GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
to anyone out unsure of they wanna jump into this psvr2 thing or not I can tell you this:

This month i spent 1200euro on a logitech g923 wheel and pedals and shifter a playseat and psvr2 never done simracing before and it is totally worth it I am not going back to playing on tv again and now I even consider to maybe sell my all new logitech g923 and to get a fanatec so yeah if your out there not sure if you should buy psvr2 or not I can only say that in gt7 it is definetly worth it:D

Last edited:
Got mine yesterday and only played for a bit after work.

Nothing new to say really. The graphics take a hit, but that was expected as I’ve had VR headsets in the past. Immersion is great and what I expected and was most looking forward too. Its clearly better than PSVR1 and the Rift I used to have. Never tried any other headsets.

All in all very happy with it and plan to play GT7 more. Kids will get some use out of it with other games. Having already had a PS5 and wheel setup made this decision easy from a financial standpoint but I can see holding off if you still need a ps5 or even a wheel and pedals.

I did play with both controller and my wheel. I primarily play with the wheel and very rarely use the dualsense anymore for gt7. The game is playable for sure with a dualsense but really comes alive with a wheel. Between the sense of being in the car and the feedback from the wheel I plan on having a lot more fun playing this, not that I wasn’t to begin with.

Last edited:
I get the small hands sensation as well the scale of things are a bit off when driving but my experince from VR in general is that the scale is always a bit off and you always seem smaller then IRL?
Well actually not really. The perception of scale can be adjusted on the in game stereo camera (the one filming for each eye). Seems that there is an issue on PD side. That kind of adjustments could hhave been made in favour of the track scale perception. Not sure what happened here...

Well actually not really. The perception of scale can be adjusted on the in game stereo camera (the one filming for each eye). Seems that there is an issue on PD side. That kind of adjustments could hhave been made in favour of the track scale perception. Not sure what happened here...
So in other VR games other then GT7 you can adjust scaling settings?? huh? I not remember that was at all possible back when htc vive hit the markets and I sold mine after about 6 months because I found it to more of a chore to play with then actually fun but I guess things and games have changed since then :)

On the subject of lap times, I'd given the NSX @ Daytona Sport mode time trial thing about 30 laps or so, and had managed to get to a 1:52.90x, so just scraped inside the gold cut-off at that point. I really don't like the track as I find the infield really hard to judge, and I really didn't enjoy the car in this setting either.

I thought I'd give it a go in VR, as it's really spotting the braking points for the infield and getting the right line for a couple of the corners I find very hard.

It took a few laps to get back up to speed again, I managed a 1:52.914 so was on the right path. I found braking for and navigating through the bus stop much easier in VR, and the lines needed for corners 3 and 5 (I think) felt much more obvious.

Eventually managed a 1:52.4xx, so a good jump up, but overall I found the whole process easier due to the better depth perception, better view of the track and ability to brake around a more consistent spot, and better feel for the rotation of the car.

As much as I prefer the lock to horizon camera style, the banking at Daytona is way too steep for this to work, and so it looks and feels utterly ridiculous :D

As a somewhat ergonomics professional, a few tips.

First: rather run the cable down in front of your shoulder than behind. When you have it behind you, turning your head right will become that tiny bit more restrictive and makes you less likely to use the freedom of looking around. This means moving your eyes more and since the fresnel lenses have a narrowish sweet spot, it can strain your eyes more and as such, cause negative side effects.

Second: if using a rig, the headband adjustment knob in the back of the headset can be intrusive with a seat with a full height headrest. It can result in you leaning your head forwards to keep it from touching the headrest. This will increase the strain on your neck muscles and increase the likelyhood of nausea. Also, it too can subconsciously make you avoid turning your head. If possible, try to get the headband above the top edge of the headrest of your seat. Personally, I could only achieve this by using extra padding on the seat and thus raising my head a bit higher relative to the headrest. This can cause ergonomics shortcomings elswhere though. Ideal would be a headrest height where you can lean against the headrest with the lower part of the back of your head, but not have the headset and the headrest come to contact in any position.

Overall, PSVR2 ergonomics are very, very good. With little effort, very low level of restriction can be achieved.

On the subject of lap times, I'd given the NSX @ Daytona Sport mode time trial thing about 30 laps or so, and had managed to get to a 1:52.90x, so just scraped inside the gold cut-off at that point. I really don't like the track as I find the infield really hard to judge, and I really didn't enjoy the car in this setting either.

I thought I'd give it a go in VR, as it's really spotting the braking points for the infield and getting the right line for a couple of the corners I find very hard.

It took a few laps to get back up to speed again, I managed a 1:52.914 so was on the right path. I found braking for and navigating through the bus stop much easier in VR, and the lines needed for corners 3 and 5 (I think) felt much more obvious.

Eventually managed a 1:52.4xx, so a good jump up, but overall I found the whole process easier due to the better depth perception, better view of the track and ability to brake around a more consistent spot, and better feel for the rotation of the car.

As much as I prefer the lock to horizon camera style, the banking at Daytona is way too steep for this to work, and so it looks and feels utterly ridiculous :D
That lock to horizon thing kinda ruins the immersion a bit I found when I ran over a speedbumb the car shifted around me but my head stayed ackwardly level as if it was on a gyroscope :D

ok guys pls try this I just did a wtc700 le mans stint but wut I did was I unplugged my tv from the ps5 and restarted the ps5 so only using the psvr2 headset i definetly felt an improvement in the psvr2 performance and clarity when playing in gt7 I felt the scale was definetly more real and the details closer was sharper and the game ran more smoothly the horizon was still blurry but I think this is definetly a gt7 issue that can be pathced to be alot more crispy when the game went to flatscreen in the psvr2 things definetly felt alot more crispy so I think the psvr2 really has the ability to be very crisp if we can get some performance patches or settings for gt7 and also the positioning I had no issues at all with camera positioning i didn't have to reset my position at anytime which when I playede with my tv on was a major issue

can some of you guys pls also test this and see if you feel the same??
Looked nicer too me, graining not as noticeable , signs by the track can read very clearly, not liking driving at night as the stars look like blurry blobs now :) .

Last edited:
That lock to horizon thing kinda ruins the immersion a bit I found when I ran over a speedbumb the car shifted around me but my head stayed ackwardly level as if it was on a gyroscope :D
It's a difficult one because it does mimic a bit of what your brain automatically does in real life. If you fix your gaze on a point in the distance when driving and you go over a bump, your gaze stays fixed on that point and the car does shuffle around you, likewise if you accelerate hard or brake hard whilst focused on a point, the car rises up and drops down in your viewpoint because your brain automatically compensates for the movement, like a gyroscope.

I think whilst the locked to cockpit camera is more 'right', in terms of your brain should have to compensate to the cockpit moving, it can't do this as instinctively because there is no physical feedback to trigger that compensation. Which is part of what contributes to motion sickness as I understand it. Your equilibrioception (perception of your orientation) from your inner ear is telling you you're orientated to the horizon, because when sat in your rig, you are. Having the VR viewpoint stay fixed aligned with your physical orientation means that sense doesn't mismatch what you're seeing and your brain doesn't think something is wrong and make you feel sick.

It is in the more extreme cases though that the lock to horizon becomes ridiculous, the Daytona banking for example, or say a large impact that bangs the nose of the car up into the air.

In real life you actually probably would end up looking at your legs briefly as your body is strapped to the car and your head would lag behind the body movement, but obviously in VR you're just sat stationary and the car is flying around you so it looks silly.

I tried almost everything, changed the headset inclination, tweaked the IPD scroll wheel to get a neater image, recalibrated my play area, unplugged my TV, set screen luminosity to the lowest, and turned off the eye tracking.

And going back to the game I found it way better! Don't know if it's a placebo effect, maybe I just got used to it, but I don't notice all those blurry halos around bright objects and find the image clearer. Maybe all those settings make the G spot easier to find 😂 It's still less defined in the background but the cockpit and the first 100m ahead of the cars look neat!

Also I got back to the online time trial since I set up a gold time on flat screen a few days ago but it's about to turn silver, and even if I didn't play it since then I'm already close to my best lap time on flat within a few tries!

As for the little hands, maybe they tried to counterbalance the big hands of GT sport VR... xD Maybe we'll finally get humanscale hands in GT8! 🤣

Last edited:
So in other VR games other then GT7 you can adjust scaling settings?? huh? I not remember that was at all possible back when htc vive hit the markets and I sold mine after about 6 months because I found it to more of a chore to play with then actually fun but I guess things and games have changed since then :)
Well that's on developper side. Don't remember any game giving that adjustments to the players. There were a couple of apps available back then (Oculus DK1&2 time) where you could play with that.

AMS2 and ACC both have the option to change the world scale in VR (on PC).

I'm seeing various posts about a dead pixels starting to appear. I remember this was a known issue with PSVR, but never had an issue with mine.

I have a purple spot in both eyes at the same place. I doubt it’s a dead pixel. Must be some unavoidable artifact or something else. It would be weird otherwise. Anyone seeing this too?

I have a purple spot in both eyes at the same place. I doubt it’s a dead pixel. Must be some unavoidable artifact or something else. It would be weird otherwise. Anyone seeing this too?
no my only issue is I occasionaly smudge the lenses when taking on the psvr2 and I have a bit of screendoor effect not sure wut too look for in regards to a dead pixel?? I can see the pixels/screendoor effect if that is wut you mean but not sure if it is a dead pixel?

Congrats to all who got their PSVR2 up and running with GT7! Can't wait to try it myself.

A word about clarity of VR.

20/20 vision is defined as being able to resolve objects as small as 1 arc- second (60 arc- seconds in 1 degree)... That translates essentially to 60 pixel lines per degree, which further translates to 6600 pixel lines in a 110 degree field of view (4k screen has 2160 pixel lines). PSVR2 has 2040 pixel lines, which means 19 pixels per degree. It will be a couple VR generations before you really get to 20/20 vision. That being said, PSVR2 is ~twice as good as PSVR which had 1080 pixel lines (10 pixels per degree). Perhaps those with more tech expertise might argue that 4000 vertical lines will be nearly as good as 20/20 vision with some clever processing - I hope so.
In the mean time, I'm gonna enjoy it for now till the next generation comes along.

Also, for those with progressive glasses (ie. those of us over 45-50), I'd highly recommend a set of computer glasses - these will help focus at the 2 meter mark.

In terms of immersion, the scale thing is awkward, I constantly feel like I'm in a game, a very realistic one, but the scale being off is breaking that "actually in a real car" sensation that I have with the Oculus and Assetto Corsa, will be curious to see if more people experience the same thing and if there's some sort of explanation for it.
This! I'm experiencing the same feeling that the scale is way off. I tried to look at the Lambo VGT cockpit and the wheel feels tiny. Like, fit in a palm of your hand size. I wonder if this could be fixed with the patch. Unfortunately, it does take you away from the immersion. What's funny is the original PSVR didn't have that issue. I remember you can almost perfectly align the virtual wheel with the real one in terms of scale and distance.

Last edited:
Just beat my best flat screen lap time in online time trial 3 times in a row, last try I beat it by 0.7 seconds!
I'm now at 2.40% fom WR so I'll stop here but I'm confident I could do quite better :)
VR is amazing for consistency!! 💪💪💪
And you can read the track so much better!

EDIT: with all the settings I quoted in my previous message, I have no more color fringing and this blurry halo around bright areas almost disappeared. The sweet spot seems way easier to find too and the image seems clearer! For those who tried all of the advices on this thread, did you also notice improvements?

Last edited:
I seem to be just as fast in VR, but in races I feel like I am missing information you get in the normal mode HUD, like the driver positions/delta, missing shift indicator making me worse at fuel saving. I also am still trying to find the best sweet spot. Having massive fun though

So I’ve just had a play with my dads PSVR2 and GT7 (with pad)

A caveat to start with, I have an issue with my left right eye and can’t really see out of it, so my depth perception is none existent. So 3D doesn’t work for me.

However, I’ve just done a fair few laps (about an 30mins) and my eyes were aching / strained.

The image is good and nice and clear, loads of pop in but when rating it doesn’t distract. The sense of scale on the circuits is excellent and pretty wild when you’re used to a TV. The cars and drivers hands seemed very small to me, comically so.

Colour / HDR is not as described and while better than other headsets I’ve tried it’s no match for my TV.

Do I want one? Nah not really. Did I enjoy it? Yeh it was a lot of fun but not for the price of admission.

I seem to be just as fast in VR, but in races I feel like I am missing information you get in the normal mode HUD, like the driver positions/delta, missing shift indicator making me worse at fuel saving. I also am still trying to find the best sweet spot. Having massive fun though
Hoping they will add the position and delta info as well. Difficult to manage a race, especially where some strategy is needed. I'm thinking they could add it as another menu option, along with TC and Radar. That would keep the cockpit view clean but allow you to toggle to the position info as needed.

Everything amazing but there is a severe issue on the scale of the car on track and in the showroom. They are totally wrong. How possible no one talked about that?? Hope they update as soon as possible.

Last edited:
so in regards to your fuel savings before you race have at look at your car stats in the garage in particular you wanna know where your torque peak is at on the rpm scale and when your HP shift point is so max HP rpm then when you race you wanna shift gears when you hit rpm somewhere between your torque peak rpm and max HP rpm so example you max torque at 5500rpm and you max HP at 7500rpm so you wanna shift somewhere in between that so 6000-6500rpm would be optimal of course you also need too adjust your fuel map settings I usually run my fuel map so I have about 3,2 rounds when starting the wtc700 at le mans then adjust during the race to ensure I hit the 3 rounds mark hope it helps you hit better fuel effecientcy :) ah also make sure your gears are set a bit higher so that you dont max out on your rpms in the straights and never red line because that is wau past your optimal shift point and reduce your fuel effeciancy and acceleration effeciancy :)

Everything amazing but there is a severe issue on the scale of the car on track and in the showroom. They are totally wrong. How possible no one talked about that?? Hope they update as soon as possible.
I hope so too. I tried resetting PS5 and disconnecting the TV, hoping it would solve it, but it didn't do anything. It didn't improve sharpens resolution either but I have no complaints there. It looks pretty sharp to me.

Latest Posts

Back