360° view feel so amazing that you just want to look around everywhere and cannot focus on the road 😅

But yes, just being able to focus on the apex and corner exits is a huge improvement over flat screen mode and I genuinely think that VR can make you faster and a better driver. Players using hood cam in sport mode tend to be fast but provoke a lot of accidents as well because they can only focus on what's in front of them without using the rear view button. In VR, you're fully aware of your surroundings, front, rear and sides, and I'm quite sure that people playing in VR will be the cleanest drivers possible in sport mode.

Last edited:
I took way more pleasure driving them in VR than the Gr.3/4 cars which surely drive like butter but kind of all feel and look the same with those bare interiors which are not very impressive in comparison to the gorgeous dashboards and seats of the road cars.

I bought all of the legend cars, and my favorite ones in multiple copies. I spent a huge amount of time searching for the best looking liveries and installing them, just thinking about using them in VR races and VR showroom, way before the VR mode was even announced.

I now have something like 640 cars maybe 500 of them with custom liveries, when I still miss around 80 VGTs and Gr.3/4 cars 😅 (you can borrow them in sport mode anyway)
I have similar habbit :D But buying multiple race cars, i love those full of equipment bare interiors, and having multiple race cars with different liveries help me with creating very immersive and exciting racing in custom race mode.
I can't wait to make my WEC series on VR <3

I have similar habbit :D But buying multiple race cars, i love those full of equipment bare interiors, and having multiple race cars with different liveries help me with creating very immersive and exciting racing in custom race mode.
I can't wait to make my WEC series on VR <3
Bought most of the Gr.4 already just to install custom liveries 😁 Next are the Gr.3!

EDIT: didn't read well I thought you were speaking of old GT500 like the Tom's Supra and Skyline GT-R! It would be great if they added all the pre-2000 GT300 and GT500 cars with manual transmission. There used to be many more of them in previous entries of the series, and they were great! I'd love if they could bring back cars like the GTO and FTO LM editions as well :3

Last edited:
EDIT: didn't read well I thought you were speaking of old GT500 like the Tom's Supra and Skyline GT-R! It would be great if they added all the pre-2000 GT300 and GT500 cars with manual transmission. There used to be many more of them in previous entries of the series, and they were great! I'd love if they could bring back cars like the GTO and FTO LM editions as well :3
Only NSX left. Yes I also plan this, and i hope Old GT1's will be added too, but unfortunately those are very expensive and I need much more credits to buy multiple variants of those :)

Only NSX left. Yes I also plan this, and i hope Old GT1's will be added too, but unfortunately those are very expensive and I need much more credits to buy multiple variants of those :)
Ahah! 😁 They're expensive for sure, but I have all of the old group C cars in 2 copies, except for the 787B that I have in 3 copies 😂 Love those cars so much! Can't get bored of driving them around the Spa 1h race without assist, no ABS, no HUD and with clutch/shifter. It's a blast!! And will hopefully be a whole new experience in VR. The dynamic weather and time flow are some of the things I'm the most excited about with this VR upgrade, it will look awesome!

Last edited:
Ahah! 😁 They're expensive for sure, but I have all of the old group C cars in 2 copies, except for the 787B that I ave in 3 copies 😂 Love those cars so much! Can't get bored of driving them around the Spa 1h race without assist, no ABS, no HUD and with clutch/shifter. It's a blast!! And will hopefully be a whole new experience in VR. The dynamic weather and time flow are some of the things I'm the most excited about with ths VR upgrade, it will look awesome!
Group C collection is also ready :D I have all duplicates with different liveries. Daytona Group C race will be one of the first on VR to be honest :D

I have a lot of real life experience and continue to do so. I've been playing these games--even the most hardcore "sims" are games with flaws--for decades. I'm quick, but nowhere near the pro esports gamers. I've often had the same idea you put forward in a roundabout way: I sometimes think I hurt my game lap times because I try to drive realistically, and that often doesn't really extract the best times out of the games/sims. That said, there is still a ton of value from the games as far as working on your real-world driving, and they've obviously reached a point where they are REALLY good.
I don't expect GT7 in VR (or any other driving game that adds VR) to magically change any of the true nature of it not being real, but I do expect it's probably going to make me feel more in tune with what's going on--which in turn will make it seem more real. I play these things because I don't have a racetrack at my house and all the budget that goes along with driving/racing all the time in real life. The value I get from it is the rhythm, the visualization, the thinking that goes into it, etc. VR can only improve that if it works properly, as all the early reviews say it does here. That's why I spent the money on it. I hope I'm not disappointed, but all signs point to that not being the case.

Last edited:
I sometimes think I hurt my game lap times because I try to drive realistically, and that often doesn't really extract the best times out of the games/sims.
Makes me think of those players trying to overtake in the 3rd corner of Willow Springs or other improbable spots, often ending up in pushing the other car out of the road. Who would do that in real life?...

I think the eye tracking is just for foveated rendering, where the processing power is focused on where your looking and things around it are generated at a lower resolution.

I think the movement will be based around head movement, thanks to the physical head tracking.
I'm not sure how PD are implementing it, but eye-tracking is a data stream devs can use as they wish. In the Digital Foundry dev interview posted earlier, they use eye-tracking to enhance movement, clime ledges etc. Rather than pointing where you want to go with the controllers. In one upcoming horror game the enemies move closer everytime you blink!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how PD are implementing it, but eye-tracking is a data stream devs can use as they wish. In the Digital Foundry dev interview posted earlier, they use eye-tracking to enhance movement, clime ledges etc. Rather than pointing where you want to go with the controllers. In one upcoming horror game the enemies move closer everytime you blink!
That's why I'm really excited with Song in the Smoke. Not only it had really good reviews and player feedbacks despite all the limitations of the PSVR1 and PS moves, but it seems to exploit eye tracking at best.

Sure it doesn't look as neat as GT7, Horizon or RE8, but the controls seem really smooth and I don't think that many VR games give that much freedom to the player. You can go everywhere you want on this huge map, running, jumping, climbing, swimming, fighting, crafting, and everything seems so smooth and natural.

This interview and live gameplay hyped me as hell, and I can't wait to try it out!

EDIT: for those who missed it, it's probably one of the most interesting interview you can find about PSVR2!

Last edited:
You should be able to drive better eventually because the sight lines are closer to what you'd get IRL. But expect to be slower for a little while, as your brain needs to completely adapt to different inputs than you've been giving it before with the game.
When I start worrying about my times, I plan on starting on tracks that I know the braking markers by heart, and I have a general idea what my times are on flat screen. I figure as long as I am hitting my braking marks, and hit my apex's, I should be fairly close to my flat screen times using bumper cam. I look forward to training myself to learn a closer to real life form of racing. Bumper cam in my opinion is cheating in a real sim racer. I just can't stand cockpit view because it's so fixed. VR changes everything. Time is going soooooo slow rn 🤣😂🤣😂

When I start worrying about my times, I plan on starting on tracks that I know the braking markers by heart, and I have a general idea what my times are on flat screen. I figure as long as I am hitting my braking marks, and hit my apex's, I should be fairly close to my flat screen times using bumper cam. I look forward to training myself to learn a closer to real life form of racing. Bumper cam in my opinion is cheating in a real sim racer. I just can't stand cockpit view because it's so fixed. VR changes everything. Time is going soooooo slow rn 🤣😂🤣😂
Well this is the thing.... I've always regretted the fact that I play in bumper cam because it really does suck all the immersion out of playing the game versus cockpit view. But I'm way faster in that view.

Now with VR it should be best of both worlds!

My approach next week to PSVR2 is to max out my limits on daily race C prior to its arrival. Then see how I do with PSVR2. I really need to know if I'm quicker with VR or if it's back to bumper cam view.

Don't think I would use the unit if I'm a couple tenths a lap slower.

Yes it will. I have the previous VR headset and on GTS the dips and rises are there.

Edit. If you are in cockpit view, you can set the wobble type to 2. That will give you a taste of what VR will bring, except the 3D.
It's a bit of a shame that PD is (seemingly) still sticking to the fixed camera position. They should keep it as the default as it'll be more comfortable for more people but I'd love if they offered you the choice to stick the camera to the car instead like in WipEout, it's super immersive.

I just learned in the 1-hour Spa race that the on-track lights and flags will display blue even if there is a caution. I was driving without HUD and it cost me the clean race bonus. This immediately made me think of the upcoming VR update and I hope this gets fixed.

Well this is the thing.... I've always regretted the fact that I play in bumper cam because it really does suck all the immersion out of playing the game versus cockpit view. But I'm way faster in that view.

Now with VR it should be best of both worlds!
Yeah, I recognize the fact I'm perhaps a weird player of these games. I use them to work on certain things in my driving and to feel as immersed as possible, even if I'm slower than I can be if I'd use another camera view. I played the F1 games for years using the TV pod view, and I see the F1 esports guys use that view, too. As @Riptcv12 said, it just feels like cheating to me when I revert to it nowadays. And that makes it feel a lot more like I'm just playing a video game rather than a "simulator."
That said, I freely admit to using bumper cam for the online lap-time challenges in GT7, the ones that pay out $2M every couple weeks if you get close enough to the world-record time. But kinda to the point, I switch to that view because it speeds up my learning of the track and gains me time, and I only play those challenges for the credits, so I want to get them done as quickly as possible.

@Jordan there's something going around about not being able to use the TV sound or sound from your media player that you would normally use while gaming. Do you have any word if this is true? Do you have to use ear buds, or headphones? I was always under the impression the PS5 is the source of the sound therefore the sound will go thru whatever source you choose, and the headset simply acts as a a display to the ps5

@Jordan there's something going around about not being able to use the TV sound or sound from your media player that you would normally use while gaming. Do you have any word if this is true? Do you have to use ear buds, or headphones? I was always under the impression the PS5 is the source of the sound therefore the sound will go thru whatever source you choose, and the headset simply acts as a a display to the ps5
You can use the TV's speakers, and presumably any other connected speakers as well.

I can confirm this because my first race was actually with the TV speakers. I got carried away talking to the Sony and PD staff as we were setting up the demo and I forgot to put the Pulse 3D headset on at first.

One thing I don't know is what happened to the sound on the TV when the headphones were activated. I'm assuming the sounds still played through the TV, but I can't confirm that.

I did not use the headset with the PSVR 2's provided headphones.

Last edited:
There have been a lot of good posts here about how everyone prefers different camera views for having the best control and laptime. In previous versions of GT, I usually found myself to be fastest with a hood or bumper cam. As much as I love well rendered car interiors, I could just not place the car on the track as well in cockpit view. I sort of always found this to be disappointing because here was this extremely detailed car I was supposed to be in, while my actual view was the generic GT hud of two semi circles. I would have at least appreciated car specific tachometers and speedometers.

My first car I ever drove in VR was the Ferrari 288 GTO in Assetto Corsa. When the game finished loading and placed me in the car. I just sat there, for what seemed like forever. I was looking all around the car, looking at it's details from outside as well. It was pretty much what, as a kid growing up, I always wanted out of a racing game. To feel like you're in that car, like you really own the machine.

Driving felt weird at first, especially since it felt like I was actually at a location, looking off into the distance and seeing cars already out on track. One thing that was also different was that you could always look over your shoulders and see views of the entire track you never really saw before in other non VR sims. Since I was competing in Iracing, times and driving performance were very important to me. In flat screen, I was just driving a PC sim. Take a 6th gear bend flat out no problem and not even think about it. In VR it all changed for me. I can't really explain why, but there's a sense of preservation. I think it's that everything around you has depth and mass to it. I know it's just two images tricking my brain to appear like a 3d object, but it works.

Initially I was a couple tenths slower, and I don't know exactly why. However, I then started using more real world techniques, especially looking where I wanted to go and keeping my eyes down the track. I know everyone is different, but this started to really work for me. I think it reduced the sense of speed and allowed me to relax more. One major thing I would like to add is that when you're in VR cockpit mode, you can really see the track much better than flat screen. It's not even comparable. I think it also gives you a greater sense what the car is doing on it's contact patches, it's a much better sensation of if the car is rotating too much. I began to spin a lot less. I still spin, just not as much. :D

I agree with everything you said. The spatial awareness of real life can't be matched by a sim, no matter how high the resolution is or high the frame rate is. I can go out for warm up laps on a track I've never been on before, and after 3 laps, pretty much have turns, braking points, shift points, etc. memorized, or at least a good base knowledge to build on. In a video game, it seems like it takes dozens of laps to get to that point. On track, I might see, and use, a small clump of weeds on the side, or a slight imperfection or crack in the pavement as a reference point. In a video game, that level of immersion in the infinite details is just not possible. Plus, IRL, there is something about that self preservation instinct that tends to focus you a little more. You are fully aware of where you are in relation to everything around you in a more 3 dimensional way. A big part of that spacial awareness that is missing in video games is depth perception, which is where VR comes in. I'm really excited to see how this is going to go. I expect, and hope, that I will be a little more competitive in the game with VR.

Does anyone know where a wired headset aux jack is on the PSVR2? I assume if you're using the DualSense you can just use the port on there, but otherwise where would it be? Trying to get a sense of where the cord would dangle while I play and whether I should invest in a wireless set (moreso a concern for games that will use the VR motion controllers).

Back