Premium
United Kingdom
Scarfolk
Grim10
Are you kidding?
Round One!

Team A vs. Team B

Debate Topic:-
People should have the right to carry firearms.

Team A will be arguing that they do, Team B will be arguing that they don't.

Deadline for 400 word arguement - Sunday 1st October.

Your 3 days to formulate a 400 word arguement start...

Now!

Man....now THIS is my kind of topic. Either way. Shucks! :)

Duke vs Famine on the right to own a gun? This should be good.

I'll get the beer. Who's got the chips and salsa?

I don't understand the topic - there's too many negatives...

We're arguing that the prohibition on the limitation of the 2nd Amendment should be removed. So... we're FOR guns, right?

We're arguing that the prohibition on the limitation of the 2nd Amendment should be removed. So... we're FOR guns, right?

Good question.

i got the impression Team A was saying yes to the govt choice in getting rid of the amendment and Team B was saying No to govt choice in keepin the amendment

The US governments’ prohibition on limiting the right of the people, under the Second Amendment, to carry and bear arms, should be removed from the Constitution.

Team A are arguing that yes, the prohibition should be removed.

Team B are arguing that no, the prohibition should remain.

Capiche?

Capiche?

So, let's make it even plainer(cause I still don't get it. :dunce:) Team A wants people to be able to carry guns and Team B thinks guns should stay at home?

...the prohibition is against limiting rights right?

So "No" prohibition is "yes" limit rights.
"Yes" prohibition is "no" limit rights.

So, let's make it even plainer(cause I still don't get it. :dunce:) Team A wants people to be able to carry guns and Team B thinks guns should stay at home?

Exact-a-mundo.

It's just agreeing/disagreeing with the given statement.

I just did this topic because I thought it would give people something more interesting to discuss.
If people want it changed, just say.

I guess it would be too much trouble to say one is for the right to bear arms and the other is against it, huh?

And for a second I thought I just had too much beer last night.

Capiche?
But the prohibition in the Second Amendment is actually against making laws prohibiting private ownership of guns... so if that prohibition is removed (Team A's assigned stance), then it would become legal to prohibit the right to keep and bear arms. In other words, Team A's assigned stance is actually "Boo, guns", not "Yay, guns" as indicated in the first post.

Clarification, please?

[edit] I'm not against the topic itself, I just need to know which side our teeam is arguing on.

I just did this topic because I thought it would give people something more interesting to discuss.
If people want it changed, just say.

I agree that it is an interseting topic. I don't think anyone wants it changed. They just want to make sure they don't end up arguing the same side.

I agree that it is an interseting topic. I don't think anyone wants it changed. They just want to make sure they don't end up arguing the same side.

But the prohibition in the Second Amendment is actually against making laws prohibiting private ownership of guns... so if that prohibition is removed (Team A's assigned stance), then it would become legal to prohibit the right to keep and bear arms. In other words, Team A's assigned stance is actually "Boo, guns", not "Yay, guns" as indicated in the first post.

Clarification, please?

[edit] I'm not against the topic itself, I just need to know which side our teeam is arguing on.

I guess it would be too much trouble to say one is for the right to bear arms and the other is against it, huh?

And for a second I thought I just had too much beer last night.

i got the impression Team A was saying yes to the govt choice in getting rid of the amendment and Team B was saying No to govt choice in keepin the amendment

Okay, I've changed the statement to make it as clear as possible and put an end to this confusing farce.

Okay, I've changed the statement to make it as clear as possible and put an end to this confusing farce.

At least we got it all taken care of in the first few hours of the debate and not Sudnay morning :D

I see some pretty solid arguments on both sides. There are a ton of different ways to spin it, so the word count is going to get in the way bigtime. I see the end result of this one being difficult to judge.

At least with the abortion topic, there were a limited number of ways to attack the problem....

I see some pretty solid arguments on both sides. There are a ton of different ways to spin it, so the word count is going to get in the way bigtime. I see the end result of this one being difficult to judge.

At least with the abortion topic, there were a limited number of ways to attack the problem....

All true. But I like this one better as it's not such a moral debate as it is a political one. Infact, this argument is above regular "opinion" because it has to deal with a specific phrase in an existing document. So it's about interpration. So you can use other things to help interpret it.

If I had a choice, I would've loved to have a topic like this.

Have fun guys!

Hey! What about me? I cant be on the computer at school! I guess this is the end of the line for me!

Latest Posts

Back