GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Very excited, my headset should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. The cockpit is all ready to go. I have been an active GT player since 2001, the year they released GT3 for PS2. I did the multi-monitor deal for GT5 and GT6 on PS3. More recently I have done GT7 on my PS5 with a controller but it's just not the same. This is going to be the best way we have ever had to experience GT, given how immersive VR is and the fact that they have nailed the experience. Here is a shot of my cockpit, the only thing missing is the headset:

IMG_7148.jpeg

MY order is in transit from Ontario California to Washington State.

Sony says 2/21 delivery, which is possible because itʻs a 1,000 mile (1600 kilometer) trip.

However UPS is says 2/22 delivery which more likely and better for me, signature required.

Either way itʻs going to be fun!
I'd expect it tomorrow. The shipping details on my order specify Next Day Air, which is guaranteed.

Good luck to you guys with non-removable headrests! Hopefully the VR band doesn't make it too uncomfortable. I pulled the headrest off my car seat already in preparation.

PXL_20230220_184631508.jpg

Good luck to you guys with non-removable headrests! Hopefully the VR band doesn't make it too uncomfortable. I pulled the headrest off my car seat already in preparation.

View attachment 1232828
This was never a problem for me, I dont sit with the back of my head pressed against the headrest when I drive. I never had a problem when driving in vr on gt sport & don't envisage any issues when driving with psvr2 & gt7
It's no different to wearing a crash helmet on a track day.

Last edited:
Driving the Ford GT race car last night at Catalunya in cockpit view, there was a number of issues, in addition to the tunnel view because of the wide FOV, the drivers hands & wheel blocked most the view out of the cockpit when coming into a turns, so much that I couldn't see the road much less the apex (adjustable seating position would fix most of this) which caused a few offs, I will be curious with VR, how much view is being blocked, in other racing sims I usually adjust the seating height to minimize this issue or simply turn off the hands/wheel.
David Perel has driver PoV cams for GT3 cars on YouTube and he has remarked that the field of view in a real race car is tiny. Much of it is obfuscated by cockpit instruments
I'd expect it tomorrow. The shipping details on my order specify Next Day Air, which is guaranteed.

View attachment 1232828
The RS wheel is rockin'. But the leather is very slippy on it, I usually wear stippled gloves when using it.

I almost regret losing those rev lights now I'll be crossing into VR land....all these fancy Fanatec in-wheel displays put out to pasture!

David Perel has driver PoV cams for GT3 cars on YouTube and he has remarked that the field of view in a real race car is tiny. Much of it is obfuscated by cockpit instruments
Yes, I agree, the view inside these cars a bit limited, but what PD has done with the wide FOV has compounded the problem making the windscreen much much smaller and further back than it really is.

Yes, I agree, the view inside these cars a bit limited, but what PD has done with the wide FOV has compounded the problem making the windscreen much much smaller and further back than it really is.

In PSVR 1 it was as easy as moving yourself forward if you wanted a better view of the road. I imagine it will be just as easy with PSVR2. Your head isn't stuck in one position.

Very excited, my headset should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. The cockpit is all ready to go. I have been an active GT player since 2001, the year they released GT3 for PS2. I did the multi-monitor deal for GT5 and GT6 on PS3. More recently I have done GT7 on my PS5 with a controller but it's just not the same. This is going to be the best way we have ever had to experience GT, given how immersive VR is and the fact that they have nailed the experience. Here is a shot of my cockpit, the only thing missing is the headset:

View attachment 1232812

My setup exactly!

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

New Gran Turismo 7 PSVR 2 Video Shows VR Showroom and Deep Forest Gameplay

The official PlayStation Japan YouTube channel posted a new video early this morning, showing off new footage of Gran Turismo 7 running on the PlayStation VR 2 headset. It offers the best look yet at GT7’s VR Showroom mode, which allows players to explore both the exteriors and interiors of all the game’s cars in a 3D environment...

Last edited:
If you are displaying to both the PSVR2 and to a TV, does the TV mirror what the user wearing the headset sees or does it show what you would see if the headset weren't connected?

I was just wondering about this. On my PC if I run my flight sims at native 90hz on my headset, there's a little bit of a struggle to be totally smooth, not too bad though. If I put reprojection on, then everything is super smooth. However, fast moving objects, like other aircraft and missiles, appear with a ghost image and sort of stutter a bit. It is a bit of a trade off. I was hoping Jordan could let us know if there were any graphical issues at 120Hz or if he tried it at 90Hz for comparison.
I'm not an expert in VR display technology, but the only time I saw something like this was in the VR Replay mode. When the cars drive right by you, it is a very fast fast horizontal motion and there is a sort of "ghosting" of there. It's probably a type of motion that the re-projection struggles with. Not an issue in gameplay.
If you are displaying to both the PSVR2 and to a TV, does the TV mirror what the user wearing the headset sees or does it show what you would see if the headset weren't connected?
It mirrors what the PSVR 2 user is seeing in their headset.

Nice setups! :)

Yesterday somebody asked what would be our first race in VR, and after this update trailer all I dream of is driving this RA272 around Grand Valley Highway! 🤤

It looks like the most impressive track so far, the scenery is incredible and it might become one of the best tracks ever if the layouts are interesting enough, which seems to be the case! Can't wait to try out both and look above the bridge in VR! x)

Yeah, its a shame Sophy it only limited to you vs 4 other cars and 4 tracks. Hopefully this will expand to more cars and tracks. Maybe we could have a GT Planet lobby for VR users? :)
Based on what @Jordan said about how good it can be.
If they had the full game and a full grid of cars all with Sophy, there could be a large drop in people who would bother playing online.
Maybe this would be one of the reasons it is limited to 4 cars at present too.

Based on what @Jordan said about how good it can be.
If they had the full game and a full grid of cars all with Sophy, there could be a large drop in people who would bother playing online.
Maybe this would be one of the reasons it is limited to 4 cars at present too.
I'd rather have a good battle with 4 sophy cars than a boring one with 19 standard ai cars.

I think she liked it...
VR Showroom looks nice but Im a bit bummed it looks like we cant actually walk around the cars.
While Showroom is a good way to show off the hardware and details in a VR space. I hope in a future update those environments can be adapted for use in Scapes. Sure the limited movement in scapes is understandable. But since showroom is a modelled location keeping it restricted to inactivity demo’s, cafe and VR would be a shame. The possibilities in Photomode when paired with a no-clip camera and filters would result in some truly magnificent shots. And if Polyphony Digital wants to take it a step further add a no-clip camera to normal Photomode.

The VR showroom is impressive but I'm looking at it through a 2D screen without a headset to be impressed. I don't see why that couldn't be put in as part of the standard game moving/looking around with analogue sticks, Forzavista has allowed that in the past and even before that PGR let us walk around the garage to look at cars.

I think she liked it...
VR Showroom looks nice but Im a bit bummed it looks like we cant actually walk around the cars.
As a VR gamer, I can tell you that moving around in VR without walking can be fairly disorienting at first, especially when you're standing up, and some people even get motion-sick. Maybe PD wasn't thrilled with the level of discomfort people were experiencing moving around while standing up and decided to remove that functionality

As a VR gamer, I can tell you that moving around in VR without walking can be fairly disorienting at first, especially when you're standing up, and some people even get motion-sick. Maybe PD wasn't thrilled with the level of discomfort people were experiencing moving around while standing up and decided to remove that functionality
I'm quite sure you can still walk around the car, either while walking for real or with the left stick. In the video you can see that the right stick is used to change your position around the car, but as for the free movements I'm pretty sure they will be here like in GT sport.

EDIT: if you look at Jordan's video, he says that you can walk around the car 👍

Last edited:
While Showroom is a good way to show off the hardware and details in a VR space. I hope in a future update those environments can be adapted for use in Scapes. Sure the limited movement in scapes is understandable. But since showroom is a modelled location keeping it restricted to inactivity demo’s, cafe and VR would be a shame. The possibilities in Photomode when paired with a no-clip camera and filters would result in some truly magnificent shots. And if Polyphony Digital wants to take it a step further add a no-clip camera to normal Photomode.
to add, the cafe cutscenes for the GTR? or the corvetes? have this showroom 3D place. Looks amazing with great textures, and good attention to detail. It's basically the size of the piazza del campo from GT5 photomode. No idea why PD doesn't have photo travel too.

Sick!

Best to listen on mute. I am a little dubious about this AI sophy stuff, from one side, defo the offline racing will be better and harder and without being punted off! But from the other side how fast can it be until it’s just cutting more corners, hope there’s a sweet spot for that

I’m all platinum'd up in gt7 and working through sport, so glad they still adding to the game

Back