GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
In sport races its way more difficult wearing PSVR2, I’m 2 seconds off my lap time on race B when playing on the TV

The lack of a hud with player names, the position they are in, overall view of the circuit, the time to the person infront and behind, puts you at a massive disadvantage to those playing on TV.

It’s good, but i am underwhelmed with the graphics tbh, i wouldnt say it was anywhere near 4k quality, more like a poor 1080, don’t get me wrong things right in front of you are crystal clear but anything 10m in front of you isn’t as clear as things inside the car.

The videos from pre release have clearly been tweaked to make it look better.

With the above said, i know its day one and i will practice and practice to become as fast as i am on a TV if i can…….
The videos are NOT tweaked. Your VR gameplay looks the exact same as the videos if you watch it on your TV. But the optics and the panels simply can't produce that on a VR headset itself. The video signal is way sharper than what the headset can display.

I'd say your estimation of "poor 1080" is rather accurate. I myself estimated earlier today that the clarity reminds me of PS3 era, as in GT5 and GT6. It is not perfect and we are some technological steps away from "4k" clarity in mass market VR, but it is very good on current market standards.

The pace itself will come, I was about that 2 seconds off myself for the first few races. But the HUD needs WAY more options and customization, agreed.

Ok got mine set up with playseat challenge and using simhub to enable 4 bass shakers on each corner. Was going to have a short session on GT7 then download the horizon call of the mountain game I got with the set. Well my wife said I've been on for about 3hrs and thats just GT7. Impressed but a couple of things I've noticed, the VR replays won't let me turn off background music and I hate any music in racing games. Sometimes the VR replays get stuck in one place on the track. Drivers heads pop in around 80ft from the camera in VR replays. Im sure these issues can be patched. Immersion is great but you sometimes need to adjust the view to get the resolution back to how you want it but that might be me not having headset tight enough. Having a break now while i eat and download the game and starwars demo.
I have bass shakers and sim hub, is it easy to setup for GT7?

I think that motion sickness is a some what mental thing. When you re using VR, you need to be completely cool and constantly release that you are playing a game. If you let you mind wonder it will start to believing what se screen is showing, and you brains is ****ed!

Be completely cool and release that you are playing a game, if you let your self go, you will get motion sickness easily.

Last edited:
I think that motion sickness is a some what mental thing. When you re using VR, you need to be completely cool and constantly release that you are playing a game. If you let you mind wonder it will start to believing what se screen is showing, and you brains is ****ed!

Be completely cool and release that you are playing a game if you let your self go, you will get motion sickness easily.
Nope, just thinking "this is a game" is not the cure. Everyone is different. Because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for others. Some people are just much easier affected by it than others.

It's like being seasick. The different senses tell your brain different things and the brain can't cope with that. You need to get it used to it to help it

Last edited:
Nope, just thinking "this is a game" is not the cure. Everyone is different. Because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for others. Some people are just much easier affected by it than others.
It will work for some existence. Its mental battle, you just have to convince you brain, its similar thing what people call VR legs.

It's like being seasick. The different senses tell your brain different things and the brain can't cope with that. You need to get it used to it to help it
I'm hoping that my time spent down inside a 30' boat operating a sonar in choppy sea conditions will have conditioned me for it! I can absolutely see how it would be similar to sea sickness. Especially when down inside a boat or ship and you can't see the horizon.

Edit:...it's like the opposite though. With VR, you see the moving horizon but your body is not moving. Where down inside a boat your body is moving and horizon is not.

Last edited:
Spent about an hour so far with PSRV & GT7. Running some quali laps for Daily B + C and a lobby race. After about an hr, I’m nearly as fast in VR as flat. I feel much more confident in VR and haven’t spun or had an off. Early days but I think I’ll end up being faster in VR than flat since I feel like there will be more consistency for me.
The graphics are a downgrade and I was a bit disappointed at first. After 15 min or so I hardly noticed and started to appreciate the how much more immersive it is. There is a physicality to driving now that you’ll never get on a flat screen. I have a DD Pro and combined with the headset, it’s almost violent at times hitting apexes in a GR2 car at Maggorie.
One nagging thing so far has been the tracking when going in and out of VR to menus. Tracking has been flawless in cockpit view and I haven’t had any drift. However, when jumping back the menu, it’s always tilted a bit and I have to recenter. Nothing huge but an annoyance.

VR Showroom is awesome BTW

Last edited:
I'm hoping that my time spent down inside a 30' boat operating a sonar in choppy sea conditions will have conditioned me for it! I can absolutely see how it would be similar to sea sickness. Especially when down inside a boat or ship and you can't see the horizon.

Edit:...it's like the opposite though. With VR, you see the moving horizon but your body is not moving. Where down inside a boat your body is moving and horizon is not.
Yeah I know it's the opposite, but it's the same in the sense that your senses tell your brain different things - that's why I brought it up 😉

Curious to know from those who have the VR setup going - has it changed your perspective on any cars? Have some cars jumped out at you in VR as being more special than others in a way that wasn't apparent on a flat screen? Has anyone developed a "favorite VR car?" I feel like the immersiveness of the VR combined with PD's attention to detail could manifest this but I am curious to hear people's thoughts.

One nagging thing so far has been the tracking when going in and out of VR to menus. Tracking has been flawless in cockpit view and I haven’t had any drift. However, when jumping back the menu, it’s always tilted a bit and I have to recenter. Nothing huge but an annoyance
Yes I noticed this as well. I think what is happening is every time it goes from VR to flat and back, it recenters where you're looking at that exact moment, which tends to lower and lower the 2D menu

Spent about an hour so far with PSRV & GT7. Running some quali laps for Daily B + C and a lobby race. After about an hr, I’m nearly as fast in VR as flat. I feel much more confident in VR and haven’t spun or had an off. Early days but I think I’ll end up being faster in VR than flat since I feel like there will be more consistency for me.
The graphics are a downgrade and I was a bit disappointed at first. After 15 min or so I hardly noticed and started to appreciate the how much more immersive it is. There is a physicality to driving now that you’ll never get on a flat screen. I have a DD Pro and combined with the headset, it’s almost violent at times hitting apexes in a GR2 car at Maggorie.
One nagging thing so far has been the tracking when going in and out of VR to menus. Tracking has been flawless in cockpit view and I haven’t had any drift. However, when jumping back the menu, it’s always tilted a bit and I have to recenter. Nothing huge but an annoyance.

VR Showroom is awesome BTW
I think the game automatically recenters every time it moves into VR or back into theater mode. So if (and when) you're not looking straight when it does, it can and will point in whicever direction. This is something I think they'll patch out quickly, it is annoying.

Edit: Ninja'ed.

Curious to know from those who have the VR setup going - has it changed your perspective on any cars? Have some cars jumped out at you in VR as being more special than others in a way that wasn't apparent on a flat screen? Has anyone developed a "favorite VR car?" I feel like the immersiveness of the VR combined with PD's attention to detail could manifest this but I am curious to hear people's thoughts.
All classic racing cars, to be honest. I wasn't super into them in flat screen, but in VR the quirkiness of their ergonomics and raw functionality gives them so much more character beyond just beeing your driving tool. Bought the Shelby Daytona today and it was superb in VR, enjoyed it very much in Tokyo.

Last edited:
My perspective has changed on every car I have driven so far. I used to just play in bumper cam, where the only difference in cars was sounds and some handling characteristics. In VR you are in the cockpit so it's like a different game. Each car has it's own qualities in the cockpit and instrumentation. I had a bunch of fun just cruising Grand Valley in an MX5.

Did a few quick runs, nothing serious. No motion sickness, not quite as sharp as on tv. I noticed more on the incidental stuff like text on billboards and the people on the track. The people in the Stands are black silhouettes. I’m hoping that stuff might get better down the road with an update or too. Also cantering was sometimes an issue but it kinda fixed itself.

For people with glasses my progressive lenses seemed off, worked better with the ones I use for looking at a computer screen.

anybody know what that red circle is, kept appearing over my left shoulder when I turned my head.

The Ferrari VGT looks way prettier in the VR Showroom than on a regular screen.

The interior of the M6 GT3 is very meh (not PD's fault) compared to the other GT3s. I knew that from GTS but got reminded today. I probably won't be using it much.

The Gr3 Ford GT. It has a Daytona track sticker on the wheel even when you grind Le Mans... I don't play cockpit cam on my TV so I didn't know. Literally unplayable.

For all cars: if you like doing liveries, you'll really enjoy them in the VR Showroom.

Last edited:
Can't wait to go home on sunday and open the box.
So far it seems:

1. disappointing on graphics compared to flat
2. beatiful showrooms
3. some have motion sickness, some do not have
4. Could be better in settings and menus

Nobody still answered or knows the final question:

PSVR2 GT7 is just an impressive gadget or actually can be the future of the way in which we play this game?

I dunno if it’s because I set 120hz as per the video I posted in this thread a few pages back or or if it’s because I re did the eye calibration but I just had another session and I feel like I had a much clearer image. The slight screen door effect was still there but a run round deep Forest looked pretty damn excellent.

Could be placebo or whatever but it felt better.
Oh and the Kayak game it’s amazingly pretty. And one heck of a workout.

My perspective has changed on every car I have driven so far. I used to just play in bumper cam, where the only difference in cars was sounds and some handling characteristics. In VR you are in the cockpit so it's like a different game. Each car has it's own qualities in the cockpit and instrumentation. I had a bunch of fun just cruising Grand Valley in an MX5.
This is kind of what I was expecting and encouraged to hear the immersion is that significant. It's an interesting one - if, for instance, you drive a Dodge Viper or a Porsche 911 in a game, particularly bumper cam, typically you may observe some differences in handling but it's not a profoundly different experience. But in real life it is a profoundly different experience - the 911 has a ergonomically masterful cockpit with great visibility all the controls are exactly where they should be, etc, whereas the viper is kind of a claustrophobic bunker. Now VR doesn't translate the control weights (though it would be great if some hardware did!) but it's a step further in terms of intimately including you in the experience and the nuance of each car. I'm excited to try it.

I feel as if I cannot get a good focus, like I’m looking through a dirty pair of glasses with a smoky haze. Is this what you guys are experiencing as well? Or is there another focus adjustment I am missing other than the distance of the lens?
The distance of the lens is the physical scope you slide in and out with the button on top right of the headset. The small gear is IPD. After those two, thats basically it but you should try tilting the deaset a little bit to see if it helps. Diagonally and also off-axis

I feel as if I cannot get a good focus, like I’m looking through a dirty pair of glasses with a smoky haze. Is this what you guys are experiencing as well? Or is there another focus adjustment I am missing other than the distance of the lens?
I'd suggest not relying on the initial IPD adjustment blindly (pun intented). I got better results clarity-wise just sitting in the cockpit view in showroom and adjusting the IPD wheel and the sweet spot (as in, the headband adjustments) until the dashboard text was as sharp as possible. The good news is that the headset keeps its position very well, so once everything is adjusted, readjustment is rarely needed.

I've done the Spa 60 minutes in the Porsche 962 and I got within 3 seconds of my best lap time without VR. Much better view than the GR010.

Night time with head and tail lights is special.

I've created a new user account on my PS5 to play the whole thing again but this time in VR.

Turning around to look at the rear of the VW Sambabus was weirdly a stand-out moment so far. With its three rows of bench seats, the interior space was huge, and it felt very characterful. Didn’t quite get the same impression on a 2D screen.
Looking forward to trying the 29’ Barker Tourer tonight. Classic cars in general rock in VR, as there are more imperfections to admire, like exposed bolts or loose wiring.

I'll tell you, I really want an AE86. Racing my grid of N2 tuned cars, like the Hot Verison videos, it really makes me want to get one. The attitudes of the cars, the brake lights, the fat tyres, the '80s interior(brings back memories), the compactness and simplicity of the car and its design. I can see why Keiichi Tsuchiya has kept his all these years.

I also like the Carrera 2.7. Just about for the same reasons as the AE86. I'll have a another look when I get through the muscle & pony cars.

Yes I noticed this as well. I think what is happening is every time it goes from VR to flat and back, it recenters where you're looking at that exact moment, which tends to lower and lower the 2D menu

Check the video I posted earlier if you have tracking issues. Seems to work for me at least.

Just about every car’s cockpit has been a surprise. The depth in the instrument panels for starters.
But as for a favourite so far, probably the Honda RA272 or the Radical or any Porsche.

I have bass shakers and sim hub, is it easy to setup for GT7?
Yes it's pretty easy, simhub just connected with no problem. Obviously you have to have the laptop you are running simhub on and your console on the same wifi. If you need any help let me know. I'm still experimenting with the software but it adds to the immersion definitely. I'm having a break until tomorrow with GT7 and just waiting for horizon to finish downloading to test the new hand controllers.

Latest Posts

Back