GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
In case we want to reset our pancake mode cockpit positions (that is if it even affects VR at all) which is not available to adjust in VR, has anyone turned off the HMD while racing? Does it just revert immediately to 2D or does it kick you out of the race?
Based on the testing I did earlier the settings had no affect anyway.

Apparently the PSVR2 has a 110 degree field of view, which is far less than 180 degrees that humans have and not a whole lot more than the 80 degrees that we get with GT7 on a TV.

With that in mind, how “surrounded” do you really feel when looking straight on? I know you can turn your ahead to look around, but that’s different from seeing / sensing something in the corner of your eye.

Going to sell mine. It doesn’t cut it for me unfortunately. The 4K YouTube video’s leading up to release spoiled me and gave me a wrong impression.

Apparently the PSVR2 has a 110 degree field of view, which is far less than 180 degrees that humans have and not a whole lot more than the 80 degrees that we get with GT7 on a TV.

With that in mind, how “surrounded” do you really feel when looking straight on? I know you can turn your ahead to look around, but that’s different from seeing / sensing something in the corner of your eye.
That’s the reason Im going to sell it.. it’s too narrow for my liking. You really have to turn your head too see left or right.. when you look straight you don’t see anything except black around your vision. It took away from my immersion.

maybe you gavn't found the sweet spot yet..
Yes I have. But even with the sweetspot the graphics in GT7 are too grainy and fuzzy for my liking. It’s nowhere near the quality you see in all the YouTube videos. This afternoon i streamed via Twitch to show it to a friend of mine. When I watched that stream later on, it was prettier than the image quality I see when driving

My expectations were just too high i think. The 110 FOV is in VR terms very wide maybe, but still too narrow for me personally. I just wasn’t WOWed as I would hope I’ll be

Yeah, a lot of the YouTube reviews make it out as being exactly like sitting in the real car, but I just don’t see how that’s possible with only 110 degrees. I have no doubt it’s still an amazing experience, undoubtedly better than a tv, but not a lot of talk about where it falls short of reality.

VR Showroom is great. But for me, just like Forzavista, more a gimmick you use in the beginning or to show of to other people.. but that’s it. And even showing to other people is difficult since setting the PSVR for other people is a hassle. 😉

Yes I have. But even with the sweetspot the graphics in GT7 are too grainy and fuzzy for my liking. It’s nowhere near the quality you see in all the YouTube videos. This afternoon i streamed via Twitch to show it to a friend of mine. When I watched that stream later on, it was prettier than the image quality I see when driving

My expectations were just too high i think. The 110 FOV is in VR terms very wide maybe, but still too narrow for me personally. I just wasn’t WOWed as I would hope I’ll be
Yeah, I get that, you certainly are looking through a pair of goggles, would be amazing to have full peripheral vision. It seems like just a limitation with current VR design, maybe it'll improve with a next generation of headsets. Not enough for me to not immensely enjoy it but, you are definitely looking through goggles.

Sounds to me like you have not found the sweetspot yet 🤷‍♂️

Personally think the FOV is fine.

Maybe this is helpful:

Last edited:
That’s the reason Im going to sell it.. it’s too narrow for my liking. You really have to turn your head too see left or right.. when you look straight you don’t see anything except black around your vision. It took away from my immersion.
I barely notice the "porthole" effect anymore. Sitting in my rig with my wheel and pedals and this VR experience and feeling like I'm really in a car (and blocking out everything else going on in my house) is something I can't ever go back from. Totally respect your opinion but not really sure how there's more "immersion" or realism sitting in front of a flat TV surrounded by real life in your house LOL

Last edited:
The FOV with this headset definitely seems larger than my Reverb G2. The G2 makes you constantly aware of it's limited FOV, however after a few minutes you just adapt. The PSVR2 headset is much better, in this regard, and I just imagine I'm wearing a helmet with less than ideal peripheral vision. 😉

The FOV with this headset definitely seems larger than my Reverb G2. The G2 makes you constantly aware of it's limited FOV, however after a few minutes you just adapt. The PSVR2 headset is much better, in this regard, and I just imagine I'm wearing a helmet with less than ideal peripheral vision. 😉
The beauty of how well VR is suited for racing right? The limitations actually mimic real life issues!

That's what I tell myself, too. I actually find it a bit more noticeable/distracting/less realistic in non-GT7 applications, like Call of the Mountain.

whereas whilst I played AC a lot with the Oculus Rift, because it's on a PC it was always a bit clunky, a bit irritating having to use the mouse etc. and take the headset on and off constantly.
THIS! Once I get the PSVR2 on, I don't have to take it off for hours. In all the PC sims (except AMS2) I have to constantly, take the headset off and put it back on. CONSTANTLY. It's such a joy to keep this on for my entire racing session.

I also wish they would get rid of the "PRESS O TO GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS SCREEN" while in pass through mode. Ok, I got it, now get rid of this graphic from the center of my line of sight.

Goodness gracious. Tokyo Expwy SIL is amazing from Evening through early morning. Transitioning from sundown to sun up and the starry sky in between. I shook my head all race.
Having an N2 race, couldn’t take eyes off the liveries I made for each car. The decals come alive. Looking at the wheels, overfenders, the roll cages of the other cars. It’s way better than a flat tv.

I use the DS4 and can’t comment on current wheel use as a better immersion tool, but neither car controller can simulate touching anything in VR. I’m not asking, but having the baby driver arms activate switches for lights, wipers and capturing the player movements with a modern Eye-Toy, would be the ultimate immersion.

I don't know anything about numbers as it relates to FOV. I only know that my experience has been indescribably AMAZING!

I'm a little disappointed with content creators who unequivocally and intentionally misled their viewers.

Only A F T E R the presales were collected and the unit launched, did Kireth release a video entitled "Why the PSVr2 is blurry..."

Prior to launch, not a single mention of the fact that, what you see on your screen while watching their content, isn't a real replication of what they see in their headsets.

If someone did indeed mention it and I missed it, apologies in advance but I watched a lot of videos which helped influence my decision to purchase and I don't remember anybody mentioning it.

This is what happens when influencers get FREE product. They always come with loose, and sometimes strict, guidelines on what they can and cannot say.

I still love it and I'm hooked to the point that I can't race any other way now. I have never owned a VR headset before so I don't know if that great feeling will dissipate but it's how I feel right now.

There are several smart members in this forum who have done an AMAZING job of educating us on VR and racing games as well as VR in general.

Those are the people I trust.

Last edited:
I was one of the earlier “initially disappointed with image quality’ commenters. (Photographer and graphic, designer, if that rings any bells for the thread completists).

I tried the ‘crouch and hold down Option’. That seemed to help.

I tried the ‘make sure you get the headset low on the back of your head’. That also seemed to help.

I also recalibrated the eye tracker, which wasn’t properly recognising the top three of the seven(?) dots.

And after doing a custom race of Sardenga(?) in a kart in VR I immediately did the same race on my 65” LG OLED TV for comparison.

Yes, the graphics on the TV were much better - the colours, the detail, the corner-to-corner clarity. But no, I don’t think I’ll ever drive in GT7 on my TV again.

Now I’ve tasted the immersion I don’t want to go back.

As an analogy I’d much rather watch my favourite movie or TV show on an average TV than watch an average show on my favourite TV.

Or to put it in photography terms, I’d much rather look at photos taken by an amazing photographer using an average camera, than those of an average photographer using high-end gear.
So, looks like we are very much alike. It’s kind of curious that you needed to ‘watch again on you tv to ensure that it is indeed better’… so this was expected from the beginning, but if the change was so apparent, you wouldn’t have to compare it right?

Written text might seem aggressive, but I am genuinely interested. I just went to 3 shops in my hometown, just one had it in stock and none had it installed - let alone when trying on the store I dont expect them to properly calibrate it on every testers head. Went with cash in hand and all but chickened out last second.. :/

I don't know anything about numbers as it relates to FOV. I only know that my experience has been indescribably AMAZING!

I'm a little disappointed with content creators who unequivocally and intentionally misled their viewers.

Only A F T E R the presales were collected and the unit launched, did Kireth release a video entitled "Why the PSVr2 is blurry..."

Prior to launch, not a single mention of the fact that, what you see on your screen while watching their content, isn't a real replication of what they see in their headsets.

If someone did indeed mention it and I missed it, apologies in advance but I watched a lot of videos which helped influence my decision to purchase and I remember anybody mentioning it.

This is what happens when influencers get FREE product. They always come with loose, and sometimes strict, guidelines on what they can and cannot say.

I still love it and I'm hooked to the point that I can't race any other way now. I have never owned a VR headset before so I don't know if that great feeling will dissipate but it's how I feel right now.

There are several smart members in this forum who have done an AMAZING job of educating us on VR and racing games as well as VR in general.

Those are the people I trust.
I was annoyed too when I got mine and it didn't look good and I was not impressed, but that was down too not configuring properly, All the hype from reviewers and not mentioning the downsides too it, but if they had I may never have bought it :)

Going to sell mine. It doesn’t cut it for me unfortunately. The 4K YouTube video’s leading up to release spoiled me and gave me a wrong impression.
I think that's fair, but just for curiosity's sake, have you used other VR headsets? Unfortunately, the state of the art is still at the point where you get the looking through a helmet visor and we still have a ways to go for getting up to FoVs over 150 degrees. We are still not in the territory where we get close to rea life visual experience but rather at a point where you can easily learn to ignore the differences and play with more immersion.

Finally, as it's just a few days past the release, you might look into returning it for the fll money back rather than selling at a potential loss.

PSVR had 96degree fov, I dont recall having black around my vision then in GT sport, it looked/felt like the visuals were all around me.
How close do you have the lens of the headset? I had it so my eyelashes brushed against the lens, the closer the better to the eyeballs.
You should be seeing 180degree screen/visuals for your eyes, even if those visuals are only generating a simulated 96degree fov or 110 on the PSVR2.
Im still preparing space/unboxing my PSVR2 so havent checked to see if there is a reason you cant get the eyes close to the lens.
Edit: though I may be misunderstanding what FOV actually is. I thought it means rendered graphics. As otherwise you can get any flat screen TV and rest your eyes against it and get a nearly full 180fov...
Dont know, but I felt absolutely in the game without borders in the 96degree fov PSVR.

Last edited:
THIS! Once I get the PSVR2 on, I don't have to take it off for hours. In all the PC sims (except AMS2) I have to constantly, take the headset off and put it back on. CONSTANTLY. It's such a joy to keep this on for my entire racing session.

I also wish they would get rid of the "PRESS O TO GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS SCREEN" while in pass through mode. Ok, I got it, now get rid of this graphic from the center of my line of sight.
You can just press the pass through button again too.

PSVR had 96degree fov, I dont recall having black around my vision then in GT sport, it looked/felt like the visuals were all around me.
How close do you have the lens of the headset? I had it so my eyelashes brushed against the lens, the closer the better to the eyeballs.
You should be seeing 180degree screen/visuals for your eyes, even if those visuals are only generating a simulated 96degree fov or 110 on the PSVR2.
Im still preparing space/unboxing my PSVR2 so havent checked to see if there is a reason you cant get the eyes close to the lens.
I had it maxed out to my face, to the poinit was pushing against my eyes and forehead. ;)
believe me, I have done everything I could. I had found the sweetspot were it was sharp in the middle of my vision.

The “porthole / goggles” are just too distracting for me.
yeah I get the whole “it looks like you’re wearing a helmet” thing.

But I’m not wearing a helmet climbing mountains or solving puzzles.

So, looks like we are very much alike. It’s kind of curious that you needed to ‘watch again on you tv to ensure that it is indeed better’… so this was expected from the beginning, but if the change was so apparent, you wouldn’t have to compare it right?

Written text might seem aggressive, but I am genuinely interested. I just went to 3 shops in my hometown, just one had it in stock and none had it installed - let alone when trying on the store I dont expect them to properly calibrate it on every testers head. Went with cash in hand and all but chickened out last second.. :/
You made a mistake, dude 😂
I had it maxed out to my face, to the poinit was pushing against my eyes and forehead. ;)
believe me, I have done everything I could. I had found the sweetspot were it was sharp in the middle of my vision.

The “porthole / goggles” are just too distracting for me.
yeah I get the whole “it looks like you’re wearing a helmet” thing.

But I’m not wearing a helmet climbing mountains or solving puzzles.
Just pretend you're a Mandalorian or Darth Vader playing games in your down time.

Back