GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Maybe it's because of the expectations? VR is inherently blurry and the transpartent shower curtain description seems accurate.
I moved to PSVR2 from Oculus Rift CV1 and iRacing. So I chuckle when I see people complaining about the blur, cause it is Night and day, compared to what Im used to.
For me it's a simple - yeah, Im loosing sharpness and fidelity, but gaining so much more, especially in racing games.
But from all the Vr headsets Ive personally used (rift s, and valve index, and one more, mine cv1), psvr beats them all.
its like complaining about the WiFi speeds while being on a plane.
My wife tried it as well and was amazed by the clarity. But we are talking relative(!) clarity, as in, yes - it sucks compared to our TV, but it is amazing in comparison with anything else.
Excellent post. Very informative for someone like me who had no idea what to expect from VR.

Thank you for putting it in perspective for us.

It sounds like my case might be worse than others so perhaps it's user error. I may have made a mistake by trying to set up the headset while sitting in my playseat challenge.

Maybe your IPD is out of the adjustable range? I think it was between 58 to 73 mm.
Since this is a friendly forum I'm going to ask a dumb question and hope that nobody gives me a hard time for asking a dumb question

What is IPD? How do I fix it?

Last edited:
Ok this thing is nuts . There are instances where you genuinely feel like you've left your physical body. Seriously, Tokyo at night with heavy rain....the whole thing is surreal. Amazing!

Has anyone here used a shifter in VR yet? I'm finding driving shifter cars kinda jarring what with the hand moving down to the stick. Already debating whether to buy a Fanatec shifter.

Of course, the other issue is that you'd have to move it depending on whether the car was RHD or LHD.... Though I'd mostly be using Japanese cars I reckon.
You just have to do your best to get used to it,
Avoid missing opportunities when changing gears.

Is there anyway of displaying the leader board in VR, when running longer races I look at what the other AIplayers are doing to decide when to pit, plus knowing time difference betwenn cars.
Yes please, same question. I miss the race screens; laptimes screen and position indicator screen

I have a 65in Q80… I wasn’t expecting the game to look as sharp as it is on my TV… but it’s pretty close!!! Yes there is a small grain but I think at least for me it’s noticeable because I’m not use to VR… after a 30 min of lapping the grain kinda goes away… I guess it’s it’s me getting use to it! After trying VR I did some laps just playing on the TV and it was so underwhelming… even with the better picture it CANNOT compare to the sensation you get from VR… I will take the graphic downgrade all day to get the experience I am getting with VR…. Off topic I tried the resident evil demo… and as soon as I heard the zombies make them scary sounds I turned it right off! I was truly scared.. VR is amazing!

Since this is a friendly forum I'm going to ask a dumb question and hope that nobody gives me a hard time for asking a dumb question

What is IPD? How do I fix it?
interipupillary distance
A short description on the website above.
That's what's the adjuster on the top left of the VR is - to match your IPD. But also make sure that you set it up correctly vertically - sometimes the VR needs to hang lower on your face. And, as Ive mentioned earlier - its gonna be blurry anyway, don't expect total crispness.
Edit: Sorry - didn't notice you answered a bit earlier;)
edit2: there's another part of of PSVR2 being superior in every way to my former VR - the setup!
I know I had a very old VR, but setting up the sensors, resetting the room every time, having a powered hub to connect all of this was a royal pain in the butt and I did not use it that often because of it. My VR connected through one usb3 and an HDMI cable, which made screen sharing hard, and because you should use usb 3 for the sensors as well, and each sensor had a separate plug, you ran out of ports fast. PSVR2's single usb-c is truly a blessing. I was driving in 10 minutes time from unboxing. Amazing.

Last edited:
UPS delivered around noon and I had to wait a few hours to finish work and give it a try.

Overall my first drive was really good. I took the new Honda RA272 '65 out on Grand Valley Hwy 1. What a blast! Love this track, and I can tell I'm going to have some fun here. For the first VR tryout, open cockpit is definitely the way to go.

Prior to GT7, I have raced in VR using a Quest 2 on PC with ACC and iRacing. From a graphics point of view, PSVR2 has them beat, considerably. Mostly a very crisp image, although things outside your primary field of vision are more blurry. Couldn't read signs while moving at a clip, but when I slowed down and focused on them, I could see them more clearly. I assume this is part of the tradeoff with foveated rendering - i.e it's doing what it was designed to do.

This didn't distract from the experience at all. I also think anyone who says it's "horrible" hasn't set up the IPD and eye tracking correctly (or is being too picky). If you don't do these setup steps correctly you will not have a good experience with the graphics.

The only complaint I have is related to the sound - and this very well may be user error, but it seems that you can't run the sound through your TV if you don't want to use the PSVR-supplied headphones. The right earbud of my headphones isn't giving any sound so I think it's defective, but there was no way for me to opt for my TV sound. I WAS able to plug in my USB dongle and use my wireless headset, but that thing doesn't fit well over the VR headset (this is one area where the Quest 2 is better).

I'll probably be OK to use the PSVR headset once I get it replaced or get another smaller wired headset entirely, but in the meantime, I'll live with this.

I agree with most of the people here that this will be a game changer for GT7 for those who want an immersive experience. Just an instinct here, but I think PSVR2 is going to do very well for Sony.

Now I need to get back out and try some other cars, tracks, a race, etc.

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention. One huge advantage of PSVR2 over Quest 2 - I can wear my glasses with it, comfortably. Glasses just don't work well with Quest 2, and it's clear Sony included this in their design of PSVR2 intentionally.

Last edited:
Expectations are everything, I had a Rift S before this maybe that is why I feel so disappointed in the softness of the graphics. I just did an hour of racing at the ring and Bathurst and I'm quite happy with the experience. The graphics have really been downgraded though more so than on the PS4, shadow distance is poor and the LOD on shadows more than 8 meters or so from you is silly bad, there is a lot of popin of car parts from that same distance too. And there is little to no foliage, you get some soft 2d grass in front of you about half as much as normal but when you turn your head to watch it as you pass it, it's not there.
-
Again these are all minor nitpicks, the experience is great, the headset feels good, I am very happy with the experience. My only gripe is I overhyped myself that this would be a near 1:1 graphical experience.

UPS delivered around noon and I had to wait a few hours to finish work and give it a try.

Overall my first drive was really good. I took the new Honda RA272 '65 out on Grand Valley Hwy 1. What a blast! Love this track, and I can tell I'm going to have some fun here. For the first VR tryout, open cockpit is definitely the way to go.

Prior to GT7, I have raced in VR using a Quest 2 on PC with ACC and iRacing. From a graphics point of view, PSVR2 has them beat, considerably. Mostly a very crisp image, although things outside your primary field of vision are more blurry. Couldn't read signs while moving at a clip, but when I slowed down and focused on them, I could see them more clearly I assume this is part of the tradeoff with foveated rendering - i.e it's doing what it was designed to do.

This didn't distract from the experience at all. I also think anyone who says it's "horrible" hasn't set up the IPD and eye tracking correctly (or is being too picky). If you don't do these setup steps correctly you will not have a good experience with the graphics.

The only complaint I have is related to the sound - and this very well may be user error, but it seems that you can't run the sound through your TV if you don't want to use the PSVR-supplied headphones. The right earbud of my headphones isn't giving any sound so I think it's defective, but there was no way for me to opt for my TV sound. I WAS able to plug in my USB dongle and use my wireless headset, but that thing doesn't fit well over the VR headset (this is one area where the Quest 2 is better).

I'll probably be OK to use the PSVR headset once I get it replaced or get another smaller wired headset entirely, but in the meantime, I'll live with this.

I agree with most of the people here that this will be a game changer for GT7 for those who want an immersive experience. Just an instinct here, but I think PSVR2 is going to do very well for Sony.

Fantastic post, the fact you have VR experience shows that you know what's up

Taking a break from starting the game from scratch with the PSVR2. Secundus account is at 8%. Not sure yet if I'll race with VR in my league just yet. Don't think I'll equal that account's game progress by Sunday.

So, first impressions. Got it all unboxed, cable ran up under/behind my desk and plugged in to PS. Fired it up to main account first and configured the initial play area under that option. That was just weird. During all this I got that uneasy feeling I get when on a large ship (cruise type) in open water. Not sick, just don't feel "right". Started getting a little sweaty and put it down for about 15 minutes as @Jordan and the PSVR2 manual advised. Came back, took off the sweater I was wearing, flipped to alt account and reconfigured for the sitting down position. That was just as weird but since I was sitting, the level of not feeling right was less. Ran that first Music Rally to get into the game and almost spent as much time gawking around as I did driving. It feels so much better being able to see around by either glancing or turning your head.

Graphics adjustments seem a little tough to fine tune. As another in this thread mentioned a concern about, I have progressive lens glasses and adjusting the scope to allow them to ride comfortably and have the projected images in focus is a bit finicky. I may have to get some non progressive lens made in the middle prescription so I don't have to keep moving my head to get areas to come into focus. I was very concerned about which part of my lenses would put the screen in focus but it seems my brain believes the images are a foot or two beyond arms length. Inside arms length would put the bottom part of my lenses in play and that wouldn't have been good at all. It would be nice if there was an independent height adjustment possible for the scope. I have to tip the thing back on my head more than I'd like and cinch down the strap tight enough so it doesn't slip down my forehead whilst having that gawk.

I have noticed the "screen" slip from center almost every time I exit a race. That is rather annoying. The passthrough view shows everything closer to me than it actually is. Go to reach for something and my hand is not far enough away to grasp.

I played through Menu Book 6 and have only done B1 License. I have to say, the driving hasn't bothered me at all so far. Navigating the menus is what's giving me the not right feeling. Driving is an absolute joy, even if the graphics quality doesn't seem quite as crisp as on my non 4K TV. At the moment I'm putting that down to my glass prescription being old and progressive and not being able to settle the scope into a position that I'm only looking through that middle part. Tried without glasses at all and that was worse yet.

As I was taking my break I noticed my forehead was a little "sore" where the head band sits. That soreness has faded in the time I've taken away, which is by now about an hour.

I can't say I'm blown away by the graphics during racing but the action is so sweet I am willing to overlook those shortcomings. The VR showroom is cool but not really what I'm interested in. I did have a look at that new VGT in the showroom and it wouldn't let me get inside. Would love to see some of those VGT interiors, just for 💩s and 😀s. Not a deal breaker by any means though.

At any rate, I'm liking it so far and thinking that VR might be my default racing perspective in the very near future.

On to MB7.

Until later folks.

Edit: As @luv2drive mentioned I was very disappointed I couldn't get the sound routed through my receiver and hence the buttkicker with the VR powered up and on my head. Got my Turtle Beach headset and dongle fired up and ran that way for a bit. Went off for a dinner break and when I came back the sound was coming from receiver and speakers, even after I powered the VR back up. I can now select it as sound output option but not sure if it'll be there after a full restart or account switch. Will check on that later.

Last edited:

Prior to GT7, I have raced in VR using a Quest 2 on PC with ACC and iRacing. From a graphics point of view, PSVR2 has them beat, considerably. Mostly a very crisp image, although things outside your primary field of vision are more blurry. Couldn't read signs while moving at a clip, but when I slowed down and focused on them, I could see them more clearly. I assume this is part of the tradeoff with foveated rendering - i.e it's doing what it was designed to do.

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention. One huge advantage of PSVR2 over Quest 2 - I can wear my glasses with it, comfortably. Glasses just don't work well with Quest 2, and it's clear Sony included this in their design of PSVR2 intentionally.
Im surprised by the sound issue you have. My earbuds work, but because they suck, Ive removed them completely, and Ive run the sound directly from the AV tuner without an issue. Then Ive discovered that my regular over ear headphones go over the VR, connected it and voila - noise cancelled Sony wh-1000xm2 goodness.

Mmm I've been playing vr2 all day, and I do get audio through TV and/or receiver by default, never set up anything specific or changed settings...

Taking a break from starting the game from scratch with the PSVR2. Secundus account is at 8%. Not sure yet if I'll race with VR in my league just yet. Don't think I'll equal that account's game progress by Sunday.

So, first impressions. Got it all unboxed, cable ran up under/behind my desk and plugged in to PS. Fired it up to main account first and configured the initial play area under that option. That was just weird. During all this I got that uneasy feeling I get when on a large ship (cruise type) in open water. Not sick, just don't feel "right". Started getting a little sweaty and put it down for about 15 minutes as @Jordan and the PSVR2 manual advised. Came back, took off the sweater I was wearing, flipped to alt account and reconfigured for the sitting down position. That was just as weird but since I was sitting, the level of not feeling right was less. Ran that first Music Rally to get into the game and almost spent as much time gawking around as I did driving. It feels so much better being able to see around by either glancing or turning your head.

Graphics adjustments seem a little tough to fine tune. As another in this thread mentioned a concern about, I have progressive lens glasses and adjusting the scope to allow them to ride comfortably and have the projected images in focus is a bit finicky. I may have to get some non progressive lens made in the middle prescription so I don't have to keep moving my head to get areas to come into focus. I was very concerned about which part of my lenses would put the screen in focus but it seems my brain believes the images are a foot or two beyond arms length. Inside arms length would put the bottom part of my lenses in play and that wouldn't have been good at all. It would be nice if there was an independent height adjustment possible for the scope. I have to tip the thing back on my head more than I'd like and cinch down the strap tight enough so it doesn't slip down my forehead whilst having that gawk.

I have noticed the "screen" slip from center almost every time I exit a race. That is rather annoying. The passthrough view shows everything closer to me than it actually is. Go to reach for something and my hand is not far enough away to grasp.

I played through Menu Book 6 and have only done B1 License. I have to say, the driving hasn't bothered me at all so far. Navigating the menus is what's giving me the not right feeling. Driving is an absolute joy, even if the graphics quality doesn't seem quite as crisp as on my non 4K TV. At the moment I'm putting that down to my glass prescription being old and progressive and not being able to settle the scope into a position that I'm only looking through that middle part. Tried without glasses at all and that was worse yet.

As I was taking my break I noticed my forehead was a little "sore" where the head band sits. That soreness has faded in the time I've taken away, which is by now about an hour.

I can't say I'm blown away by the graphics during racing but the action is so sweet I am willing to overlook those shortcomings. The VR showroom is cool but not really what I'm interested in. I did have a look at that new VGT in the showroom and it wouldn't let me get inside. Would love to see some of those VGT interiors, just for 💩s and 😀s. Not a deal breaker by any means though.

At any rate, I'm liking it so far and thinking that VR might be my default racing perspective in the very near future.

On to MB7.

Until later folks.

Edit: As @luv2drive mentioned I was very disappointed I couldn't get the sound routed through my receiver and hence the buttkicker with the VR powered up and on my head. Got my Turtle Beach headset and dongle fired up and ran that way for a bit. Went off for a dinner break and when I came back the sound was coming from receiver and speakers, even after I powered the VR back up. I can now select it as sound output option but not sure if it'll be there after a full restart or account switch. Will check on that later.
No inside looks on VGTs. That's per PD update 1.29 notes...

My VR2 arrived dead on arrival. It doesn't power on at all. Pretty disappointed to say the least. The inner white box had it's seal opened even though the outer box seal was in tact. Something very fishy there. Gutted.
My outer and inside seal was open too. I was worried that something might be wrong but it looks like it is working fine fir me. I got it from amazon.

After some suggestions right here from you guys I did a second stint. I tinkered with some settings and I moved the headset a little bit down on my face and I got better resolution. it's still way worse than playing on the TV but it just doesn't matter...

I can't imagine anyone, and I mean ANYONE who tries this and doesn't say "I'm going to race this way the rest of my life".

I am not someone who leans toward hyperbole. I am a realist. I was very skeptical of YouTubers who said it's such a different experience and made all these wild claims about realism.

Well, I'm not a YouTuber and Sony doesn't pay me for my opinion but I can tell you that I can't imagine a better experience outside of going to the track and racing a real car.

I'm an average racer who used to have some problems with early braking because it was difficult for me to get my braking points down. I found myself braking a little bit early and then having to give it a little extra gas and then finally making the turn. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that properly but I would do that a few times per race.

My other weakness was that I never seem to be able to use the entire track. You know how all the content creators say you have to use the whole track and you would watch their videos and they really would use the whole track getting the most out of it?

Well, despite the resolution that wasn't so great, using the VR I was able to do that and I was shocked and I was also able to brake late, not too late but appropriately late, and not have to worry that I broke too early.

It's hard to explain but this is really a sublime experience.

I'm sure many of you have already tried Bathurst. If not, treat yourself!

You know that long straight at Trial Mountain that takes you through all the trees and then you have to really gear down and make that left hander? There's a monstrous oak tree on the right after you make that left hander that I have never noticed.

Go make that turn and look to the right and see how awesome it is!

Now I just have to tinker a little more with the visual fidelity.

Side note to any of you who, like me, have motion sickness problems: it's not bad at all and coming from a guy who gets motion sickness easily, I feel comfortable assuring you if you keep your sessions short and have a nice cool room, stay focused, you'll be surprised how pleasant it is.

My first session was probably 12 to 15 minutes. The session I just did was probably a half hour.

It's a breath of fresh air to have so many people give nice tips because I was thinking about returning this headset before you helped me make some adjustments.

Thank you

Last edited:
Mine was just delivered here on the west coast. Won't be able to set it up till later tonight, still working and have dinner plans afterward. Gdammit 😂
Also in the west coast.
IMG_20230222_165258~2.jpg

Sent the PS5 and VR2 package to my best buddy (who is not a gamer)s house, which is about 15 miles out of my way, so after work I went to pick it all up.
I was so anxious the whole day not knowing when the package would arrive, if at all, and was afraid of late delivery.

Really wanted to have the system for me to check it all out and setup tonight.

But I Cannot open it until everyone is sound asleep tonight...

...And a couple of late nite work meetings dang it...

Edit:
In the third box is my 1/18 scale model car that I didn't get to pick up for months

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Spent over one hour just reading at the comments from yesterday, and when I finally reached the last page there was another one popping in xD

Played the game from 11AM to 9PM yesterday with a few breaks, then I tried a few other games and finally had some dizziness in RE8, as I expected since it was already the case on RE7. Played the tutorial and introduction scene and called it a day. I'm pumped up to go back to GT7, since there are so many cars and tracks I want to try, at different times of the day and weather, etc...

Thanks all for the cars recommendations, especially with the Sambabus which will be one of the first things I'll try today :) The 1:1 scale will make it way different that on flat screen for sure!

As a long time GT sport VR user I have some recommandations as well:

・ Driving a Racing Kart! Just pick up one of your favorite track (Tsukuba or Autopolis are perfectly adapted but any other track except for those like Le Mans will do the job) and start an arcade race for some great sensations, especially if you have a sequential shifter!

・Playing the World GT Series championship, 5 great races with many weather and day time variations! The World Touring Car 700 championship is really nice too!

・ Driving the F150 Raptor. I tried it on a Grand Valley 600PP race to be able to have a better look over the bridge. It's quite fast and smooth to drive, and the other cars feel REALLY small in comparison! Cockpit is really cool as well.

・ Driving the MP4/4. Tried it on a custom race at Willow Spring with other 80's classic cars and day/night cycle. A real treat!

・ Doing the Gr.1 race at Road Atlanta or Grand Valley. The floor lamps turning on at Atlanta and the sun going down behing the sea at Grand Valley give some incredible sceneries. Use the Redbull for an Easy win 👍
Tokyo Expressway is also very impressive at night, the South Clockwise layout is my favorite, but East Clockwise is really cool too with the monorail passing over the track!

・ Taking the stock F50 (you can use intermediate tires) to the European Clubman Cup 600 at Nordschleife. The payout is a joke, but the race in itself is a lot of fun and the F50 drives like heaven, especially with clutch/shifter.

・ Trying the 1h Spa race with any of the old Group C cars.
The 962C, 787B, R92CP, XJR-9 or C9. Make an intermediate tires build for each of them, so that you make the whole race in intermediate with better horsepower than what you would have if you start with RH then switch to inter.
Since you will most likely use intermediates for the biggest part of the race it's a good compromise, and doing so you won't have to care about weather so you can totally turn OFF the HUD for an even better immersion.
You just have to make one pit stop at dawn or when your Low Fuel indicator light up, to refuel and get a new set of intermediate tires (you get all the relevant informations while pitting even with HUD turned OFF).
You can also turn OFF all assists including ABS if you feel confident, and using a shifter and clutch is a blast too, and the most realistic way to drive those cars.
It requires some good VR legs to make it in one shot, but driving at night on this mythic track is a unique feeling and you can still take some breaks if it becomes overwhelming.
VR also makes it easier to appreciate some corners of this track with bad visibility (works with many other tracks too), and overtaking between Eau Rouge and Raidillon is easier than ever.
Definitively a good race to improve your VR driving skills and getting faster than on flat screen. VR also makes it easier for me to drive under the rain and avoid aquaplaning.
Not sure about the other Group C cars, the 962C and C9 don't have it, but the 787B indicates your last lap time on the dashboard, which is a really cool feature for those who like to drive without HUD.

・ Driving all of the legend cars you can afford, most of them are really unique cars and take their full dimension in VR. And same goes with most road and race cars from before 2000's.
All those Porsche race cars, Ferrari's, Jaguar's, Aston's and old muscle cars are a real treat in VR!

・ Driving the 288 GTO at Spa or any other track. It's not an easy one to handle, but it's a pure monster which can go at over 300km/h in stock version if I remember well, and the engine sound is sick! Cockpit is a blast too, like with most Ferrari's.

・ Trying dirt tracks! VR makes countersteering way easier since you can turn your head, and you can notice every single bumps and anticipate easier too (just release throttle or brake a little before the biggest bumps).
If you have the Escudo with a handbrake and sequential shifter, you'll have some great times and you'll fully measure the power of this monster!

・ Try to make some custom races with custom weather and many variations, set the variable time speed rate to 30x and use your garage cars with your favorite liveries as opponents, it will make those races way more fun. You can save the settings so that you can do the race whenever you want and save many different weather or settings variations!

For people having problems with tracking, try to reset the seating position in the PSVR2 menu every once in a while.
Having a lighting not too strong nor too weak is important too, but if you still have issues then turn ON the Tracking Support under settings>accessories>Playstation VR2 menu.
It adds a frame to your TV which your headset will use as an anchor point. It requires you to play in front of the TV but it will most likely resolve any issues you can experience with tracking.

Also, for those struggling with motion sickness, Jordan made a really good video about it and I'd just add that setting stronger FFB really helps preventing it in my experience!

Anyway, try as many cars as you can on various tracks, using dynamic weather and/or day/night cycle whenever possible! You'll have many wow moments to come, even if you're already used to VR!

After being a little disappointed with ghosting and a few other issues, I'm so happy just being able to finally play this amazing game in VR and not having to plug my old PSVR1 fot this half baked GT sport VR experience anymore!
I still have so many cars and tracks to try out, and I can't wait to try VR online lobbies with some of you! (my online ID is papiculo_64 if you want to add me to your friendlist)

I know that there's no way you can replicate the ghosting, but is it that severe? Are you certain that it's a performance limitation? - could it be a fix that could come later? Have you tried any other games where this is also visible?

Also, in the videos that start spreading on youtube, I see some visible stuttering at points - is this reflected in the actual VR gameplay headset or is it just a limitation of the HDMI replication?
No, it's not that severe and not even an issue when you're actually driving and looking in front of you, it just makes some things blurry when you look on your side at high speed. I think that it could be improved through updates thought I have no idea if they actually can do it. Maybe that a 90fps reprojection instead of 120fps would make it less noticeable?

Do you still have access to the "wobble" parameter in VR ? (hoping that it could act as a lock to the car view...)

This part is really concerning :confused: , and unfortunately there is no way to record it to really see how it looks. In GTSport VR on PS4 I don't remember having this problem ?!
No you don't have the wobble parameter in VR, but I never had any issue with the camera, neither with having the focal "locked" on horizon. It's really natural and realistic if you avoid making some backflips with you car xD
And I never noticed ghosting on GT sport neither, at least on PS5 where I spent the most time playing it.

Nobody still answered or knows the final question:

PSVR2 GT7 is just an impressive gadget or actually can be the future of the way in which we play this game?
Maybe that many competitive players will prefer to stay on flat screen because it's more comfortable for long sessions or because they experience motion sickness or other reasons, but as for me, there's no way I go back to flat screen ever again!
I'm still waiting for my headset to arrive but regarding the ghosting effect, David Heaney from Upload VR (their podcast is the most jaded ever) said that only the games reprojected at 120hz from 60fps have this issue. Horizon suffers from the same ghosting effect but all the native 90/120fps games are flawless.
Yes, I didn't notice it in other games so far (didn't try Horizon), and even with more paced games reprojected from 60 to 120fps I don't think that it will be a big deal.

After some suggestions right here from you guys I did a second stint. I tinkered with some settings and I moved the headset a little bit down on my face and I got better resolution. it's still way worse than playing on the TV but it just doesn't matter...

I can't imagine anyone, and I mean ANYONE who tries this and doesn't say "I'm going to race this way the rest of my life".

I am not someone who leans toward hyperbole. I am a realist. I was very skeptical of YouTubers who said it's such a different experience and made all these wild claims about realism.

Well, I'm not a YouTuber and Sony doesn't pay me for my opinion but I can tell you that I can't imagine a better experience outside of going to the track and racing a real car.

I'm an average racer who used to have some problems with early braking because it was difficult for me to get my braking points down. I found myself braking a little bit early and then having to give it a little extra gas and then finally making the turn. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that properly but I would do that a few times per race.

My other weakness was that I never seem to be able to use the entire track. You know how all the content creators say you have to use the whole track and you would watch their videos and they really would use the whole track getting the most out of it?

Well, despite the resolution that wasn't so great, using the VR I was able to do that and I was shocked and I was also able to brake late, not too late but appropriately late, and not have to worry that I broke too early.

It's hard to explain but this is really a sublime experience.

I'm sure many of you have already tried Bathurst. If not, treat yourself!

You know that long straight at Trial Mountain that takes you through all the trees and then you have to really gear down and make that left hander? There's a monstrous oak tree on the right after you make that left hander that I have never noticed.

Go make that turn and look to the right and see how awesome it is!

Now I just have to tinker a little more with the visual fidelity.

Side note to any of you who, like me, have motion sickness problems: it's not bad at all and coming from a guy who gets motion sickness easily, I feel comfortable assuring you if you keep your sessions short and have a nice cool room, stay focused, you'll be surprised how pleasant it is.

My first session was probably 12 to 15 minutes. The session I just did was probably a half hour.

It's a breath of fresh air to have so many people give nice tips because I was thinking about returning this headset before you helped me make some adjustments.

Thank you

Thanks for those really nice second impressions! :)

Ok this thing is nuts . There are instances where you genuinely feel like you've left your physical body. Seriously, Tokyo at night with heavy rain....the whole thing is surreal. Amazing!

Has anyone here used a shifter in VR yet? I'm finding driving shifter cars kinda jarring what with the hand moving down to the stick. Already debating whether to buy a Fanatec shifter.

Of course, the other issue is that you'd have to move it depending on whether the car was RHD or LHD.... Though I'd mostly be using Japanese cars I reckon.
I almost only drive cars having a clutch, and the Fanatec shifter is a blast! You can shift from H-pattern to sequential with a single slider button which is really cool, it has 7 gears + Rear, and the feel and finition is great, way better than the TH8A.

Last edited:
Just cleared MB8. O to the MG!! Those hills at Alsace and Sardegna had me eye and brain arguing most vociferously with me body. Eyes and Brain said "G-Forces coming, tighten them thighs and core Body" and Body said "What? Where? When? Stop being stupid!" Reminded me of ducking and trying to see the rest of the loop in Hard Drivin' way back in the dim, dark days of 1991.

Had to take a break after that to settle the argument. Think body mighta won that round.

Now I gotta clear the B licenses so I can hit that Tokyo Parade for MB9.

First impressions are this is so cool lol. First took a car I've been in to a track I've been on (unfortunately didn't drive it but got a couple hot laps from a pro driver) Laguna Seca in the LC500. The feeling of the elevation changes at the corkscrew are so much closer to the real deal, it's amazing!

Took a super formula car to Nurburgring 24hr next and man, people weren't lying when they said sims didn't reflect the elevation changes throughout the course, literally felt like I was driving into a wall at certain hills. Also being able to naturally look around the Karussell instead of having your view locked directly forward is super cool.

Tried Daytona tri-oval but really found myself not liking the way the game handles the banked curves at all, forcing the entire camera to tilt independent of your head made me feel odd, only thing that's bothered me really. A shame because idk how often I'll do Daytona in VR with it like this but maybe I'll just get used to it. Guess it didn't bother me at the Karussell because the curve is much shorter, idk just felt odd.

It's taking a bit of trial and error to get the sharpness right. Feel like it's still a bit too blurry sometimes but making small gradual adjustments has helped a lot.

Also try out the Aston Martin VGT lol, it does work in VR and your view is like you are just sitting on top of the windshield looking over the bumper, so guess that's your bumper cam. Really hard to race since afaik I can't make a tach and speedometer appear in the UI but maybe you can. Really cool though because you have unblocked visibility, really good for viewing a track from an interesting angle.

Oh and the Alsace test course in a kart is great, that hill is crazy.

Last edited:
You guys are making me jealous.

Is it worth getting?
If you can afford it, I'd say it's a no-brainer just for the immersion in GT7 alone. And that's not to mention all the other games that will be available.

Like others mentioned, UPS just left it outside without even knocking. So much for 'signature required'. After setup I spent close to an hour in VR showcase. I like how you can view lower as if you're on a knee. You can see the headers all the way inside the back of the P4 in LCD. In cockpit I kept wondering what happened to my legs and trying to flip some switches. :lol: And even the scapes photos appear to have some depth to them.

I first ride was the Barker on the Ring. I highly recommend it if you have the car. Then I headed to Grand Valley where I drove the 911 Carrera which I had tried there after the update. I was just under 2 sec off my best time after 3 laps in VR. I then did the Clubman Cub 550 race which was my first proper race and a blast. I'm glad I skipped most of the offline races as I will be doing those in VR from now on. So far I'm very happy with PSVR2 and it will be hard to go back to flat screen. I guess I'll save that for Sport mode and league races until they modify the HUD to include more info.

Last edited:
If you can afford it, I'd say it's a no-brainer just for the immersion in GT7 alone. And that's not to mention all the other games that will be available.

Like others mentioned, UPS just left it outside without even knocking. So much for 'signature required'. After setup I spent close to an hour in VR showcase. I like how you can view lower as if you're on a knee. You can see the headers all the way inside the back of the P4 in LCD. In cockpit I kept wondering what happened to my legs and trying to flip some switches. :lol: And even the scapes photos appear to have some depth to them.

I first ride was the Barker on the Ring. I highly recommend it if you have the car. Then I headed to Grand Valley where I drove the 911 Carrera which I had tried there after the update. I was just under 2 sec off my best time after 3 laps in VR. I then did the Clubman Cub 550 race which was my first proper race and a blast. I'm glad I skipped most of the offline races as I will be doing those in VR from now on. So far I'm very happy with PSVR2 and it will be hard to go back to flat screen. I guess I'll save that for Sport mode and league races until they modify the HUD to include more info.
I saw the videos and it really is immersive.

Im actually looking into it. I even have steering wheel which is the T300 from thrustmaster.

I think Vr is going to make it even better.

Driving at lemans with an LMP1 with vr is something I always wanted to do with proper graphics and stable fps.

Ps vr is now going to get better. Ps vr1 was a trial now they got the ball rolling with VR2.

Doesn't ****ing work. I've tired to get through setup a dozen times. Gets to scan play area (which should be not applicable to this game anyway), I select scan area, and within a couple seconds, it goes blank, then comes up with "Something went wrong" and asks me if I want to send an error report, and turns off. I turn it back on and try it again, same thing. Am I missing something?
Edit: Well, it worked on the 13th try. Don't know what I did different.

Last edited:
I've got a question guys... are you having to set up a temporary seated play space every time you boot up GT7? I made a scan of my room but I opted to make a seated position as well. Whenever I fire GT7 up it makes me grab the controller and make another temp space.

Woah, now this is super cool. I just took my Gr.3 Corvette to GT Auto for an oil change after running some laps at Daytona Road Course. We had done a 54 lap race there last weekend and I wanted to see if I could match my times. Happy to say I came close. While there (VR Showroom) I decided to stroll around the place and check things out. Yes, you can wander from your car. Checked out the tools on the cart and you can actually read on the label what the cans are for. Then I went over to the guy on the computer and you could see what he was doing. Amazing that they thought to model simple stuff like this.

I've got a question guys... are you having to set up a temporary seated play space every time you boot up GT7? I made a scan of my room but I opted to make a seated position as well. Whenever I fire GT7 up it makes me grab the controller and make another temp space.
This is my second go at VR2 and yes it said it couldn't play my play space and made set up another one, seated also. I hope this isn't a thing.

Started off by taking the 2&4 to Tokyo Expressway, it immediately felt natural and it was cool to see all the details of the vehicle. One of the first things I noticed is that it is so much easier to judge braking zones, and the minimal UI is much more immersive. Followed that up by taking the new Carrera for three laps around Watkins Glen. Again, it felt perfectly natural and like I was behind the wheel of an actual vehicle. Seeing all the dash elements lit up and the starry sky was amazing! My lap-times were roughly the same as they are when playing flat.

The depth and realism adds so much to the various circuits. Playing them in this way feels totally fresh, and really makes you realise that it's impossible to accurately represent some of them on a flat screen. I haven't played a lot of tracks yet, but Laguna Seca and Grand Valley for example felt totally different to me in VR. The elevation changes are so much more apparent, and going down the corkscrew at LS made my stomach "jump" every time. Seeing the scale of the big tunnel at Grand Valley was impressive as well.

I didn't really experience any motion sickness, but after my run at Laguna Seca my stomach felt slightly off. Nothing I couldn't handle, however. I assume I'll get used to it with time.

One thing I noticed is that, at least in GT7, the eye tracking seemed to work more as head tracking. Things wouldn't become clear as I move my eye toward it, but rather as I move my head in its direction. I'm not sure if that is how it's supposed to work, or if I didn't have the headset on quite right. It was most noticeable in the menus. I'll have to fiddle with it more later, but I just wanted to play.

Graphics-wise, the game looks roughly the same to me, but the resolution is definitely a lot lower than it is when playing on a 4K TV. You will quickly forget about this when you are actually driving though.

The VR Showroom is amazing. The details PD puts into these cars are incredible, and being able to see them like this makes me wish we could have an interior photo-mode. Seeing cars that I made a livery for was amazing and gives you such a greater respect for the beauty of the car! The seat detailing in the R33 is so satisfying to look at. I just wish that the turn was a smooth transition rather than a jump 20 degrees, I think that would feel a lot more natural.

Those are my initial impressions after playing for around an hour and a half. It was a great experience and all I've been thinking about since taking off the headset is the next time I'll get to play.

According to what I am reading would be a better choice for PD to set a special chart and lobbies only for VR racers? This should avoid creating second accounts

At least those who were sad we’re locked in cockpit view have a few concept cars to use the fancy VR hood view 🤣

Honestly… VR is so fun. PSVR1 turned me off because everything was super blurry. It’s much better with PSVR2 but it’s still hard to read the dials and see cars in the mirrors. Nothing too surprising when your eyes are millimeters away from the lenses. I’m glad I got the headset at launch. I’ll have a hard time playing any other racing game on my monitor from now on 😅

Latest Posts

Back