GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
When I Tell you guys I’m having so much fun!! It’s like you can’t get bored while driving in VR, and every car and track comes alive, Brands hatch for example is so much fun with the elevation changes and the sweeping turns. You can’t experience the sensation on the flat screen vs VR.

For me PSVR2 has definitely stepped up my game, been able to put the car up much closer to opponents cars or barriers with confidence, doing it on flat screen there was always a slight hesitance. Easily completed the rally events at Catalunya (which I didn't care for before). The 60 minute event at Spa was so much more enjoyable experience, than previous times, dealing with the wet track was much more controllable, the rain gauge got up there pretty high.

Hopefully there's very little wear on the headset, I constantly remove them after about a hour of use, because of the discomfort.

For me PSVR2 has definitely stepped up my game, been able to put the car up much closer to opponents cars or barriers with confidence, doing it on flat screen there was always a slight hesitance. Easily completed the rally events at Catalunya (which I didn't care for before). The 60 minute event at Spa was so much more enjoyable experience, than previous times, dealing with the wet track was much more controllable, the rain gauge got up there pretty high.

Hopefully there's very little wear on the headset, I constantly remove them after about a hour of use, because of the discomfort.
One of the reason why I won’t race on the flat screen anymore! I only drive in cockpit view, and driving in VR has really showed me how constricted the 2D view is. The way you can see the corners in VR makes driving so natural and makes it very easy to put the car right where you want it! My driving has definitely improved driving in VR.

Last edited:
When I Tell you guys I’m having so much fun!! It’s like you can’t get bored while driving in VR, and every car and track comes alive, Brands hatch for example is so much fun with the elevation changes and the sweeping turns. You can’t experience the sensation on the flat screen vs VR.
That track had always been kind of meh to me, I never took the time to properly learn it until earlier today. I ran the Gr.4 race there a few times and have to say it's really grown on me. Also for some reason learning tracks in VR seems to be way easier.

I was having this problem when I had a TV on in front of me playing a different video (was being used by someone else in the room). That, and at times lighting issues, I put a lamp positioned right near my setup to avoid this issue. Might also want to check if there are any fingerprint smudges on the camera lenses on the headset?

I stopped having that issue once I did that, but for a session it was doing this constantly and was really frustrating, turned out I think the TV was causing it. Never happens with the TV off.

Also saw this in a Kireth video, give it a shot if you haven't already, might help out.

Tried that and still no luck. Turned all the lights on in the room, playing with a projector and turned it off as well. Still getting the error almost every session. Today was especially bad. Probably got it 30-40 times total before I gave up. Going to start a Tech Support case with Sony to see what the issue is.

Don't know if you tried the Sophy event in VR, but I beat the first 2 races both at second try yesterday 😁

The 3rd race with the Corvette is a little more difficult and I didn't try the last race yet, but it's a lot of fun compared to the standard AI!

GT sport and GT7 have different physics so it was difficult to judge if VR really made me faster in GT sport comoared to GT7 on flat, but after playing GT7 on PSVR2 for ten days now, I am absolutely certain of it!

Tried that and still no luck. Turned all the lights on in the room, playing with a projector and turned it off as well. Still getting the error almost every session. Today was especially bad. Probably got it 30-40 times total before I gave up. Going to start a Tech Support case with Sony to see what the issue is.
Good luck, hope you can get that figured out

Don't know if you tried the Sophy event in VR, but I beat the first 2 races both at second try yesterday 😁

The 3rd race with the Corvette is a little more difficult and I didn't try the last race yet, but it's a lot of fun compared to the standard AI!

GT sport and GT7 have different physics so it was difficult to judge if VR really made me faster in GT sport comoared to GT7 on flat, but after playing GT7 on PSVR2 for ten days now, I am absolutely certain of it!

I've been playing against Sophy some since VR, plan on spending a few hours with it before it's gone, a lot more fun in VR than flat for sure imo. I can mostly beat intermediate but struggled on expert, feel like it's a good trainer to have a challenge way better than the standard AI.

I really suck at driving that Corvette though =/. The Suzuka race is my favorite!

Last edited:
I've been playing against Sophy some since VR, plan on spending a few hours with it before it's gone, a lot more fun in VR than flat for sure imo. I can mostly beat intermediate but struggled on expert, feel like it's a good trainer to have a challenge way better than the standard AI.

I really suck at driving that Corvette though =/. The Suzuka race is my favorite!
I also think that it's a really good training and hope that there will be more of those events , and that someday we can have it in the whole game instead of this dumb AI we've got so far...!.But maybe we'll have to wait PS6 for this?

Can't wait to try Suzuka race tonight, but I love the Trial Mountain race too!

Alright this rescanning room **** officially has me incensed. It just asked me about 12 different times within a 30 minute session that it can't detect my room. Then it immediately fixes itself after it's ****ed up my lap. I've tried rescanning, turning on all the lights and it's only gotten worse. I'm on Day 4 of VR and it's done it probably 50x at this point. Anyone else experiencing it this bad?
I've been having trouble with that too.

Are you in a room with plain, light-coloured walls by chance? I've been trying to do some research over the last few days and apparently having an environment with lots of unpatterned, light-coloured surfaces makes it very difficult for VR headsets that track by mounted cameras to consistently keep on top of where they are.

My living room has white walls and a white ceiling so all my headset can use to reliably track with is things like my curtains and sofa. I've ordered some posters as a cheap and easy solution to break up the solid white blocks and give it more landmarks to track against.

In the meantime, until the posters arrive in the mail, I put some random things like cushions and boxes on the back of my sofa last night to try cover up the wall behind it and fill that part of the room with more trackable objects. I haven't suffered any tracking errors since, so I'm hoping that was the source of the problem for me.

The PS5 is capable of 8k output hardware wise though - so they don't need a PS5 Pro to enable 8k games

20/20 is average - not clear.

This first number is the standard - and then the second number is typical.

So 20/25 means a sign at 20ft (or 6 meters for the rest of the world) in front of you would look blurry to you, but if you walked 5ft forward it would be what a typical person would see at 20ft.

When I had laser eye surgery after recovery I had 25/20 vision, which meant I could see things clearer/sharper than most people could see by 5ft
Not quite true, it's about being able to see something clearly at distance as if stood right in front of it. The measurement is solely about how far away you can see it but it will always be clear, not average. FYI I've also had laser surgery with a better than 20/20 result which may be why I find the Vr pretty clear

Taken from Specsavers in the UK:

Having 20/20 vision doesn’t necessarily mean that you can see perfectly. It’s important to remember that 20/20 vision is the standard visual acuity of normal vision – this means that from 20 feet away, you’re able to read a line on an eye chart as clearly as someone standing right in front of it.

Has anyone tried the rally tracks yet? In 2d in golded all the circuit experience except for the rally tracks, I couldn't do it with my wheel. I've tried again in Vr and have so far golded two of them, it's soooooo much better!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some two lap races and more circuits. Sardegna Road Track B, that downhill keeps going and going and going… really cool. The track comes alive in VR. The windmills definitely have scale.

I may just have given the coffee bean Circuit a bit of respect. Quite fun from Twilight to night.

Glitched at Northern Isle on first replay. Couldn’t get it to repeat.

Really wanted it to glitch at Bathurst. Oh well.

My thoughts exactly! I feel there's nothing boring anymore while driving in VR.

Last edited:
Have played now for a while and I am really geting inte vr experince. At the moment i have just played gt7 and resident evil Village. Both are amazing. I think the image quality is good. For both games. I use 1080p led tv and its looks just as good in the vr headset,

Sure if you are use to 4k screen you might sacrifice some quality for the image, but i never once thinked that my 1080p tv look bad, more than good enough for me, a screen will never campare well to vr for gaming, even if its lower quality than 4k tv, its so much better for everything else,

Played both gran turismo 7 and resident evil village, is like being in the enviroments, a screen will never have the same amount of experince, there is so much more you can see, cockpit view is nothing i use on screen for gt7 but in vr its completly much better feeling, prefer driving road cars in vr as they have nicer interiör view, and from now own if i decide to replay resident evil village again after i clear it in vr for the first time, i will never go back and play that on the screen ever again, vr has really change the way gaming can be experinced i hope it keps getting updated with future gaming, resident evil 4 remake is also confirmed for psvr2 witch i will also enjoy, but its proably some months after launch

Last edited:
Shame it's not working for Ace Combat 7. Maybe the next game.

Didn't realise the option button paused VR replay. Took some screen shots. Pretty wortless. They don't do the game justice.
Another view glitch.

I guess it wouldn't take much to implement.

Have played now for a while and I am really geting inte vr experince. At the moment i have just played gt7 and resident evil Village. Both are amazing. I think the image quality is good. For both games. I use 1080p led tv and its looks just as good in the vr headset,

Sure if you are use to 4k screen you might sacrifice some quality for the image, but i never once thinked that my 1080p tv look bad, more than good enough for me, a screen will never campare well to vr for gaming, even if its lower quality than 4k tv, its so much better for everything else,

Played both gran turismo 7 and resident evil village, is like being in the enviroments, a screen will never have the same amount of experince, there is so much more you can see, cockpit view is nothing i use on screen for gt7 but in vr its completly much better feeling, prefer driving road cars in vr as they have nicer interiör view, and from now own if i decide to replay resident evil village again after i clear it in vr for the first time, i will never go back and play that on the screen ever again, vr has really change the way gaming can be experinced i hope it keps getting updated with future gaming, resident evil 4 remake is also confirmed for psvr2 witch i will also enjoy, but its proably some months after launch
Exactly the same here! I played GT sport in VR long enough to know that GT7 would be a groundbreaking experience in VR and it lives up to my expectations, but I wasn't prepared for RE Village. Loved this series from the first episode and played all of them until the 4th. I found that the series became a carricature of itself after that and wasn't interested anymore with new episodes, especially when you had games like Project Zero that brought horror games to a whole new level. Gave a try at RE7 on PSVR1 but couldn't go past the first hour due to very strong motion sickness. I played the tutorial and introduction scene of RE8 a few days ago and wasn't convinced by the tracking in the tutorial section. Plus, I was feeling dizzy due to the smooth camera rotation (which I really don't recommend unless you have very strong VR legs!).

Didn't play it for the next two days and decided to give it another shot. You've got to pass the first combat scene with all the zombies attacking you in the village and the giant jumping in front of you to understand how good being immersed in Resident Evil actually is. This game is so thrilling! And everything works so fine and is so more precise than with a controller once you understand how it works!

I'm at Beneviento's house now, and this game is easily one of the best things I ever experienced in more than 35 years playing video games!

It will be so difficult for me going back to flat screen games after that... and I'm not even sure I want to, tbh 😅

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly! I feel there's nothing boring anymore while driving in VR.
It certainly has allowed me to enjoy parts of the game I had previously abandoned. I barely did anything other than Sport mode or grind Sardegna over the past 6 months. I still struggle to use VR for extended periods of time though.

On another note, I was able to tie my QT for Race B while practicing in VR last night. Not a super fast time at 2:00.6, but it felt good to be able to equal the time in VR. I’m going to continue splitting my playing time between flat and VR for now.

For those of you that think GT7 triggers motion sickness, wait until you barrel roll a fighter plane in VR 😵‍💫

There was a demo when the Oculus came out of just flying a futuristic craft around a city, and I can confirm that barrel rolls and flips and things really do test your VR legs!

Has anyone been able to pinpoint (to any degree) what may be causing the seemingly random tracking loss issues? I get this in GT7, Kayak, Star Wars and Horizons, with some games more than others. I seem to get it more when looking up. I think it may be that my living room lights (overhead) may be interfering. I think there may be some issues that need to be addressed with firmware updates.
Also, regarding GT7, I don’t seem to notice any FOViated rendering. I have to turn my head to get the clarity. Star Wars doesn’t seem to suffer that (at least from the little I’ve played)

For those of you that think GT7 triggers motion sickness, wait until you barrel roll a fighter plane in VR 😵‍💫

There was a demo when the Oculus came out of just flying a futuristic craft around a city, and I can confirm that barrel rolls and flips and things really do test your VR legs!
I’m building a gaming pc this year. With the exception for the last dozen years (lol) I’ve been a long time flight sim geek (civ and combat). I’ve been itching to try VR in flight simming and the new MSFS and DCS seem to do well for that. I wish the PSVR2 could be used for those. I don’t want to buy another headset.

I've been having trouble with that too.

Are you in a room with plain, light-coloured walls by chance? I've been trying to do some research over the last few days and apparently having an environment with lots of unpatterned, light-coloured surfaces makes it very difficult for VR headsets that track by mounted cameras to consistently keep on top of where they are.

My living room has white walls and a white ceiling so all my headset can use to reliably track with is things like my curtains and sofa. I've ordered some posters as a cheap and easy solution to break up the solid white blocks and give it more landmarks to track against.

In the meantime, until the posters arrive in the mail, I put some random things like cushions and boxes on the back of my sofa last night to try cover up the wall behind it and fill that part of the room with more trackable objects. I haven't suffered any tracking errors since, so I'm hoping that was the source of the problem for me.
I also have tracking problems, where I am asked to recalibrate the headset very often.

And as you I have white walls and and much furniture around me. I gues I will have to try and put some random things around in the room, to see if it helps.

One thing since I've had the headset, I haven't noticed any vibrations in the headset, even with the feature turned on in the PSVR2 menu under accessories and all the controller settings set to strong, of course I haven't had any very hard crashes yet, but not feeling even subtle vibrations.

One thing since I've had the headset, I haven't noticed any vibrations in the headset, even with the feature turned on in the PSVR2 menu under accessories and all the controller settings set to strong, of course I haven't had any very hard crashes yet, but not feeling even subtle vibrations.
Same here. I completely forgot it was supposed to have haptics

It only happens on fairly hard crashes. Just drive into a wall and you'll feel it. Bit of a missed opportunity, it would have been good to use it more subtly for minor bumps as well.

I also have tracking problems, where I am asked to recalibrate the headset very often.

And as you I have white walls and and much furniture around me. I gues I will have to try and put some random things around in the room, to see if it helps.
Do you have wall sconces at all by chance? My room has a few of them and was wondering if this is throwing it off. Going to use my ceiling lighting to see if there is any difference and cleaned the cameras as well as it said to do that on Sony website.

I play in a large room (home theatre) and have my cockpit in between two seats. Not sure if I'm supposed to leave the cockpit in place when I scan or move it out of the way maybe.

Going to try a few things today to see if it helps any.

I’ve always playing in my rig with the sitting scan option on and never had any issues with it. Are you all playing in the seating option?

VR literally opens up a whole new dimension for GT7. So many cars I only had a passing interest in, but now want to drive just for the experience. I always played in 'bumper' cam, so the likes of the R5 Turbo (in stock form at least) was a little dull. But in VR, sat in that retro cockpit, it feels so cool.

I expected a wow factor from being sat in the car, and was prepared for track elevation changes. What I didn't expect is how different tracks feel to drive, specifically the impression you get taking corners. In 2D, GT7 feels like you're threading the needle, a (much) less extreme version of Pole Position. But in VR it actually feels like your car's orientation is changing, which completely changes the feeling of tracks like Brands Hatch. Somewhere I've driven thousands of virtual laps!

Latest Posts

Back