GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Check the video I posted earlier if you have tracking issues. Seems to work for me at least.

Just about every car’s cockpit has been a surprise. The depth in the instrument panels for starters.
But as for a favourite so far, probably the Honda RA272 or the Radical or any Porsche.
The driving position and cockpit design/ergonomics are a huge part of the reason I love Porsche IRL (Even my humble 986 has a remarkably special feeling cockpit) and its cool to see that this translates in VR.

I bought PSVR2.

My first impressions are very positive ! But I have a problem.
I drove Swift Sport, a car I own in real life. Cockpit view seems small and the driver has small arms for me....

Where does this problem come from ?
Lean forward whilst holding the options button down it will reposition your screen further, acting like sliding your seat back. I do this until I can see the virtual abdomen by looking down without moving head and it feels the correct distance this way.

Last edited:
Can't wait to go home on sunday and open the box.
So far it seems:

1. disappointing on graphics compared to flat
2. beatiful showrooms
3. some have motion sickness, some do not have
4. Could be better in settings and menus

Nobody still answered or knows the final question:

PSVR2 GT7 is just an impressive gadget or actually can be the future of the way in which we play this game?
My opinion from what little runtime I have had so far is that if
1. I can overcome the sickness and
2. I can answer positively to the question of whether it's comfortable for many hours
Then VR will be the way forward. The immersion is just on another level and makes the whole game just... Wow. I didn't know Lago Maggiore was THAT elevated.

Well the weather was pretty extreme today in N. Iowa. UPS pulled through despite a three hour delivery delay in the morning and the kit arrived right before I got home from work (no signature).

I'm charging the controllers now. Gonna have a Kayak/RE8/NMS/HCotM demo session with the family before diving into GT7 tonight!

Well the weather was pretty extreme today in N. Iowa. UPS pulled through despite a three hour delivery delay in the morning and the kit arrived right before I got home from work (no signature).

I'm charging the controllers now. Gonna have a Kayak/RE8/NMS/HCotM demo session with the family before diving into GT7 tonight!
I really like the Kayak Vr, them stormy seas could cause a few issues lol, Gonna have too move into the kitchen for that as my living room is too small :)

Last edited:
After 20 mins of looping Grand Valley in my MX-5 in a racing chair. Overall I'm pretty happy with it for a console VR setup, but I feel really misled by what people were saying about clarity and resolution. In my car everything looks sharp, but not high res, I can't make out the texture of my steering wheel no matter how hard I look. Outside my car things are even worse, I can't read any of the signs and there is a general blurriness that is very in contrast to the sharpness inside the car. When driving fast it's not an issue, but when trying to enjoy the scenery it's pretty meh.
Also, the lenses are super textured and it creates a film grain effect in-game, especially in low light situations, in bright settings it looks much better.
The FOV is fantastic vertically, but just ok horizontally, in real life I can turn my head 90 degrees and look over my shoulder behind me, in the headset I can't I need to rotate my body an extra 20 degrees or so.
The included headphones are about as good as something that would come with a basic mp3 player.
The haptics are very mild on the headset.
Also, the driver avatar looks like they weigh 90 pounds, I guess the GT cafe doesn't serve food.
The most annoying thing (for me) is the cable is rear left and coming out of the headset on a downward angle, WHY DID THEY DO THIS?? every time I try to look right the cable is behind my back and I pull on the headset.
-
LOL these are all minor nitpicks except for the clarity, overall I'm very happy with the headset and I hope I helped to temper expectations. It's a super fun experience and well worth it if you are like me and love to immerse yourself in the drive

Last edited:
It’s finally here and I played a few hours. It’s amazing and just works. Image is super sharp and the only visible downgrade is texture quality on some models. My only complaint is that somehow the sense of scale is very off. You virtual arms feels tiny. I noticed it when I tried NSX and I looked at shifter. Omg it was literally the size of a pinky finger. @Jordan have you experienced the same on the preview build? I suspect this has something to do with the helmet cameras fov. Because see through also gives you impression that everything smaller.

It's strange how there's such a huge gamut of people's experiences. Some are saying it's super sharp, while others are saying it looks like they're playing through a transparent shower curtain. Others are saying that the only ghosting they see are during the replays while others are saying it's present all the time. My own experience is somewhere in the middle. Initially I was a little underwhelmed by the graphics while racing. However, for some reason my mind is adapting and I'm pretty impressed by it all. I'm enjoying it. The showrooms, OMG, there's nothing like it out there in the gaming world.

PS VR2 feels great! It definitely takes a bit of getting used to before I can drive as quickly as on a flatscreen. I drove for like 3 hours, and didn’t feel sick at all, it was very comfortable, and there wasn't any stress point.
The only issue I encountered was tracking (surprisingly), I guess it was because the wall and ceiling I was facing were too featureless (literally just white paint), so the tracking drifts sometimes. The two bright lamps probably didn’t help either. I moved my rig to face another feature-richer direction and tracking drift never happens again. I’ll get some posters to put on my walls to make them more trackable.
Also, I noticed that the rearview mirrors in VR are closer to real mirrors than a fixed camera monitor, the perspective changes according to the head position. When you drive, it looks like it’s only rendering from one view position, instead of two, but in the VR showroom it’s full on with two perspectives, making it very close to a real mirror if not entirely accurate yet. I’m very pleased with this, much better than the mirrors in AC and ACC.

Last edited:
My VR2 arrived dead on arrival. It doesn't power on at all. Pretty disappointed to say the least. The inner white box had it's seal opened even though the outer box seal was in tact. Something very fishy there. Gutted.
That's a shame. My inside seal was also open, but I think that was me because the outer and inner boxes have the seal in the exact same place. Mine powered up BTW.

My VR2 arrived dead on arrival. It doesn't power on at all. Pretty disappointed to say the least. The inner white box had it's seal opened even though the outer box seal was in tact. Something very fishy there. Gutted.

You need to have your PS5 off before you plug in your PSVR and then when you power your PS5 on it should work.

It's strange how there's such a huge gamut of people's experiences. Some are saying it's super sharp, while others are saying it looks like they're playing through a transparent shower curtain. Others are saying that the only ghosting they see are during the replays while others are saying it's present all the time. My own experience is somewhere in the middle. Initially I was a little underwhelmed by the graphics while racing. However, for some reason my mind is adapting and I'm pretty impressed by it all. I'm enjoying it. The showrooms, OMG, there's nothing like it out there in the gaming world.
I'd say a lot of it is different setups on the headset for different people.

I agree with every word from @HGHTCH

For me it was blurry and no amount of turning the dial made it more clear. It's hard to read road signs and even when I stop dead in the middle of the track and worked the dial, I couldn't get anything that looked good.

Despite how horrible it looked, I went to the Red Bull ring with the radical and I have never felt anything like it in my life.

Then, I did 2 laps at Laguna because I was dying to see what it would be like on the corkscrew, and...

Holy Moly!!! I don't ever want to race any other way

The problem is that I hate the HUD and it looks poor, and I don't mean average, I mean poor. I'm hoping against hope that it's user error and something can be done to make it look better.

I was close to packing the thing up but my daughter wanted to try Horizon and I've never seen her more giddy with a game. She's usually very understated and was going nuts! Specifically, when she climbed high and looked down she could feel the elevation. She could feel how high she was and it gave her a quick scare.

I guess I'll keep it. Just wish I could race with it.

Last edited:
I agree with every word from @HGHTCH

For me it was blurry and no amount of turning the dial made it more clear. It's hard to read road signs and even when I stop dead in the middle of the track and worked the dial, I couldn't get anything that looked good.

Despite how horrible it looked, I went to the Red Bull ring with the radical and I have never felt anything like it in my life.

Then, I did 2 laps at Laguna because I was dying to see what it would be like on the corkscrew, and...

Holy Moly!!! I don't ever want to race any other way

The problem is that I hate the HUD and it looks poor, and I don't mean average, I mean poor. I'm hoping against hope that it's user error and something can be done to make it look better.

I was close to packing the thing up but my daughter wanted to try Horizon and I've never seen her more giddy with a game. She's usually very understated and was going nuts! Specifically, when she climbed high and looked down she could feel the elevation. She could feel how high she was and it gave her a quick scare.

I guess I'll keep it. Just wish I could race with it.
Maybe your IPD is out of the adjustable range? I think it was between 58 to 73 mm.

I just got around to playing GT7 after an evening of trying many other games (which all work fine)..But GT will not go into VR mode. It just launches in the "Cinema Screen" like any non-VR "2D" game.

I have tried everything and have confirmed I have the latest version (1.29).. But I can't get it to start in VR...

Is there a setting or mode I am overlooking? If not, does anyone have any ideas.. I have the Disk Version (rather than Digital) and wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Edit: I wonder if I am suffering from a bought of stupidity.. I never actually started a race, just got to the beginning and saw it was in 2D so I quit.. I just watched a Youtube videos and it seems to be in '2D' until the race actually starts.. So perhaps I just havnt' given it chance? Its late here in the UK, But I have to go and check... Looks like its going to be a late night!

Last edited:
Ok this thing is nuts . There are instances where you genuinely feel like you've left your physical body. Seriously, Tokyo at night with heavy rain....the whole thing is surreal. Amazing!

Has anyone here used a shifter in VR yet? I'm finding driving shifter cars kinda jarring what with the hand moving down to the stick. Already debating whether to buy a Fanatec shifter.

Of course, the other issue is that you'd have to move it depending on whether the car was RHD or LHD.... Though I'd mostly be using Japanese cars I reckon.

Maybe it's because of the expectations? VR is inherently blurry and the transpartent shower curtain description seems accurate.
I moved to PSVR2 from Oculus Rift CV1 and iRacing. So I chuckle when I see people complaining about the blur, cause it is Night and day, compared to what Im used to.
For me it's a simple - yeah, Im loosing sharpness and fidelity, but gaining so much more, especially in racing games.
But from all the Vr headsets Ive personally used (rift s, and valve index, and one more, mine cv1), psvr beats them all.
its like complaining about the WiFi speeds while being on a plane.
My wife tried it as well and was amazed by the clarity. But we are talking relative(!) clarity, as in, yes - it sucks compared to our TV, but it is amazing in comparison with anything else.

Last edited:
I just got around to playing GT7 after an evening of trying many other games (which all work fine)..But GT will not go into VR mode. It just launches in the "Cinema Screen" like any non-VR "2D" game.

I have tried everything and have confirmed I have the latest version (1.29).. But I can't get it to start in VR...

Is there a setting or mode I am overlooking? If not, does anyone have any ideas.. I have the Disk Version (rather than Digital) and wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Edit: I wonder if I am suffering from a bought of stupidity.. I never actually started a race, just got to the beginning and saw it was in 2D so I quit.. I just watched a Youtube videos and it seems to be in '2D' until the race actually starts.. So perhaps I just havnt' given it chance? Its late here in the UK, But I have to go and check... Looks like its going to be a late night!
It's like you said - the true VR starts with the race, everything else is cinema screen.

Watched Kie25 7h(!) vr stream, he was amazed by quality and immersion. He said its game changer, as completly new game, you just want to check every car, feel like real life race. Sense of speed and elevation is much better than in flat version. Only real issue is lack of delta to next cars, maybe pd can add it in next updates, and sometimes he had to recenter camera (once tracking lost after pitstop).

Can't wait to go home on sunday and open the box.
So far it seems:

1. disappointing on graphics compared to flat
2. beatiful showrooms
3. some have motion sickness, some do not have
4. Could be better in settings and menus

Nobody still answered or knows the final question:

PSVR2 GT7 is just an impressive gadget or actually can be the future of the way in which we play this game?
I know a lot of people that tried racing and VR and could never go back - me included.
In racing, depth perception, seeing the apex of the turn, being able to ride bumper to bumper will trump graphics no matter what.
Being able to see the upcoming turn through the side window, not being tied to the front of the hood.
So, if you're really into racing, it's this or at least a triple screen setup - and the latter is impossible on ps5.
Racing, and flight sims + VR = amazing :D

Back