GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Up to about a dozen times where my race gets cut off because the VR says it can't detect my environment. Anyone experiencing this or have any tips? Re-scanning the room maybe? Love it but this has been incredibly frustrating and luckily hasn't happened to me in a race yet because I haven't jumped into one.
I was only able to get rid of those messages by creating a 7 by 7 play space and placing my rig in the middle with decent lighting. The room scan errors seem to be due to having a dark room (the VR tracking doesn't work in the dark) or using the restrictive sitting play space.

Up to about a dozen times where my race gets cut off because the VR says it can't detect my environment. Anyone experiencing this or have any tips? Re-scanning the room maybe? Love it but this has been incredibly frustrating and luckily hasn't happened to me in a race yet because I haven't jumped into one.

My PSVR2 came in they morning, I set it up & tried configuring it to my eyes. I have nystagmus & was trying to set it up with my eyeglasses but it wouldn't work. I tried again without my eyeglasses & got it set up properly on the third try. Tested it out on a few tracks, I didn't experience any motion sickness. Pretty fun so far it will just take some time to properly calibrate it.

Yeah, I drive a lot of cars in a lot of circumstances, including on tracks, for many years now. Without getting too deep into it, it's part of my job (no I'm not a pro racer, but I should be lol).

I don't get this lack of speed thing, either. I couldn't feel any more different about it. Going back to real life, once you're somewhat skilled and confident at track driving/racing, the newsflash is this: You don't really register speed unless you're driving something at the bleeding edge of high speed or in true high-speed corners. The speed itself doesn't even begin to register to me until well above 150 mph, at least not in modern cars. As a well-known IndyCar drive told me once when discussing this topic: Nah, you don't really consider the raw speed--until you lose the car and are spinning/crashing. As soon as he said it, I was like, yes that is absolutely true, I know what you mean LOL
Truly, though, raw MPH means far, far less and feels like far, far less in a track/racing environment than it does on a public road. Yeah, if you go nuts and decide to rock down your local highway or freeway at 140 mph (or even less), it feels crazy but that's at least as much to do with the mental context (fear of going to jail, what you're normally used to on the same road, etc.) as it is to do with the pure speed itself.

I've done around 120mph on an empty 3 lane motorway in my m3 f80 and it felt very comfortable, normal, stable etc. Didn't feel like the world around me was a blur, racing by at lightening speed at all.

Scaff is spot on I think. Imagine doing a 120mph down a residential street lol. I suspect the sensation would be very different to that on a wide open stretch.

Last edited:
I felt similar after my first ever VR laps. Felt too much, a sensory overload, rather than feeling ill. Took a break and restarted with an open car. Just drove around at road speeds and looked around. Upped my speed and felt fine, then jumped straight into race cars, and again felt fine.

I do still close my eyes when I’m heading for the barrier! VR makes you respect the car, speeds and the sense of danger.
I'll try your suggestion of driving around more slowly in an open-top car. That sounds promising.
I was the same way when I first got it. I thought part of the sensory overload was because I was so used to the game in 2D. It’s no secret that you play a lot of GT7. Your brain is confused by the drastic change of the game presentation. Any motion sickness from just short attempts?

I couldn’t believe how sick it got in just 2 or 3 laps around Tsukuba in a Miata. I’m a guy that goes out deep sea fishing in rough waters, so this didn’t make sense to me.

I took all the advice I could gather and have slowly worked my way into being able to use it. I do 30 minutes of single player each night now. Do my usual routine of Sport mode in 2D still beforehand. I found using Bonine well before playing and having a fan blowing air on me, help me the most.
Thanks - yes, playing a lot has probably trained my brain to expect certain things. I'll keep trying, slowly, bit by bit.
I have nystagmus & was trying to set it up with my eyeglasses but it wouldn't work.
I'm not sure why they don't make this more prominent, but don't forget there's a button on the right side top that lets you slide the goggle part further away from the headband. If you're wearing glasses, this is a must, otherwise the goggles just press into your glasses, and it's even possible for your glasses to scratch the lenses in the goggles.

Why Sony wouldn't make this incredibly obvious for glasses wearers is a mystery. Unless of course they do, and I missed it, which is quite possible. I mean, I do need glasses... :lol:

I'll try your suggestion of driving around more slowly in an open-top car. That sounds promising.

Thanks - yes, playing a lot has probably trained my brain to expect certain things. I'll keep trying, slowly, bit by bit.

I'm not sure why they don't make this more prominent, but don't forget there's a button on the right side top that lets you slide the goggle part further away from the headband. If you're wearing glasses, this is a must, otherwise the goggles just press into your glasses, and it's even possible for your glasses to scratch the lenses in the goggles.

Why Sony wouldn't make this incredibly obvious for glasses wearers is a mystery. Unless of course they do, and I missed it, which is quite possible. I mean, I do need glasses... :lol:
This thread moves Really Fast…

I wrote this a day or two ago that include a few tips from my own experience with motion sickness. I’ve had the PSVR2 since release day and is a night and day difference. not 100% yet but on the way there

The second link is to the “Dedicated VR Motion Sickness Thread” and has info from those with different experiences. It doesn’t move as fast as this thread so more people with the same issue are likely to see what you write. However, it’s NOT as easy to find because it can end up a page behind the most current threads

Hope this helps,
Guarantee it will get better if you stick with it and don’t overboard… baby steps

Tips from a post I started writing for the dedicated thread but haven’t finished
Post in thread 'GT7 & PSVR2'
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt7-psvr2.409371/post-13960296

The Dedicated thread
Thread '7 Ways to Avoid Motion Sickness in VR'
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/7-ways-to-avoid-motion-sickness-in-vr.416914/

Last edited:
Yeah, I drive a lot of cars in a lot of circumstances, including on tracks, for many years now. Without getting too deep into it, it's part of my job (no I'm not a pro racer, but I should be lol).

I don't get this lack of speed thing, either. I couldn't feel any more different about it. Going back to real life, once you're somewhat skilled and confident at track driving/racing, the newsflash is this: You don't really register speed unless you're driving something at the bleeding edge of high speed or in true high-speed corners. The speed itself doesn't even begin to register to me until well above 150 mph, at least not in modern cars.
I agree with this. I think the sense of speed is more real in VR vs pancake. Maybe it’s because I am doing my best to pretend I am actually driving!

Also, IRL the only track I get to ~150mph is at the start/finish in Daytona. The sense of speed is real and it’s the only place that is somewhat concerning (at least for me) about doing that kind of speed in a street car even on a proper race track. I’m doing 140 before braking into the bus stop (Le Mans Chicane) and 130+ on just about every other track I drive. I don’t think twice about how fast I’m going, although I probably should.

I know y'all are going to tell me to stick with it, but I gotta tell you, it really freaked out my senses when I tried just the start of one lap. I had to start about 3 times, and then I gave up because all my senses felt like they were gonna explode. And it took about 10 minutes afterwards for everything to calm down, once I took the goggles off.

I'm scared to even try it again!
Watch the video posted here on the site on launch day. "7 tips..."

I am extremely sensitive to motion sickness inducing things and get nauseated easily.

I've had little to no problems following the tips in that video as well as tips from others in this thread.

Short sessions in a well lit and cool (if not cold) room.

Open wheelers with low HP as if you're "Driving Miss Daisy".

Stop driving BEFORE you feel "off"

Repeat at another time with slightly longer session

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out.

Made a comparison vid in a rally car. Fisherman's Ranch Circuit Eperience Full Lap. Never quite got gold until a few minutes with PSVR2 and it was almost easy. side note- Do email updates work on this forum? I can never get them to work and miss lots of posts.

Sorry sorry sorry for the stupid question:

As I understood that Open cars are so incredibly beautiful to drive in VR and also make me free less sick, how do I get to race with those cars?
1. Buying them? (so expansive)
2. Going forward with the career? I have all the licenses, but still at Half career (I am at the Porsche cafe Racer point) and one mission with a race car in the rain blowed up my mind
3. Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance and sorry!
Looking forward to race with you in some VR Lobby @Papiculo64 @Cheap Seafood and all the others. Beware my being slow! It's a strategy to confuse :)

Last edited:

As I understood that Open cars are so incredibly beautiful to drive in VR and also make me free less sick, how do I get to race with those cars?
2. Going forward with the career? I have all the licenses, but still at Half career (I am at the Porsche cafe Racer point) and one mission with a race car in the rain blowed up my mind
3. Other suggestions?

Looking forward to race with you in some VR Lobby @Papiculo64 @Cheap Seafood and all the others. Beware my being slow! It's a strategy to confuse :)

The go kart is only $10K. Available from manufacturer ‘Gran Turismo’ in Asian manufacturers. Doesn’t get more open than that, and no body roll which might help???

3. Other suggestions?

Didn't read this thread for 2 days and there are 10 more pages... xD

For your question, you might get a few of those cars for free by completing some events or with the roulette, but you'll have to buy the others ones.
Here's a list of all the prize cars you can get in the game: https://www.gtplanet.net/gt7-full-prize-car-list-20220308/

Looking forward to see you on the track too! ^^
First thing first, buy you a racing kart if you donlt have it already, I might host a race or two this weekend. I'll post the details on the other thread and probably here as well!

For your question, you might get a few of those cars for free by completing some events or with the roulette, but you'll have to buy the others ones.
Here's a list of all the prize cars you can get in the game: https://www.gtplanet.net/gt7-full-prize-car-list-20220308/

First thing first, buy you a racing kart if you donlt have it already, I might host a race or two this weekend. I'll post the details on the other thread and probably here as well!
I will! I will search for kart somewhere in brand central

Per your recommendation, I knocked 2 clicks of the screen luminosity in the PSVR2 settings. Did the trick for night races, and even seemed to clean up the daylight image as well 👍🏼

Alright this rescanning room **** officially has me incensed. It just asked me about 12 different times within a 30 minute session that it can't detect my room. Then it immediately fixes itself after it's ****ed up my lap. I've tried rescanning, turning on all the lights and it's only gotten worse. I'm on Day 4 of VR and it's done it probably 50x at this point. Anyone else experiencing it this bad?

Alright this rescanning room **** officially has me incensed. It just asked me about 12 different times within a 30 minute session that it can't detect my room. Then it immediately fixes itself after it's ****ed up my lap. I've tried rescanning, turning on all the lights and it's only gotten worse. I'm on Day 4 of VR and it's done it probably 50x at this point. Anyone else experiencing it this bad?
Using bluetooth over ear headphones?, i got issues with mine when wearing a set of AKG n7000's, wonder if it's causing some interference, switched too non bluetooth headphones and never got a problem with them.

I think we have some disconnect, I also prefer realism... like working tachs :P The issue is some dashes are semi or non-functional
I love the RA272. The tachometer is sideways :) ...and it goes to 11! (past it, really)

I'm legitimately curious, do people use speedometers for target deceleration speeds, or is that more of a beginner thing? I'm pretty new to sim racing but yeah at certain turns in Tokyo I use it as a reference to make sure I don't slightly brake more than necessary (i.e. let off in the 115-120 range instead of dipping slightly below). That's about the extent I actually use my speedometer in game. I can certainly get a feel for it but when I'm doing hundreds of laps grinding the race it's a nice indicator to optimize my lap times.
I use it when time trialing, or learning a track/car combo, to gauge myself and how well I'm hitting my apexes and carrying speed through the corners.

I was having this problem when I had a TV on in front of me playing a different video (was being used by someone else in the room). That, and at times lighting issues, I put a lamp positioned right near my setup to avoid this issue. Might also want to check if there are any fingerprint smudges on the camera lenses on the headset?

I stopped having that issue once I did that, but for a session it was doing this constantly and was really frustrating, turned out I think the TV was causing it. Never happens with the TV off.

Also saw this in a Kireth video, give it a shot if you haven't already, might help out.

I started by driving the Miata around Spa - do not recommend. Spa has a lot of elevation change and the Miata has huge amounts of body roll (which is even more nauseating than elevation change).

Switched to the Super Formula Honda on Tsukuba. Driving a very stiff car around mostly flat track was much better for motion sickness.

I like VR so far but I don’t love it. It’s certainly better than a flat screen but the risk of motion sickness is always a thing. I’ll keep testing it over the next week or so.

The go kart is only $10K. Available from manufacturer ‘Gran Turismo’ in Asian manufacturers. Doesn’t get more open than that, and no body roll which might help???
Ahah! You beat me on this one! 😁
If you want to join us for racing kart lobbies then add me on PSN: papiculo_64 👍

Per your recommendation, I knocked 2 clicks of the screen luminosity in the PSVR2 settings. Did the trick for night races, and even seemed to clean up the daylight image as well 👍🏼
Glad to hear ^^
I used to set luminosity to the lowest value, but it was because I had a very bad microfiber that didn't clean the lenses properly, causing a lot of halos with bright colors. But now that I replaced my micofiber I don't have this issue anymore, so I also set luminosity about 2 clicks lower than max value and it's perfect! :)

I can't believe how good this thing is. The level of detail is amazing and everything just comes alive with the headset. Never appreciated driving slower road cars as much as I do now. Using mirrors instead of looking back feels so natural and everything just makes sense. All the missions and license tests are so cool in VR, especially some of the 1 hour races. The Sophy races in VR are great fun too, and VR showroom blew my mind. I could go on.

After setting it up properly I think the image is clear enough and I don't have any problem reading small text on a dashboard for example. Thankfully I'm not suffering any motion sickness and my VR lap times are getting better so I won't have to go back to flat even for online racing. I think I will eventually be faster in VR.

The headset does become a little uncomfortable after a few hours..

The headset does become a little uncomfortable after a few hours..

That's the biggest downside of PSVR2 for me, especially when the first headset was so comfy...
I play with a beanie, that's the only way I figured out for long sessions, but I hope that there will be some official or unofficial accessories to remedy that!

Also, thanks for your impressions! No way I'm going back to flat racing games, and after playing RE8 for about 8 hours, I may not go back to flat video games short xD

Last edited:
Back