GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Collection of random thoughts after 3 Days with PSVR2 and GT7

-Adjusting the position of the headset made all the difference.

-Whoever said GT7 in VR should not lock to the horizon was right and I was wrong.

-GT7s returning original Tracks hit hard in VR. Usually do not care for them, but damn.

-The default seating position is almost always wrong. Just let me customize and save a position per car.

-I never want to play GT7 on my TV again.

-We need a fully customizable HUD.

-Now more than ever I want a iRacing / Acc style spotter over the radio.

-Low Fuel warning pls!
Is it the banking at Daytona that made you change your mind on Lock To Horizon or having a big crash etc.? Just curious :)

Out of curiosity, try running GT7 without PSVR2, and change the seating position in cockpit view, then go back in with PSVR2 and see if the default position has changed. I have a suspicion the initial reset view position it is using is still based on the 2D cockpit view settings.

Out of curiosity, try running GT7 without PSVR2, and change the seating position in cockpit view, then go back in with PSVR2 and see if the default position has changed. I have a suspicion the initial reset view position it is using is still based on the 2D cockpit view settings.
I'll be trying this as soon as I finish my coffee, I'll let you know if I notice anything.

How do you turn the music off in vr replays? I can't see am option to turn it off.
1677248291912.png

From the main "overworld" outside of any race.

We need to clear somethings up for people looking to buy the psvr2.

The psvr2 has a very clear and sharp image once corrected to your vision and you find your sweet spot.

The graphics in GT7 is blurry in the distance BUT this is only the graphics in the game it does not reflect the PSVR2's capabilities at all
so the post you read complaining about fuzzy graphics that is only true for the game not the headset.....

To best test this you go into cinematic mode and youtube on the psvr2 and load up a nice 4k/8k/12k demo video and you will be truly amazed how clear and sharp the image is on the psvr2.

The graphics in gt7 was most likely at another level for the reviewers to test and we can hope that maybe polyphony will update the game with a patch that will roll out more crisp graphics in VR mode pls also remember that they propably are taking into account that you both are rendering in the VR headset and on the tv so that is very taxing on the hardware if they could implement it so you only would render in the psvr2 then I think we could get that very crispy clear graphics the reviewers have all talked about....

So too sum it up PSVR2 amazing crisp and clear picture pls test it in cinematic mode with 4k or more vids you will be amazed GT7 graphic is downgraded for performance.
You make an excellent point! And I realize the nuance of this isn't clear to anyone who hasn't really dug deeper into this or familiar with the history of VR and racing sims.

Rendering high-quality graphics images in VR for racing games is legendary for how difficult it is and the CPU-power it takes accomplish. The experience with ACC is a perfect example. Go out and read some forums on the high-quality graphics card and GPU you need to get a good frame rate with high resolution on PC.

The interviews with Kaz specifically discuss how two things helped with this on PS5. First, PS5 has higher processing power than its predecessors, and second, this amazing technology called "foveated rendering". This feature uses the eye-tracking cameras in the PSVR2 to only sharpen the images directly where your eye is looking. This is so that most of the CPU power can be dedicated to rendering, with better quality, a smaller portion of the overall image. Clearly there are still trade-offs, but these two things are the main reasons PSVR2 is better than PSVR1

Bottom line, rendering the image you see in GT7 is still the result of massive mathematical physics calculations dynamically based on your inputs from your wheel or controller, requiring huge CPU power from the GPU. A YouTube video is simply replaying a previously recorded image - massive difference in CPU power needed.

Although I'm sure some optimizations can be made now that this new technology is being field tested by many users, I think Sony & PD have done an extremely admirable job getting the most out of the technology available to them, which is pretty good. Some other members have pointed out that a high-uality PC VR setup with something like a 3080Ti will set you back ~$3000, not to mention that the plug-and-play integrated aspect of a console provides a more seamless experience.

Last edited:
Is it the banking at Daytona that made you change your mind on Lock To Horizon or having a big crash etc.? Just curious :)

Can y'all explain what do you mean with Lock To Horizon?

I said this earlier in the thread but need to say it again, the stock headphones BLOW, they are hollow and without and stage. I picked up a $30 set of KZ DQ6's and the difference is extreme, much better positional separation and extremely better bass and soundstage. and the headset can drive them room room to spare :)

I'm a die-hard GT fan. I've owned every Playstation and every GT since launch. I got PSVR just to play GT Sport in 2017. I've also had a bunch of wheel and pedals, from the usual Logitechs and currently Thrustmaster T-GT with T-LCM pedals in a solid aluminum extrusion sim rig. During lockdown, I built a PC with a Ryzen 9 5900X + RTX 3080 GPU + HP Reverb G2, and I play racing sims on exclusively in PCVR at 90hz (mostly Assetto Corsa and Assetto Corsa Competizione). I did buy a PS5 when GT7 launched last year, and that's the only racing game I play in pancake mode.

So...will PSVR 2 + GT7 blow my mind?

I think I kinda know the answer...but the thought of a whole GT game in VR is sinking its claws deep in me. AC and ACC are great in their own ways. The sheer variety of modding with the very latest cars in AC (I've been driving the 992 GT3 and G82 M4 for months now). The physics, sound and handling of ACC.

But neither of them are GT, and I do miss being able to jump into an online race with a full grid of up to 15 other racers at any given time of day. And I could spend hours just doing custom liveries and taking Scapes photos...

Someone please convince me I need a PSVR 2...or prevent me from making a huge mistake...

Last edited:
Question: how much of the awesomeness of GT7 on PSVR 2 would you say is down to 3-dimensional vision? I don't have that , thus I wonder if the difference to a flat TV image will be as intense for me as it is for you.
I suspect that that is an almost impossible question for people who have always had stereo vision to answer. I'm not sure. I am convinced VR is so much more fun/immersive for me. Even though the graphic fidelity hasn't quite lived up to my expectations, the sense of immersion has exceeded them.

So my fairly confident but uneducated guess is that you will absolutely still get lots out of VR. Being able to look 'though' a corner—especially a tight corner like the Carousel at Nordschleife, but every corner—and being able to look at the cars either side of you and in your mirrors changes the experience quite noticeably. And that's going to be almost(?) exactly the same for you, I'd imagine.

Am I picking up extra depth cues from stereo vision? Quite possibly. But my guess is it's not nearly as noticeable as the difference in immersion that comes from no longer having a fixed view, but instead one that changes as you move your head around.

For completeness I am someone who turns off all the on-screen graphics (both on TV and in VR), and has always played in cockpit view. I enjoy getting better, but for me it's the experience of feeling like I am driving amazing cars on amazing roads, rather that those last few tenths of a second per lap, that have me coming back again and again. My mum owns an ND MX5. Driving it in VR, with the sun reflecting off the paintwork on the tops of the inside of the doors, feels so much more like actually driving her car than doing the same thing on the TV it blows me away. It sounds silly given I already have a Fanatec wheel and a Playseat Trophy rig, but now it feels 'real' and what I was doing only a few days ago feels like a toy game. Obviously that language is a bit over the top, but right at the moment that's what it feels like, and I suspect my stereo vision only contributes a tiny fraction of that change. But of course I might be wrong!

Last edited:
I'm a die-hard GT fan. I've owned every Playstation and every GT since launch. I got PSVR just to play GT Sport in 2017. I've also had a bunch of wheel and pedals, from the usual Logitechs and currently Thrustmaster T-GT with T-LCM pedals in a solid aluminum extrusion sim rig. During lockdown, I built a PC with a Ryzen 9 5900X + RTX 3080 GPU + HP Reverb G2, and I play racing sims on exclusively in PCVR at 90hz (mostly Assetto Corsa and Assetto Corsa Competizione). I did buy a PS5 when GT7 launched last year, and that's the only racing game I play in pancake mode.

So...will PSVR 2 + GT7 blow my mind?

I think I kinda know the answer...but the thought of a whole GT game in VR is sinking its claws deep in me. AC and ACC are great in their own ways. The sheer variety of modding with the very latest cars in AC (I've been driving the 991.2 GT3 and G82 M4 for months now). The physics, sound and handling of ACC.

But neither of them are GT, and I do miss being able to jump into an online race with a full grid of up to 15 other racers at any given time of day. And I could spend hours just doing custom liveries and taking Scapes photos...

Someone please convince me I need a PSVR 2...or prevent me from making a huge mistake...
I can’t believe you don’t have one already lol

GET THE VR and be ready to have your mind BLOWN to kingdom come

Like, whatever you experienced in your past rigs and NOTHING compared to this VR2.

Even with a dualsense, VR2 in GT7 is brutally savage!

Cannot go back to normal 2D GT now. Nope…. Cannot

Last edited:
That’s next in my list man!!!!
You must love that wheel
It’s my first wheel I’ve had so not much to compare to but it does work really nice. I like the smooth quiet operation of the DD motor. Also nice having PlayStation buttons on the wheel. My only complaint is the wheel connection. The quick release quality feels cheap and I actually have a touch of play in the connection. I hear little clicks now and then of small shifts in the wheel/shaft connection. I’ve built up some electrical tape that helps but it wears out over time and the clock comes back. Overall though very nice for entry level. I just wish the FFB in GT7 was improved.

I adjusted the 2D views to the -5 and -5, switched to VR, got a feel for it. Repeated at +5 and +5. No change. Also worth mentioning I was in the 2015 Dodge Charger, and I drove a 2013 for 6 years IRL so I definitely would have noticed. I still need to slouch forward, reset view, then sit up straight to get a seating position for tall people.

Also adjusted the wobble settings to see if that would affect the horizon lock, it did not. Hopefully we get a dedicated menu for VR cockpit display settings soon, but if we don't slouching does the trick for me

It’s my first wheel I’ve had so not much to compare to but it does work really nice. I like the smooth quiet operation of the DD motor. Also nice having PlayStation buttons on the wheel. My only complaint is the wheel connection. The quick release quality feels cheap and I actually have a touch of play in the connection. I hear little clicks now and then of small shifts in the wheel/shaft connection. I’ve built up some electrical tape that helps but it wears out over time and the clock comes back. Overall though very nice for entry level. I just wish the FFB in GT7 was improved.
Seems to be a design flaw. I have the same issue. The lock mechanism doesn't seem to tighten, seems to just hold the wheel in place. A little more tension would more them likely resolve the clicking/play issue. I've actually had times where I put to much pressure on the wheel and lose connection from the buttons and shifter mid race. Am only able to steer. This has happened during races, annoying. 🤬

I suspect that that is an almost impossible question for people who have always had stereo vision to answer. I'm not sure. I am convinced VR is so much more fun/immersive for me. Even though the graphic fidelity hasn't quite lived up to my expectations, the sense of immersion has exceeded them.

So my fairly confident but uneducated guess is that you will absolutely still get lots out of VR. Being able to look 'though' a corner—especially a tight corner like the Carousel at Nordschleife, but every corner—and being able to look at the cars either side of you and in your mirrors changes the experience quite noticeably. And that's going to be almost(?) exactly the same for you, I'd imagine.

Am I picking up extra depth cues from stereo vision? Quite possibly. But my guess is it's not nearly as noticeable as the difference in immersion that comes from no longer having a fixed view, but instead one that changes as you move your head around.

For completeness I am someone who turns off all the on-screen graphics (both on TV and in VR), and has always played in cockpit view. I enjoy getting better, but for me it's the experience of feeling like I am driving amazing cars on amazing roads, rather that those last few tenths of a second per lap, that have me coming back again and again. My mum owns an ND MX5. Driving it in VR, with the sun reflecting off the paintwork on the tops of the inside of the doors, feels so much more like actually driving her car than doing the same thing on the TV it blows me away. It sounds silly given I already have a Fanatec wheel and a Playseat Trophy rig, but now it feels 'real' and what I was doing only a few days ago feels like a toy game. Obviously that language is a bit over the top, but right at the moment that's what it feels like, and I suspect my stereo vision only contributes a tiny fraction of that change. But of course I might be wrong!
This is exactly the information I was after. Thank you so much for your input!

I too aim for maximum realism when driving, so given I don't need racing info, I turn all of the HUD off.

Seems to be a design flaw. I have the same issue. The lock mechanism doesn't seem to tighten, seems to just hold the wheel in place. A little more tension would more them likely resolve the clicking/play issue. I've actually had times where I put to much pressure on the wheel and lose connection from the buttons and shifter mid race. Am only able to steer. This has happened during races, annoying. 🤬
Apparently they’ve been in development for a quick release 2 forever. Not sure what’s taking so long. They should send it to us free of charge but I’m sure they won’t. I still enjoy the wheel but had the new Thrustmaster DD been out when I got mine, that seems to be the best option for GT players. Pricier though I believe.

I adjusted the 2D views to the -5 and -5, switched to VR, got a feel for it. Repeated at +5 and +5. No change. Also worth mentioning I was in the 2015 Dodge Charger, and I drove a 2013 for 6 years IRL so I definitely would have noticed. I still need to slouch forward, reset view, then sit up straight to get a seating position for tall people.

Also adjusted the wobble settings to see if that would affect the horizon lock, it did not. Hopefully we get a dedicated menu for VR cockpit display settings soon, but if we don't slouching does the trick for me
Thanks for that, it must have been in my head then, possibly getting used to the "too high and forward" position that it seems to default to :)

@senzr, I know what you mean about AC and such just not being GT. If you've been playing AC and ACC regularly then I imagine your set-up is pretty well refined and slick by now, whereas whilst I played AC a lot with the Oculus Rift, because it's on a PC it was always a bit clunky, a bit irritating having to use the mouse etc. and take the headset on and off constantly.

GT7's main benefit over AC or similar, is it's much more slickly integrated. You can play the whole game in VR using the wheel (or a controller) and it's all just a bit more polished.

For me compared to AC maybe there isn't that magic 'something' AC has in its modelling of road cars on road tyres, but what GT offers in terms of car modification and variety (and consistency, certainly not all mods in AC are created equal...!) and the ability to easily just jump in and play, it's a big improvement.

Graphically, I don't think it'll blow your mind, it was about what I expected, but for me it is definitely 'sim enough', the online racing is far easier to jump in to, and the whole system is just much slicker to use.

After a few days of using the PSVR2, this will now be the way I race from now on. After go back to license testing & circuit experience, I'm pulling out as fast or faster times then I was with using roof cam. The amount of visibility from the cockpit view is night and day from the 2d screen view, having peripheral vision in VR really opens up the since of space, being able to look to through the side windows or even being able to turn your head to look back really opens up the world. Since the scale of the VR world is close to 1:1 (in my perception) I have a since of scale of the vehicle size as I do in the real world I'm able the put the car up close to other opponents.

One thing that I don't think has be talked about is the sense of speed, with the 2D screen PD uses a wide (FOV) which makes you appear to go a little faster than your really going, in VR your visually going the true speed, but slower compared to TV screen which gives you a few more milliseconds to react to things.

I'm not having the scale issue that some are having, all the vehicles surrounding me and the cockpit appear close to the scale that they would real world, maybe not perfectly, but the driver avatar could have been modeled with a bit more mass.

As far as wearing the headset, it a bit like putting on a new prescription of glasses, there a bit of a strain on the eyes, I found I have to take a break after few races, then come back.

Come on. PSVR2 is half the price of T-GT and T-LCM, but what it brings are from the next dimension. (pun intended)

Seriously for anyone who own neither wheel or PSVR2 and considering upgrading, now I will instantly say go get PSVR2 first.
I actually disagree with this take. While I agree that VR brings a higher level of immersion, the wheel is what really gives you a more dramatic sense of being driving a vehicle, not even mentioning that VR is still very tough for many people who suffer motion sickness

I actually disagree with this take. While I agree that VR brings a higher level of immersion, the wheel is what really gives you a more dramatic sense of being driving a vehicle, not even mentioning that VR is still very tough for many people who suffer motion sickness
Considering the cost, spacing, anchoring and seating requirements for a proper wheel/pedal set, and for many who doesn't have a permanent installation environment that requires additional setup/tearing down work, PSVR2 is really attractive.

Yeah driving a car with DualSense and PSVR2 is not that immersive than driving with a wheel ... but PSVR2 is lightweight, just plug in and can be used while sitting on a couch. When finished all you need to tidy up is wrapping the cable.

In case we want to reset our pancake mode cockpit positions (that is if it even affects VR at all) which is not available to adjust in VR, has anyone turned off the HMD while racing? Does it just revert immediately to 2D or does it kick you out of the race?

After day 2 I was already putting in faster laps on Sardegna, didn't realize it but I was braking too early on TV on T1 (was aiming for the 150 board, but braking probably around 155 on TV when in reality I can brake probably closer to 140) and a few other turns throughout the course. Being able to actually use the mirrors in the McLaren F1 GTR is great too lol.

I started jumping into a bunch of old cars, and it made me laugh when I jumped into The Judge and realized the tach is literally jutting out of the hood, that's so freaking cool. I'm actually super new to cars, new hobby this game got me into so having the chance to really learn more about each car and how well they are modeled is an incredible treat.

I didn't notice it too much with regards to the scale being a touch smaller than real life until I jumped into the 2014 Golf GTI, I own a Jetta that's around the same age and looked at the cup holders, and lo and behold they definitely are like 0.9 scale. Could never put a drink into a cup holder that size lol. Small detriment and very easy to ignore but I did notice it.

Last edited:
I said this earlier in the thread but need to say it again, the stock headphones BLOW, they are hollow and without and stage. I picked up a $30 set of KZ DQ6's and the difference is extreme, much better positional separation and extremely better bass and soundstage. and the headset can drive them room room to spare :)

You can change the headphones out? I have a pair of IEMs that I'd love to be able to use with this.

My first time playing gt7 in Vr after the pub tonight, wish me luck!!!

This should end well. 😂

Is anyone else having to wait forever to charge the sense controllers? They just keep charging and charging and charging...

Edit - the charging light will flash forever unless you're charging through the PS5 or, presumably, the charging tray.

Last edited:
Someone knows how to put the drivers list in VR? For me is a crucial information…
Today first time for me doing races with the VR2 and the experience is really incredible… 🫶🏻
Not possible at the moment, hopefully gets added soon.

Got alot more VR time yesterday, was loving being in the Citreon DS , them dials and all are so crisp clear looking and watching the tachometer ticking over as you travel along is nice touch , though it worked in 2d as well, been playing a bit of Moss 2 , start of Resi Evil Village and loving kayaking in VR :) .

Last edited:
Back