GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Cats are good at finding all kinds of hiding places.

DSC_0369.JPG

There have been a lot of good posts here about how everyone prefers different camera views for having the best control and laptime. In previous versions of GT, I usually found myself to be fastest with a hood or bumper cam. As much as I love well rendered car interiors, I could just not place the car on the track as well in cockpit view. I sort of always found this to be disappointing because here was this extremely detailed car I was supposed to be in, while my actual view was the generic GT hud of two semi circles. I would have at least appreciated car specific tachometers and speedometers.

My first car I ever drove in VR was the Ferrari 288 GTO in Assetto Corsa. When the game finished loading and placed me in the car. I just sat there, for what seemed like forever. I was looking all around the car, looking at it's details from outside as well. It was pretty much what, as a kid growing up, I always wanted out of a racing game. To feel like you're in that car, like you really own the machine.

Driving felt weird at first, especially since it felt like I was actually at a location, looking off into the distance and seeing cars already out on track. One thing that was also different was that you could always look over your shoulders and see views of the entire track you never really saw before in other non VR sims. Since I was competing in Iracing, times and driving performance were very important to me. In flat screen, I was just driving a PC sim. Take a 6th gear bend flat out no problem and not even think about it. In VR it all changed for me. I can't really explain why, but there's a sense of preservation. I think it's that everything around you has depth and mass to it. I know it's just two images tricking my brain to appear like a 3d object, but it works.

Initially I was a couple tenths slower, and I don't know exactly why. However, I then started using more real world techniques, especially looking where I wanted to go and keeping my eyes down the track. I know everyone is different, but this started to really work for me. I think it reduced the sense of speed and allowed me to relax more. One major thing I would like to add is that when you're in VR cockpit mode, you can really see the track much better than flat screen. It's not even comparable. I think it also gives you a greater sense what the car is doing on it's contact patches, it's a much better sensation of if the car is rotating too much. I began to spin a lot less. I still spin, just not as much. :D
This is precisely what I was getting at with my prior post. You just elaborated on it in much more vivid detail to really drive the point home. Nice job.

It sounds like we had almost identical experiences when transitioning from GT on TV to AC/ACC in VR. Cockpit mode was unusable for me on TV but perfect in VR.

There's a slight "adaptation" curve to VR, but it won't take long until you feel more comfortable and are getting equal or probably better times than before.

One of the best features is being able to turn your head to the side to see if anyone is next to you.

Sorry, I'll try not to flood this thread too much, but yeah, I'm hyped like never!... I don't think I've been excited that much since something like 34 years ago, when my parents hid the NES on the top of a closet before Christmas. My brother and I could stare at the damn box for hours everytime they were away from home 😂 I'm THAT excited!
I think this thread feeds itself :) I was only mildly hyped (I did pre-order it after all) before I started reading it, but as I've been following it reading everyone's experiences, discussing, and watching more videos, like @Jordan 's review, the hype and anticipation grows, and I feel more like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Finally bit the vr bullet, ordered from Costco here in Canada. Not sure if it ships on the 22nd or arrives then. Now I find myself not wanting to play until it arrives, the flat screen seems so mundane now.

Last edited:
People in the states are being charged now it seems. Nothing happening so far in Germany.

The suspense is KILLING me.
Ya I got charged at 11:30 (Most people were an hour before me on the east coast.)
I'm in the Desert, USA.

Finally bit the vr bullet, ordered from Costco here in Canada. Not sure if it ships on the 22nd or arrives then. Now I find myself not wanting to play until it arrives, the flat screen seems so mundane now.
You are in for a treat. I never had any interest in the PSVR2 cause I have pcvr. But I rented GT7 and was looking up stuff while it was doing whatever 3hr bs when you boot it up and saw there was a VR version coming.
Looked at the specs of PSVR2 and legit did 2 races and put the game back in its case and returned it.
I've done some VR racing on pc and not a chance I'll waste the experience of first time GT7 haha.

This was all like 3-4 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Depending on the view used in non VR we get either in car or external sounds. For those that use roof or chase cam currently I wonder if they will have to get used to a different sound when driving in VR or if PD will add a positional sound selector like we had in older versions of the game.
I may be mistaken but I don’t think that option exists anymore in GT7.
I guess this could be part of the update.
I just want to be able to use chase cam with the PSVR2.

That explains it ;)

Not to sound condescending, but I think you will change your mind (and your mind will also be blown) in little over 5 days.
The way i see it, what slows you down when racing is the fear of death, it stops you from pushing the envelope. If you race with chase cam its like you've already died and are experiencing yourself racing with that floating above, out of body experience - so no need to fear death and therefore potentially quicker.

I was thinking about this yesterday, isn’t the inside out tracking of the PSVR2 gonna have issues with a motion simulator?

I honestly do not understand that. What is the appeal of anything but cockpit cam in VR?

I fully expect VR in GT7 to be locked to cockpit cam, but other views are really cool for driving games in VR.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this yesterday, isn’t the inside out tracking of the PSVR2 gonna have issues with a motion simulator?
People are playing that way on motion simulators and there is no problem. You will have natural head shakes due to car/rig movement and that is all.

Ok guys, PSVR2 reviews are for today!!!
Seems that the embargo ends at 14h, but many channel propose a pre-review already, with probably full reviews beginning at 14h!
(((o(゚▽゚)o)))

(for those interested, the Digital Foundry review is really complete and with 4k60fps captures)

Last edited:
Ok guys, PSVR2 reviews are for today!!!
Seems that the embargo ends at 14h, but many channel propose a pre-review already, with probably full reviews beginning at 14h!
(((o(゚▽゚)o)))
They won't be GT7 reviews though; there's no game build out there for journos to test - Sony invited people to local offices to test it out and... well, we all already did that and published.

Anything that's supposedly coming out today therefore doesn't belong in this thread unless it also covers GT7. However this one would work just fine:

Last edited:
Just checked my preorder after I updated my payment details earlier in the week (email said I had until today to change them) The old credit card still shows against my order despite my new one showing as default payment on my PS account. Speaking to an advisor, they say it should be fine. Just have an additional thing to be anxious about until it arrives

I'm wondering if the included headphones are good, or will I need to also buy the Pulse 3d ones.
You can use pretty much any headphones, wired or wireless. Just find something that is comfy.

I'm wondering if the included headphones are good, or will I need to also buy the Pulse 3d ones.
I was using a cheap pair of no 3D audio headphones with PS5 originally. I recently bought the official Pulse 3D headphones and the upgrade experience with GT7 is subtle.
The 3D audio does sound great at times but my old stereo cheapo headphones still did a great job of letting me know if another car was on either the left or right of me.

The official Pulse 3D headphones are great for music through the PS5 and of course great for games in general but don’t expect a massive upgrade in sound. It’s better but not a game changer or anything.

I would say that if you are getting the PSVR2 for GT7 then wait to try the included earbuds or use your current headphones and see if you can pick up 3D headphones in a sale or something. You’re not really missing out on much if you wait.

Last edited:
I was using a cheap pair of no 3D audio headphones with PS5 originally. I recently bought the official Pulse 3D headphones and the upgrade experience with GT7 is subtle.
The 3D audio does sound great at times but my old stereo cheapo headphones still did a great job of letting me know if another car was on either the left or right of me.

The official Pulse 3D headphones are great for music through the PS5 and of course great for games in general but don’t expect a massive upgrade in sound. It’s better but not a game changer or anything.

I would say that if you are getting the PSVR2 for GT7 then wait to try the included earbuds or use your current headphones and see if you can pick up 3D headphones in a sale or something. You’re not really missing out on much if you wait.

This was my plan, to check the ones included with the PSVR2, maybe they are good. Fetching 80 for Pulse 3d at this moment is impossible 🥲.

I can also try my Edifier Bluetooth headset with an adapter, which are super comfy and good sound quality but not 3D.

Thx for the info, you confirmed my guess. I don't use headphones with the PS5 anyway it will only be needed for the VR.

Back