GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
For people with simrigs who are having issues with the back of their headsets pressing on the chair, I got one of these knock off Bride neck rests from aliexpress for about $15, have not had a single issue with the headset rubbing

Attachments

• PXL_20230227_170606683.jpg
    PXL_20230227_170606683.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
The dial in the back really impedes my ability to sit comfortably and rest my head against my chair.
Most headsets have a dial in the back. You are going to have to get used to it or invent a workaround.
Blurry text, is it me, or does the eye tracking not work when in the menu screens in GT7?
Menu screens in GT7 are 2D so, no, eye tracking does not work. I take the HMD off after racing and then when I am finished in the menus I put it back on for racing.
Add cushioned padding between the nose 'curtain'(?) and the lenses. It'd be nice to have some paddig there so the whole unit doesn't have to be quite so tight around my head, distribute that weight.
I also ran in to this initially, but it turns out I was needlessly tightening too much. I was getting the feeling that the HMD was going to be constantly sliding down my forehead so I was tightening a lot and it was causing pain. Now I just tighten a tiny bit, and although it may seem the HMD is loose, it stays put very well.
I keep having the screen get tilted to the right between race sessions and I have to hit the button to view my surroundings, look straight ahead again to re-center it and then go back into VR. Why can't it remember where 'straight on' is?
It's normal for a VR headset to re-position itself when swapping between 2D and 3D. The problem in GT7 is that this change is very frequent, and the issue is compounded by the fact that the re-center button also happens to be the pause button. I have gotten used to it and know to keep my head still between transitions from 2D to 3D, but it would be really nice if PD could give us a mappable re-center button that is NOT shared with the pause button.

I've also been over-tightening the headset, I find either the lenses dig in to the bridge of my nose (which is a bit broad) or the back head-strap digs in to the back of my head on the edges, there's just hard plastic under the quite slim padding where the headphones plug in etc. which seems a bit silly.

I have just taken to wearing it slightly looser and hanging it further up my head at the front and it does stay pretty well positioned, and it's quite easy to nudge back into position while racing. Every so often it all just lines up so perfectly and it's so sharp, it's great, I think it's just a fact of life with having a screen strapped to your face though until someone comes up with something cleverer.

The adjustment dial is also a bit irritating with the Playseat Trophy, and I'm finding with extended use my lower back is quite arched as well, I did about 600km yesterday and can feel it in my lower back today, specifically on the left side, from my braking foot.

In terms of play area etc., I have scanned a large area but the seat is outside of that. When I start it up sat in the rig, I just select the seated play option and it sets it as a temporary space with no issue. The TV isn't directly infront and I have had a few random losses of tracking as the room has gotten darker, but it is a dark wall without anything on it directly in front of the headset, so I'm thinking I'll put some pictures up to give it something to track on!

No problems on my side. I am doing 1 hour endurance races, and sardenga WTC800 or LeMans WTC700 and don't have any problems, but I do need more breaks than playing on flat screen.
This. I’m doing the same events with a couple extra races and I’m done. A couple of yawns due to fatigue, not boredom. I’m smiling and shaking my head because of the immersion. There’s no better way to play, regardless of what a player uses to steer.

While the immersion is 2nd to none and I don't think I can go back to racing how I used to with my TV and hoodcam, there are some drawbacks.

1a) The dial in the back really impedes my ability to sit comfortably and rest my head against my chair. While tiliting my seat back may have fixed the issue, this is a huge oversight imo. To have this game be ready for VR from the get-go and then no one brings this to light along the way (or big shots who only care about sales shot the idea down), is a shame. Having the dial off to the left or right, or both could've made it more comfortable I think.

1b) Blurry text, is it me, or does the eye tracking not work when in the menu screens in GT7? The text is very blurry when using my peripheral vision and I have to physically move/tilt my head to get that text to be crisp. I will say I have zero issues with this when on track. But its still super annoying.

2) Add cushioned padding between the nose 'curtain'(?) and the lenses. It'd be nice to have some paddig there so the whole unit doesn't have to be quite so tight around my head, distribute that weight.

3) I keep having the screen get tilted to the right between race sessions and I have to hit the button to view my surroundings, look straight ahead again to re-center it and then go back into VR. Why can't it remember where 'straight on' is?

Thats it for now. On the off-chance someone is on the fence about buying one of these, hope it helps determine whether or not to get it.

Jerome
1b) I think that hs to do with the menu screens being 2D. You have to look where you want to see to be clear.

3) No need to get out of VR. Press and hold the OPTION button and it will re-center the screen to where you are facing.

I wonder in the case of some people wearing glasses or contact lenses is the bias of there prescription set more towards far sitedness that might be causing blurriness since the lenses in the headset is right upon the eyes. I just updated my contact prescription with the bias towards far sitedness and see the world fine, even the computer screen, but can't resolve the detail in VR as well as my glasses.

Hi guys, first of all: THANKS for welcoming me in these weeks, Thanks Jordan, Thanks Famine and thanks for the patience in reading somebody which doesn't properly write a good English. SOOOOO:

1. MOTION SICKNESS PEOPLE IN THE WORLD: THERE IS HOPE! After three laps at 35 km/h with a 500 for 3 days, I decided to try and guess whatttt: NO MOTION SICKNESS! (Ok, now my head is upside down, but I did a lot of laps!). First I tried with joypad the licenses with some supercar and I was considerably faster, then I said..."ok, let's try my Gran Turismo wheel and GT Omega chair, and that....welll.
2. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING! First I Tried the Formula whatever is in Laguna Seca, WOWWWWW!!! Then I was in Lago Maggiore with a Porsche and I started a real competition. I saw a downhill! A real Downhill! I was able to control my car like in real life! When I was nine my father took me to visit Ferrari Factory, 30 km from Bologna, and he said me "Niki Lauda uses to say - you drive with your ass -" Well, I was driving with my ass!! The combination wheel + Vr + Gran Turismo makes you really drive!!! So....wellll...
3. YOU DON'T NEED ANY HELP OR ASSIST ANYMORE. I started to understand that the suggested braking lines are no more useful, because you drive with your skills and your sight. It's no more bidimensional, it's....true. I was making a spin, but I managed to control my car with some kind of "real driving!" That means that....well....
4. Going back it's not possibile. Driving in flat television makes no sense, no more. If my dizziness will definitively go away, I am really thinking that I am faster in VR instead of flat tv.

THE DOWNSIDES

1. Yes, Graphics Is a huge downgrade. But honestly, the immersion, is, wow, wow, mamma mia!
2. Vr Replay is insane, but I am experiencing a big flaw: Cars seem blurry and "doubled", they are really funny not in a positive way. Maybe a refresh problem? Anybody else is experiencing this?
3. I don't know if my brain will get finally used to this. So far, this evening, I feel dizzy but I sustained a real race, in Lago Maggiore, going up and down, with some spin, I was easily second and I don't really feel bad, I just feel...weird. It will improve, hopefully.

Last edited:
With the amount of space needed for room scan, I’m wondering would the vr2 work with my under the stairs sim rig setup?

I’ve a wall about a foot to the left of me and another wall about 4 or 5 foot in front, with underside of stairs directly behind my head.

I wonder in the case of some people wearing glasses or contact lenses is the bias of there prescription set more towards far sitedness that might be causing blurriness since the lenses in the headset is right upon the eyes. I just updated my contact prescription with the bias towards far sitedness and see the world fine, even the computer screen, but can't resolve the detail in VR as well as my glasses.
If you are having trouble focusing on close objects, it is most likely an IPD issue. The focal distance of things in VR is about 6 feet away usually so you would have to be quite far-sighted.

Last edited:
The last one about the playseat/headrest is also an issue for me. I would rest my head against the back of it but now the clicker wheel gets in the way and feels weird. Almost feel like Neo from the Matrix when he has the connector thing in the back of his head.

1a) The dial in the back really impedes my ability to sit comfortably and rest my head against my chair. While tiliting my seat back may have fixed the issue, this is a huge oversight imo. To have this game be ready for VR from the get-go and then no one brings this to light along the way (or big shots who only care about sales shot the idea down), is a shame. Having the dial off to the left or right, or both could've made it more comfortable I think.
I would suggest maybe trying one of those horseshoe shaped neck pillows. I've used one a couple times while watching tv in bed because it keeps my head slightly forward while giving support. Luckily, I have a Mustang bucket seat in my rig and all I had to do was raise the headrest to avoid the dial. And it is angled forward so I can still rest my head against it.
2) Add cushioned padding between the nose 'curtain'(?) and the lenses. It'd be nice to have some paddig there so the whole unit doesn't have to be quite so tight around my head, distribute that weight.
I find this to be an issue sometimes also because my headphones wont let the VR2 headband to go lower on my head. I going to look for something simple I can rest on my nose that will prevent this. Perhaps something similar to a bandaid without the stickiness. As others mentioned keeping the headset loose helps somewhat, but once you become aware of the pressure it's hard to forget about until you get really immersed in the game.

Edit: Bingo, this worked. I checked and had a couple large pad bandaids (w/comfort-flex technology, lol) and cut the edges off. Just rest it the nose before you put the headset on and helps against the bottom digging into your nose. 👍

Last edited:
Hi all.
Sorry if this has been up before, but this is starting to be a long thread =)
I noticed something when i played GT7 today in VR.
I have adjusted the headset and done all the eye tracking stuff and got the sharpest image i could get on track (I think).
But it didnt seem that the eye tracking was active, because when i look to the sides or up and down without moving my head it got blurry. If i move my head that sweetspot-point moved with it.

My understanding of eye tracking was that just moving your gaze should render where you looked.

Have any of you experienced this?

Has anyone noticed their head position in the car "drifting"? I noticed this today for the first time, it was strange and a little immersion breaking but not too bad once I knew to anticipate it.

I also notice when I start up the headset it usually asks me to scan my room, which is annoying when I am sitting in my sim rig. My rig is facing the corner of my room so I am thinking maybe it is having problems tracking. I am thinking maybe if I put some stuff on the wall it will have more reference points to track. Overall it is working well once I get over the lower than ideal picture quality that sounds like is just inherent with VR.
I also have the problem, with the headset asking me to scan my room every time I put it on. Its pretty annoying.

Its also irritating having to press and hold options every time I get in a car to simulate moving the seat position. If I don't do that I am placed way to much forward in the car, I can't even see the mirror's.

Other than that I am having a blast using this thing. I have for a long time thought about buying a heafty gaming PC, but now I think I will stick with this for like 1/6 the cost of what the PC alone would cost.

Last edited:
I also have the problem, with the headset asking me to scan my room everytime i put it on.

Its pretty annoying.

Its also annoying having to press and hold options every time I get in a car to simulate moving the sat position. If I don't do that I am placed way to much forward in the car, I can't even see the mirror's
A sort of a fix for your second statement there is to place your head a bit forward before the race starts. just as you do when you hit options.
At least then you dont need to mess up an online race...

What does this stand for?

Anyway, I just booted up the ol' Quest 2 and played Gorilla Tag, for 30 minutes, standing up. Nothin'. I guess this means I won't have a problem with motion sickness in GT7...

Last edited:
Its also annoying having to press and hold options every time I get in a car to simulate moving the sat position. If I don't do that I am placed way to much forward in the car, I can't even see the mirror's
Thanks for answering the question I was just about to ask. 👍

I had my first go yesterday and felt a bit like...
things-not-to-do-in-car-with-sitting-close-to-the-1f8d.jpg

crossed with...
kNU_sGc-IGjKLUhe3vPihNLDws7uvD_oBexnehLkPR4.jpg

...whenever I looked down.

I'm also having a bit of a dilemma with what todo about blurriness. I have reading glasses and also have a different set of glasses for slightly longer distances, like when I use my sim rig, and then I don't wear any for normal viewing of a TV. Which would be my best option for VR :confused:

At least no motion sickness to date... and an enjoyable experience overall.

I also have the problem, with the headset asking me to scan my room every time I put it on. Its pretty annoying.

Its also irritating having to press and hold options every time I get in a car to simulate moving the seat position. If I don't do that I am placed way to much forward in the car, I can't even see the mirror's.

Other than that I am having a blast using this thing. I have for a long time thought about buying a heafty gaming PC, but now I think I will stick with this for like 1/6 the cost of what the PC alone would cost.
Unsure what exactly I did to fix it but now when I start it only asks me if I am sitting or standing, no need to rescan. to fix my drifting issue I made sure the lights in my room are on full bright and turned on tracking support in the psvr2 settings

Unsure what exactly I did to fix it but now when I start it only asks me if I am sitting or standing, no need to rescan. to fix my drifting issue I made sure the lights in my room are on full bright and turned on tracking support in the psvr2 settings
Ok I will try to make my room more bright I gues

Hi all.
Sorry if this has been up before, but this is starting to be a long thread =)
I noticed something when i played GT7 today in VR.
I have adjusted the headset and done all the eye tracking stuff and got the sharpest image i could get on track (I think).
But it didnt seem that the eye tracking was active, because when i look to the sides or up and down without moving my head it got blurry. If i move my head that sweetspot-point moved with it.

My understanding of eye tracking was that just moving your gaze should render where you looked.

Have any of you experienced this?
I believe the eye tracking your referring to has to be implemented into the game by the developer. From reviews I've seen I think Rez Infinite uses it to lock on to targets and games like Horizon & Switchback use it to help aiming at enemies. PD just expects you to move your head a little to look at your mirrors and such because your FOV in cockpit view is so limited.

Last edited:
I believe the eye tracking your referring to has to be implemented into the game by the developer. From reviews I've seen I think Rez Infinite uses it to lock on to targets and games like Horizon & Switchback use it to help aiming at enemies. PD just expects you to move your head a little to look at your mirrors and such because your FOV in cockpit view is so limited.
Yeah, could very well be as you say. I just noticed it for the first time when i did some qualifying laps at the daily races.

PD just expects you to move your head a little to look at your mirrors and such because your FOV in cockpit view is so limited.
Too bad it is not used to optimize the image quality where your eyes look, maybe in a future update but I doubt it. It is faster and more convenient to move our eyes than our head, especially for quick glances at mirrors.

Initially one of my main concerns was the sight line being locked to the horizon. After playing for many hours every day since last week, I can say that it doesn't bother me that much anymore and if you want your line of sight locked to the car, be careful what you wish for. I'll explain.

The game itself is running at 60Hz and then the system is doubling the frames to make it appear smooth at 120Hz. This reprojection is the biggest culprit with the graphics for me. All the ghosting and double images is a result of this reprojection. If you park your car and look around the track, everything is quite nice, graphically. However, once you start to drive, and go into a curve, soft blurring is what you'll see outside the car. The car stays sharp, but the world blurs a bit. It's not too bad down the straights, but once you turn, any sharpness is gone.

The view being locked to the horizon is actually helping keep the picture as sharp as it can. If the view was locked to the car, your outside view would be a constant blurry mess. Every bump, turn, and hard braking would require the world to move outside, causing this softness.

Can Sony fix this? I think so, but they may have made as many compromises that they could to get the game to it's current state, which I really enjoy.

Just got my psvr2 on launch day. So far so good. I don't think I'll ever play gt7 without going forward. Some minor gripes here and there. Mainly graphics issues, slight but noticeable grainy texture. No big deal though you get used to it. One major issue however. I wear glasses 2hrs into my VR journey i removed the headset and noticed that both my glasses and vr lenses were scuffed up pretty badly. I have been trying desperately trying to buff out those scuff marks from the headset with "polywatch". Unfortunately the scuff marks are too deep and won't go away. Does anyone know if scuff marks or scratches are covered under sonys warranty? If it is not covered i don't mind paying a repair fee. I read somewhere sony charges $100 to get the lenses replaced. Anyone else experience this before?

Back