GTP NASCAR Sprint Cup S4 Champs: Akmuq, Hendrick, Chevrolet

• Thread starter Niop
  • 3,170 comments
It would appear we have reached a dead end.

Mediums or Softs because too much grip.

People don't want Hards because too much life.

How about just goingon mediums, still longer life, and more grip but it's the only mid way point I can think of.

Drop. I am getting same, if not better wear out of a Racing Soft since the update than a Racing hard pre-update.

Yes, but we can't run a pre-update hard tire now, so that comparison isn't any way useful. All that matters now is which available tire wears at the desired rate for us now? How many laps can you get now on a racing soft, medium, and hard tire at Daytona, Motegi, and Indy? Those are the numbers we need to evaluate before making any decisions.

So on one hand, Daytona and Indy become boring fuel mileage races where nobody goes 100% until the last lap like SSRX.

On the other, we give the cars a very unrealistic amount of grip and make them boring to drive, even if we were to enforce something like minimum aero.

Is there a way that we can stay on Hards at least for the Road courses, if you do decide to change to a softer tire? IRL, Goodyear bring different compounds to different tracks.

Yes, but we can't run a pre-update hard tire now, so that comparison isn't any way useful. All that matters now is which available tire wears at the desired rate for us now? How many laps can you get now on a racing soft, medium, and hard tire at Daytona, Motegi, and Indy? Those are the numbers we need to evaluate before making any decisions.

On rough maths Hard tyres would last for over 80 laps.

Of course you guys are forgetting something. 0 stop races are impossible, we would still have to pit for fuel.

Been reading everything that has been going in today. This tyre life update seems to have really screwed us over in SC (and NNS). I agree with keeping on Hards if possible as others would be too grippy. So a little brainstorming has brought me to the following for discussion:

1) change to a lesser compound than Hards (probably Sports)
2) increase the length if the shorter races (which brings more endurance)
3) figure out the fuel consumptions to make strategy more around this, rather than tyres

As for quali I think this collision thing will have to be the way with reset for race afterwards. This gives all an opportunity to have a quali setup on while taking out the free run draft element.

We may need more than a one week break to get to a sensible conclusion.

Like also the idea if an Indy race as Mule suggested, to test as a comparative to our last race.

This is going to require a lot of testing to figure out and get right before we get back on track for points. I know this is an off-week, but I might try to organize some unofficial exhibition races at Indy/Daytona/Motegi this Saturday so I can compile some data.

Just had a quick go at Indy by myself. The car feels more responsive than before, and also feels much looser.

EDIT: Send me a message on PSN if someone has a test room up with a few guys in, I'll join you. For now I think I'll play some Borderlands 2.

Last edited:
This is going to require a lot of testing to figure out and get right before we get back on track for points. I know this is an off-week, but I might try to organize some unofficial exhibition races at Indy/Daytona/Motegi this Saturday so I can compile some data.

FYI I won't be around till about 1AM my time that night so don't expect me, if your still on I'll join though, that is if you don't mind a possibly drunk Irish guy around. :dopey:

Matty
FYI I won't be around till about 1AM my time that night so don't expect me, if your still on I'll join though, that is if you don't mind a possibly drunk Irish guy around. :dopey:

And mute :sly:

Hards have doubled at most maybe a little more than doubled in life but not by much.

Just a thought. In DTM they race with two mandatory pit windows. Say it's a 40 lap race for example, they would have the window open 16-22 and 28-32 (guesses on precise numbers). This means every car has to pit twice, within these designated laps.

DTM now has no fuel allowed as the tanks are more than big enough. This kind of equates to what we have in our shorter races.

So, adopting this would mean we can keep the Hards. The Majors would still have pitting strategies as the mandatory pitting wouldn't work here, but the shorter (and definitely road races) could benefit from this new strategy layout.

Yes it takes away from 1 v 2 pitstops in a race, but brings in whether you put early or late in the designated windows.

Would also mean we have to change very little for the rest of the season, with only adopting 'windows' to those races that deserve them.

Thoughts?

I think it could work, with team going for 3 even stints, 2 long 1 short or 2 short 1 long stints.

Still some strategy but it's gone down a bit.

What did you all do before the first tyre wear update? S1 and a bit of S2 I believe?

Can't really remember. Strategy, setup knowledge and competition was nowhere like it is now so I think it's fair to say it didn't really matter.

I remember us as a group having a little complain about it, but it did actually work out for the better!

I don't see how road races would benefit because the tyres still run out before the fuel. It would only help on ovals to stop the race becoming a contest to see who can use the least fuel.

Spurgy 777
I don't see how road races would benefit because the tyres still run out before the fuel. It would only help on ovals to stop the race becoming a contest to see who can use the least fuel.

But tyres are not running out quick enough to maybe even necessitate one stop at SuzE, so why not force pitstops instead.

Fuel is never an issue anyway at SuzE or Monza, for example.

But tyres are not running out quick enough to maybe even necessitate one stop at SuzE, so why not force pitstops instead.

Fuel is never an issue anyway at SuzE or Monza, for example.

Might wanna reconsider that...

Anyway, to fill you in on my experiences, I ran out of sufficient tire grip on racing hards after 10 laps of Autumn Ring in Nel's enduro series (the car was a Nissan Silvia RM) and went on to pit twice in a 50 lap race. Of course there are stillbetter tiresavers out there, but even that doesn't mean they would have infinite grip throughout the race, especially on a twisty track like SuzE.

I did 29 laps in my 2nd stint with very little drop off... On my last lap I was only 2 secs off my best lap of the race.. :D I certainly could have gone another 10-20 laps if the race was longer. (My tyres were barely 40-50% worn)

I did 29 laps in my 2nd stint with very little drop off... On my last lap I was only 2 secs off my best lap of the race.. :D

Well, it was you...

On my 17 lap stints, they got to around 50% grip and understeered everywhere.

It did but there wasn't enough reward you could maybe squeeze another 3 laps of tyre by being smooth. Now you can squeeze alot more out.

I think a bunch if us need to get together and do some testing in a big pack.

MÜLE_9242;7653664
I think a bunch if us need to get together and do some testing in a big pack.

Maybe around 9pm BST, saturday night? I can do that for an hour.

And you can all listen to furi's theory's, how tyre life has tripled, how he could get 25 laps from softs before the patch, and how he did a pretty poor lap of Le Mans. Oh, and how the TOCA S6 grid is stronger than ever.

The alternative is to mute Furi.

Back