GTP NASCAR Sprint Cup S4 Champs: Akmuq, Hendrick, Chevrolet

• Thread starter Niop
  • 3,170 comments
And you can all listen to furi's theory's, how tyre life has tripled, how he could get 25 laps from softs before the patch, and how he did a pretty poor lap of Le Mans. Oh, and how the TOCA S6 grid is stronger than ever.

The alternative is to mute Furi.

Oh thanks a lot. I was actually making a valid point until you just decided to throw a cheap shot at me :ouch:

Just a thought. In DTM they race with two mandatory pit windows. Say it's a 40 lap race for example, they would have the window open 16-22 and 28-32 (guesses on precise numbers). This means every car has to pit twice, within these designated laps.

DTM now has no fuel allowed as the tanks are more than big enough. This kind of equates to what we have in our shorter races.

So, adopting this would mean we can keep the Hards. The Majors would still have pitting strategies as the mandatory pitting wouldn't work here, but the shorter (and definitely road races) could benefit from this new strategy layout.

Yes it takes away from 1 v 2 pitstops in a race, but brings in whether you put early or late in the designated windows.

Would also mean we have to change very little for the rest of the season, with only adopting 'windows' to those races that deserve them.

Thoughts?

Knelly,

Why not just say you have to make 2 pit stops and then you don't have to remember what laps you can pit on. Also have a rule where you can't pit on the first or last lap?

Just my thoughts on this suggestion.

nate11x
Knelly,

Why not just say you have to make 2 pit stops and then you don't have to remember what laps you can pit on. Also have a rule where you can't pit on the first or last lap?

Just my thoughts on this suggestion.

Makes it kind of like Tom's IndyCar Series too which is something I'm indifferent about.

Somewhat offtopic, but does any one of you know where I could watch the full Round 21 of the 2011 Sprint Cup Series? I've gone through the progress of watching every 2011 race and everything has as of now gone well with Youtube, however, no full race exists for this one, not even in parts. :guilty:

(Oh, and it's the 2nd Pocono race of the year, the one Keselowski won)

Makes it kind of like Tom's IndyCar Series too which is something I'm indifferent about.

Well we don't have a set pit stop number, you just have to use two tyre compounds throughout the race if it's on the road or street.

TomMcD
Well we don't have a set pit stop number, you just have to use two tyre compounds throughout the race if it's on the road or street.

I said kind of.

Mediums on road, Softs on ovals.

I dunno, I think most won't mind the softs on ovals as IIRC a few mentioned it, but Niop and MULE won't like Mediums on road.

Well we can't use hards, they last forever...
100% agreed.

We should also try to bump up the 502 hp limit.
This is something I've already started to consider. The biggest problem is that more speed = less reaction time to prevent/avoid accidents, and you start running unrealistic speeds at NASCAR tracks.

I personally think Daytona should stay 502hp regardless, the other tracks could be raised I suppose.

This is something I've already started to consider. The biggest problem is that more speed = less reaction time to prevent/avoid accidents, and you start running unrealistic speeds at NASCAR tracks.

Well how big of a difference is is really going to make if we run like 580 HP or something? We always have 2 or more wrecks every race so it's not like 580 HP is going to make that much of a change 502 HP is doing now.

Did you not like the 2 mandatory pit stop idea for shorter a road races?

You never commented either way!

It was looking to provide a temporary fix for the rest of the season without having to change compound or race distances, which I thought we were looking to accomplish.

Knelly
It was looking to provide a temporary fix for the rest of the season without having to change compound or race distances, which I thought we were looking to accomplish.

When you put it like that it makes sense actually.

Let's just get some testing down this Saturday to see where everything is at.
I don't get why changing to a softer compound is being treated like the end of the world or something.

Let's just get some testing down this Saturday to see where everything is at.
I don't get why changing to a softer compound is being treated like the end of the world or something.

It's just a bit of a knee jerk reaction, best to put something in place and just get on with the season. Never good to mess around with specs in the middle of a season.

I can see why people wouldn't like it as on road tracks for sure it will make the cars way too easy to drive etc. Also softer tyres would require people to change their hard tyre tunes as they would understeer too much with softer tyres.

TomMcD
It's just a bit of a knee jerk reaction, best to put something in place and just get on with the season. Never good to mess around with specs in the middle of a season.

Which is why the only two options I can see to keep compounds and distances would be:

a) change nothing and have far fewer pit stops
b) bring mandatory pit stops based on the average amount required, per race

The specs have already been changed from the aero and ride height.
I'm running 34.6s in the same setup I was running 33.8s at Motegi which is considerably slower.
Then I go to Daytona and run a 48.8 just with no downforce, didn't even put my Daytona setup. Just changed the downforce. My best laps with my Daytona setup was 49.1s before 2.08.
So might as well change tire compound as well? I mean we all have our base tunes, we just have to tweak them a bit. We don't have to throw out the entire tune and start all over again...

The specs have already been changed from the aero and ride height.
I'm running 34.6s in the same setup I was running 33.8s at Motegi which is considerably slower.
Then I go to Daytona and run a 48.8 just with no downforce, didn't even put my Daytona setup. Just changed the downforce. My best laps with my Daytona setup was 49.1s before 2.08.
So might as well change tire compound as well? I mean we all have our base tunes, we just have to tweak them a bit. We don't have to throw out the entire tune and start all over again...

I mean the specs for this series, radically changing compounds and power levels half way through the regular season doesn't sound like a particularly great idea.

I mean the specs for this series, radically changing compounds and power levels half way through the regular season doesn't sound like a particularly great idea.

Agreed 100%.

Back