GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
I was one of the earlier “initially disappointed with image quality’ commenters. (Photographer and graphic, designer, if that rings any bells for the thread completists).

I tried the ‘crouch and hold down Option’. That seemed to help.

I tried the ‘make sure you get the headset low on the back of your head’. That also seemed to help.

I also recalibrated the eye tracker, which wasn’t properly recognising the top three of the seven(?) dots.

And after doing a custom race of Sardenga(?) in a kart in VR I immediately did the same race on my 65” LG OLED TV for comparison.

Yes, the graphics on the TV were much better - the colours, the detail, the corner-to-corner clarity. But no, I don’t think I’ll ever drive in GT7 on my TV again.

Now I’ve tasted the immersion I don’t want to go back.

As an analogy I’d much rather watch my favourite movie or TV show on an average TV than watch an average show on my favourite TV.

Or to put it in photography terms, I’d much rather look at photos taken by an amazing photographer using an average camera, than those of an average photographer using high-end gear.

I haven’t tried it yet, but would the graphics in the headset, increase if/when the game is only viewed in the headset and not on the tv as well?
I tried this, unplugging the HDMI to my monitor, and it didn't make a difference. This doesn't make a difference in PCVR as well as it's just putting a mirrored image up on the monitor. I get what you're thinking though... 😉👍

No button to quickly look back?
Cannot change view?
Can’t move freely in Showroom?

Just checking to be sure I haven’t missed something.
It’s great! PSVR2 itself to me is slightly disappointing.

Two days in and I’m now quicker in VR than I was in pancake mode. Heres some of my thoughts and other ramblings since the introduction of VR.

I really struggled at Laguna Seca circuit experience. I’ve managed to gold each sector but a gold lap still eludes me. However I’m now just a couple of tenths off so I reckon it’s just a matter of time 🤨

Before my headset came I tried for hours but I just couldn’t get close to gold. In fact I was only achieving bronze! A huge 4 seconds away from gold. That was on Tuesday of this week.
I watched my replays back and found that I was missing the apex of most corners every single lap. It’s not like I don’t know the track. I’ve driven thousands of laps here over the years. GT, iRacing etc. but for whatever reason putting a lap together eluded me. Until yesterday..

Yesterday I tried again in VR and it’s a huge difference. I was hitting every apex from the get go. Completely consistent every lap often lapping very close to my best each time. I got Silver after a couple of attempts and gold is now in my grasp, just a couple of tenths off. Just taking a break.. but yeah I’m now much faster at this track in VR.

A couple of other things I want to mention.

VR replay is great albeit a little quirky. I highly recommend watching a replay back after you’ve raced in something fast. I did a GT3 race at Bathurst as part of one of the Championships and it’s awesome down Conrod Straight and through the Chase. And the sky at night was pretty spectacular too.
It’s a mode that needs tweaking but if you set the music to off in the options it’s pretty damn spectacular with the sound cranked up so your teeth rattle.
There’s some ghosting and some lod pop in and some of the camera placement needs tweaking but I don’t still love this feature and I’m glad they added it. Just remember to look behind!

Also, to repeat what’s already been posted. Try putting the rear band of the VR headset low down on the back of your head. The front should be higher on your forehead with the front of the unit towards the front of your nose. Get what looks to be the sweet spot and then do the eye tracking. If you’re still struggling then it may actually be your eyes. One guy on Reddit said he was thinking of going for a refund before he put on his reading glasses and now it’s clear for him.

Oh and one final thought, a mention for the exhaust flames 🔥 seriously good when you’re in a race.

And that’s given me another final thought 🙄 if you’ve got the time to put it together, do yourself a favour and race tune all your cars from the later 60’s to the mid 70’s and put them together in a custom race with boost on weak. (Boost off is broken)

Why? Well you’ve got Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, BMW, De Tomaso, Chevrolet, Dodge, Nissan (there’s some awesome Datsun liveries) etc etc. there’s some simply awesome cars from the period in game. Some from Legends dealership but most can be picked up from the used car dealership.

Give them wide bodies and custom bodywork and then aim for something around either 550-600pp all with custom liveries from the period. (Tip search lemans or a specific year such as 1973 etc) after a race or two you get the idea which cars need a boost or which needs to be nerfed a bit. You can then play with ballast and power to create your own bop.

If you’ve not got a full collection or the funds to give them all upgrades you can grow the grid as they become available and save your custom race settings.
These cars a a blast to race on comfort mediums or softs. It’s a welcome change if you only often race gr3 gr4 or gr1 cars.
There’s something special about racing from that period. To me anyway.

TLDR: VR is great 😀

Last edited:
I had tried pcvr in a 3K $ pc with PCars
Also the gtsport with the psvr .
Yesterday i tried gt7 with psvr2 and its blows my mind...
I didn't expect it at all..
The first race i tried was the Spa 800 (1h)
I allmost cry when i watch the stars at the night.
Gt7 is amazing experience in psvr2!
When the night came down at Spa, Bathurst, Nordschleife, Le Mans, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Daytona or any other track, it was always a special moment for me on flat screen, but in VR it's pure magic!
As an analogy I’d much rather watch my favourite movie or TV show on an average TV than watch an average show on my favourite TV.
What a nice analogy ^^
Thanks for those second impressions!
I had many issue for 2 days before realizing that I wasn't wearing the headset correctly.
From my experience, it's like there are 2 sweet spots. You've got to find the sweet spot of the head band first or you won't be able to find the sweet spot of the mask. Once you get it, it's way better. Not even the slightest chromatic abberation for me once it's properly set up!

Two days in and I’m now quicker in VR than I was in pancake mode. Heres some of my thoughts and other ramblings since the introduction of VR.

I really struggled at Laguna Seca circuit experience. I’ve managed to gold each sector but a gold lap still eludes me. However I’m now just a couple of tenths off so I reckon it’s just a matter of time 🤨

Before my headset came I tried for hours but I just couldn’t get close to gold. In fact I was only achieving bronze! A huge 4 seconds away from gold. That was on Tuesday of this week.
I watched my replays back and found that I was missing the apex of most corners every single lap. It’s not like I don’t know the track. I’ve driven thousands of laps here over the years. GT, iRacing etc. but for whatever reason putting a lap together eluded me. Until yesterday..

Yesterday I tried again in VR and it’s a huge difference. I was hitting every apex from the get go. Completely consistent every lap often lapping very close to my best each time. I got Silver after a couple of attempts and gold is now in my grasp, just a couple of tenths off. Just taking a break.. but yeah I’m now much faster at this track in VR.

VR replay is great albeit a little quirky. I highly recommend watching a replay back after you’ve raced in something fast. I did a GT3 race at Bathurst as part of one of the Championships and it’s awesome down Conrod Straight and through the Chase. And the sky at night was pretty spectacular too.
It’s a mode that needs tweaking but if you set the music to off in the options it’s pretty damn spectacular with the sound cranked up so your teeth rattle.
There’s some ghosting and some lod pop in and some of the camera placement needs tweaking but I don’t still love this feature and I’m glad they added it. Just remember to look behind!

Also, to repeat what’s already been posted. Try putting the rear band of the VR headset low down on the back of your head. The front should be higher on your forehead with the front of the unit towards the front of your nose. Get what looks to be the sweet spot and then do the eye tracking. If you’re still struggling then it may actually be your eyes. I guy on Reddit said he was thinking of going for a refund before he put on his reading glasses and now it’s clear for him.

Oh and one final thought, a mention for the exhaust flames 🔥 seriously good when you’re in a race.

And that’s given me another final thought 🙄 if you’ve got the time to put it together, do yourself a favour and race tune all your cars from the later 60’s to the mid 70’s and put them together in a custom race with boost on weak. (Boost off is broken)

Why? Well you’ve got Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, BMW, De Tomaso, Chevrolet, Dodge, Nissan (there’s some awesome Datsun liveries) etc etc. there’s some simply awesome cars from the period in game. Some from Legends dealership but most can be picked up from the used car dealership.

Give them wide bodies and custom bodywork and then aim for something around either 550-600pp all with custom liveries from the period. (Tip search lemans or a specific year such as 1973 etc) after a race or two you get the idea which cars need a boost or which needs to be nerfed a bit. You can then play with ballast and power to create your own bop.

If you’ve not got a full collection or the funds to give them all upgrades you can grow the grid as they become available and save your custom race settings.
These cars a a blast to race on comfort mediums or softs. It’s a welcome change if you only often race gr3 gr4 or gr1 cars.

Same here, I'm already faster, more consistent, and I get the CRB way more easily in the GT World Series championship as well!
The online time trial was way easier than on flat screen!

Also, I totally agree for the custom races. I have a huge load of custom races on different tracks, themed by decades from 60's to 90's. I've got 20 cars by races, all with custom liverie, I just struggle to chose which cars to put on the track since I have about 650 cars in my garage 🤣

Last edited:
R3V
It should already be running at that, but PS menu won't be. To be super sure do the settings below.

#2 should not have anything to do with the game being on in theory, but I'll have to double check. Maybe a bug locks the game down to a lower framerate. The gauges and framerate are improved over GT Sport regardless of this. Chromatic abbreviation is both in the menu and the game.

The settings:

Screen and video > Video output > 120hz outout > off
Then
Accessories > PSVR2 > Vidoe output > Output 120hz to VR headset
Thanks man, I was halfway there by having enabled 120 output to the headset in the VR2 menu. No, it wasn’t on by default, it was off.

I’ve now disabled 120 output to my TV in the main PS5 settings menu, as you suggested. It’s super late here and I just did that prior to going to bed, ahead of playing again tomorrow. But then I read the below, so I wonder if this (disabling 120 output to TV in the PS5 settings) truly makes any difference.
I haven’t tried it yet, but would the graphics in the headset, increase if/when the game is only viewed in the headset and not on the tv as well?

I tried this, unplugging the HDMI to my monitor, and it didn't make a difference. This doesn't make a difference in PCVR as well as it's just putting a mirrored image up on the monitor. I get what you're thinking though... 😉👍

Well, that’s that then.

I was one of the earlier “initially disappointed with image quality’ commenters. (Photographer and graphic, designer, if that rings any bells for the thread completists).

I tried the ‘crouch and hold down Option’. That seemed to help.

I tried the ‘make sure you get the headset low on the back of your head’. That also seemed to help.

I also recalibrated the eye tracker, which wasn’t properly recognising the top three of the seven(?) dots.

And after doing a custom race of Sardenga(?) in a kart in VR I immediately did the same race on my 65” LG OLED TV for comparison.

Yes, the graphics on the TV were much better - the colours, the detail, the corner-to-corner clarity. But no, I don’t think I’ll ever drive in GT7 on my TV again.

Now I’ve tasted the immersion I don’t want to go back.

Or to put it in photography terms, I’d much rather look at photos taken by an amazing photographer using an average camera, than those of an average photographer using high-end gear.
The only thing I really wish for visually makes practically no difference when driving, but it’s that all the interior bits were sharp and clear to read. Gauges, text/labels on cockpit buttons and switches—and in some race cars, the labels on the control boxes etc in the passenger area. I can just make out “Bosch” on one of them in the 911 RSR. Another car, I forget which one but maybe the Huracan GT3, I can tell it’s a Bosch unit by the general look of the label but I absolutely can’t actually read it. Many cars, I can barely read what the button box/console-mounted button labels say. And in my GT3 RS, the Porsche crest on the steering wheel isn’t really sharp, either. That’s just one example.
Super minor “complaints,” though.

A
So too sum it up PSVR2 amazing crisp and clear picture pls test it in cinematic mode with 4k or more vids you will be amazed GT7 graphic is downgraded for performance.
Again, the number of horizontal lines is 2040 in a 110 degree field of view. So you'll likely not get better than ~1000 horizontal lines in cinematic mode... This would mean you should not be able to tell the diff between 1080p, vs 4k+ vids assuming they are both HDR. I think the reason you have fuzzy vision in GT7 is, you're trying to look far ahead, and while your eyes (at 20/20 vision) are capable of distinguishing as many as 60 lines per degree, the PSVR2 only provides 19ish lines. You don't notice this when watching videos because the movie directors provide all the details for you ... They zoom in and the once tiny object is now screen sized.

So I agree vids will look great, but they are no where near 4k, and in fact may be closer to 780p. OLED makes everything look great.

I have a potentially silly Q re room boundaries:
I want to mostly play with room scale, and what this means is that the sitting surface of my couch is outside of the VR safe bounds (to make sure I don't trip on the couch.
The side effect of this is that when I sit on the couch to play GT7 (I have a wheel stand rig, not a full rig), GT7 immediately detects that I am outside of the safe area, and just shows the danger grid at all time.

I am wondering if there is any way around this.
I assume I could push the sofa forward when playing GT7 but that's honestly a bit of a pain.
I could also include the couch I guess, and be ok that I might just trip over it and die.

Anyone else in the same situation? Any input?

I have a potentially silly Q re room boundaries:
I want to mostly play with room scale, and what this means is that the sitting surface of my couch is outside of the VR safe bounds (to make sure I don't trip on the couch.
The side effect of this is that when I sit on the couch to play GT7 (I have a wheel stand rig, not a full rig), GT7 immediately detects that I am outside of the safe area, and just shows the danger grid at all time.

I am wondering if there is any way around this.
I assume I could push the sofa forward when playing GT7 but that's honestly a bit of a pain.
I could also include the couch I guess, and be ok that I might just trip over it and die.

Anyone else in the same situation? Any input?
I have similar thing instead of a couch i am using my office chair which i block on a couch (it is better for racing than couch). I did get warnings when looking around, so I added couch as a place. I will feel it when closing to it won't trip over.

Question for those experiencing blurriness, this is my first VR so I'm not totally familiar with all the terms. I messed with the IPD and head position and can get the center of the screen looking sharp, but the corners are a bit blurred. If I physically turn my head to look in the corners it becomes clear. This is more apparent in menus, like white text on a black background, not so noticeable when driving. Have I not found the sweet spot? Is it an eye tracking issue? Is it just a function of the lenses and par for the course?

I also had issues with the audio, I didn't even plug the ear buds into the headset but I could not the change the output to anything else while I was wearing it. The workaround I found was to simply start the game without wearing the headset, then the audio would go to my 5.1 system and not switch back.

If you are like me and are used to PS4 Pro and PS5 on high end 4K displays you may be disappointed initially by the visuals. As others have said, watching videos of VR gameplay is not very representative of the experience. However for someone like me who always races from cockpit view, the increased spatial/situational awareness is unparalleled. Doing the Tsukuba 1v1 race challenge and turning my head 120 degrees back to see Sophy's fender creeping up in my right side 1/4 window was unreal. That simply was not possible before.

Question for those experiencing blurriness, this is my first VR so I'm not totally familiar with all the terms. I messed with the IPD and head position and can get the center of the screen looking sharp, but the corners are a bit blurred. If I physically turn my head to look in the corners it becomes clear. This is more apparent in menus, like white text on a black background, not so noticeable when driving. Have I not found the sweet spot? Is it an eye tracking issue? Is it just a function of the lenses and par for the course?
If you have some chromatic aberrations (red and blue color fringing around white letters) when you look at a text right in front of you on a menu, then you have not found the sweet spot yet!

But anyway the corners of the screen will appear blurry, especially in 2D menus since they don't support eye tracking apparently.
Try to set the luminosity of the screen to the lowest value, It really helps for me, I have a better image and my eyes don't get tired too fast.

Question: how much of the awesomeness of GT7 on PSVR 2 would you say is down to 3-dimensional vision? I don't have that , thus I wonder if the difference to a flat TV image will be as intense for me as it is for you.

Question: how much of the awesomeness of GT7 on PSVR 2 would you say is down to 3-dimensional vision? I don't have that , thus I wonder if the difference to a flat TV image will be as intense for me as it is for you.
Stereoscopic 3D is huge, WAY better than what you can experience in cinema or on a 3D TV, it's not even comparable. You're literally in the game and it's probably 90% of the blast you get when experiencing VR 👍

Last edited:
Hi.
Do we lose any functionality with the VR, like to view the gap to other cars during a race? I couldn't see that info on some YT streamings...

I have no succes booting up my ps5/psvr2 without a screen connected.
I first have to connect a screen/hdmi cable to a screen.
Then it works and I can unplug the hdmi cable / screen.
Powering on later I have to connect the screen again to get PSVR2 working in cinema mode.
When powering on with only the psvr2 I get a screen telling me to connect to a tv/screen and follow instructions on the tv/screen.

Am I missing a setting?
Looked everywhere but found nothing.

Last edited:
Well this coming from someone who couldn't stand PSVR1 for a second was all I needed to remove any hesitations I still had. From what I can understand people complaning about bluriness haven't found their sweet spot yet or the headset's proper position. Still I would like to try it in a store before I buy it (to check my vision's hypermetropia), but if they dont put it for testing next week I am getting it either way ;)
Maybe you can wait three or four days to understand the long term side effects I will have but so far the Half lap I have done in 500 Fiat caused no problems. But still, it’s a long road to build vr legs and also I am pretty Sure all this is awakening my labirinth whatsoever is the name of the problem with my vertigo :(

If you have some chromatic aberrations (red and blue color fringing around white letters) when you look at a text right in front of you on a menu, then you have not found the sweet spot yet!

But anyway the corners of the screen will appear blurry, especially in 2D menus since they don't support eye tracking apparently.
Try to set the luminosity of the screen to the lowest value, It really helps for me, I have a better image and my eyes don't get tired too fast.
I have not noticed colour fringing, only white bleed on black backgrounds. No eye tracking in menus kinda makes sense, but why does physically moving my head make it clear? I have no problem with banners and signs around tracks being blurry, trees don't look so hot but you don't notice when you're racing. A good test for me was driving the C3 Corvette, you can see the tops of fenders through the windshield and they were nice and crisp. The eye tracking works so well I never notice anything outside the FOV being blurred, very natural.

I will try lower brightness, I turned it down 2-3 notches from the default maximum already, but it seems to me colours are a bit washed out considering these are OLED panels.

Hi.
Do we lose any functionality with the VR, like to view the gap to other cars during a race? I couldn't see that info on some YT streamings...
I did a race at WTC 700 La Sarthe with full Display and didn’t see the gap Or car placings. The car info was on my right of screen in a nice square. Includes tyre wear and track surface gauges, damage graphic and MFD. Gear indicator, lap split, lap counter and time counter are at the top of the screen. All out of the way. Should be like this as default for tv play as well.

Question: Do you have Ray Tracing enabled, or prefer better frame rate (cant remember exactly what the Options were called)

And dou you see a difference on psvr2?

Last edited:

What comes out on the TV isn't actually taxing the PS5. That's false info. It is simply a copy of what is rendered for VR.

Last edited:
Stereoscopic 3D is huge, WAY better than what you can experience in cinema or on a 3D TV, it's not even comparable. You're literally in the game and it's probably 90% of the blast you get when experiencing VR 👍
Thanks, but I am not sure if we're talking about the same thing. What I meant is that I do not have 3-dimensional vision due to a birth defect. Everything looks 2D for me, also the real world. Thus, I wondered if PSVR 2 still is so revolutional when you take stereoscopic 3D out of the equation.

No eye tracking in menus kinda makes sense, but why does physically moving my head make it clear?
What many people don't know is that most VR headset have indeed foveated rendering, and it was also the case with the first PSVR! But the PSVR2 has eye tracked foveated rendering. Basically, when eye tracking is disabled it works as a standard foveated rendering and the focal is fixed in the middle of the lenses.

Thanks, but I am not sure if we're talking about the same thing. What I meant is that I do not have 3-dimensional vision due to a birth defect. Everything looks 2D for me, also the real world. Thus, I wondered if PSVR 2 still is so revolutional when you take stereoscopic 3D out of the equation.

Sorry, I misunderstood!
If you mean that you have only one valid eye, and from what I heard on the topic (it was in a Youtube video so it might be worth doing further research ^^') you'll have a panoramic 2D view like you have in real life, which would be an improvement over flat screen. Maybe it will require to turn off the eye tracking, I don't know, might be interesting to gather informations from people having the same handicap.

Last edited:
Question: Do you have Ray Tracing enabled, or prefer better frame rate (cant remember exactly what the Options were called)

And dou you see a difference on psvr2?
This is only for replays and honestly does not matter.

Collection of random thoughts after 3 Days with PSVR2 and GT7

-Adjusting the position of the headset made all the difference.

-Whoever said GT7 in VR should not lock to the horizon was right and I was wrong.

-GT7s returning original Tracks hit hard in VR. Usually do not care for them, but damn.

-The default seating position is almost always wrong. Just let me customize and save a position per car.

-I never want to play GT7 on my TV again.

-We need a fully customizable HUD.

-Now more than ever I want an iRacing / Acc style spotter over the radio.

-Low Fuel warning pls!

EDIT:

-The slight nausea I was feeling in the beginning is completely gone now.

Last edited:

Also, to repeat what’s already been posted. Try putting the rear band of the VR headset low down on the back of your head. The front should be higher on your forehead with the front of the unit towards the front of your nose. Get what looks to be the sweet spot and then do the eye tracking. If you’re still struggling then it may actually be your eyes. One guy on Reddit said he was thinking of going for a refund before he put on his reading glasses and now it’s clear for him.

How do you turn the music off in vr replays? I can't see am option to turn it off.

Maybe you can wait three or four days to understand the long term side effects I will have but so far the Half lap I have done in 500 Fiat caused no problems. But still, it’s a long road to build vr legs and also I am pretty Sure all this is awakening my labirinth whatsoever is the name of the problem with my vertigo :(
I had vertigo issues everyone was blaming it on the labyrinth but in the end it was from a stiff neck.

Sorry, I misunderstood!
If you mean that you have only one valid eye, and from what I heard on the topic (it was in a Youtube video so it might be worth doing further research ^^') you'll have a panoramic 2D view like you have in real life, which would already be an improvement over flat screen. Maybe it will require to turn off the eye tracking, I don't know, might be interesting to gather informations from people having the same handicap.
I'll be happy to report when I got my setup going some time next week.

Back