GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Hi B80, pardon my English ;)
I don't feel really good after playing more than 10 laps in VR. I hope it will improve.
I also played other games in VR2, Moss, RE Village, No man's sky, they are all beautiful but really blurred.
I honestly think that this can affect your sight.
No worries mate, was interested in what you meant, so thanks for clarifying!

I played RE8 for 20 mins, didn't finish the tutorial, before I decided to slide back in behind the wheel again!

Can sense the tension/atmosphere in RE8 and I've only reach the garage during the initial tutorial! And I've watched loads of horror, chillers over the years so don't find much remotely scary these days, but could feel this tension and slight dread creeping in due to being immersed in VR...

B80
No worries mate, was interested in what you meant, so thanks for clarifying!

I played RE8 for 20 mins, didn't finish the tutorial, before I decided to slide back in behind the wheel again!

Can sense the tension/atmosphere in RE8 and I've only reach the garage during the initial tutorial! And I've watched loads of horror, chillers over the years so don't find much remotely scary these days, but could feel this tension and slight dread creeping in due to being immersed in VR...
There are some games, like Rez Infinite or others which are not blurred, out of focus.
But most of the games are. It seems there isn't enough computational horse power to empower them, and this is so bad.
Gt7 included...we are so close..but still, not yet there. I was cheated by YouTubers on their hands on. All of them were saying that Gt7 was like the normal game, but unfortunately it's not. Still engaging, still a marvel, but so blurred.

I was cheated by YouTubers on their hands on. All of them were saying that Gt7 was like the normal game, but unfortunately it's not. Still engaging, still a marvel, but so blurred.
I wonder if the early sneak peeks were with a higher performance build that is still in development. To me personally the graphics are as expected, but quite far below what we are led to believe (which I didn't believe anyway). It looks great, but it's obviously "still VR".

Maybe there will be some performance tweaks in the future when PD gets things more stable.

One huge thing PD could do to increase overhead is reduce the quality of the mirrors. I mean, they are running at 60fps and are super-detailed. Mirrors eat up a ton of horsepower. Kaz being Kaz, though, he for sure doesn't want any crappy graphics in the cockpit and I'm sure lots of people would complain.

It would be so great to be able to adjust the graphics like in PCVR. That way everyone could dial in on what is most important to them. Or at least a resolution/midway/performance three-way setting. On my racing sims I would keep the mirrors at 30fps and low graphics detail. That along with lowering shadow details and shadow draw distance were huge loads off my system.

Last edited:
A number of cars I use don't have working dashboards in VR, especially the meta gr 3 and 4 cars many of which have the same LCD display with no working tach. I think it is a reasonable request to have a tachometer in a racing game

Been racing dirtbikes for a lot of my life. No speedometer there. Just a sense of speed gathered through experience to judge speed and Revs. I would imagine this is exactly the same for race car drivers.

If PD implemented better FFB, there wouldn’t really even be a need for a tire wear display. You’d just be able to tell. I still think weather should be toggleable on the HUD, because you would receive that info in real life. As far as TCS, BB, and ECU mapping, I wish PD would indicate changes like ACC does.

To each their own. I could care less either way
Tach is useful, speedometer really isn't.
I’m enjoying VR, but it’s not even close to real track driving simply because of the physical forces lacking
True, but speaking as someone who also has thousands of laps on real tracks, it's far, far closer to real driving than it is when playing on a flatscreen. Having a proper field of view and line of sight through corners makes such a big difference to my driving lines.
Perfect example: I've done hundreds of real-life laps around the reverse Streets of Willow layout. I'm pretty good on that circuit in real cars, but I can barely make it around there on flatscreen without going off the road. And if I do manage not to go off, my lap is a mess and I'm slow because of it. Same track in VR? I can pretty much drive it the same as I do in real life, and going off is the rare exception and not the norm. The VR version changes everything in terms of line of sight, turn in points, apexes. Reverse Streets is an extreme example because it's a goofy little track, but the same underlying reality applies to every track.

Last edited:
There are some games, like Rez Infinite or others which are not blurred, out of focus.
But most of the games are. It seems there isn't enough computational horse power to empower them, and this is so bad.
Gt7 included...we are so close..but still, not yet there. I was cheated by YouTubers on their hands on. All of them were saying that Gt7 was like the normal game, but unfortunately it's not. Still engaging, still a marvel, but so blurred.
Yeah, leaves a bad taste when they behave in that manner. I don't watch many youtube videos at all fullstop. But over the years you build an impression that a not insignificant amount are benefitting somewhat from products they use/display online.

Makes you question their integrity in the future, which isa shame. But like I say, I never watch YouTube channels anyway unless looking for something specific.

It's pretty eye-opening how much of this stuff goes on on YouTube kids channels too. And given how impressionable, open to influence younger minds tend to be, I think it's pretty disgusting tbh. Obviously downtown parents to police their kids usage, but still.

I wonder if the early sneak peeks were with a higher performance build that is still in development. To me personally the graphics are as expected, but quite far below what we are led to believe (which I didn't believe anyway). It looks great, but it's obviously "still VR".

Maybe there will be some performance tweaks in the future when PD gets things more stable.

One huge thing PD could do to increase overhead is reduce the quality of the mirrors. I mean, they are running at 60fps and are super-detailed. Mirrors eat up a ton of horsepower. Kaz being Kaz, though, he for sure doesn't want any crappy graphics in the cockpit and I'm sure lots of people would complain.

It would be so great to be able to adjust the graphics like in PCVR. That way everyone could dial in on what is most important to them. Or at least a resolution/midway/performance three-way setting. On my racing sims I would keep the mirrors at 30fps and low graphics detail. That along with lowering shadow details and shadow draw distance were huge loads off my system.
It would be a dream..but don't think so. They just were not honest. AT ALL. I agree with you in everything. I was underwhelmed today when I downloaded No Man's sky, and yeah, it's blurry as well. There is room for improvements (Kayak mirage works cool) btw. Simply, Gt7 is too much for this device.
B80
Yeah, leaves a bad taste when they behave in that manner. I don't watch many youtube videos at all fullstop. But over the years you build an impression that a not insignificant amount are benefitting somewhat from products they use/display online.

Makes you question their integrity in the future, which isa shame. But like I say, I never watch YouTube channels anyway unless looking for something specific.

It's pretty eye-opening how much of this stuff goes on on YouTube kids channels too. And given how impressionable, open to influence younger minds tend to be, I think it's pretty disgusting tbh. Obviously downtown parents to police their kids usage, but still.
Yeah, it's not nice, at all.

I have a Samsung Q80 and and image I get with GT7 amazing! Even with the PSVR2 being a little blurry the experience trumps the flat screen in my opinion. It might also me getting more use the GT7 in VR but the game is pretty clear… could it be clearer most definitely. Still I can see everything I need to see and judge corners even better. The sense of actually being in the car and at the track cannot be matched with the flat screen even with better graphics in my opinion.

I downloaded No Man's sky, and yeah, it's blurry as well.
NMS looks identical to the PSVR1 version LOL. It was supposed to be delayed but at the last minute was confirmed for launch. For NMS I am sure there will be a future performance update.

Check out RE8. That game shows what this HMD can do.

Horizon was a big disappointment both graphic- and stability-wise. I'm glad I only have the demo. And the native 90fps games feel really smooth and clear.

Last edited:
I think where the YouTuber's made there mistake was posting the video of what the PS5 was capturing in high resolution and showing that without adding a disclaimer that this was not what you see in the headset, video after video was like this.

I still prefer the VR to flat screen TV to race in.

Check out RE8. That game shows what this HMD can do.
yep I own it. Still suffering from motion sickness but great graphics!
I think where the YouTuber's made there mistake was posting the video of what the PS5 was capturing in high resolution and showing that without adding a disclaimer that this was not what you see in the headset, video after video was like this.
I strongly think they did it on purpose. It's the first thing I would have said...they didn't..(most of them, we have some cases in this forum being honest)

I am a bit curious about how much potential meat is left on the bone for PSVR2, performance-wise. I'm not really expecting much in the way of upgrades for GT7, but once they do some PS5 specific engine upgrades for GT8 I wonder if those improvements could benefit PSVR2 as well. For example, GT7 just runs at native 4k without any dynamic resolution or upscaling. I'd imagine that will change with GT8 since it would free up performance for other things at a minimal cost to image quality.

We've seen from the menus and such that PSVR2 is capable of a pretty sharp output, but obviously the limiting factor here is the fact that it needs to two images at 60fps as opposed to just one for the game in flat, and cuts are needed to make that happen.

I wonder if PSVR2 is compatible with technologies like FSR 3.0, where Polyphony could target a lower resolution than the native 2000x2040 I assume it is currently rendering and then upscale it without much perceivable loss in image quality and focus some of the gains into areas like better LOD's at a distance.

For thinking you wouldn't be able too drive no cockpit cars in VR , You can and dumps you on the windscreen or front of the roof, when looking down can see my driver steering the car through windscreen in the ItalDesign VGT , excuse me if that name is wrong :).

I am a bit curious about how much potential meat is left on the bone for PSVR2, performance-wise.
The foveated rendering doesn't seem optimized. So there's probably more headroom for fidelity if they wanted to push it. Currently, everything past 5 lengths in front of you is very poorly rendered, no matter where you're looking. And cockpit elements barely reduce in quality when you look away from them.

I can clearly notice where the player is looking from the feed cam, but I'm honestly shocked that they didn't reduce the detail even further for areas you're not looking at. I imagine it has something to do with Foveated Rendering still being an option rather than being required and having to retain a minimum standard of quality for running in non-foveated mode.

I am a bit curious about how much potential meat is left on the bone for PSVR2, performance-wise. I'm not really expecting much in the way of upgrades for GT7, but once they do some PS5 specific engine upgrades for GT8 I wonder if those improvements could benefit PSVR2 as well. For example, GT7 just runs at native 4k without any dynamic resolution or upscaling. I'd imagine that will change with GT8 since it would free up performance for other things at a minimal cost to image quality.

We've seen from the menus and such that PSVR2 is capable of a pretty sharp output, but obviously the limiting factor here is the fact that it needs to two images at 60fps as opposed to just one for the game in flat, and cuts are needed to make that happen.

I wonder if PSVR2 is compatible with technologies like FSR 3.0, where Polyphony could target a lower resolution than the native 2000x2040 I assume it is currently rendering and then upscale it without much perceivable loss in image quality and focus some of the gains into areas like better LOD's at a distance.

The foveated rendering doesn't seem optimized. So there's probably more headroom for fidelity if they wanted to push it. Currently, everything past 5 lengths in front of you is very poorly rendered, no matter where you're looking. And cockpit elements barely reduce in quality when you look away from them.

I can clearly notice where the player is looking from the feed cam, but I'm honestly shocked that they didn't reduce the detail even further for areas you're not looking at. I imagine it has something to do with Foveated Rendering still being an option rather than being required and having to retain a minimum standard of quality for running in non-foveated mode.
It is all plausible but I can't avoid to think what PD said "We have built GT7 with Vr in mind".
There can be little room for improvements, and yeah menus are really sharp, but I don't think they can push much farer than this. Btw even play with the Helmet on in 2D could be great.

I’ll still take the lowest VR res over this. :sly:

Seriously, though, I love the bumper to bumper racing that reminds me of the TOCA games.

so it's blurry and bad? I think it's some exaggeration on both sides..
Completely blurry? NO

Fidelity of playing the game on a nice OLED TV screen? Heck no.

Most of us would take the loss in visual fidelity to have the experience that we're having?

ABSOLUTELY

This is actually a major problem for me because I want the pristine graphics but I've tried to play on flat twice and it bored me to tears

so it's blurry and bad? I think it's some exaggeration on both sides..
I've never owned a VR setup before, and my only prior experience with it at all was on a high-end motion rig running iRacing and I don't remember which headset. So I suppose it's possible right now that I'm just accepting of things because, coming from standard TV console gaming to this VR experience, it's just so different and cool.
But I don't think that's the case.
Rather, I'm a bit surprised there's a fair amount of moaning about the overall product with GT7 in terms of the fidelity, at least based on what I have tried to educate myself with in the past week. From what I've gathered (in part based on comments by people here who have experience with VR in general and on other HMDs), the VR2 is as good or better than existing similar pieces of equipment, with some pros and cons compared to them. Which is to be expected, just like with anything else. It sounds like most of this stuff about soft images and blurriness, etc., is just inherent to the current state of VR tech, not only the VR2. Hearing that is the case, I've zero issues with it. Sure, it would be insane if it was just as visually sharp and brilliant as the pancake mode, but it doesn't sound like that's achievable at the moment, especially at this price point.
I don't take any issue with anyone expressing their opinions or critiques, as I don't have any skin in the game one way or another. It's just that some of it strikes me as unrealistic expectations, based on what I've been reading since my VR2 arrived last week. I'm not saying I don't hope Sony/PD can improve things along the way, though.

Last edited:
It's less resolute than an OLED TV. The experience is incredible. Absolutely incredible.

If you offered me either, pancake with the best TV money can buy or the VR....there is no competition. VR and I wouldn't think twice. They're not even close to being the same experience.
Exactly. GT7, ACC, F1 ... I love playing all of them on TV as I have for their entire existence. But as soon as you go VR, I don't see how you can really go back with any great frequency. As good as these things have gotten and can be on the TV screen, they now feel entirely like simple video games compared to the VR experience. In a way it almost bums me out, because my desire to play ACC and F1 is now diminished massively. Man, do I hope beyond hope that Kunos and EA/Codemasters enable VR on console as soon as possible, hopefully for AC2 and F1 2024. Codemasters already said no VR for the 2023 game, sadly.

Last edited:
My VR2 is supposed to arrive tomorrow! I’ve been doing my grinding in cockpit view hoping to ease the transition slightly. What I’ve gathered is to start slow, do a 1-lap in the S Barker Tourer. I’ll probably mess with the showroom mode for a bit before I try the time trial. Anyone have any other advice? I just happen to have lots of medicine for motion sickness laying around but I’ve never actually had motion sickness, but I’ve never actually used VR before either. Has anyone managed to jump in without any issues?

My VR2 is supposed to arrive tomorrow! I’ve been doing my grinding in cockpit view hoping to ease the transition slightly. What I’ve gathered is to start slow, do a 1-lap in the S Barker Tourer. I’ll probably mess with the showroom mode for a bit before I try the time trial. Anyone have any other advice? I just happen to have lots of medicine for motion sickness laying around but I’ve never actually had motion sickness, but I’ve never actually used VR before either. Has anyone managed to jump in without any issues?
I had minimal issues. I also don't typically suffer motion sickness. I did similar to you, a slow few laps around Tokyo in the 2&4. Then I checked out Grand Valley which has some elevation changes and hopped right into the Laguna Seca to experience the corkscrew (in the Pallas). Definitely felt my stomach drop when I did it, and felt a bit "off" for my session after that, but nothing unbearable. Maybe take a bit longer to build up into tracks like Laguna Seca or Trial Mountain if you want to avoid that feeling.

Just came across VR replay mode, Seems a bit rushed, Could of at least put you out of harms way lol, No doubt will be improved.

Last edited:
I mean, as a C1 owner, OLED tvs are pin sharp. They are so much sharper than my old 2017 (that I though was sharp QLED tv), because the motion resolution is amazing on oled. Motion clarity on high framerate content is unbelievably sharp.

I expect VR to look good to my eyes still, from what I read. Hope the blurry shouts are just talking about the VR tech

Most headsets have a dial in the back. You are going to have to get used to it or invent a workaround.

Menu screens in GT7 are 2D so, no, eye tracking does not work. I take the HMD off after racing and then when I am finished in the menus I put it back on for racing.

I also ran in to this initially, but it turns out I was needlessly tightening too much. I was getting the feeling that the HMD was going to be constantly sliding down my forehead so I was tightening a lot and it was causing pain. Now I just tighten a tiny bit, and although it may seem the HMD is loose, it stays put very well.

It's normal for a VR headset to re-position itself when swapping between 2D and 3D. The problem in GT7 is that this change is very frequent, and the issue is compounded by the fact that the re-center button also happens to be the pause button. I have gotten used to it and know to keep my head still between transitions from 2D to 3D, but it would be really nice if PD could give us a mappable re-center button that is NOT shared with the pause button.
Yeah, I've had to make a few adjustments. I tilted my seat back one notch, that helped a lot. Also had to bring my pedals in one notch, no bigs. I also did wipe down the lenses with a microfiber cloth and rested the unit slightly higher up on my forehead with a little less tension like you suggested and that cleared up the text a lot right there tbh. It's only slightly blurry now 👍 I found that if I hold the PSVR2 in place with my left hand where things are clear, I just tighten it a bit in the back and it seems to rest nicely (also moved the headback down a bit more in the back). Thx for the tips buddy, apprecaite it!

Jerome

Something that pleasantly surprised me is how much vr gaming doesn't bother my eyes, almost quite the opposite from flat gaming. I suffer from dry eyes and get irritated, red and blood spots in my eyes if I play some games too long and get too engrossed playing flat. Idk if it's the immersion or what but my eyes feel great after playing even a few hrs in vr

If i can just get these mythical vr legs to where im not affected with motion at all and it will be heavenly

I mean, as a C1 owner, OLED tvs are pin sharp. They are so much sharper than my old 2017 (that I though was sharp QLED tv), because the motion resolution is amazing on oled. Motion clarity on high framerate content is unbelievably sharp.

I expect VR to look good to my eyes still, from what I read. Hope the blurry shouts are just talking about the VR tech
I don't think you have much to worry about, it does look good overall. Just don't go in expecting it to look the same as the pristine image quality on a 4K TV. It is lower resolution and has some other cutbacks such as increased pop-in and earlier transitions to LODs on some objects. The image is still sharp if you have your headset on correctly, especially in the area you spend most of your time focusing on while driving. It's mostly just certain things off in the distance that are a bit blurry, such as when trying to read numbers on brake markers or small elements in the dashboard. You can still read them, they're just a bit blurrier.

Back