GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
One thing I wish they had done with the controller layout for VR Showroom is setup the sticks similar to FPS for moving around the cars.

I tried to do a daily race this evening and its just not possible as the head set will not stay calibrated to the straight ahead position.
Set it to do quali thats fine but as soon as the warm up starts its moved again and again when the race starts.
I am sadly also lot slower in VR although it is much more fun. It just isn't a clear enough picture yet lol roll on PSVR3

Yes, Grand Valley is a completely different track in VR.

When the update dropped I rushed to drive on that track because so many people raved about it for so long and it was finally here. So, I'm like, "OK, I'll do a track day on this beloved track for an entire day while waiting for my PSVR2"

It bored me to tears.

Today I revisited the track in VR. I ran 8 races there and loved every lap of every race. Can't wait to go back

Last edited:
R3V
Is this where we leave reviews?

I haven't been this disappointed in a long time with a hardware purchase. PSVR1 on GT sport is superior in so many ways.
  1. I have to keep the lights on in the room for the tracking.
  2. You have to disable your monitor/TV when using PSVR2 or else you won't get 120hz. Unless of course you have HDMI 2.1 which my monitor does not.
  3. The tracking is inferior to PSVR1 with GT sport. I'm not sure if it's the FOVeated rendering, wide FOV or terrible tracking, but I never have to move my head to look at the apex when a corner comes. I just move my eyes a little towards it. It feels like Track IR instead of a VR headset.
  4. The proportions are a little off for both the car and my avatar. Avatar's thighs are pencil sized.
  5. Sense of speed just isn't there compared to the previous one. Again, this could be the wide FOV.
  6. The plastic, rubber and button qualities feel really cheap.
  7. I still get massive chromatic abbreviation no matter what IPD adjustment I do. Maybe it's just me or the fact that I wear glasses, but I'd hoped this would be fixed by now.

The only good couple of improvements are: gauges are a bit clearer and framerate is higher once you disable your TV/monitor in the settings.

With that said, it's still better than no VR. Don't buy this unless you have disposable cash and you're willing to throw it at sim racing.

edit

#2 is for the menu/cinematic mode not the game.
So #2 does or doesn't have anything to do with driving? You mentioned improved framerate and gauges but then said it's for menu/cinematic mode? Or was that a reference to the HDMI 2.1? And where is the setting option to disable your TV? You need to do this even if your TV is turned off?
Just finished up another session. Thanks to the poster who mentioned that they found the best success with putting the band under the curve at the back of their head. I was definitely wearing it wrong yesterday, and found the picture much more clear today. I also had to tilt the headset or offset it slightly on my face to get my eyes perfectly aligned in the test scenario.

As well, I swapped from the default earbud tips to the larger size, which also made a massive difference for me. If anyone hasn't tested out the other sizes you might want to do so!

Finally, a question for the people who have been talking about incorrect scale. I did some tests with this, but I'm not sure I'm encountering the same issue. To me the scale seems roughly correct. I tried it out by finding a car I was somewhat familiar with in real life, the Toyota Tundra. I set my player height in the VR showroom until it was at eye level with the top of the car (my height in real life). The proportions of what I looked at seemed to be correct, including the staff and props in GT Auto. When hopping into the cockpit, the wheel size also looked correct to me. To me, the main issue seems to stem from that fact that all of the cars in the game have the seat position all the way forward, making you feel like you are right on top of the wheel. But this can be fixed in a race by doing the recenter trick and pressing the option button.

I also tested out the complaints about the hands being small. I did this by getting in a car, doing the recenter trick until I felt like the position was similar to how I'd drive a real car, and then holding my hand out to match the position of the virtual drivers hand. I then turned on the PSVR infrared camera to see my hand and compare the size to the virtual one. In this comparison both the hand and arm were very similar in size, and I do not have small hands.

Is there a specific vehicle that this is happening with? Or all of them?
You mean you used the Options button to "set" your player height by where you set the recenter?
Also, how does recentering during a driving session change the virtual distance of the seat? Doesn't it just move the location of the overall screen?
Thanks! Think I have to get used to it then.
Just pretend it's the edges of your helmet's eye port LOL

Got my PSVR2 last night. As an owner of PSVR1 I only chose V2 because of GT7. GTSport implementation was disappointing. GT7 has met expectations and beyond. Racing against more than 1 car is so much better. Cars without a roof has always been the most enjoyable experience. I am lucky I don’t suffer motion sickness, so can drive for as long as I want. I am slower in VR but will persist. Visual perfection has always been a challenge and requires the perfect configuration and headset placement; however, as a VR nut, I’m willing to compromise visuals for the VR experience. My only wish is to be able to adjust the seat position at any time to give you your optimal seating position - like DriveClub could do.

You mean you used the Options button to "set" your player height by where you set the recenter?
Also, how does recentering during a driving session change the virtual distance of the seat? Doesn't it just move the location of the overall screen?
Yes, that. I'm new to VR so don't know a ton, but what I do (since I'm tall) is lean forward and down a bit, maybe 2 inches, and then hold the button to recenter. Then once you return to your starting position, it makes the camera/head position so that it's a bit higher and where I feel I naturally would be in a car. It doesn't actually change the seat position but it simulates the same effect, to me at least.

And also in ps5 end? Because i get ps logo and then nothing. The ps5 end was not correctly in all the way.
Yes. I even flipped around the cable despite it being USB-C. Restarting PS5 also doesn’t help. Three more people on Reddit have same problem as me. So I am hopeful for a solution.

Yes, that. I'm new to VR so don't know a ton, but what I do (since I'm tall) is lean forward and down a bit, maybe 2 inches, and then hold the button to recenter. Then once you return to your starting position, it makes the camera/head position so that it's a bit higher and where I feel I naturally would be in a car. It doesn't actually change the seat position but it simulates the same effect, to me at least.
Ah I see. Do you have to redo it every time you restart a session? Like, if you crash and hit pause and then hit "Retry," do you need to recenter again?

Ah I see. Do you have to redo it every time you restart a session? Like, if you crash and hit pause and then hit "Retry," do you need to recenter again?
Yes, you have to redo it every time unfortunately.

Hopefully they add a head offset setting in a future update where you can just set it to -2x, +2y or something and not have to set it manually each race.

We need some kind of mini leaderboard for endurance races. You basically have no idea what’s going on unless you pit.
The lack of the leaderboard (and other HUD data) is by far my biggest and only major disappointment with PSVR2 so far. Both ACC and iRacing have this and I feel it's a crucial feature. Very sad that PD didn't consider that - I hope they will correct it in the first update to the VR module of GT7.

Anybody having issues with their wheel (Fanatec DD1) disconnecting? It only happens when using PSVR2.

I get a 'controller disconnected' message. Then I have to hit the PS button on the wheel to turn it back on. I sometimes get a message saying, "play are needs to be reset," but then it disappears.

Maybe I need to redo the whole setup. Will have to check when I get home.

Edit: reset the PSVR and set up a new play area. No wheel disconnect 🤙

Last edited:
The lack of the leaderboard (and other HUD data) is by far my biggest and only major disappointment with PSVR2 so far. Both ACC and iRacing have this and I feel it's a crucial feature. Very sad that PD didn't consider that - I hope they will correct it in the first update to the VR module of GT7.
In my opinion, you could drive with no HUD. I do it flat and miss nothing, it's a game of feeling the tyres. For leaderboard you could just see how many cars you went past

In my opinion, you could drive with no HUD. I do it flat and miss nothing, it's a game of feeling the tyres. For leaderboard you could just see how many cars you went past
That's not viable in Sport Mode. There's too much info missing that affects your race strategy.

I like ACC's implementation, way off to the left and unobtrusive.

Last edited:
One thing I just realized I completely forgot to mention yesterday on my first drive around Grand Valley in the Honda RA272.

I was running in Time Trial mode, and on one of the subsequent laps, I saw my ghost in the external rear view mirror of the car! That's insane detail. Has anyone else seen this?!

That's not viable in Sport Mode. There's too much info missing that affects your race strategy.

I like ACC's implementation, way off to the left and unobtrusive.
I'd be happy if all the race info was paged on the MFD. So far, in every car I've driven, it floats in the center of the dash and is oriented to the avatar's head.

Can anyone tell me how to get my sound to go through my TV and not the PSVR2 headphones?

When I go to sound options WITHOUT a the headset on, “Output Device” shows “HDMI Device (TV)”.

As soon as I put on the headset that option is replaced with “Headphones (PSVR2)”, and the TV option disappears.

The immersions fine, but in real life you have a team manager giving you the info, in GT7 you are a one man show. The leaderboard is important so you can strategize when to pit based on when opponents have or have not pitted, how much gap is between you and your opponent, with a leaderboard you can see a opponent moving up from the back and that may change your plans.

I just did a single lap custom go-kart race around the Nordachliefe and had a grin on my face the whole time. So cool.

Any other suggestions for "must try" events?
I set up a custom race with 20 mustang gr3 road cars all done in different nascar liveries at midnight on the Daytona oval. I'm not even a nascar fan but it was awesome. Psvr2 completely changes the game.

Picked up the PSVR2 tonight. A member of a Dutch forum sold it to me. Up until tonight I was a VR virgin so I was very excited to play.

But I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or that my expectations weren’t correct. But I have a big “binoculars view” feeling. I have a lot of black around my peripheral vision. Maybe that’s normal in VR. But I’m curious if other newcomers in VR world are noticing the same.
I have that thing smashed up as close to my eyes as possible. I'm far sided (edit- farsighted) now, but don't wear any glasses in the goggles. If I put it even one click out farther than it is, I notice the borders a lot more. As it is, I don't notice them. It's crazy how much field of view I have. My best RC FPV goggles have something like 42 degree FOV which is a lot for those types of things.

Last edited:
Anybody having issues with their wheel (Fanatec DD1) disconnecting? It only happens when using PSVR2.

I get a 'controller disconnected' message. Then I have to hit the PS button on the wheel to turn it back on. I sometimes get a message saying, "play are needs to be reset," but then it disappears.

Maybe I need to redo the whole setup. Will have to check when I get home.
I have when I switched to the controller for VR showroom once but usually it stays connected.

Back