GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
But it didnt seem that the eye tracking was active, because when i look to the sides or up and down without moving my head it got blurry. If i move my head that sweetspot-point moved with it.

My understanding of eye tracking was that just moving your gaze should render where you looked.

I think this is just the physics of light and the Fresnel lenses. Looking straight ahead is in the sweet spot, and the further to the edges you look the greater the aberration.

This is most noticeable in the menus because the design
a) has thin white lines on a black background, and
b) is static.

Different wavelengths of light (different colours) are refracted (bent) by different amounts as they pass through a lens (think of the cover of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon). White is made by the RGB pixels all being on, and the blue light is bent more by the lenses than the green, which both bend more than the red. Which is why you see the fringeing, and why it gets worse the closer to the edges you look.

The same thing is happening when you’re driving, but there’s fewer instances of high contrast thin white lines on dark backgrounds, and more importantly everything is moving quickly and you’re concentrating on not crashing.

The eye-tracking tech means it displays the area you’re looking at in greater fidelity, but it can’t do anything about the physics of light refraction.

Last edited:
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this but where can I find the "lock to Horizon" option?
There is no option to 'lock to horizon', this is how PD has set by default, basically no matter what happens to your car you stay upright, roll your car the car rolls around you, go up on the high banks of Daytona, you remain upright to the horizon while your car leans. Better would to have it set with your car, on Daytona you & your car leans, you would have to tilt your head to stay upright.

Last edited:
Just got my psvr2 on launch day. So far so good. I don't think I'll ever play gt7 without going forward. Some minor gripes here and there. Mainly graphics issues, slight but noticeable grainy texture. No big deal though you get used to it. One major issue however. I wear glasses 2hrs into my VR journey i removed the headset and noticed that both my glasses and vr lenses were scuffed up pretty badly. I have been trying desperately trying to buff out those scuff marks from the headset with "polywatch". Unfortunately the scuff marks are too deep and won't go away. Does anyone know if scuff marks or scratches are covered under sonys warranty? If it is not covered i don't mind paying a repair fee. I read somewhere sony charges $100 to get the lenses replaced. Anyone else experience this before?
Oh boy, sorry to hear that. That is NOT good. You could just do a return and put defective as the reason. They don't even really ask you for reasons, anyway.

I have been researching exchanges because my left Sense controller doesn't work (thousands are having problems with the controllers) and what people are doing is organizing a return, getting the shipping label, ordering a new one, and returning the old one.

You could always claim that the lenses were damaged when you received them. I know many people don't like "lying" like this, but honestly almost a week after launch with widespread controller issues and Sony not acknowledging there is even a problem I say screw 'em on this one.

Of course there is a chance Sony could come back and say "hey dude, it's obvious you ruined these lenses" so I really don't know what to tell you. It's a tough situation. I doubt you can get lens replacements now. What they are telling us with controller problems is: send in the whole kit, you will get it back fixed or a brand new kit within 40 business days. They WILL NOT accept only the faulty controller for review. Screw that.

Oh boy, sorry to hear that. That is NOT good. You could just do a return and put defective as the reason. They don't even really ask you for reasons, anyway.

I have been researching exchanges because my left Sense controller doesn't work (thousands are having problems with the controllers) and what people are doing is organizing a return, getting the shipping label, ordering a new one, and returning the old one.

You could always claim that the lenses were damaged when you received them. I know many people don't like "lying" like this, but honestly almost a week after launch with widespread controller issues and Sony not acknowledging there is even a problem I say screw 'em on this one.

Of course there is a chance Sony could come back and say "hey dude, it's obvious you ruined these lenses" so I really don't know what to tell you. It's a tough situation. I doubt you can get lens replacements now. What they are telling us with controller problems is: send in the whole kit, you will get it back fixed or a brand new kit within 40 business days. They WILL NOT accept only the faulty controller for review. Screw that.
Great news just got off the phone with playstation support and turns out Sony does cover scuff marks/scratches on PSVR2 lenses under warranty. The playstation rep however did inform me that certain types of damages to the headset are not covered such as dropping or deliberately throwing the headset or controllers. It's gonna take up to 20 business days unfortunately to complete the "repair" process but well worth it given the huge pricetag we pay for these things. Since then i have invested in some pretty neat prescription lenses by a company called reloptix to hopefully prevent any future scratches to my next psvr2 headset.

Hi guys, first of all: THANKS for welcoming me in these weeks, Thanks Jordan, Thanks Famine and thanks for the patience in reading somebody which doesn't properly write a good English. SOOOOO:

1. MOTION SICKNESS PEOPLE IN THE WORLD: THERE IS HOPE! After three laps at 35 km/h with a 500 for 3 days, I decided to try and guess whatttt: NO MOTION SICKNESS! (Ok, now my head is upside down, but I did a lot of laps!). First I tried with joypad the licenses with some supercar and I was considerably faster, then I said..."ok, let's try my Gran Turismo wheel and GT Omega chair, and that....welll.
2. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING! First I Tried the Formula whatever is in Laguna Seca, WOWWWWW!!! Then I was in Lago Maggiore with a Porsche and I started a real competition. I saw a downhill! A real Downhill! I was able to control my car like in real life! When I was nine my father took me to visit Ferrari Factory, 30 km from Bologna, and he said me "Niki Lauda uses to say - you drive with your ass -" Well, I was driving with my ass!! The combination wheel + Vr + Gran Turismo makes you really drive!!! So....wellll...
3. YOU DON'T NEED ANY HELP OR ASSIST ANYMORE. I started to understand that the suggested braking lines are no more useful, because you drive with your skills and your sight. It's no more bidimensional, it's....true. I was making a spin, but I managed to control my car with some kind of "real driving!" That means that....well....
4. Going back it's not possibile. Driving in flat television makes no sense, no more. If my dizziness will definitively go away, I am really thinking that I am faster in VR instead of flat tv.

THE DOWNSIDES

1. Yes, Graphics Is a huge downgrade. But honestly, the immersion, is, wow, wow, mamma mia!
2. Vr Replay is insane, but I am experiencing a big flaw: Cars seem blurry and "doubled", they are really funny not in a positive way. Maybe a refresh problem? Anybody else is experiencing this?
3. I don't know if my brain will get finally used to this. So far, this evening, I feel dizzy but I sustained a real race, in Lago Maggiore, going up and down, with some spin, I was easily second and I don't really feel bad, I just feel...weird. It will improve, hopefully.
I didn't realize that you were playing with a controller! That explains a lot 😁

I mentionned it many times on this thread, but the only time I was sick with GT sport in VR was when I initially tried it with a controller before getting my G29.

Having a FFB wheel helps fooling your inner ear and makes it believe that you are actually driving, which greatly reduces the chances of getting sick!

Also, setting strong FFB settings gives even better results! I definitively recommend setting strong FFB for those having motion sickness issues.

I have a DD pro 8nm and use it with max torque and sensitivity both on 10, and I swear I could do a 12 hours race in one shot without feeling any sort of dizziness! 😅

Try out and let me know if it improves your experience as well.

But even if it's frustrating, stop playing before feeling dizzy, your next session will only get better 👍

How do you switch locations in the VR Showroom? No matter what car I pick I end up in what looks like a drab underground parking lot.

How do you switch locations in the VR Showroom? No matter what car I pick I end up in what looks like a drab underground parking lot.
You can only switch locations in the garage for cars you own I believe. The ones in the dealerships are locked to a single place.

Last edited:

Attachments

• PXL_20230228_023701042.jpg
    PXL_20230228_023701042.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 15
Great news just got off the phone with playstation support and turns out Sony does cover scuff marks/scratches on PSVR2 lenses under warranty. The playstation rep however did inform me that certain types of damages to the headset are not covered such as dropping or deliberately throwing the headset or controllers. It's gonna take up to 20 business days unfortunately to complete the "repair" process but well worth it given the huge pricetag we pay for these things. Since then i have invested in some pretty neat prescription lenses by a company called reloptix to hopefully prevent any future scratches to my next psvr2 headset.
That is great news! I also wear glasses and it is a worry for me. The one’s that scratched the lenses, we’re they metal or plastic frames. I heard that the metal frames are more prone to scratching.

Last edited:
That is great news! I also wear glasses and it is a worry for me. The one’s that scratched the lenses, we’re they metal or plastic frames. I heard that the metal frames are more prone to scratching.
It wasn't the frames at all, it was the lenses that scratched the psvr2 lenses. I guess i turned the dial a little too close to the point where the vr lenses were making contact with my glasses. Little did i know they were being scuffed up while i was speeding down grand valley highway @ 180mphs in my LMP1 Porsche Hybrid having a blast. Now my eyeglasses also have some light scuff marks as well, but the headset seem to take the majority of the damage unfortunately. Im not to familiar with VR tech, I had a gear VR on and old Samsung Galaxy phone but that's it. I figured maybe if i turn the dial close enough it would get rid of that "fish eye" look while looking through the headset. I guess were not there yet in VR tech yet. All in all though, GT7 in VR is a fantastic experience. 👍

I didn't realize that you were playing with a controller! That explains a lot 😁

I mentionned it many times on this thread, but the only time I was sick with GT sport in VR was when I initially tried it with a controller before getting my G29.

Having a FFB wheel helps fooling your inner ear and makes it believe that you are actually driving, which greatly reduces the chances of getting sick!

Also, setting strong FFB settings gives even better results! I definitively recommend setting strong FFB for those having motion sickness issues.

I have a DD pro 8nm and use it with max torque and sensitivity both on 10, and I swear I could do a 12 hours race in one shot without feeling any sort of dizziness! 😅

Try out and let me know if it improves your experience as well.

But even if it's frustrating, stop playing before feeling dizzy, your next session will only get better 👍

Yes.. before using my wheel I tried the joypad maybe mistaking…now I look forward to play with you. Yesterday i played Resident Evil (beautiful) and it was a huge mistake. My head now is like after being to a Maneskin concert: feeling horrible :).

Off topic: I bought also a fanatec Mc laren GT3 wheel. Does somebody knows if it is better or worse compared to my gran turismo DD wheel and which are the best settings for that wheel?

Yes.. before using my wheel I tried the joypad maybe mistaking…now I look forward to play with you. Yesterday i played Resident Evil (beautiful) and it was a huge mistake. My head now is like after being to a Maneskin concert: feeling horrible :).

Off topic: I bought also a fanatec Mc laren GT3 wheel. Does somebody knows if it is better or worse compared to my gran turismo DD wheel and which are the best settings for that wheel?
Just finished a 2hr sesh, gt7 for an hr then res evil...even with bands had to stop as i was getting uncomfy. Still can't get over just how real it feels. Res evil environment is so incredibly immersive and everytime a werewolf attacks i can almost feel it and my heart jumps. I do think res evil is tougher to handle than gt7. So jealous and envious of people not affected at all with motion sickness.

Just finished a 2hr sesh, gt7 for an hr then res evil...even with bands had to stop as i was getting uncomfy. Still can't get over just how real it feels. Res evil environment is so incredibly immersive and everytime a werewolf attacks i can almost feel it and my heart jumps. I do think res evil is tougher to handle than gt7. So jealous and envious of people not affected at all with motion sickness.

Yep. RE village is so hard to bear. Pity, because it’s so gorgeous my god. I had dinner with my wife in the game and then it happens what it happens in the game and you can feel it! You would like to really enjoy but this dizziness and motion sickness taunts you.

Yep. RE village is so hard to bear. Pity, because it’s so gorgeous my god. I had dinner with my wife in the game and then it happens what it happens in the game and you can feel it! You would like to really enjoy but this dizziness and motion sickness taunts you.
I just downloaded and played RE village demo this past Saturday midnight 😳. Hell to the no after finishing the training sesh i then started the real game and only got to the cabin before calling it quits after entering the first door. The immersion level in RE is pretty damn insane. I pray that someday someway capcom enables VR support for RE2 & 3 remakes 🤞. Best in the series by far.

Thinking about getting contacts just for this. Going back and forth between wearing my glasses and not wearing them. The lower resolution of the VR, and resulting lower level of sharpness and fidelity makes it almost not worth wearing my glasses. It does look a little better, but it's a pain to get set up without touching, smudging my glasses. It just adds another variable to the whole process of getting the headset on and positioned and calibrated right. I'm thinking about getting contacts just for this. Never worn them before. Is there anyone out there who sometimes wear glasses and sometimes wear contacts who has tried it both ways?
Just got my psvr2 on launch day. So far so good. I don't think I'll ever play gt7 without going forward. Some minor gripes here and there. Mainly graphics issues, slight but noticeable grainy texture. No big deal though you get used to it. One major issue however. I wear glasses 2hrs into my VR journey i removed the headset and noticed that both my glasses and vr lenses were scuffed up pretty badly. I have been trying desperately trying to buff out those scuff marks from the headset with "polywatch". Unfortunately the scuff marks are too deep and won't go away. Does anyone know if scuff marks or scratches are covered under sonys warranty? If it is not covered i don't mind paying a repair fee. I read somewhere sony charges $100 to get the lenses replaced. Anyone else experience this before?
I'm thinking about getting contacts just for this reason. Anybody out there tried wearing contacts while using PSV2? Is it worth looking into?

Guys, the blurriness at the edge of the screens is not a result of using or not using eye tracking and foveated rendering. It's just an unfortunate drawback of fresnel lenses. Flat lenses largely address this but come with their own set of shortcomings.
Makes sense... 👍
Since then i have invested in some pretty neat prescription lenses by a company called reloptix to hopefully prevent any future scratches to my next psvr2 headset.
Contact lenses or lenses you mount inside the PSVR2 ? (I have a pair in my Quest2 which allow me to remove my glasses, it's so cool).

Last edited:

I may be the poster boy for this explanation.

I am extremely prone to motion sickness and my wife told me I was making a big mistake getting this.

I've been shocked that I'm able to drive about 45 minutes to an hour with no motion sickness at all. I didn't know why. Now, it makes sense.

It wasn't the frames at all, it was the lenses that scratched the psvr2 lenses. I guess i turned the dial a little too close to the point where the vr lenses were making contact with my glasses. Little did i know they were being scuffed up while i was speeding down grand valley highway @ 180mphs in my LMP1 Porsche Hybrid having a blast. Now my eyeglasses also have some light scuff marks as well, but the headset seem to take the majority of the damage unfortunately. Im not to familiar with VR tech, I had a gear VR on and old Samsung Galaxy phone but that's it. I figured maybe if i turn the dial close enough it would get rid of that "fish eye" look while looking through the headset. I guess were not there yet in VR tech yet. All in all though, GT7 in VR is a fantastic experience. 👍
Same here. Just noticed that my VR lens are scuffed. They get marked fairly easily. I don't know how to avoid this as when you put on the headset trying to adjust things, you will always knock your glasses with the lens.

Had to stop RE7 on PSVR1 because I was getting damn sick within the first 30 minutes. I was feeling dizzy in RE Village after the tutorial and introduction scene as well while using the smooth camera. Tried again after 2 days with 45° degree rotation camera and it was way better, managed to play multiple sessions from 1 to 2 hours since then, beat 2 Dimitrescu's daughters, and I'm so glad I can finally do this incredible game! It's dope, I'm totally addicted! 😁

I own the standard GT Pro wheel and my mate has the McLaren, which I’ve borrowed for a few weeks. If I was buying as separates I’d say probably get the McLaren, but with VR it doesn’t really matter – once you’re playing it’d be really hard to tell. More important, I’d imagine, is to pick one and stick with it, because you’re relying on muscle memory from now on to press any buttons. 😉

Last edited:
@Matteocarlito I'm really pleased for you, glad that you're overcoming your motion sickness, keep going and it will continue to get better and better :)

You mentioned the cars seeming doubled in VR Replay, this is what people have been calling 'ghosting', and it is to do with GT7 running at 60fps, but then being reprojected to 120fps. It does this by inserting extra frames and when there's movement of an object past you it creates a double image where you can still briefly see where the object was and where it now is, like a ghost image.

I tried the Le Mans 30 minute race yesterday and was able to finish it without getting motion sickness. So I'm slowly starting to get used to it. Still need to work on the tracks with more elevation changes.

What did bother me was the lack of information you now get. You do not know how far behind your are from the driver in front of you and how far behind the next driver is.
Same for pit stops of the other drivers and the tires that they use.

Fuel indication is also a problem, you can't look away from the road whenever you want and it's easy to miss that you need to pit.

I hope that they will improve on the in car UI for VR.

I have given the PSVR2 a second chance. After selling my first one last week, after just one day with too high expectations I got my seconds PSVR2 delivered today (couldn't cancel my initial order last week).

So I gave it a second chance this morning, but now with the PlaySeat Challenge and Logitech G923 that I have borrowed from a friend.

HOLY-CRAP! What a difference this makes. It brings a total new level of immersion. Where I didn't feel anything when I was driving with the DualSense last week, no I felt my stomach when driving up Eau Rouge. Just as it needs to be!
And seeing your arms in game move exactly the way you feel your own arms move..

Amazing right now. This is going to be a keeper after all!

Back