GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
I hope so too. I tried resetting PS5 and disconnecting the TV, hoping it would solve it, but it didn't do anything. It didn't improve sharpens resolution either but I have no complaints there. It looks pretty sharp to me.
Everything perfect to me expect the proportions of the cars in GT7 are completely wrong.

Ok ok... let me backpaddle a bit..

Or maybe this is a PSA:

I was wearing the headset slightly wrong. A friend of mine just let me know.

The gains in sharpness I made by adjusting the way I wear the headset are pretty significant.

I had the strap on or even slightly above the bump on the back of my head when actually IT GOES UNDERNEATH IT.

The headset will sit a bit higher and at a different angle and for me that had a big impact. Try it.

Last edited:
The more and more I play it just amazes me! I definitely have to get my VR legs though ughhh… I wish I could play for hours but I start to get a little nauseous after 15 min or so…. What I get a kick out is adjusting my seat position in each different car to get that perfect view. Holding down the the button that readjust your view makes it great to find a great view and reminds me of moving my seat around lol!

The more and more I play it just amazes me! I definitely have to get my VR legs though ughhh… I wish I could play for hours but I start to get a little nauseous after 15 min or so…. What I get a kick out is adjusting my seat position in each different car to get that perfect view. Holding down the the button that readjust your view makes it great to find a great view and reminds me of moving my seat around lol!
stay far far away from nordschleife if you vrsickness that track really makes your stomach turn :D

Or maybe this is a PSA:

The gains in sharpness I made by adjusting the way I wear the headset are pretty significant.

I had the strap on or even slightly above the bump on the back of my head when actually IT GOES UNDERNEATH IT.

The headset will sit a bit higher and at a different angle and for me that made a big impact. Try it.
Good news.

@HanBolo, @Zlork I think there are about 4 of us in this thread so far that are getting the 'small hands' sensation.
I also feel like things are a bit small. Especially looking down at my VR legs! It's like a 13 year old! :lol: . I try not to look too much at the driver's limbs because it makes my brain split in half when he reaches for the gear lever or if I move my legs and his legs don't move.

Last edited:
So, morning after about 6 hours of VR2+GT7 play with many breaks. Went to bed feeling a little strange/unsettled. Did get to sleep but didn't sleep well. Woke this morning with a low grade headache, kinda like a minor hangover. Called in to work "dead" and have been goofing off reading the forums and waiting for the headache to go away. Seriously considering taking @todally_lit 's advice and getting some single prescription lenses in a small frame. Gotta go find my prescription from the last eye exam for that though.

All in all I'm pleased with the purchase. Since I'm not a VR veteran it will take some time for one or the other of my senses to STFU and stop arguing with the others. I think this has been called "VR Legs". Maybe it should be called "VR Derriere" instead. Or maybe "VR Fundus". Yeah, I read a wiki.

I would certainly like the MFD to toggle to a page that showed the racer list with a focus on my position and the car ahead and behind. If I ain't in second place I don't care who's in first or how far away they are. That page should also include the current fastest lap. Perhaps they'll patch something in and the MFD seems to me the most logical place to put it. I don't really mind it floating off to the left or right, depending on what side the steering wheel is on. Haven't tried to turn off the race info displayed above the horizon yet since it displays info I can use even if it is placed in an odd position. Think it would be better vertically along the A-Pillar or at the bottom of the windshield maybe. Not sure where to put that info really.

I'm late to the party and the last thing this thread needs is another first impressions monologue but I guess all info is useful for those who are still on the fence about getting this.

I am a "VR Veteran" having had the PSVR1 and Oculus Rift S. I didn't play much DiRT Rally or GT Sport on PSVR but I did platinum Driveclub VR. On PC I spent hundreds of hours with Assetto Corsa Competizione, dozens of hours with Richard Burns Rally, a few hours with DiRT Rally 2.0, and with the following titles basically just tried them for a couple hours but never went back to them consistently: Assetto Corsa, Automobilista2, rFactor 2, RaceRoom.

As a veteran I was not blown away by the move to VR in GT7 but that was to be expected; I was already accustomed to what VR offers and there was really no "wow" factor at all when I tried GT7.

IMAGE QUALITY
What I will say is that PSVR2 image is a massive step up from my Rift S and RTX2060 GPU (not to mention PSVR). The image is much clearer and the draw distance is light years beyond what I could achieve on my modest PC. Plus GT7 can actually show shadows and other cars far in front of me without crashing the PS5 LOL! So with GT7 the visuals to me are great but in no way approaching that of a 4K television. I am happy but not impressed (not disappointed, either). The visual upgrade is about what I was expecting. SDE is present in GT7 but doesn't bother me. I will say, however, that there was lots of over-hyping going on in the early sneak peaks regarding the image quality of GT7.

Where the headset really shines graphically is with Kayak VR. That game DOES have imagery approaching the quality of a 4K TV. Not quite there yet, but very impressive. Ditto on Horizon. That looks fantastic and the intro boat ride on the demo was a real "wow this is incredible" moment. I will be buying that game despite assuring myself I wouldn't bother before trying the demo. SDE is barely noticeable in these two titles.

I do agree with those who say the cockpit has a "toy" ambiance to it. I don't think it's the world scale per se, but rather something inherent in the Gran Turismo engine. The feeling inside the car is identical to GT Sport, for better or for worse. DiRT Rally 2.0 also gave me that "toy" impression. Given that both GT7 and DR2.0 have pretty simple physics dynamic models that could be contributing to having this impression. I don't remember ever having that "toy" feeling in ACC or the other PC sims I mentioned earlier. It could also be the camera being forced to "locked to horizon" mode (more on that later).

EDIT: I forgot to mention the sweet spot. It's very small with this PS VR2 headset. Those new to VR will have a steep learning curve getting this thing to align perfectly. /EDIT

REPROJECTION
This has been a touchy topic this week and I have seen very mixed opinions on this. Personally, having had to lock to 40fps and reproject to 80fps in every sim except RBR (which I was able to run native 80fps), GT7 is smooth as butter to me. The reprojection does not bother me and if I even noticed it I wouldn't care anyway. Obviously native 90fps would be better but after my struggles with ACC and the Rift S, GT7+PSVR2 is an absolute treat and I find it to be an excellent VR implementation given the complexity of the game and the relatively weak hardware we are using to push all these pixels. I do, however, understand where those who are complaining about it are coming from. It kind of depends on what you were used to and what your expectations were.

Reprojection did not bother me in Kayak or Horizon, either.

AUDIO
I haven't heard much about this, and it's probably because lots of people use headphones which I really don't like using. I used to have a 7.1 surround system but that was only used with PS4 so I had never really experienced this 3D Audio thing before. Using the included earbuds, this was the only part of the experience that was new to me and blew me away. There are sounds there that just don't come out of the TV: clicks from the transmission, groans from the chassis under stress, squeaking from the shock absorbers, and what surprised me the most was being able to hear which tire(s) was losing traction just from the directional audio.

Having the mic pass through the ambient sounds in the room sealed the deal for me: my next upgrade will be a Pulse 3D headset. Color me convinced.

The HMD is also very comfortable.

ADAPTATION
Although I am a "VR veteran" it's been a little over two years since I played ACC competitively. The only thing I had time for in GT7 was the NSX time trial at Daytona. This is a track I am not very familiar with at all so I already had something going against me. Plus, I saw a battery in the HUD so it seems the NSX has a hybrid boost or something? I tried doing some button re-mapping on my WRC rim with the Fanatec GT DD Pro but couldn't get the boost working (if it has boost at all).

Under normal circumstances I can get silver times on the second lap. To get a gold I usually need between 5 and 20 extra laps depending on how the car/track combo sits with me. With the NSX at Daytona the first few laps were very messy but I quickly got up to speed and got silver on lap five. I had to get off to bed so only did a couple more laps but at the end of my seventh and final lap I was only four-tenths of a second off the gold time, and I was leaving lots of time on the table.

So I doubt I will have any adaptation problems and I will quickly be as fast as my 2D self and probably a bit faster after a couple more days. I was always faster with VR in RBR, DR2.0 and ACC and GT7 seems like it will not be an exception to that.

LOCK TO HORIZON
Another controversial topic. I generally play VR with the horizon locked. However, I have never raced anywhere that had any big banking. The time trial at Daytona with the dash slanting down to the left, my head not moving with it, and being detached and off-center from my avatar was pretty jarring. Maybe they can find a happy medium where we are locked to horizon but after a certain slope our view can rotate with the dash. Better yet would be to give us the option to unlock from horizon. Anyway, this is only an issue in very small parts of the game so in the grand scheme of things it's no biggie to me personally.

HARDWARE ISSUES
My HMD works perfectly and both controllers track well. Unfortunately my left Sense controller has a problem where the buttons don't work while in games. They work on the PS5 OS menus, but don't do anything in the games. So forget Horizon, Star Wars, RE8, etc... for now.

Apparently Sony is aware of the issue and it can be fixed by a firmware/software update. For those having similar issues there is a thread here with some possible fixes:

Sorry for the long-winded recap. I hope someone finds my humble opinion useful.

Can't wait to do some more GT7-ing this weekend!

Last edited:

Or maybe this is a PSA:

The headset will sit a bit higher and at a different angle and for me that made a big impact. Try it.
Glad you figured it out before you refunded it. The Fresnel lenses make the viewing angle crucial due to their circular pattern. You basically have to be looking parallel through the lens to get that perfect sweet spot. Also, remember that the benefits of foveated rendering are only present if full VR and won't be there for the Flat-Screen mode. So, in flat-screen you still have to look with your head, keeping your eyes focused on the center.

The highlight reflections through the Fresnel lens are blatant in flat-screen mode but it's more subtle in VR where the light dynamically changes.

My 2 cents after a day's worth playing GT on VR2;

Coming from a 75" Oled with a hefty 7.2 setup and no prior VR experience, I really really enjoy it, if you set it up correctly it's pretty darn sharp and I can actually pretty easily read the instrument cluster and road signs. Playing w the 3d pulse makes it even better.
And the corkscrew on Lago Maggiore in a 787b @800pp definitely gives me the freaking creeps, can't do 10 laps yet have to put it down, don't have my 'VR legs' yet.

Way to go Sony and PD!!!

Please ignore the above, after I spent one hour solid on it, I equalled my lap time on race b

I also didn’t have 120hz enabled. It’s much smoother now.

Whats have I learnt ? st#u on day one of anything 🤦🏻‍♂️

Can’t wait to get home and practice more, I feel like I turn in too fast, not too late or early but more too fast but I’m not sure if that’s how it should feel.

It makes me a bit twitchy in bends 🤷🏻‍♂️
How do you know if 120hz is enabled or not?

Or maybe this is a PSA:

I had this same issue, all the brake markers and everything was blurry til I started playing with that more. I expect as I get more used to what the positioning should be almost all the blurriness issues I was having will be gone. But yeah, the headstrap adjustment was the biggest change for me so far

My 2 cents after a day's worth playing GT on VR2;

Coming from a 75" Oled with a hefty 7.2 setup and no prior VR experience, I really really enjoy it, if you set it up correctly it's pretty darn sharp and I can actually pretty easily read the instrument cluster and road signs. Playing w the 3d pulse makes it even better.
And the corkscrew on Lago Maggiore in a 787b @800pp definitely gives me the freaking creeps, can't do 10 laps yet have to put it down, don't have my 'VR legs' yet.

Way to go Sony and PD!!!
is there any settings you do on the sony 3d pulse that makes the sound more "roomier"?? I bought that headset too yesterday with the psvr2 since I hate using earplugs but I find the sound in them very meh compared to my sony surround reciever using only 2 speakers i get crazy nice room/hall effect or 3d effect not so much in the 3D pulse any advice??

So i gotta post this for anyone out there on the fence...

I bought gt7 last summer played it for a week or two and uninstalled it then I reinstalled it january and gave it another chance and got a bit hooked so I thought ok maybe if I try this sim racing thingy it could be even more fun so earlier this month I bought the logitech g923 wheels and pedals and stickshifter plus a offbrand cheap sim rig didn't wanna go all out until I had tried it first and at first it was really amazing and I was doing real crappy on my laptimes compared to when using the gamepad also got a bit of back ache from the seat so I was a little on the fence and thought yeah ok maybe maybe not.... so then yesterday I took a real gamble on the psvr2 headset cause I thought maybe it will be the thing that breaks the barrier for me and lo and behold it really is not only am I considerable faster then I ever was but i am also extremly hooked now on the sim racing thing the g923 trueforce transmit some rumble or vibration that goes into the simrig so I feel everything and togehter with the psvr2 I truly feels almost like your driving for real idk wut to tell you guys and I not wanna hype it but the whole thing is a game changer in my opinion compared to playing with a gamepad on a flat tv :D

is there any settings you do on the sony 3d pulse that makes the sound more "roomier"?? I bought that headset too yesterday with the psvr2 since I hate using earplugs but I find the sound in them very meh compared to my sony surround reciever using only 2 speakers i get crazy nice room/hall effect or 3d effect not so much in the 3D pulse any advice??
I think you have to turn on 3D audio in system settings under the audio section, I had to do that for my bose headphones

I'll look at my settings and report back, my pulse sound rich and on point...

Yeah, I don't have a pulse headset so I don't even have the option to use it wirelessly, but might be worth trying jacking it to the headset if it's not working

Back