GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,701 comments
Just because something costs more than expected, or doesn't perform as well as expected, doesn't mean we should NOT pursuit it.

I know and understand that Sony and everyone's decision don't depend on GTPlanet arm chair experts, but this is a chicken and the egg thing...

Would we or anyone expect pSvR2 would be super popular?
It really depends on a lot of factors and variables.

This is not Sony's FIRST venture into VR, quite clearly.
Have they give up on the first trial?
Are they gonna give up after this ?

Is PD still considered a 3rd party?

If the chicken doesnt exist, could the egg exist?
Is VR forever doomed?

Now that PD knows how to implement and incorporate VR, is this something they could easily improve upon, or will the next iteration be even more difficult?

I am not an expert in Software, but couldn't they easily port over the current code, even if there is a better VR3 improved hardware?

Yea I agree there is always large cost involved and upfront investment without certainty of returns....

Like PSP etc.... were these Peripherals ever dropped?
Did Sony totally gave up on the original PSVR?
I wonder currently how PSVR2 is performing vs the pSVR?

Astro the robot game shows that Sony is quite proud of their past achievements regardless of ROI ...

To me, it is unlikely that future GT will stay away from VR due to cost...it's simply a dimension they cannot ignore.

Last edited:
You’re saying a lot of different things here all at one.

My reply was to your initial post where you suggested all racing would come to PSVR2 eventually.

And I highly doubt that.

Sony themselves have pretty much written the hardware off. It’s not taking off.

I’m confident future GT iterations will support it, but I don’t think other devs will take on the extra cost to develop for this thing.

Unfortunately.

Last edited:
Well, we’ve recently heard that both ian bells game, and ac evo, created in house engines, and understand how great vr is for racing.

Didn’t sony recently have a leadership change?

In my experiences with sony, which are mostly camera centric, they have fantastic people on the engineering/dev side, and full blown clowns when it comes to middle management, leadership, and marketing. For instance, today at a f1 race, you see ton’s of sony cameras shooting videos, as well as long lens’s shooting stills. 10yrs ago, and for about 2-3yrs we we’re bringing canons and sony, because as much as the sony’s resolution was valuable at the time. The cameras were so failure prone we all constantly wanted to smash them into thousands of pieces.

Don’t give up yet. We thought sony had given up on their pro still’s line too for the first few years. And for reference, that was about a 30k buy in(back up body, and lens’s).

-I will say that I’m frustrated, and impressed, with how meta(a guess) was able to paint the psvr2 with the, ‘sooooo expensive,’ brush.. when the features per dollar ratio is actually pretty good.

Eta: @GlamFM the only racing games released have been from ea and the unreal engine. I’d bet 1$ that something about the unreal engine sucks relative to vr and playstation. I’d even venture that the ps5 is too weak to carry the load. Just a guess

Last edited:
Did a test at my place tonight, after setting the headset correctly (including the pupillary distance) and using my glasses, it was wayyyyy better.
Glad to hear! And welcome to the PSVR crew.
But I'll enjoy the prescription lenses, I have a lot of reflections on my glasses, and I'll be able to put the lenses closer (I remained careful with the glasses so I did not push too much back).
I use the HonsVR lenses and they are worth every penny I spent.
As I am doing most of the TTs, I practiced a bit the one on Spa with a Gr.3 car that ends tomorrow. Lap times were bad, but experience was nice, only Eau-Rouge was messing with my brain and inner ear, other than that I was feeling ok.
My recommendation for getting used to the PSVR2: Do the licenses again.

It provides a step-by-step way to acclimate to the new view in bite-size increments while giving you pretty fast "feedback" on your progress. Go as fast or as slow as you want.
I think I'll get quickly used to it and feel 100% well, for the speed on the other hand, I think it'll take more time.
Yup! You'll be faster than ever in no time.

As someone now used to racing in only VR, all my shock and awe goes to people who race in 2d. I just cant understand how they do it, even though I used to do it too.
People also used to throw sticks at Mammoth.
I AM SO USING THIS QUOTE!!!

Sony themselves have pretty much written the hardware off. It’s not taking off.
I hope you´re not referring to that idiotic hit piece that "Android Central" published, and for some reason took flight on the Internet because "hating is trendy". Article, btw, that praises Quest (the one the author actually uses and praises on all other articles) and list as a positive games coming for Quest that ALSO comes for PSVR2. Article that tells everyone that PSVR2 is dead because 1 "dev says so"...

In any case, I don´t care about that nonsense. PSVR2 isn´t doing bad. Titles are still coming, and yes, it´s "niche" but it´s also game changing. Ppl could prefer to race on "cheat cam" for many reasons (being easier one of them) but once you´re ON the car on VR the experience is worth the price of admission.

I just hope other companies do trust VR because in my case (I can only speak for myself and I´m only just one customer, but a customer nonetheless) won´t buy any other Sim on PS5 that doesn´t support VR.

I use the HonsVR lenses and they are worth every penny I spent.
😍
My recommendation for getting used to the PSVR2: Do the licenses again.
I don't play a lot, so I think I'll get used to VR progressively by doing what I already do. This morning I did 5 laps in VR at Big Willow, on the current TT with the 300SL. Few terrain relief, space wide open, no so twisty track and car with a good sight from inside. Was nice, felt a slice of motion sickness.

As for lap times, I thought I was doing really bad compared to the one and only lap I've done before on this TT, but I did 5 laps on flat screen after that and it was only 0.3s faster on average over 5 laps.
Yup! You'll be faster than ever in no time.
It is a game changer to have a better awareness of cars around when racing too, that's very cool.
I just hope other companies do trust VR because in my case (I can only speak for myself and I´m only just one customer, but a customer nonetheless) won´t buy any other Sim on PS5 that doesn´t support VR.
Apparently Sony will sell an adaptator to use the PSVR2 on PC (announced for the 7th of august), I'll compare to my Quest2 and if it is ok, I'll sell the Quest that won't be useful.

Last edited:
I hope you´re not referring to that idiotic hit piece that "Android Central" published.

In any case, I don´t care about that nonsense. PSVR2 isn´t doing bad.
No I’m not & PSVR2 is absolutely doing bad.

Look, I really wanted this thing to go through the roof and everybody jumping on it - it just has not happened.

The recent price drop and half assed conversion of the hardware to work on PC were stock clearance measures and nothing else.

It’s a bummer. It’s also the sad truth.

Maybe you have insider information that we don´t have and I can´t argue with that, since I don´t have any.

I don´t see what you see, and even less in that negative way. I hope you enjoy your unit as I´ll continue to enjoy mine. We´ll agree to disagree but I must say that the constant negativity ends up being boring AF.

Maybe you have insider information that we don´t have and I can´t argue with that, since I don´t have any.

I don´t see what you see, and even less in that negative way. I hope you enjoy your unit as I´ll continue to enjoy mine. We´ll agree to disagree but I must say that the constant negativity ends up being boring AF.
Oh I adore it. Probably the biggest advocate of the technology on this board :)

GT7 in VR is straight up my favorite thing.

I’m confident future GT iterations will support it, but I don’t think other devs will take on the extra cost to develop for this thing.
I want to believe this but seeing as though they haven't update the PSVR2 implementation in over a year.... I have serious doubts. Maybe they'll surprise me with impending update.

No I’m not & PSVR2 is absolutely doing bad.

Look, I really wanted this thing to go through the roof and everybody jumping on it - it just has not happened.

The recent price drop and half assed conversion of the hardware to work on PC were stock clearance measures and nothing else.

I would to understand better what you are saying, can you please point to the source of your claim.

Is there an evidence that Sony is going to entire abandon VR in the future because of this VR2 failure ?

I edited my above post for clarity, because after I read it again and there were so many Autocorrect mistakes when I posted earlier this morning while I was still in Daze after last night July 4th fireworks...

I really hope Sony doesn't stop the VR effort and will push the game developers to pursuit it despite the upfront cost without guarantees of success.

For every other games I think this VR might be still gimmicky, but for racing games, it make so much sense.

People keep looking for the negative/misinterpreting facts related the PS VR2 (even if they're fans) and it's wild to me.

The price drop was related to the Days of Play event. PS5 also got a price drop. They're both back to normal. The "half-assed" conversion to PC has almost nothing to do with Sony. Besides HDR, every other exclusive feature can be enabled by developers. There just currently aren't any games that take advantage of the technology available. Frankly, Sony is doing a terrible job with messaging about games on PS5 as well with no known release dates besides Concord and Astro Bot.

Received my Hons VR prescription lenses. That's much better than with glasses.

But when I put the headset high enough on my head, to have the texts clear without blue or red halo above and below, the lenses touch my eyebrows, not too much but I think it would become annoying on a long session.

After 10 laps on RBR TT with the BMW M3, I went on Nordschleife with my beloved 308 GBT for a time trial. Beat my previous time by 2s... while not driving very well... But I did not have time trialed a lot with that car on that track so that's not so meaningful, but for a VR lap I am happy. Some changes in elevation on the Nordschleife were a bit too much for the brain, but I finished the lap without too much inconvenience. I would not race for an hour there yet, though 😅

Received my Hons VR prescription lenses. That's much better than with glasses.
Glad they work for you! I'd be lost without mine.
But when I put the headset high enough on my head, to have the texts clear without blue or red halo above and below, the lenses touch my eyebrows, not too much but I think it would become annoying on a long session.
I'm close to that. Sometimes I find if I let my PSVR2 headset (at the "goggles") go out one click it both makes it more clear and stays off my eyebrows. I don't lose much of my viewing angle.

Also, I keep a microfiber cloth right next to my seat to clean the HonsVR lenses occasionally.
After 10 laps on RBR TT with the BMW M3, I went on Nordschleife with my beloved 308 GBT for a time trial. Beat my previous time by 2s... while not driving very well... But I did not have time trialed a lot with that car on that track so that's not so meaningful, but for a VR lap I am happy. Some changes in elevation on the Nordschleife were a bit too much for the brain, but I finished the lap without too much inconvenience. I would not race for an hour there yet, though 😅
Have you tried chewing gum while driving yet?

I did follow the steps to avoid VR motion sickness and they work wonders for me.

Here's the YouTube version from our lovely friends here at GT Planet:

Have you tried chewing gum while driving yet?
As I am very very lightly troubled by motion sickness, I am not looking into it, just doing a bit of VR everyday to get used to it.

If I can't progress on that matter with time, I'll look into tips to minimize it, but for now it is not an issue.

I'll try your hint about pushing the googles a tiny bit less close to my face 👍 to see if it avoid the contact with the corners of the lenses and my arches.

Hello all, welcome me to the PSVR2 camp as of tonight. Today was my birthday and got one. I started a new account to redo GT7 from the beginning in nothing by VR. I'm currently working though the music rally before getting into the game proper... So far I've used it for about a 1/2 hour and have a headache now, but that might be 3 beers and too much birthday food! :D No nausea though, so thats good.

I've noticed a few things that I need to work on.

1) My rig is in the corner of the room and I had trouble setting the play area or whatever you call it. I had to step out the rig to do it but if, when in VR, I look over the hood of the car, the mesh will come up as if I have gone out of boundaries. I'm sitting down so it should not matter so is there some way to prevent this in settings?

2) For me I find it quite blurry. That could just be my eyes. I have terrible reader vision but not too bad for distance. Distance, while sharper, produces double vision in real life so my glasses correct for that. I'm currently using the VR without glasses (partly because I recently broken my main ones and I'm using older backups), so some of the blurriness is probably related to that, but what I find is that while near to mid vision seems decent in the headset, cars down the track at very indistinct, blurry even, which surprises me as I read that this should all me a fixed focal point of 2m. I'll try with an older pair of single vision glasses that may be good for that range to see if that would help, but is there anything I may be missing that I should consider?

3) I know the VR is missing certain HUD elements but I have seen videos with some floating information. Currently I have none. I'm not sure if this is just music rally or if I need to switch something in settings to get more data. Thoughts?

Finally, is the a US shippable prescription lens insert that most people would recommend? I want to get one so I don't have to wear glasses and to protect the lens.

Last edited:
@TheNormsk
Everything in the goggles is at the same focal length, near or far in game is the same focal length, so you don't have to focus any differently when looking at something close in game vs something far in game. I have good far vision and need readers (because I'm old) and it works perfect for me.

And you have to set up your area in the sim rig or it'll be all out of whack. You can adjust your "seating position" in the car by pausing game or using little button on right side of goggle, then sitting up closer to wheel and farther up, then hold that position when going back into VR and you'll sit back down in seat IRL and be lower and farther back in the car, for instance.

Same if you sit farther back and down in pause menu, jump back into game you will be higher and closer to the wheel in game in VR.

Last edited:
Hello all, welcome me to the PSVR2 camp as of tonight. Today was my birthday and got one. I started a new account to redo GT7 from the beginning in nothing by VR. I'm currently working though the music rally before getting into the game proper... So far I've used it for about a 1/2 hour and have a headache now, but that might be 3 beers and too much birthday food! :D No nausea though, so thats good.

That headache is what I called VR hangover. The more you get used to VR the less it will occur. Take your VR sessions in small doses for a couple weeks, extending the time after a few sessions. I haven't had a VR hangover in months.

1) My rig is in the corner of the room and I had trouble setting the play area or whatever you call it. I had to step out the rig to do it but if, when in VR, I look over the hood of the car, the mesh will come up as if I have gone out of boundaries. I'm sitting down so it should not matter so is there some way to prevent this in settings?

Set the Play Area under Accessories PlayStation VR2 to seated. You will still get out of boundary grids if you lean to far in any direction. Different cars have different boundary limits. Try one of the SF cars. They have a very small boundary limit. If you are prompted to rescan your play area do so from your seated position.

2) For me I find it quite blurry. That could just be my eyes. I have terrible reader vision but not too bad for distance. Distance, while sharper, produces double vision in real life so my glasses correct for that. I'm currently using the VR without glasses (partly because I recently broken my main ones and I'm using older backups), so some of the blurriness is probably related to that, but what I find is that while near to mid vision seems decent in the headset, cars down the track at very indistinct, blurry even, which surprises me as I read that this should all me a fixed focal point of 2m. I'll try with an older pair of single vision glasses that may be good for that range to see if that would help, but is there anything I may be missing that I should consider?

Cars that are a distance away will appear blurry, as will environment details. Yes, it's all projected at approximately 2meters/6feet but, the Foveated rendering is still only capable of so much. There will also be what's called pop in. I notice it the most when approaching a car that has a rear wing. From a distance there is no wing. As I get closer, the wing will appear on the car and become more defined the closer you get.

3) I know the VR is missing certain HUD elements but I have seen videos with some floating information. Currently I have none. I'm not sure if this is just music rally or if I need to switch something in settings to get more data. Thoughts?
The thing that floats inside the car's cabin and is not visibly attached to any part of the car is the MFD, radar, weather map, BB, Torque split, your lap splits. Think you have to have the HUD set to on to get that up. When you set the HUD to on you will also get a display of current "grid" position, current lap time, current lap and current gear and recommended gear outside the car at the bottom of the top 1/4-1/3 of the "screen". The only HUD element of any real value to me that is missing is the delta to the car ahead and behind. I suppose it would be helpful to have a page in the MFD that displayed that and another page that displayed who is in the pit lane. You should be able to enter any event, click the Settings button before you actually get in the car, Race Info Display, Display All will get all described above.

Finally, is the a US shippable prescription lens insert that most people would recommend? I want to get one so I don't have to wear glasses and to protect the lens.
There are several VR lens makers. Hons VR is where I bought mine. This company is overseas. Don't recall which country. They shipped to US without a problem that I encountered. This was a game changer for me. Prior to the lens inserts I was wearing my glasses under the scope and it kept the lens to far away from my eyes, which reduced the "sweet spot" that is where the images are sharpest. It was also a concern because to get the sweet spot as large as I could, the Scopes lens were touching my glasses and it wasn't very comfortable to wear the glasses and scope at the same time. The glasses also affected the eye alignment and tracking somewhat. If you don't have a current prescription for glasses I'd recommend getting one before you order the inserts. I need to get a new exam this year and will probably have to order a new set or at least the right eye.

At any rate, hope that helps some and welcome to 360 degrees of display, without having to press a button.

Last edited:
the eye alignment and tracking somewhat. If you don't have a current prescription for glasses I'd recommend getting one before you order the inserts. I need to get a new exam this year and will probably have to order a new set or at least the right eye.
As I mentioned, my current glasses broke the other day and I got a brand new prescription just yesterday. Along with $$$$ of new glasses. So I should be good RX wise. I just need to get the lenses.

It was good to hear that with the lenses I can get a better sweet spot, because it’s definitely not perfect at the moment. Still I’m loving what I see, even though it’s nowhere near as sharp as 4K HDR.

The headaches should get better over the coming weeks - they are predominantly caused by your brain trying to focus your eyes differently to the way they have been focusing for most of your life. The stronger your prescription is, the bigger problem this will be to retrain your brain. The sharpness of the image is also directly related to this issue. But give it time; persevere; it’s worth it.

I can 100% recommend the VR Optician inserts, which feature lenses made by Zeiss- the best that money can buy. They have cut-outs by the nose, which makes them particularly comfortable when worn close to the mask. https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/playstation-vr2

I am 63. I grew up with no computers and no concept of VR. I was an adult computer technician by the time the first PC games came out and I can remember the very first car racing games - very, very rudimentary! I bought early versions of Grand Turismo (for my kids) and was amazed by the realism but it was still just a game. Then films like The Matrix and Ready Player One came out and blew my mind as the concept of true VR sank in. But I never, ever dreamed that I would get to experience it myself within my lifetime.

And yet here I am, finishing work (as a programmer) early because I fancy going racing. A few decades ago I’d have to book a slot at my local track, change into my race suit, and drive to the circuit. In fact, none of this could be done at short notice, so racing was nearly always a 'weekend only' hobby. And yet now, while I am still young enough to enjoy the experience, I can finish work, walk to my rig on the other side of the room, strap myself into my seat, fire-up SimHub to hopefully get the haptics working (if the PC works today), don my PSVR2, and then pick a car and circuit to suit my mood. And I’m away, living my perfect racing scenario, battling unpredictable Sophy AI drivers who race hard, just like I remember from real-life racing.

Every time I sit in my rig and start a race - every single time - I praise the Gods of affordable technology that I have lived long enough to see the day when I can transport myself into a different immersive world from the comfort of my own home. GT7 and PSVR2 might still have its faults, but hell, I’m just glad to be able to enjoy it as it is, let alone possibly the next generation which will doubtless blow my mind even further!

Buy some insert lenses; get the best rig you can afford; fit some haptics (I’ll add a link below which might help you get started); and enjoy. Take it easy at first; give it time; try not to expect too much in terms of clarity, but it will definitely improve as your brain retrains the focus mechanism of your eyes. Then sit back and wonder why the rest of the world is still largely racing in 2D, either unable or unwilling to afford GT7 and PSVR2, or unwilling to persevere through the brain-training phase that can, I’ll admit, be a long and uncomfortable process for some (me included).

It’s a good time to be alive 👍

@TheNormsk congratulations!

-regarding focus and sharpness. My heads a bit of a cliff. Consequently, it would subtlety slide down. Took forever to notice. Just something to be aware of. Also, when adjusting the unit, use the halo to make movements, not the goggles. Youre probably already doing that, but worth mentioning in the beginning.

-re: nausea. I played until the slightest whiff of nausea, then quit immediately. After a week or two it was completely gone and hasn’t returned. You’ll likely acclimate faster as you have a nice cockpit. Just pretend your hopping in a car and try to act normally 😂

-re: nausea. I played until the slightest whiff of nausea, then quit immediately. After a week or two it was completely gone and hasn’t returned. You’ll likely acclimate faster as you have a nice cockpit. Just pretend your hopping in a car and try to act normally 😂
I think my headache was more beer related last night LOL.

I remapped my play area and boundaries are not an issue anymore. I ordered HonsVR RX inserts. I think I might have preferred the Zeiss lenses from VR Optician but the shipping from Europe, potential import taxes and lead-time made me think HonsVR was the better bet. A lot cheaper too.

Currently I am using an older pair of single vision computer glasses which have improved the blurriness at lot. I still notice that the distance cars down the track are not that distinct but I understand that is how it is rendered in the VR world now. I'm getting used to it.

I still want to reach out and touch stuff only to find I have no virtual arms that allow me to do this :D I want haptic feedback gloves that render my arms in the VR world. Perhaps in 10 years....?

Last edited:
Cough cough… PS Vita…
The irony is there's now a very good chance PlayStation will re-enter the handheld market. What form that will take we'll have to wait and see as Sony will not want to develop (completely) different software for this specific device. They'd need hardware that PS5/PS4 software can be ported to.

As for PSVR2, we'll see how committed Sony are to the hardware when PS5 Pro is released. The hardware will give PD lots of headroom to improve image quality & framerate. That would also be a good indication GT8 would support PSVR2.

If GT7 is ported to PC that opens up many more possibilities for VR support.

As for PSVR2, we'll see how committed Sony are to the hardware when PS5 Pro is released. The hardware will give PD lots of headroom to improve image quality & framerate.
If image quality improves with the Pro then that would give me reason to buy the Pro. In fact I’d be first in line now.

For the first time in 4 years Playstation is returning to the Tokyo Game Show. So in late september I am hopeful for PS5 Pro news and speculation of the PSVR2 GT7 update.
I am optimistic we will get some real time ray tracing effects.

Having got Gold on all the Music Rallies I’ve started working through the Cafe. Also doing the circuit experience on each track as I get to it. So far I’ve found some I’m faster and some are slower than the 2D experience. I think a lot of it is learning the bounds of the in cockpit view and trying to gauge when to shift gear by note rather than rev counter - as a lot of cars it’s hard to see. Still the cockpit view is what I’ve been missing in my racing. It feels so much more natural. Especially when the car slides. Seeing how the hood/bonnet moves in relation to the wheel makes it so much more intuitive. Loving it.

Btw if you have a VR only account feel free to send an invite.

NormskVR (Normsk_VR)

Last edited:
If image quality improves with the Pro then that would give me reason to buy the Pro. In fact I’d be first in line now.
Some of you here might not agree with me, but it is my belief that even if the PS5 Pro comes out, using the PSVR2, the resolution inside the headset will still not improve, you will see the same way... Unless they release a new PSVR3 with better internal....

The resolution of the PSVR2 is NOT limited by the PS5, but rather by the optics chosen by the PSVR2 design team to keep the cost down.

I reckon if Sony decides to release a PSVR3 with much better higher quality optics and internal, then the resolution would be of much better resolution even with the PS5 driving it.

Some of you here might not agree with me, but it is my belief that even if the PS5 Pro comes out, using the PSVR2, the resolution inside the headset will still not improve, you will see the same way... Unless they release a new PSVR3 with better internal....

The resolution of the PSVR2 is NOT limited by the PS5, but rather by the optics chosen by the PSVR2 design team to keep the cost down.

I reckon if Sony decides to release a PSVR3 with much better higher quality optics and internal, then the resolution would be of much better resolution even with the PS5 driving it.
The gains would be more about objects popping in and out. Frame rate, image stabilization, that sort of thing.

Having got Gold on all the Music Rallies I’ve started working through the Cafe. Also doing the circuit experience on each track as I get to it. So far I’ve found some I’m faster and some are slower than the 2D experience. I think a lot of it is learning the bounds of the in cockpit view and trying to gauge when to shift gear by note rather than rev counter - as a lot of cars it’s hard to see. Still the cockpit view is what I’ve been missing in my racing. It feels so much more natural. Especially when the car slides. Seeing how the hood/bonnet moves in relation to the wheel makes it so much more intuitive. Loving it.

Btw if you have a VR only account feel free to send an invite.

NormskVR (Normsk_VR)
I did create an account to run with the VR when I first got it. Only did enough on that account to complete all the normal license tests to compare with the LTs I did without VR on my main acct. After that I haven't run my main acct. without VR. Like you, I was faster in some, slower in others.

All the current LT and CE times will likely get wiped after the 25th update goes live.:ouch::grumpy::irked::(

Yeah, on some cars the tach is in a strange place. Think that Volvo V40 is just a bar gauge and kinda small.

Back