GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
I think we have some disconnect, I also prefer realism... like working tachs :P The issue is some dashes are semi or non-functional

I’ll give you that. The GR.3 RSR comes to mind. I think the rev lights might light up, but that’s about it.

Personally, my favorite car to drive is the Nissan Silhouette. It’s so charmingly bare bones.

It’s hilarious watching all the fast streamers on the internets, comment on how they need a virtual speedometer so they can judge speed better…..how they need this, how they need that. I equate it to people complaining on how they want a rear view mirror in bonnet or 3rd person (although I’m aware that my opinion is of the minority on that one).

There’s a difference between being a racer, and being a gamer. I already consider it a gift that PD is willing to give us a toggleable hud in VR. My race pace is still a solid second off per lap compared to pancake mode. But I could care less, it’s even MORE about the close racing now. I’d rather come through the pack any day over starting towards the front. And my DR ratings are dropping faster than the economy, as a result 😂
Is it just me or have the streamers already gone back to flat screen? I've only noticed two of them seeming to stick with it. I'll never go back but I also don't have the guts to get into daily races just yet, either. I want to get back to where I was at, which I know is achievable.

Is it just me or have the streamers already gone back to flat screen? I've only noticed two of them seeming to stick with it. I'll never go back but I also don't have the guts to get into daily races just yet, either. I want to get back to where I was at, which I know is achievable.

I get that some need to interact with their chat - makes sense.

But you bet your arse that when they’re doing FIA races on their main account. They’ll be in their usual view settings.

I was contemplating just figuring out VR on my alt accounts for daily racing. But I said screw it, if I tailspin all the way down to DR B, it’ll be fun to see if I can work my way back up. With VR, it’s all about pretending I’m a real life race car driver now 👍🏼

Last edited:
Try the gr3 corvette, it doesn't have a working tach or shift lights, same with the gr 4 Audi TT
Which Gr3 Corvette? Corvette C7? I checked in VR it has shift lights and working tachometer (at bottom left of instrument cluster)
Audi TT Cup Gr4 indeed doesn't have shift lights but it also has working tachometer at bottom left.

Image is from searching "corvette c7 gr3" on kudosprime, its from GT Sport but in GT7 looks almost the same. "5903" at bottom left - tach, "214" - speed.

Attachments

• car_10_1_59ea0759861ea.jpg
    car_10_1_59ea0759861ea.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
You two are making the weirdest concessions... I just want cars with working tachometers so I know where my RPMs are at... lol

Try the gr3 corvette, it doesn't have a working tach or shift lights, same with the gr 4 Audi TT
GR.3 Corvette is my main car, it most definitely has rev indicators/shift lights. I believe it has a digital tach on the dash screen as well.

Yes I forgot about the double image, but the number of pixels is the same. I suppose a lot more CPU horsepower is required for the extra processing though.
Yes, when painting at roughly the same area (pixel count) the amount of work "performed on/with pixels" would roughly the same.

But the two eyes are looking from two different cameras, means you have to go through all geometries TWICE, apply two different projections, then rasterize (paint them to pixels). Likely we are bounded by geometry-related calculations here.

Yeah, I don't think real racing drivers are checking their speed at every corner entry. They are looking at the bumper of the car they are racing and the track ahead. I understand it for learning a track, but once you do your speed is irrelevant.
While not real racing, I do a decent amount of HPDE. I never look at the speedometer. I might occasionally glance at the tachometer and I check temp and oil pressure gauges on long straights. All braking and cornering is done by feel. Almost every shift is done by noise.

I make adjustments to my driving based on feel and the little bit of telemetry I have collected.

I’m enjoying VR, but it’s not even close to real track driving simply because of the physical forces lacking.

GR.3 Corvette is my main car, it most definitely has rev indicators/shift lights. I believe it has a digital tach on the dash screen as well.
No, it has this black and white display only

Attachments

• car_85_1_62651a7929211.jpg
    car_85_1_62651a7929211.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 15
No race driver in real life looks at their road speed. You don’t really even look at it during a track day. I couldn’t care less about a speedometer.
I'm legitimately curious, do people use speedometers for target deceleration speeds, or is that more of a beginner thing? I'm pretty new to sim racing but yeah at certain turns in Tokyo I use it as a reference to make sure I don't slightly brake more than necessary (i.e. let off in the 115-120 range instead of dipping slightly below). That's about the extent I actually use my speedometer in game. I can certainly get a feel for it but when I'm doing hundreds of laps grinding the race it's a nice indicator to optimize my lap times.

I'm legitimately curious, do people use speedometers for target deceleration speeds, or is that more of a beginner thing? I'm pretty new to sim racing but yeah at certain turns in Tokyo I use it as a reference to make sure I don't slightly brake more than necessary (i.e. let off in the 115-120 range instead of dipping slightly below). That's about the extent I actually use my speedometer in game. I can certainly get a feel for it but when I'm doing hundreds of laps grinding the race it's a nice indicator to optimize my lap times.
I sometimes look at it in quali but never in a race.

No, it has this black and white display only
I literally just waked up PS5 and take Corvette C7 Gr.3 to the track, and it do have shift lights on top of the display ...

I think I kind of can relate with this. When racing with flatscreen I do sometimes use speedometers, but later I just "feel" when accelerating at which speed the car will start to slide out, or when braking at which speed the car stopped to slide out. With VR the sensation are much more pronounced I don't even need to concentrate to notice it like when using flatscreen.

Oh, and, listen to your tires!

What am I looking for to tell if the lenses on my unit have been scuffed? I wear glasses and am now a bit paranoid after reading about it for several posts on here. Is it something that you can very obviously see when looking at the lenses? Or you notice while playing?

You're right, I'm confusing it with another car then. anyway the TT for sure has that same display with no shift lights I tried to take a screenshot in VR but it keeps opening the pause menu

I think I kind of can relate with this. When racing with flatscreen I do sometimes use speedometers, but later I just "feel" when accelerating at which speed the car will start to slide out, or when braking at which speed the car stopped to slide out. With VR the sensation are much more pronounced I don't even need to concentrate to notice it like when using flatscreen.
Yeah I feel like the need for that as a reference definitely is diminished in VR. Unfortunately I can't really compare times too well with my flat times vs VR times for that car because I really dislike racing with the hood cam (Aston Martin VGT, no interior). But that definitely makes sense.

I have almost never used the speedometer thinking about it more since switching to VR, even on the cars with MPH and easily visible speedometer.

YES!
If you get the chance try ACC in VR on a high end pc. Well, unless you suffer from motion sickness.
Fully immersive and far more natural; you want to check you're clear of the car you passed? turn and look in mirror or directly over shoulder.

BUT, it is fully immersive, you cannot interact with stuff not shown in headset; so streamers lose access to stream chat, etc....
Plus you do look a bit silly in a VR headset at the moment:eek:

I was an early access player of both ACC and Kartikraft; the VR started bad and improved dramatically. Hoping for good things from PSVR2 but it will be PS5 only (at least it should be as even PS4 Pro just doesn't have the processing power)

ACC isn’t very well setup for VR I found, I could never get it running nearly as well as iRacing, iRacing also has a lot more. Uilt in VR features, to make setup and dialling it in a lot easier. I ended up giving up on ACC, it was even a pain to get the triples dialled in on there, and even they never worked as well as they do on iRacing.

It’s likely due to the fact that creating content is just easier/simpler when using a single flat screen, than VR, or even Triples. I remember a Chris Haye video a while back where he even went back to a single screen over triples, simply because it was easier for him to make content that way. Watching someone in VR from a flat screen doesn’t really give the best watchability, it’s jumpy, there’s no 3D effect, and you get less on screen info generally, among other things.

Last edited:
What am I looking for to tell if the lenses on my unit have been scuffed? I wear glasses and am now a bit paranoid after reading about it for several posts on here. Is it something that you can very obviously see when looking at the lenses? Or you notice while playing?
I can notice it if I look for it in game, a slight blur out of focus, but thankfully I almost never see it because it's not where I'm looking when racing at all & it's pretty minor, usually only notice it in menus periodically. Best way to look is just shine a phone light on the lens and see if you see any odd reflections, should be apparent, at least for my case

Last edited:
Yeah I feel like the need for that as a reference definitely is diminished in VR. Unfortunately I can't really compare times too well with my flat times vs VR times for that car because I really dislike racing with the hood cam (Aston Martin VGT, no interior). But that definitely makes sense.
There are loads of cars with great interior modeling to experience in VR, maybe just put those cars without interior aside for a while ... ?

Few months ago I tried DP100 on Tokyo Expressway WTC 600 a few times but that's about it, its engine sound are too quiet for my taste, and there are many other fun cars to drive for this grind, like Cappucino with RX7 engine swap, Atenza Gr.4 (or just tune other Gr.4s to 600), and I just tried a crazy Supra RZ '97 tune from reddit. For grinding (or just relaxing) I feel Le Mans and Spa are way better than this.

Last edited:
There are loads of cars with great interior modeling to experience in VR, maybe just put those cars without interior aside for a while ... ?

I was using DP100 for grinding Tokyo Expressway WTC 600 but that's about it, its engine sound are too quiet for my taste, and there are many other fun cars to drive for this grind, like Cappucino with RX7 engine swap, Atenza Gr.4 (or just tune other Gr.4s to 600), and I just tried a crazy Supra RZ '97 tune from reddit. For grinding (or just relaxing) I feel Le Mans and Spa are way better than this.
Oh it's not a problem I just use real cars instead of spaceships with wheels 🤣

I've been using the Celica rally car for that race at Tokyo now, more fun to drive anyways

I got tired of getting the run-around from Sony support regarding my broken left Sense controller, so I just filed for a return and bought a brand new kit. It will be interesting to compare the two headsets since I have seen some wildly differing opinions on lens clarity. For sure lots of people just don't know how to put it on or were expecting $3000 OLED TV graphics, but there are some worrying reports that lens clarity and Mura vary among headsets. Besides the thousands of us with broken controllers there might be some other QC issues with this PS VR2 launch. I'll report back when I have both HMDs in my hand and can compare them side-to-side.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody, second day playing. So far FLAT VS. VR.
PERSONAL OPINIONS

1. IMMERSION: VR. No comparison
2. GRAPHICS: FLAT. No comparison
3. SPEED: FLAT. I have a Fanatec DD Gran Turismo. So far unfortunately Flat, by far
4. SENSE OF SPEEDNESS: FLAT
5. HEALTH: FLAT. Zero troubles with Flat, some with VR, so to me FLAT
6. FUN: VR
7. SIMULATION: VR

4 FLAT - 3 VR

What do you think? Which is your chart?
how sense of speed can go to flat lol ;d

I can notice it if I look for it in game, a slight blur out of focus, but thankfully I almost never see it because it's not where I'm looking when racing at all & it's pretty minor, usually only notice it in menus periodically. Best way to look is just shine a phone light on the lens and see if you see any odd reflections, should be apparent, at least for my case
Thanks. I think my unit is okay then, only odd reflection I'm noticing is a green area, but I assume that's one of the components beneath the lens.

Just got on my wheel for the first time using VR… I just moved to a new place and miss placed my Wheel plug. 🔌 With the wheel the immersion is even better! Had me truly locked in and I’m loving GT7 even more! I can easily drive for hours and feel fine! Side note I ordered one T300gt power plug and they sent me 50!

Hi Everybody, second day playing. So far FLAT VS. VR.
PERSONAL OPINIONS

1. IMMERSION: VR. No comparison
2. GRAPHICS: FLAT. No comparison
3. SPEED: FLAT. I have a Fanatec DD Gran Turismo. So far unfortunately Flat, by far
4. SENSE OF SPEEDNESS: FLAT
5. HEALTH: FLAT. Zero troubles with Flat, some with VR, so to me FLAT
6. FUN: VR
7. SIMULATION: VR

4 FLAT - 3 VR

What do you think? Which is your chart?

Sorry what do you mean by health?

Can#t argue with those scores, but to me the 'sum of all parts' and feeling generated by VR means its a clear winner for me.

I've done 100 to 300 miles each day in the game since Weds. I want to drive every damn car now in this game (well, the majority of them...), try different tunes (hell, maybe I'll actually get around to finally tuning stuff) on all the tracks different tracks. So excited by the prospect.

Maybe it'll wear off but at present it feels like VR has taken this game into another dimenson (for want of a better term), and I have this enthusiasm/draw and feeling that was never there playing it on tv.

Has anyone noticed their image is tilted a couple degrees? I'm not talking about holding the option button and resetting the placement. When in the menus and world map it's easy to see that it's canted a bit.

Apparently it's been noticed by some others. Hopefully there's a way to fix this.

I may have corrected this or at least made it better. Doing a Tracking Camera Reset and Calibration seemed to have helped.

Last edited:
Hi B80, pardon my English ;)
I don't feel really good after playing more than 10 laps in VR. I hope it will improve.
I also played other games in VR2, Moss, RE Village, No man's sky, they are all beautiful but really blurred.
I honestly think that this can affect your sight.
B80
Sorry what do you mean by health?

Does anyone play with a wired on-ear or over-ear headset plugged into the 3.5 mm jack on the PSVR 2? I wonder whether the additional cable brings too much hassle.
I use the HyperX Cloud Revolver and it has large cans, however they fit fine over the headset. The wire just hangs next to the headset's wire and I don't really notice it. I do find it easier to remove the VR2 with the headphones still over the headset. But I remove them before I use it again.
I still think weather should be toggleable on the HUD, because you would receive that info in real life.
It is. I was just doing the GR.1 Suzuka race the other day and it was there. Maybe it only shows up when you do a race where there is a possibility of rain, I haven't checked.

Back