GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,532 comments
Just because we something costs more than expected, or doesn't perform as well as expected, doesn't mean we should NOT pursuit it.

I know and understand that Sony and everyone's decision don't depend on GTPlanet arm chair experts, but this is a chicken and the egg thing...

Would we or anyone expect pSvR2 would be super popular?
It really depends on a lot of factors and variables.

This is not Sony's FIRST venture into VR, quite clearly.
Have they give up on the first trial?
Are they gonna give up after this ?

Is PD still considered a 3rd party?

If the chicken doesnt exist, could the egg exist?
Is VR forever doomed?

Now that PD knows how to implement and incorporate VR, is this something they could easily improve upon, or will the next iteration be even more difficult?

I am not an expert in Software, but couldn't they easily port over the current code, even if there is a better VR3 improved hardware?

Yea I agree there is always large cost involved and upfront investment without certainty of returns....

Like PSP etc.... were these Peripherals ever dropped?
Did Sony totally gave up on the original PSVR?
I wonder currently how PSVR2 is performing vs the pSVR?

Astro the robot game shows that Sony is quite proud of their past achievements regardless of ROI ...

To me, it is unlikely that future GT will stay away from VR due to cost...it's simply a dimension they cannot ignore.

Last edited:
You’re saying a lot of different things here all at one.

My reply was to your initial post where you suggested all racing would come to PSVR2 eventually.

And I highly doubt that.

Sony themselves have pretty much written the hardware off. It’s not taking off.

I’m confident future GT iterations will support it, but I don’t think other devs will take on the extra cost to develop for this thing.

Unfortunately.

Last edited:
Well, we’ve recently heard that both ian bells game, and ac evo, created in house engines, and understand how great vr is for racing.

Didn’t sony recently have a leadership change?

In my experiences with sony, which are mostly camera centric, they have fantastic people on the engineering/dev side, and full blown clowns when it comes to middle management, leadership, and marketing. For instance, today at a f1 race, you see ton’s of sony cameras shooting videos, as well as long lens’s shooting stills. 10yrs ago, and for about 2-3yrs we we’re bringing canons and sony, because as much as the sony’s resolution was valuable at the time. The cameras were so failure prone we all constantly wanted to smash them into thousands of pieces.

Don’t give up yet. We thought sony had given up on their pro still’s line too for the first few years. And for reference, that was about a 30k buy in(back up body, and lens’s).

-I will say that I’m frustrated, and impressed, with how meta(a guess) was able to paint the psvr2 with the, ‘sooooo expensive,’ brush.. when the features per dollar ratio is actually pretty good.

Eta: @GlamFM the only racing games released have been from ea and the unreal engine. I’d bet 1$ that something about the unreal engine sucks relative to vr and playstation. I’d even venture that the ps5 is too weak to carry the load. Just a guess

Last edited:
Did a test at my place tonight, after setting the headset correctly (including the pupillary distance) and using my glasses, it was wayyyyy better.
Glad to hear! And welcome to the PSVR crew.
But I'll enjoy the prescription lenses, I have a lot of reflections on my glasses, and I'll be able to put the lenses closer (I remained careful with the glasses so I did not push too much back).
I use the HonsVR lenses and they are worth every penny I spent.
As I am doing most of the TTs, I practiced a bit the one on Spa with a Gr.3 car that ends tomorrow. Lap times were bad, but experience was nice, only Eau-Rouge was messing with my brain and inner ear, other than that I was feeling ok.
My recommendation for getting used to the PSVR2: Do the licenses again.

It provides a step-by-step way to acclimate to the new view in bite-size increments while giving you pretty fast "feedback" on your progress. Go as fast or as slow as you want.
I think I'll get quickly used to it and feel 100% well, for the speed on the other hand, I think it'll take more time.
Yup! You'll be faster than ever in no time.

As someone now used to racing in only VR, all my shock and awe goes to people who race in 2d. I just cant understand how they do it, even though I used to do it too.
People also used to throw sticks at Mammoth.
I AM SO USING THIS QUOTE!!!

Sony themselves have pretty much written the hardware off. It’s not taking off.
I hope you´re not referring to that idiotic hit piece that "Android Central" published, and for some reason took flight on the Internet because "hating is trendy". Article, btw, that praises Quest (the one the author actually uses and praises on all other articles) and list as a positive games coming for Quest that ALSO comes for PSVR2. Article that tells everyone that PSVR2 is dead because 1 "dev says so"...

In any case, I don´t care about that nonsense. PSVR2 isn´t doing bad. Titles are still coming, and yes, it´s "niche" but it´s also game changing. Ppl could prefer to race on "cheat cam" for many reasons (being easier one of them) but once you´re ON the car on VR the experience is worth the price of admission.

I just hope other companies do trust VR because in my case (I can only speak for myself and I´m only just one customer, but a customer nonetheless) won´t buy any other Sim on PS5 that doesn´t support VR.

I use the HonsVR lenses and they are worth every penny I spent.
😍
My recommendation for getting used to the PSVR2: Do the licenses again.
I don't play a lot, so I think I'll get used to VR progressively by doing what I already do. This morning I did 5 laps in VR at Big Willow, on the current TT with the 300SL. Few terrain relief, space wide open, no so twisty track and car with a good sight from inside. Was nice, felt a slice of motion sickness.

As for lap times, I thought I was doing really bad compared to the one and only lap I've done before on this TT, but I did 5 laps on flat screen after that and it was only 0.3s faster on average over 5 laps.
Yup! You'll be faster than ever in no time.
It is a game changer to have a better awareness of cars around when racing too, that's very cool.
I just hope other companies do trust VR because in my case (I can only speak for myself and I´m only just one customer, but a customer nonetheless) won´t buy any other Sim on PS5 that doesn´t support VR.
Apparently Sony will sell an adaptator to use the PSVR2 on PC (announced for the 7th of august), I'll compare to my Quest2 and if it is ok, I'll sell the Quest that won't be useful.

Last edited:
I hope you´re not referring to that idiotic hit piece that "Android Central" published.

In any case, I don´t care about that nonsense. PSVR2 isn´t doing bad.
No I’m not & PSVR2 is absolutely doing bad.

Look, I really wanted this thing to go through the roof and everybody jumping on it - it just has not happened.

The recent price drop and half assed conversion of the hardware to work on PC were stock clearance measures and nothing else.

It’s a bummer. It’s also the sad truth.

Maybe you have insider information that we don´t have and I can´t argue with that, since I don´t have any.

I don´t see what you see, and even less in that negative way. I hope you enjoy your unit as I´ll continue to enjoy mine. We´ll agree to disagree but I must say that the constant negativity ends up being boring AF.

Maybe you have insider information that we don´t have and I can´t argue with that, since I don´t have any.

I don´t see what you see, and even less in that negative way. I hope you enjoy your unit as I´ll continue to enjoy mine. We´ll agree to disagree but I must say that the constant negativity ends up being boring AF.
Oh I adore it. Probably the biggest advocate of the technology on this board :)

GT7 in VR is straight up my favorite thing.

I’m confident future GT iterations will support it, but I don’t think other devs will take on the extra cost to develop for this thing.
I want to believe this but seeing as though they haven't update the PSVR2 implementation in over a year.... I have serious doubts. Maybe they'll surprise me with impending update.

No I’m not & PSVR2 is absolutely doing bad.

Look, I really wanted this thing to go through the roof and everybody jumping on it - it just has not happened.

The recent price drop and half assed conversion of the hardware to work on PC were stock clearance measures and nothing else.

I would to understand better what you are saying, can you please point to the source of your claim.

Is there an evidence that Sony is going to entire abandon VR in the future because of this VR2 failure ?

I edited my above post for clarity, because after I read it again and there were so many Autocorrect mistakes when I posted earlier this morning while I was still in Daze after last night July 4th fireworks...

I really hope Sony doesn't stop the VR effort and will push the game developers to pursuit it despite the upfront cost without guarantees of success.

For every other games I think this VR might be still gimmicky, but for racing games, it make so much sense.

People keep looking for the negative/misinterpreting facts related the PS VR2 (even if they're fans) and it's wild to me.

The price drop was related to the Days of Play event. PS5 also got a price drop. They're both back to normal. The "half-assed" conversion to PC has almost nothing to do with Sony. Besides HDR, every other exclusive feature can be enabled by developers. There just currently aren't any games that take advantage of the technology available. Frankly, Sony is doing a terrible job with messaging about games on PS5 as well with no known release dates besides Concord and Astro Bot.

Back