GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
That’s the reason Im going to sell it.. it’s too narrow for my liking. You really have to turn your head too see left or right.. when you look straight you don’t see anything except black around your vision. It took away from my immersion.
I don't have that effect so I'm thinking is not on properly or set up properly. It feels like sitting in the car to me and I do have peripheral vision when looking forward

I find it surprising as I often feel much slower in VR but I keep beating my flat screen times in TTs and Challenges. Maybe it’s due to the lack of motion blur or the fact I’m literally there in the car. It took me a few laps to beat my NSX Daytona TT time. It felt like a slow lap but I was 0.5s faster at the line. I guess my driving is just more precise in VR thanks to depth perception in braking zones and fast corners.

Last edited:
Anyone have a fix for the lenses that fog up during use?
I start sweating quite easily and driving around in the 'mist' is not that fun. You can't focus on the road anymore.

Would it be safe to use a spray like used while diving to keep the lenses from fogging up?

I start sweating quite easily and driving around in the 'mist' is not that fun. You can't focus on the road anymore.

Would it be safe to use a spray like used while diving to keep the lenses from fogging up?
Mine gets some small smears on it during use, according to this you shouldn't use liquid on the lens https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps-vr2-care-maintenance/

I clean it with a microfiber cloth I use for my glasses.

@Rivanov It would be irresponsible of me to encourage you to keep the unit and not return it. This is most certainly your decision to make

That said, would you consider stepping away and then coming back and trying another session and then maybe doing that a few times over the next few days because you do have a full 30 days to get your refund?

The reason I say that is because the first time I tried it I was pretty upset with what I was looking at but I stepped away and did another session and then I stepped away and came back at night and did another session and it keeps getting better.

It's possible that it just takes a little time to click for you.

And, if it doesn't click then you can still return it.

I could be wrong (I'm wrong a lot, just ask my kids. Lol) but it strikes me that you might be overthinking it because you're a little hung up on the actual FOV numbers and because you, like all of us, where misled by content creators before it came out.

Eliminate all the noise from your brain and sit down and recalibrate and use your TV as an anchor (which has helped me a great deal) and tinker with the position of the backstrap and just race for the joy of racing and don't let your mind wander into FOV. Just be present in the particular race you're doing and see if you get enjoyment from it.

If that enjoyment is more than playing flat then you might want to keep it and if it's not, then at least you've tried it multiple times over multiple days and you know that the return is the right choice for you.

Wow. I'm taking a break from my new account play through. I'd reached menu 20 yesterday and I've reached menu 33 as of now.

In my second session today I just couldn't get a good image no matter what I tried. It was only when I switched the view that I saw my glasses, neatly folded up on a table.

I've gained a new appreciation for tracks I've disliked since GTS.

I've had no issues stomach wise, so I think I got my VR legs with the first VR headset.

Interesting to see the YTers struggle between being "fast" and being in VR. Some say it doesn't matter as much, some have been whining a little bit more about being slower or not being able to see the race information or how far away they are from another car.

I doubt I'd watch many YTers if they were not in VR moving forward. Let's me get in their heads a little bit more and see what they're thinking.

Just a little off topic for cinema contents.
Wow and again wow. This beats every home cinema. It’s like to be in a theater. A real theater. Definition is not like hdr and 4k but this is some kind of plus because the feeling is like a real giant screen, with the grain of a real screen, if you get what I mean in my bad English. And cinema is my job. I don’t make mistakes in this

Last edited:
Wow. I'm taking a break from my new account play through. I'd reached menu 20 yesterday and I've reached menu 33 as of now.

In my second session today I just couldn't get a good image no matter what I tried. It was only when I switched the view that I saw my glasses, neatly folded up on a table.

I've gained a new appreciation for tracks I've disliked since GTS.

I've had no issues stomach wise, so I think I got my VR legs with the first VR headset.
Beasting that fresh playthrough like a boss. Think I'm only up to MB10 as of yesterday. Stupid work anyway.

I have to laugh when I read these posts about restricted FOV in a racing game, because I purposely did this on my Quest 2 in order to get a solid framerate to play all my VR sim racing games on my modest PC. The parameter is called FOV tangent multiplier. It allows you to restrict your view in the X and Y axis. I have mine set to .75, .5. This means when I'm in the game, I only see 75% of the horizontal view and 50% of the vertical view. It's like looking through a slot with everything else black. It may seem ridiculous until you try on a real racing helmet or even switch to the helmet cam in games like Project Cars 2 in VR and realize the helmet is even more restricting! This is why VR fits so perfectly with racing games. You actually feel like you're wearing a helmet and seated in a car with the wheel, shifter pedal, etc... (if you have a rig). So after looking through a small slot all this time, having the full view in GT7 feels great!! I couldn't be happier. 😀

Peace \/
chisel316

@Rivanov It would be irresponsible of me to encourage you to keep the unit and not return it. This is most certainly your decision to make

That said, would you consider stepping away and then coming back and trying another session and then maybe doing that a few times over the next few days because you do have a full 30 days to get your refund?

The reason I say that is because the first time I tried it I was pretty upset with what I was looking at but I stepped away and did another session and then I stepped away and came back at night and did another session and it keeps getting better.

It's possible that it just takes a little time to click for you.

And, if it doesn't click then you can still return it.

I could be wrong (I'm wrong a lot, just ask my kids. Lol) but it strikes me that you might be overthinking it because you're a little hung up on the actual FOV numbers and because you, like all of us, where misled by content creators before it came out.

Eliminate all the noise from your brain and sit down and recalibrate and use your TV as an anchor (which has helped me a great deal) and tinker with the position of the backstrap and just race for the joy of racing and don't let your mind wander into FOV. Just be present in the particular race you're doing and see if you get enjoyment from it.

If that enjoyment is more than playing flat then you might want to keep it and if it's not, then at least you've tried it multiple times over multiple days and you know that the return is the right choice for you.
I appreciate your lengthy post and kind words. But the PSVR is already sold. I played numerous times today, but it just didn’t click. It didn’t gave me the absolute wow factor I was hoping for.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a marvelous experience to race like this. But the setback in fidelity was too big for me and wasn’t that immersive unfortunately. That’s completely my opinion ofcourse.

Showroom is great, but for how long. Maybe in the future I will get back to it. But for now I couldn’t justify it to “just keep it” while I’m not 100% satisfied with it.

Already spent nearly € 3000 last month on a new gaming PC. ;)

I have to laugh when I read these posts about restricted FOV in a racing game, because I purposely did this on my Quest 2 in order to get a solid framerate to play all my VR sim racing games on my modest PC. The parameter is called FOV tangent multiplier. It allows you to restrict your view in the X and Y axis. I have mine set to .75, .5. This means when I'm in the game, I only see 75% of the horizontal view and 50% of the vertical view. It's like looking through a slot with everything else black. It may seem ridiculous until you try on a real racing helmet or even switch to the helmet cam in games like Project Cars 2 in VR and realize the helmet is even more restricting! This is why VR fits so perfectly with racing games. You actually feel like you're wearing a helmet and seated in a car with the wheel, shifter pedal, etc... (if you have a rig). So after looking through a small slot all this time, having the full view in GT7 feels great!! I couldn't be happier. 😀

Peace \/
chisel316
When GT 7 is the only game you will play it’s great. But are you climbing mountains or paddling a kayak with a big racing helmet? 😉

Last edited:
I just did a single lap custom go-kart race around the Nordachliefe and had a grin on my face the whole time. So cool.

Any other suggestions for "must try" events?
One of the first ones I did was to drive the X-BOW open cockpit car on the Ring and in the rain. It was a hoot watching the rain come down around me and land on the dash. Also, watching the suspension move as you go around the tracks was fun. It really brought everything to life.

Put my first 3 hours into this headset.

I'd say its fair to call this rendition of Sony's stab at VR a 30% improvement over PSVR1. Its about what I expected it to be, which is pretty damn decent. I've played cockpit view with HUD off exclusively since GTS, so the wow factor of how the sun shines through wasn't as big of a deal to me. The screen door effect tends to feel worse during night (a la the Spa 60 minute race), and it still a tad annoying if you're looking well ahead like all racers do irl. If you've trained yourself over the years to pick up landmarks to use as your braking points, having a hard time reading the signs is pretty much a non issue.

If I pay attention to the dark facemark edges surrounding my vision, its noticeable.... but no more noticeable than my goggles (if I pay attention to it) when I'm racing dirt bikes. But like IRL, I'm looking well ahead of anything less than 50 yards ahead of me.... which circles me back to the screen door affect that's still there.

The scale does seem a skosh off the more time I get into the headset. Can't quite put my finger on wether PD did it on purpose to compensate for the ability to see the face piece of the VR set in the peripherals or not.

Haven't done an online race yet, but regardless the BIGGEST leap forward is I can play the whole game now.

From a future-forward point of view, I think the arrival of PSVR2 lays the groundwork for Sony to release the PS5 Pro console for Q4 of this year. I'm guessing that this headset will do a bit better with more horsepower behind it. Especially in the case of Gran Turismo.

5 years from now when we get PS6 and the subsequent PSVR3, I think we'll be in the sweet box of console VR.

On a personal note...

I think this $600 headset ended up sparing me from building a $3000 Binford 5000 PC with the associated peripherals.
So in a sense, I made about $3400 today by buying a PSVR2.

.....Justification in life, is everything :lol:

EDIT 1: I'm pretty sure that Sony had the GTP crew testing on upgraded console hardware. The screen door effect is noticeable enough to where they would have mentioned it. The GTP cadre would be honest enough in this regard, had they seen what we see

:gtpflag:

EDIT 2:

PD, please remove the lap times from the middle of the screen. Make all necessary information toggle-able in the well-placed virtual HUD. Don't mess up a Picasso with a blemish smack dab in the middle. You're better than that.

Last edited:
Just a little off topic for cinema contents.
Wow and again wow. This beats every home cinema. It’s like to be in a theater. A real theater. Definition is not like hdr and 4k but this is some kind of plus because the feeling is like a real giant screen, with the grain of a real screen, if you get what I mean in my bad English. And cinema is my job. I don’t make mistakes in this
Try a 3d blue ray they look great its proper 3d i can't go to a cinema so i will have to watch avatar2 on the head set :)

Put my first 3 hours into this headset.

I'd say its fair to call this rendition of Sony's stab at VR a 30% improvement over PSVR1. Its about what I expected it to be, which is pretty damn decent. I've played cockpit view with HUD off exclusively since GTS, so the wow factor of how the sun shines through wasn't as big of a deal to me. The screen door effect tends to feel worse during night (a la the Spa 60 minute race), and it still a tad annoying if you're looking well ahead like all racers do irl. If you've trained yourself over the years to pick up landmarks to use as your braking points, having a hard time reading the signs is pretty much a non issue.

If I pay attention to the dark facemark edges surrounding my vision, its noticeable.... but no more noticeable than my goggles (if I pay attention to it) when I'm racing dirt bikes. But like IRL, I'm looking well ahead of anything less than 50 yards ahead of me.... which circles me back to the screen door affect that's still there.

The scale does seem a slosh off the more time I get into the headset. Can't quite put my finger on it on wether PD did it on purpose to compensate for the ability to see the face piece of the VR set in the peripherals or not.

Haven't done an online race yet, but regardless the BIGGEST leap forward is I can play the whole game now.

From a future-forward point of view, I think the arrival of PSVR2 lays the groundwork for Sony to release the PS5 Pro console for Q4 of this year. I'm guessing that this headset will do a bit better with more horsepower behind it. Especially in the case of Gran Turismo.

5 years from now when we get PS6 and the subsequent PSVR3, I think we'll be in the sweet box of console VR.

On a personal note...

I think this $600 headset ended up sparing me from building a $3000 Binford 5000 PC with the associated peripherals.
So in a sense, I made about $3400 today by buying a PSVR2.

.....Justification in life, is everything :lol:

EDIT:

PD, please remove the lap times from the middle of the screen. Make all necessary information toggle-able in the well-placed virtual HUD. Don't mess up a Picasso with a blemish smack dab in the middle. You're better than that.
Yeah, I'd love to see customization of all the visual elements the way Project Cars 2 does it

Well, I guess at some point we'll stop repeating the same things over and over...

But, for now, Road Atlanta and the GR1's, WOW!

I'd like to give credit to whoever highlighted that track and that race but I can't remember who it was so I hope they raise their hand.

Seeing one of those beasts side by side with the blue exhaust flames and the sound... PERFECTION

I find it surprising as I often feel much slower in VR but I keep beating my flat screen times in TTs and Challenges. Maybe it’s due to the lack of motion blur or the fact I’m literally there in the car. It took me a few laps to beat my NSX Daytona TT time. It felt like a slow lap but I was 0.5s faster at the line. I guess my driving is just more precise in VR thanks to depth perception in braking zones and fast corners.
That's because wider (FOV) that PD uses in game makes it seem your going faster than you really are, a wider (FOV) makes objects appear further away, but the time you reach that object is the same no matter what (FOV) you use, so objects in a wide (FOV) have to cover more ground in the same amount of time as narrower (FOV). I think GT5 cockpit view was a good example of this, with options for wide & narrow views, with the narrow views it would really slow things down, GT7 cockpit views options don't change the (FOV).

As a bonus with narrow (FOV) you have a little more time to react to things, but on a flat tv screen you see less around you.

I've called it a day one race into menu 35. I ran the deep forest race twice. Once with a R32. I got third so I won the car I wanted but I led until the hairpin. I left my braking too late and two R35's went passed me. I jumped into my new R35 prize car and won the race at the second attempt.

The best thing I've seen over the last couple days? I slightly nudged the back of an AI car at Daytona Roval. I saw the drivers helmet (green and yellow banded) turn from straight ahead to look to the centre of the car as if checking the centre rear view mirror.

The remaining menu 35 can wait until tomorrow.

Last edited:
I just played a couple of hours in vr and it is much better than i expected. I had downscaled my expectations a bit after the first reviews and expected it to be more blurry overal but when looking at the dials in the cockpit i can read them. Cars and reflections nearby also look good, when looking in the distance there is some blur also on signs when going fast. There is still some screendoor effect but to me it seems like a big improvement over the first psvr.

Has anyone found a way to use the VR2 w/o the TV? I read somewhere that after the initial setup you can use it w/o a TV. Currently it requires me to connect the TV when I power it on. I’d like to use this in a area with no monitor/TV.

EDIT: For some reason, today I was able to power on the VR2 and use it w/o the TV connected. Yesterday I could not. Not sure what I did differently.

Last edited:

Besides using a microfiber cloth, to stop the fogging, try adjusting the IPD a little further away. It happened to me also. I guess the heat from your eyes causes the fogging.

Besides using a microfiber cloth, to stop the fogging, try adjusting the IPD a little further away. It happened to me also. I guess the heat from your eyes causes the fogging.
Do you mean the ”scope”? I don’t have mine as close as possible…maybe two clicks off the closest attainable.

I don’t have an issue with fogging probably due to the fan that’s pointing right at me. Creates a nice effect when driving open wheelers too. It’s similar to when I sit in the shower and play when it’s raining.

Edit: joking of course.. don’t do this kids you’ll die. 🙄

Last edited:
What's everyone's favorite VR Showroom? Mine is the Cafe. I bring every single car there and cycle through the lighting.
I like the lighting in the legends showroom. Last night I spent probably over an hour checking out cars in my garage. Sitting in the cockpit (something I didn't do much before VR) is pretty cool. I was in the '61 Ferrari 250 GT (which is a beautiful car btw) looking a little closer at the instruments. I got down to the last one on the far right of the dash, a clock, and thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be cool if the clock was functional and set to the right time? Probably not too hard to do in a game like this, but they wouldn't bother with a detail like that." As I finished my thought, I realized it actually was functional and actually was the correct time. Funny how little stuff like that can impress you. Somebody asked earlier which cars made more of an impression on you in VR than flat. That little Ferrari did. Also, the '16 Porsche GT3 RS. I painted it Midnight Blue and put red calipers on it. Most cars don't have much of an effect on me just looking at flat pictures, but some cars are like art, sculpture, and need to be seen in 3D. This is one of them. (It's my dream car). Every time I see one in real life, it really looks great. Seeing one in pictures doesn't look all that special. Seeing it in VR is way closer to real life than flat pictures.

Man I love GT7 in VR… Driving on the real world tracks and looking at the scenery in VR is truly amazing! I did a 30 min session which was my longest and once you lock in.. in my opinion the game just looks natural! I might of found the sweet spot because everything was just perfect!

This is exactly the information I was after. Thank you so much for your input!

I too aim for maximum realism when driving, so given I don't need racing info, I turn all of the HUD off.
Puffmoike is right, and it's really difficult to figure out for us having stereo vision. When I misinterpreted your post and answered that stereoscopic 3D was the main part of the blast we get from VR, I guess that for us having depth perception and used to play on flat screens most or our lives, this is a real treat to experience it in video games as well. But it was a huge overstatement to assume that it was the main benefit of VR!

I made a simple experiment and tried to drive a full lap around Watkins Glen with one eye shut. And you know what, it was still incredible and WAY better than anything you can experience on flat screen! It's not like with a 3DS or a 3D movie where I guess you don't experience anything else except a blurrier image, nor even comparable to what you can experience with a panoramic movie on those goggles for smartphone. In VR, even with one eye the whole world lives around you, if it makes sense, and all the 3D models move accordingly to your slightest head movements. If you tilt your head to the right while staring at the speedometer, the steering wheel will move to the left, if you look up the wheel will move down, and vice versa. And it works with every single elements around you. Not only you will be able to look at the corner exits and apexes, but also to look at your mirrors, your legs, the whole cockpit, back seats or anything else, with the same realism as in real life (only the scale varies depending on the cars, but it's still close to 1:1).

Actually, even with one eye shut it still looked so impressive to me that I swear I could perceive the stereoscopics! 😅

Anyway I'm 100% confident that you will experience the same blast that we all experience with VR, you can come back to me for the claims if it's not the case! 😂

And on the bright side, you will probably have an easier time setting up the damn thing and finding the sweet spot! 😁

Last edited:
Back