GTP Mass Debating Contest Real REAL Final Round!

• Thread starter Danny
  • 70 comments

Danny

Code Red
Premium
United Kingdom
Scarfolk
Grim10
Are you kidding?
Final Round!

Team AAAMM vs. Team E

Debate Topic:-
Is living in a Big Brother state a positive thing?

Team E will be arguing that yes it is, AAAMM will be arguing that it is not positive.

Deadline for 400 word arguement-Friday 16th February.

Your 7 days to formulate a 400 word arguement start...

Now!

Please acknowledge notice, teams and judges.

ok. Which nation's governments are we arguing about? When you say "we" you mean "people of the UK"?

The world as a whole, really. However, perhaps you'll find it easiest to focus on your own government.

The world as a whole, really. However, perhaps you'll find it easiest to focus on your own government.

Yea, I think it's important to restrict this to one nation's government. Otherwise you'll get an answer that says anarchistic nations like those that can be found in Africa, are completely the opposite of big brother states - while nations like North Korea would probably top the list.

I doubt you want to be comparing arguments about why some African nation is not in a big brother state, or why North Korea is.

I'd be most comfortable with America (because I know the most about American government), but I doubt everyone feels that way.

I don't know much about the structure of the government in the UK, and I have average knowledge of American government. Hmm.

L4S is British, this should be interesting.

I don't mind basing it on the American government, my knowledge on that is no worse than my knowledge on the British governemt :Lol:. I'm a bit unsure on the topic though, because although the definition of a big brother state is open to intepretation, what a govenrment does and does not do isn't. I could very happily argue weather or not a big borther government is a good or bad thing, but to say weather the government this and that or not is simply a true or false choice thing imo. There's a difference between justifying what a government does or not, and trying to deny it does something when it does or say it does when it doesn't ect. I'm just not quite seeing where you can go with this.

I don't mind basing it on the American government, my knowledge on that is no worse than my knowledge on the British governemt :Lol:.
Jeeez, Dave. :lol:

On this topic, I'd prefer it to be about the U.S. Government as well, but I think it's very important that we get everybody's on input on this one.

I'm a bit unsure on the topic though, because although the definition of a big brother state is open to intepretation, what a govenrment does and does not do isn't. I could very happily argue weather or not a big borther government is a good or bad thing, but to say weather the government this and that or not is simply a true or false choice thing imo. There's a difference between justifying what a government does or not, and trying to deny it does something when it does or say it does when it doesn't ect. I'm just not quite seeing where you can go with this.

Completely agree. The topic is not really open to debate. 👎

On this topic, I'd prefer it to be about the U.S. Government as well, but I think it's very important that we get everybody's on input on this one.

I don't know about the others on my team, but since none of us are from the US, I personally don't think that's completely fair.

Ok, any suggestions for a new topic?

Deadline can be extended.

I don't know about the others on my team, but since none of us are from the US, I personally don't think that's completely fair.
No, I agree. I apologize, but I couldn't remember who all were involved in this debate. With you, Dave from U.K., Danoff from the States, that does make it kind of hard.
Ok, any suggestions for a new topic?

Deadline can be extended.
I just thought of one that most can relate to. Safe(slow) driving vs. Efficient(fast) driving. Should you obey the speed limit, or should you go along with the traffic flow? Is it OK to pass from the slow lane, when someone is driving at the speed limit in the fast lane? That kind of argument. I know I can relate to a topic like that.

Ok, first post amended.

I declare this farce...over!

Please note deadline has also changed.

...and the final round has been postponed again.

Sorry about this guys, but we need a fitting end to round 6 first, as Danoff has permitted the round to continue, since Duke has been busy.

Once again, sorry for the inconvenience, I hope you'll understand.

So the topic isn’t going to be the same, or our deadline is just unknown at this point?

The topic will be changed.

A completely new topic and deadline will be posted in this thread, and I will PM the participants.
Some things can't be helped, I'm afraid.

...and the final round has been postponed again.

Sorry about this guys, but we need a fitting end to round 6 first, as Danoff has permitted the round to continue, since Duke has been busy.

Once again, sorry for the inconvenience, I hope you'll understand.
And I've got to offer my own sincere apology to Teams AAAMM and Team E, as well as to Bullet.Proof, for gumming up the works like this. I really appreciate your consideration. Best of luck to everybody that makes it to the final round!

Let's put this to bed now ;)

I think you can have some fun with this topic.

Actual Final Round!

Team AAAMM vs. Team E

Debate Topic:-
Do the negative effects on the public from Mass Media outweigh the positives of having it?

Team E will be arguing that the negatives outweigh the positives, AAAMM will be arguing that the positives of the Mass Media outweigh the negatives.

Deadline for 400 word arguement-Thursday 12th April
Your 7 days to formulate a 400 word arguement start...

Now!

Please acknowledge notice, teams and judges.

Not sure the timing could possibly be worse.

Any chance we can get a little longer to turn this in?

Latest Posts

Back