GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
I just hope in some new marvel like an Unreal 5 Vr optimized version of the software.
Just because to get where we want to get we still need 10 years, at least. And I will be 60, If alive.

Just got my PSVR2 yesterday. I don't normally just ask questions like this without doing research first, and the truth is I tried reading through this thread, but it's huge. If there's an FAQ or something I should read, let me know. Otherwise:

All I want to do right now in VR is play GT7. So what do I need to do to get started? It wants me to scan my play area. I'll be sitting in my sim rig, not moving around, so how should I scan the area? Do I just stay seated, do I stand up and move around, or what?

I have no idea what it'll ask after that, so what else should I know? Any settings I should change?

I'll probably be susceptible to motion sickness, so I'm grateful for people talking about those armbands - I'll definitely be getting some.

I wear glasses by the way - should I use my computer glasses or my regular glasses? I suppose I can just try it to find out, but I thought I'd ask while I was here. I'll probably get some prescription lenses when they finally become available for the PSVR2.

Any other advice will be appreciated too. Thanks!
You have to move around and scan your entire play area during initial setup. Afterwards when you launch GT7 you will choose a sitting play style and it will generate an area for you.

You have to move around and scan your entire play area during initial setup. Afterwards when you launch GT7 you will choose a sitting play style and it will generate an area for you.
You need to go through the setup process. Scanning your play area is part of it. Scan it without your rig and then you can put your rig back and all good.
Thanks!

I wear glasses by the way - should I use my computer glasses or my regular glasses? I suppose I can just try it to find out, but I thought I'd ask while I was here. I'll probably get some prescription lenses when they finally become available for the PSVR2.
You should use regular glass or whatever help you see things at ~2m distance.

You need to go through the setup process. Scanning your play area is part of it. Scan it without your rig and then you can put your rig back and all good.
I just stood at my sim rig and looked around the room. I don’t really see the need to remove it. However, I just use it for GT7 and will always be sitting in that seat so maybe it doesn’t matter.

I'll refer you to post #2121:

PSVR2 has a fixed number of vertical lines - 2024, which spread across a 110 degree field of view turns out to be ~19 lines per degree. Your eyes (assuming 20/20) can distinguish as much as 60 lines per degree. There's nothing you can do with the hardware (higher compute) to compensate for the resolution. In a way VR is showing you what it feels like to have 20/60 vision :guilty:

As far as "freed up compute power" that's what foveated rendering gets you, extra compute power is used to sharpen the image where you are looking - down to the pixel, while areas far from where you are looking will get reduced image quality.

I refer you to post #2121

Essentially says psvr2 can display 2024 lines in a 110 degree field of view which is ~19 lines per degree. Your eyes can distinguish 60 lines per degree at 20/20 vision. The best foveated rendering will not fix this but more lines will - PSVR3
Isn't 20/20 vision the ability to see an object clearly at 20ft distance? 20/60 would actually be better vision implying it's clear at a distance on 60ft?

Still as it's mostly clear for me when playing, not 4k crisp but close up is pretty damn good then I do wonder if peoples eyesight is causing the issue now that we have actual depth being simulated rather than looking at a flat screen

Last edited:
I really doubt we will see PS5 Pro. Slim yes, but not pro.

PS4 got PRO version because it was lacking power even on release day and 4k TV got very popular during that generation.
Now we don't see any way to get 8K tv's popular, and 8k gaming isn't a thing even on High end PC. It won't make any sens to make console capable of 8k gaming because of costs. Other than 8k there is no any significant thing to justify PS5Pro. People won't buy this because of "more stable 60fps and 4k" because basic PS5 can do this aswell.
And making new version of console and complicate game development for PS5 just for PSVR2 is completely out of any financial sens for Sony.
PS5 just started to be more available. Stock problems from the beginning of this gen also didn't help developing different PS5.
Slim version is all we will get probably.

Assuming that we’re eventually going to get both the PS5 slim, and PS5 pro; those two consoles are already finished and ready to go. Heck, they were finished and ready to go the same day PS5 got launched. Surely, all the major game developers have had their PSVR2 and console kits for a few years now. Especially since major titles take a long time to develop. I'm also willing to bet that Sony is already done with PS6, whatever that looks like..

Source: My brother in law worked in Silicon Valley from 2004 to 2018. Out of the many things he did in tech, video game and console development were one of them. Another fun fact, as he tells me things as NDA's expire. You know that fancy newest generation Droid that some of you surely have? Him and and a small team were Alpha testing that exact phone with its exact capabilities in 2007-2008. The only difference, was that each of the 4 phones were multi-million dollar one-off prototypes. The technology for all of this stuff has existed for years, the only thing that holds it back is sometimes the ability to mass produce, but moreso, the engineered trickle of technology to us, the consumer, in order to make more $$$ over the long run. Pretty fancy stuff, this whole technology thing.

A-n-y-w-a-y-z. The PSVR2 is the business!!! Sony and :gtpflag: 4life!!!!

....At least, until something better comes along.

Last edited:
I know y'all are going to tell me to stick with it, but I gotta tell you, it really freaked out my senses when I tried just the start of one lap. I had to start about 3 times, and then I gave up because all my senses felt like they were gonna explode. And it took about 10 minutes afterwards for everything to calm down, once I took the goggles off.

I'm scared to even try it again!

I really doubt we will see PS5 Pro. Slim yes, but not pro.

PS4 got PRO version because it was lacking power even on release day and 4k TV got very popular during that generation.
Now we don't see any way to get 8K tv's popular, and 8k gaming isn't a thing even on High end PC. It won't make any sens to make console capable of 8k gaming because of costs. Other than 8k there is no any significant thing to justify PS5Pro. People won't buy this because of "more stable 60fps and 4k" because basic PS5 can do this aswell.
And making new version of console and complicate game development for PS5 just for PSVR2 is completely out of any financial sens for Sony.
PS5 just started to be more available. Stock problems from the beginning of this gen also didn't help developing different PS5.
Slim version is all we will get probably.
The PS5 is capable of 8k output hardware wise though - so they don't need a PS5 Pro to enable 8k games

Isn't 20/20 vision the ability to see an object clearly at 20ft distance? 20/60 would actually be better vision implying it's clear at a distance on 60ft?

Still as it's mostly clear for me when playing, not 4k crisp but close up is pretty damn good then I do wonder if peoples eyesight is causing the issue now that we have actual depth being simulated rather than looking at a flat screen
20/20 is average - not clear.

This first number is the standard - and then the second number is typical.

So 20/25 means a sign at 20ft (or 6 meters for the rest of the world) in front of you would look blurry to you, but if you walked 5ft forward it would be what a typical person would see at 20ft.

When I had laser eye surgery after recovery I had 25/20 vision, which meant I could see things clearer/sharper than most people could see by 5ft

Last edited:
I know y'all are going to tell me to stick with it, but I gotta tell you, it really freaked out my senses when I tried just the start of one lap. I had to start about 3 times, and then I gave up because all my senses felt like they were gonna explode. And it took about 10 minutes afterwards for everything to calm down, once I took the goggles off.

I felt similar after my first ever VR laps. Felt too much, a sensory overload, rather than feeling ill. Took a break and restarted with an open car. Just drove around at road speeds and looked around. Upped my speed and felt fine, then jumped straight into race cars, and again felt fine.

I do still close my eyes when I’m heading for the barrier! VR makes you respect the car, speeds and the sense of danger.

Last edited:
My first drives with the VR2 are a resounding success! No nausea dizziness or disorientation at all, maybe a few good butterflies even! I started with the S Barker Tourer at Tokyo for a few laps, then a modified C8 Corvette at one of the Sardegna tracks and then finally the 330 P4 at Laguna Seca! The hills didn’t bother me in the slightest. I have yet to do a race but everything is a ok so far!

The PS5 is capable of 8k output hardware wise though - so they don't need a PS5 Pro to enable 8k games

20/20 is average - not clear.

This first number is the standard - and then the second number is typical.

So 20/25 means a sign at 20ft (or 6 meters for the rest of the world) in front of you would look blurry to you, but if you walked 5ft forward it would be what a typical person would see.

When I had laser eye surgery after recovery I had 25/20 vision, which meant I could see things clearer/sharper than most people could see by 5ft

That’s one thing I’ve found, since re-diving into VR, is my left eye is way stronger than my right. Already scheduled an appointment with the optometrist

Assuming that we’re eventually going to get both the PS5 slim, and PS5 pro; those two consoles are already finished and ready to go. Heck, they were finished and ready to go the same day PS5 got launched. Surely, all the major game developers have had their PSVR2 and console kits for a few years now. Especially since major titles take a long time to develop. I'm also willing to bet that Sony is already done with PS6, whatever that looks like..

Source: My brother in law worked in Silicon Valley from 2004 to 2018. Out of the many things he did in tech, video game and console development were one of them. Another fun fact, as he tells me things as NDA's expire. You know that fancy newest generation Droid that some of you surely have? Him and and a small team were Alpha testing that exact phone with its exact capabilities in 2007-2008. The only difference, was that each of the 4 phones were multi-million dollar one-off prototypes. The technology for all of this stuff has existed for years, the only thing that holds it back is sometimes the ability to mass produce, but moreso, the engineered trickle of technology to us, the consumer, in order to make more $$$ over the long run. Pretty fancy stuff, this whole technology thing.
That's not a source, it's a wildly outlandish and anecdotal claim.

Up to about a dozen times where my race gets cut off because the VR says it can't detect my environment. Anyone experiencing this or have any tips? Re-scanning the room maybe? Love it but this has been incredibly frustrating and luckily hasn't happened to me in a race yet because I haven't jumped into one.

Up to about a dozen times where my race gets cut off because the VR says it can't detect my environment. Anyone experiencing this or have any tips? Re-scanning the room maybe? Love it but this has been incredibly frustrating and luckily hasn't happened to me in a race yet because I haven't jumped into one.
Maybe try re-scanning the room and make sure the environment is well lit.

I finally got a chance to try GT7 in PSVR2

PSVR vs PSVR2
There is a marked improvement in resolution over PSVR as expected, more details at further distances. But as I stated in some of the previous posts, objects far ahead will look fuzzy due to the screen resolution being too low relative to what a normal person with 20/20 vision is able see. (~19 lines per degree vs 60 lines per degree for 20/20 vision). The other thing I noticed was PSVR had a much bigger "sweet spot", so it is more difficult to get the PSVR2 headset just right, and I notice more chromatic distortion (blue or red edges) on the periphery of my field of view relative to pretty good vision in the middle. This being said, I notice the chromatic distortion in menus where there are fixed images, I don't notice it at all in game. ...maybe if I stared at the dashboard I'd notice it, but if you're staring at the dash while racing, ...you're not racing.

Car Feel
OMG, this is a game changer for me. I have 20yr experience in autocross IRL in stock class - which means that since only stock springs are allowed, the cars I drive IRL have a fair amount of roll as the suspension loads up with lateral Gs. I did a few of the music rallies last night during server maintenance, and the visual effect of body roll as the suspension loaded up felt quite natural to me and helped me to keep the car on the edge. It made it easier to catch slides, and the various cars reacted quickly to my steering inputs, as I'd expect IRL. Well played Polyphony/Playstation!

No media?
A big disappointment for me is lack of ability to watch youtube vr180 / vr360 videos. I really can't believe Sony released a VR solution without the ability to watch VR content. I noticed that even the PSVR youtube app stopped working for vr180 / vr360 videos back in November of last year. I thought maybe Playstation/Sony was making changes in preparation for PSVR2 release, and that once PSVR2 was released we would once again have access to vr180/vr360 content. ...very disappointed:irked:

Wow, I never expected this thread to get so busy. Looks like the GT7 and PS VR2 combo are making impressions are catching on.

The sheer amount of non-racing gamers on the PSVR subReddit buying wheels after trying GT7 is crazy. So many people are getting blown away with this LOL.

Bring it on, the more the merrier!

That's not a source, it's a wildly outlandish and anecdotal claim.

Sure. But it’s no secret this is how a lot of different industries work. Auto, military, tech, energy, ect. Pretty much any industry that has an annual money flow in both the R&D and output side in tens of billions of dollars. On the tech side of things, there’s literally a big think tank that all the major players pay into the funding of. They come up with ideas, and the various players will divy up the ideas based on what market segments they want to pursue. Goes without saying, that the vast majority of technology innovation is driven primarily by the needs of the military, and government.

Last edited:
Wow, I never expected this thread to get so busy. Looks like the GT7 and PS VR2 combo are making impressions are catching on.

The sheer amount of non-racing gamers on the PSVR subReddit buying wheels after trying GT7 is crazy. So many people are getting blown away with this LOL.

Bring it on, the more the merrier!
i think this is the real GT7 launch... They said they had planned the whole game since the start for VR.

I feel like this is a big moment for GT.

How can I use the psvr2 without a tv?
Keeps giving me the screen to put the headset off en do what is shown on tv. When i turn on the tv all works. Annoying I want to put away the tv.

Last edited:

I was the same way when I first got it. I thought part of the sensory overload was because I was so used to the game in 2D. It’s no secret that you play a lot of GT7. Your brain is confused by the drastic change of the game presentation. Any motion sickness from just short attempts?

I couldn’t believe how sick it got in just 2 or 3 laps around Tsukuba in a Miata. I’m a guy that goes out deep sea fishing in rough waters, so this didn’t make sense to me.

I took all the advice I could gather and have slowly worked my way into being able to use it. I do 30 minutes of single player each night now. Do my usual routine of Sport mode in 2D still beforehand. I found using Bonine well before playing and having a fan blowing air on me, help me the most.

So I did my Sardegna (Mclaren F1 GTR ‘97) and Le Sarthe (Alpine A220) grind races in VR and no issues at all! I did spend the last week grinding in cockpit view which seems to have helped. I think I even set a single lap record for Sardegna which is pretty cool! I do miss the shift indicator and the time split for 2nd place but still easy victories as expected. I’ll have to wait until after work to do Spa 1 hour, but VR is great. Wish it was a bit sharper image but still good!

So I did my Sardegna (Mclaren F1 GTR ‘97) and Le Sarthe (Alpine A220) grind races in VR and no issues at all! I did spend the last week grinding in cockpit view which seems to have helped. I think I even set a single lap record for Sardegna which is pretty cool! I do miss the shift indicator and the time split for 2nd place but still easy victories as expected. I’ll have to wait until after work to do Spa 1 hour, but VR is great. Wish it was a bit sharper image but still good!
Try pulling the strap further down than you´d think on the back of your head and push the display up a bit and see if that helps.

Back