GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
I've never used VR, so I don't have much of a clue. I saw a video on youtube saying that the GT7 image in VR is comparable to 720p. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? 720p, if that's what it is, to me it looks pretty sharp

View attachment 1235329

There’s a narrow window where you can get it to look like 720p. But it’s going to appear blurry at 300 meters no matter what

I'm thinking about getting contacts just for this reason. Anybody out there tried wearing contacts while using PSV2? Is it worth looking into?
Yup. I wear glasses most of the time because at my age I need the progressive lenses. On my Reverb G2 I have prescription inserts which works well because there's enough room in the headset. On the PSVR2, while adjustable, you want the lenses as close to your eyes as possible for FOV reasons. I just pop in my contacts for that. No issues and very little eye strain.

Does anyone play with a wired on-ear or over-ear headset plugged into the 3.5 mm jack on the PSVR 2? I wonder whether the additional cable brings too much hassle.
Yes I do. It's not too bad for me but I'm used to cables running all over the place. You can tuck the excess away if it bothers you.

The lens do get scratched very easily huh. On day 1 I tried with some prescription glasses I use for computer screens to reduce strain on my eyes but slightly scratched them a bit. It's slightly noticeable but I'm a bit torn - think I'm just going to give it a while in case any other damage happens before I try and get it repaired since it's currently very light and easy to ignore.

I just don't use glasses on them anymore since my vision is fine, but a bit of a bummer.

Wish it was easier to remove and replace the lens yourself, looks like for the VR1 you had to remove everything internally to get to the lens and warm it up to loosen the glue and remove + replace those. I assume the VR2 is similarly designed.

I got more feedback from GT sport in VR but that be down too the better ffb, could sense my backend slide out n then grip the tarmac, just not getting anything from GT7, Not noticing any benefit apart from it being in 3d and I've barely played it, Just doing my daily workout n the odd short race.

Last edited:
I got more feedback from GT sport in VR but that be down too the better ffb, could sense my backend slide out n then grip the tarmac, just not getting anything from GT7 not noticing any benefit apart from it being in 3d and I've barely played it, just doing my daily workout n the odd short race.
The wheel FFB in 7 is embarrassingly bad. People have been complaining since day 1 and it's only gotten worse, not better. Not sure what it will take for them to work on this aspect that GT 5, 6, and Sport did better. The game doesn't even output a lot of the neciasry telemetry data, just feels dead during slides or on the curbs

The lens do get scratched very easily huh. On day 1 I tried with some prescription glasses I use for computer screens to reduce strain on my eyes but slightly scratched them a bit. It's slightly noticeable but I'm a bit torn - think I'm just going to give it a while in case any other damage happens before I try and get it repaired since it's currently very light and easy to ignore.

I just don't use glasses on them anymore since my vision is fine, but a bit of a bummer.

Wish it was easier to remove and replace the lens yourself, looks like for the VR1 you had to remove everything internally to get to the lens and warm it up to loosen the glue and remove + replace those. I assume the VR2 is similarly designed.
Same here, a very small scratch in the middle. I'm going to get one of those prescription lens inserts for it when they're available. There's an outfit on the internet that has other VR inserts and say PS VR2 are planned.

Is anyone aware of a way to view the leaderboard during a race in VR? We had our first league night in VR yesterday and I couldn't see the positions of the cars on track, or the gap to the car in front and behind me.

One thing I question, the game already targets 4K/60 on PS5, so why is there such a visual downgrade to run 60Hz reprojected on the headset? Is the wider FOV of the headset so much more demanding?

I think the best VR leaderboard solution is to add it as a page to MFD, I have been racing without it and it doesn't bother me too much.

I also don't agree that the display is like 720P, more like 1080P in the sweet spot IMO. Personally I don't notice LOD drop-off in car models, a car 50m ahead would not look detailed anyway, especially when you're hurtling around a racetrack.

One thing I question, the game already targets 4K/60 on PS5, so why is there such a visual downgrade to run 60Hz reprojected on the headset? Is the wider FOV of the headset so much more demanding?
Because in a extremely simplified way to describe it: the game has to render 4K/60 TWICE in VR ... for both eyes.

Last edited:
PSVR 2 is 2000 x 2040 per eye which vertically is similar to 4k but just slightly better than half the resolution horizontally. So both eyes added together are approximately 4k (although with VR I'm not sure that it's as simple as adding the two screens together). Though I'm sure there's also a large portion of processing power that goes into head tracking and such. I think bottom line is that there is a lot of computing power needed to deliver the whole VR package that a flat screen doesn't need to worry about. So it has to scale back on some of the graphics and rendering things in the distance to allocate cpu resources for the extra VR stuff.

"Excuse me, could you please spare some information for us impoverished VR players?"

It’s hilarious watching all the fast streamers on the internets, comment on how they need a virtual speedometer so they can judge speed better…..how they need this, how they need that. I equate it to people complaining on how they want a rear view mirror in bonnet or 3rd person (although I’m aware that my opinion is of the minority on that one).

There’s a difference between being a racer, and being a gamer. I already consider it a gift that PD is willing to give us a toggleable hud in VR. My race pace is still a solid second off per lap compared to pancake mode. But I could care less, it’s even MORE about the close racing now. I’d rather come through the pack any day over starting towards the front. And my DR ratings are dropping faster than the economy, as a result 😂

Last edited:
I have given the PSVR2 a second chance. After selling my first one last week, after just one day with too high expectations I got my seconds PSVR2 delivered today (couldn't cancel my initial order last week).

So I gave it a second chance this morning, but now with the PlaySeat Challenge and Logitech G923 that I have borrowed from a friend.

HOLY-CRAP! What a difference this makes. It brings a total new level of immersion. Where I didn't feel anything when I was driving with the DualSense last week, no I felt my stomach when driving up Eau Rouge. Just as it needs to be!
And seeing your arms in game move exactly the way you feel your own arms move..

Amazing right now. This is going to be a keeper after all!
Had a feeling u may regret giving up so soon but didn't know u were just using the dual sense. I would never with the dual sense as good as that controller is. I just feel like it would kill the immersion a bit with how jerky and unnatural the turning gets with a controller.

It’s hilarious watching all the fast streamers on the internets, comment on how they need a virtual speedometer so they can judge speed better…..how they need this, how they need that. I equate it to people complaining on how they want a rear view mirror in bonnet or 3rd person (although I’m aware that my opinion is of the minority on that one).

There’s a difference between being a racer, and being a gamer. I already consider it a gift that PD is willing to give us a toggleable hud in VR. My race pace is still a solid second off per lap compared to pancake mode. But I could care less, it’s even MORE about the close racing now. I’d rather come through the pack any day over starting towards the front. And my DR ratings are dropping faster than the economy, as a result 😂
Yeah, I don't think real racing drivers are checking their speed at every corner entry. They are looking at the bumper of the car they are racing and the track ahead. I understand it for learning a track, but once you do your speed is irrelevant. Hit your marks and learn them based on the type of car you're driving. These are my basic guidelines, Road car, 200m braking point, GT3 car, 125-150m, Prototype or Open Wheel, 50-100m.

No race driver in real life looks at their road speed. You don’t really even look at it during a track day. I couldn’t care less about a speedometer.

A number of cars I use don't have working dashboards in VR, especially the meta gr 3 and 4 cars many of which have the same LCD display with no working tach. I think it is a reasonable request to have a tachometer in a racing game

As a DS4 user, I haven’t experienced numb finger since using VR. In tv mode, I’m concentrating too much with the controller to feed me info. Even in cockpit view. With VR, I go where my eyes go. I want to enter a corner at that point and I place the car there.

Any micro adjustments I may be making, I’m not noticing. I’m too busy driving, looking at details of the car, track, the environment, setting up a pass, making sure not to make contact with anything. My hands are relaxed as my brain is processing everything else.
With my a/c and fan on, it’s nearly The Matrix in terms of immersion, for me.

A number of cars I use don't have working dashboards in VR, especially the meta gr 3 and 4 cars many of which have the same LCD display with no working tach. I think it is a reasonable request to have a tachometer in a racing game
Engine sound pitch IS the tachometer ... perhaps "calibrate" with flatscreen mode or just drive it to fuel cutoff at start of race (?)

No race driver in real life looks at their road speed. You don’t really even look at it during a track day. I couldn’t care less about a speedometer.

Been racing dirtbikes for a lot of my life. No speedometer there. Just a sense of speed gathered through experience to judge speed and Revs. I would imagine this is exactly the same for race car drivers.

If PD implemented better FFB, there wouldn’t really even be a need for a tire wear display. You’d just be able to tell. I still think weather should be toggleable on the HUD, because you would receive that info in real life. As far as TCS, BB, and ECU mapping, I wish PD would indicate changes like ACC does.

To each their own. I could care less either way

I admit I have not driven them all, but which GR.3/4 cars lack a tachometer? For me a tach isn't necessary, rev indicator lights are good enough. I thought all the race cars had them. I admit some cars have tricky shift points, but the joy of no HUD in VR is worth it.

Engine sound pitch IS the tachometer ... perhaps "calibrate" with flatscreen mode or just drive it to fuel cutoff at start of race (?)
You two are making the weirdest concessions... I just want cars with working tachometers so I know where my RPMs are at... lol

I admit I have not driven them all, but which GR.3/4 cars lack a tachometer? For me a tach isn't necessary, rev indicator lights are good enough. I thought all the race cars had them. I admit some cars have tricky shift points, but the joy of no HUD in VR is worth it.
Try the gr3 corvette, it doesn't have a working tach or shift lights, same with the gr 4 Audi TT

You two are making the weirdest concessions... I just want cars with working tachometers so I know where my RPMs are at... lol

Like I said, to each their own. But like IRL, not all cars have very visible gauges. Just depends what your aim is. I prefer peak realism, but that’s just me.

Like I said, to each their own. But like IRL, not all cars have very visible gauges. Just depends what your aim is. I prefer peak realism, but that’s just me.
I think we have some disconnect, I also prefer realism... like working tachs :P The issue is some dashes are semi or non-functional

Back