GTP Cool Wall: 1967-1969 Ford Thunderbird

1967-1969 Ford Thunderbird

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I saw one of these last week. It looked pretty large.

Not loved enough to be considered classic, not left field enough to be considered unknown and mysterious.

"What's that car? Oh it's a T-bird. I didn't know they made them for so long. Too bad it got so ugly."

Uncool.

Meh for me I like these t-birds but it is a uncool land yacht "personal luxury car". Shame the T-bird was stuck in this lame class from the 2nd gen to the 11th gen.

Uncool, just a big and unwieldy car that doesn't look particularly great to begin with.

I notice that a lot of people are commenting on the looks of the car, and while I do agree that it isn't very good looking, I think the front of it has most, if not all to do with it. Here is the similar (on the exterior) Lincoln Continental Mark III, with the biggest difference being the front end.

1969_Lincoln_Continental_Mark_III.JPG

It looks a lot better, whether you love or hate these types of cars. My biggest issue with it is that they took that car, put on a Ford badge, and changed a few details and called it an all new car (which didn't even deserve to be called a Thunderbird).

These T-Birds were about the last of the nicer looking models. In 1970, Ford decided to put a beak on the Thunderbird.

It resulted with this.

70_Ford_Thunderbird_manu-02-800.jpg

I got my years mixed up and came in here expecting the first-generation Thunderbird. I'm actually quite amazed that this one (according to wiki at least) is the fifth generation. They really got through 'em, didn't they?

Unfortunately, this one just doesn't have the appeal of the previous four generations, and the looks are a little generic. So combined with my disappointment that it isn't the 1950s one that's been nominated, it gets an uncool.
Here is the similar (on the exterior) Lincoln Continental Mark III, with the biggest difference being the front end.
The Continental is definitely much cooler.

Believe it or not, this was one of the concepts of this car, but unfortunately never made production. It's design elements went into this, the Mustang, Montego and Torino however. The front end clearly looks like a rip-off Charger.

FMjAUV0Jig99qrm1q84lAjJBo1_500.jpg

1968_Ford_Thunderbird_Saturn-II_Concept_Car_01.jpg

69ford_thunderbird_saturn2_03.jpg

The 4 door of this generation was sorta cool because at least it wasn't pretending to be something that it wasn't. Other than that, the best praise I can bestow upon it is that it wasn't the Bunkie-beaked monstrosity that followed, or the "Continental Mark IV for poor people" atrocity that followed that.

I know its a Torino. I was just pointing out the cone nose.

Last edited:
Hmm...it's got muscle car lines to it, which is cool.

The grill is cool.

Those hubcaps? Seriously uncool.

This example looks a lot better than the previous two generations with the goofy front end, and much much much better than the version that comes immediately after, which is a true land barge. This one has enough muscle car in it to avoid that designation, imo. Again, that front end (before they changed it again) is extremely cool.

It's a solid cool, though lower level. bottom quarter of cool, but definitely cool.

Seriously Uncool, it's a land yacht, which are all seriously uncool in my book.

Man, you gotta get yourself in one. It won't take a corner like a Miata, but if you're content with cruising around, there's nothing like it. There are malaise era models that are horrifically uncool, and there are some that are pretty nice. It largely depends on your brand preference, and that's that. Chevrolet and Oldsmobile take the cake for me.

RE: The Thunderbird

Nope. Nope, nope, nope. Never a fan of the T-Bird in many of it's forms, and this is of no exception. Uncool.

Large unattractive land yacht that does not have the interest or uniqueness to be a classic.

Uncool.

Uncool, I hated that Ford decided to turn their 2-seater sports car into a land yacht, I honestly think that the thunderbird should have stayed a sports car while Ford called this car something else.

Uncool, I hated that Ford decided to turn their 2-seater sports car into a land yacht, I honestly think that the thunderbird should have stayed a sports car while Ford called this car something else.
I agree but what is sad is the sales went crazy in '58 when Ford went to a personal luxury market.

Back