GTP NASCAR Thunder Series // Joe, JuanLessJetDryer, Joe and Chqr win!

• Thread starter Chqr
  • 609 comments

Should we change Race 14 (14 laps of Daytona Oval) and if so to what?

• 5 laps of Monza (No Chicanes)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What ever happened to the Oval Championships?

And also still very unhappy about that massive lag shot that ruined any title hopes I had coming into today. :grumpy:

2nd on lap 2 going into the corkscrew, coming out in 11th.. I seriously think at that point the race should have been restarted.

Oval Championships were scrapped. It was thought that with 11 races being Ovals and 4 races being Road Courses and the opportunity to drop 4 races, it wasn't needed anymore. The Drivers' Championship serves as a big enough indicator of the best Oval runner.

Am I the only one who thinks the car was too easy to drive?

For S2, I'll be looking at tire wear for all races and race lengths all the same.

I think the compound was too grippy for the ovals. The degradation was great though so I'll look at ways of getting around this maybe.

The race lengths this season were great. At Indy, Motegi and Daytona we had really exciting pit strategies.

Oh yeah and I'm definitely scrapping the car. It was fun but we need something that will really test and give an 'All-Star' feel to this series.

3/3 for what I could've won, not bad :D

Incredible stuff, mate. You really dominated this season.

Independents' was much more straightforward this season with the top-four in the Drivers' being in Teams'.

Congrats to Joe and Chqr on the championships, well done.

Ken, it was fun doing donuts with you at Laguna Seca. Good times, lol.

Chqr, nice job running this fun series. Looking forward to see what car we have for next season. 👍

nope, u're not the only one ;). But i guess this season was just a test, the "beta" Thunder ;)

I would like to see the Challenger TC for S2. That should be a good spec car for this type of series. And it not cliche like a camaro or a street car, etc. No one has a good Series with a Challenger in it.

Didn't really think it was an All-Star series, more like a "Wreck everyone else but let Joe get through safely" series...

I'm kind of certain I won't return to another series with overpowered cars that people can't drive while keeping their lane.

I tried posting a comment on there earlier but couldn't figure it out. Great work though mate. 👍

Viper ACR on sport tires?

I'd prefer the Ford Mustang GT with Racing Hard tires rather than a high-powered supercar. This season proved to be too much for some as the Corvette kept slipping around the track and you couldn't keep a straight line unless using a wheel.

I (sadly) agree with Carbonox. The entire season pretty much consisted of everyone - sometimes involving me - wrecking each other but letting Joe get through safely. I don't hate Joe, I respect him, but it doesn't seem right to let just one single guy pick up a ton of wins and good finishes but messing up the chances of everyone else.

chqr, there were tons of problems, but these can easily be fixed. Use a car that doesn't oversteer, just like I suggested, and for the sake of good racing, make NASCAR Thunder exclusive to those who have raced in at least 10 races in the Sprint Cup and Nationwide.

@TomMcD - Great write-up. 👍

I don't know what the problem is. I was only in last night but around Laguna my car felt really stable. My spin was completely my fault trying to push to too early, but other than that I had a podium car and was running cars down through all the laps.

Felt really good in the Ovals as well :confused:

I thought it was a great choice Chqr.

I'd prefer the Ford Mustang GT with Racing Hard tires rather than a high-powered supercar. This season proved to be too much for some as the Corvette kept slipping around the track and you couldn't keep a straight line unless using a wheel.

I (sadly) agree with Carbonox. The entire season pretty much consisted of everyone - sometimes involving me - wrecking each other but letting Joe get through safely. I don't hate Joe, I respect him, but it doesn't seem right to let just one single guy pick up a ton of wins and good finishes but messing up the chances of everyone else.

chqr, there were tons of problems, but these can easily be fixed. Use a car that doesn't oversteer, just like I suggested, and for the sake of good racing, make NASCAR Thunder exclusive to those who have raced in at least 10 races in the Sprint Cup and Nationwide.

@TomMcD - Great write-up. 👍

Sorry to hear about your Japan Series, mate but this is my view.

I don't think its a case of drivers letting Joe through more easily. Joe bar me was the only to driver who turned up to every race this season. Therefore, he had the most opportunites to 'cancel' out his worse finishes. He was wrecked in the first two Daytona races but because he did every race this season with a better finish, he dropped those two plus two others. Niop was wrecked in four races this season but only turned up to 13. Had he done two more races and not got wrecked, he would've been able to drop those finishes. Joe was on the luckier side of the boat but I think he worked his luck this season by turning up to all the events and especially the events with fewer drivers.

There were far too many wrecks. In an invitational series, this was not expected and precendented on my behalf. I have raced with every driver in this lobby but a lot of crashes were due to lag, some were due to careless driving but it was simply the car at the end of the day. We started off the preseason great. Everybody enjoyed the car but stick on a road course and with 15 other cars in a draft, the ballgame changes.

Therefore, the car is out and changes will be made. However, there still is life left once everyone can control the car (including myself) and know the boundaries of it. The car choice in hindsight was wrong. The concept was good but the execution was not ideal.

Hence, I will draft in Furinkazen's help to nail the concept, nail the car choice and specification and rules for S2. Also, I trust Furinkazen's connection more and I feel that we all have a stronger connection with him (broadband obviously :crazy:).

There was some really exciting racing but it was marred by crashes which were not due to dirty racing but by a very challenging oversteering car on the road courses and too agile oval car.

Even if I was 4th overall and spent time in 2nd before leaving, I believe I have a worse taste in my mouth after this than anyone else has. I mean, honestly, why wasn't I allowed to battle for the championship when I also made every possible race? Joe was definitely a V.I.P. for the field (not for me - I was only making sure I wouldn't collide with anyone if it wasn't a bump draft) while everyone else was an opponent whom they probably would rather see in the wall and 10 seconds down than too close to them.

I would say that I feel sorry for letting down my team like that, but in all honesty, I'm not as I recognized the situation where there was no hope for a clean future and did what most non-masochists would have done.

I reckon the Vette's should have been 905hp for ovals, so they could run quicker, it wouldn't be as much of a clustered pack race.

I can see that working on Motegi and Indy Furi but Daytona would be a mess.

I just think we need a newish car (2000 onwards) that handles sort of like the Challenger RM. So in a way that puts out all RM and TC models in that time frame, due to agile-ness.

Maybe we should have almost stock Z06's running on Racing Hard/Sport tyres. Or even a done up Mustang without aero parts on Sports Softs. Obviously this would mess up the Stints a bit, but instead of 3 races a week if we had 2 longer ones and with the sport tyres becoming hard to use due to drop off after roughly 25% wear.

I think that would solve the tyre wear problem (From my idea), and the oversteer problem whilst also keeping oversteer some what in the picture. And also keep/bring (Whatever your opinion may be) that edge to driving the car solo or around someone else.

Run with Aston Martin DB9's and pretend they are 2013 Sprint Cup Ford Fusions. They look similar enough.

MustangRyan
Run with Aston Martin DB9's and pretend they are 2013 Sprint Cup Ford Fusions. They look similar enough.

As much as I thought 'trolling' when I first seen this he's damn right. I remember Top Gear covering a story about the 2012 Ford Fusion which would be the European 2013 Ford Mondeo, and saying it looks just like the Aston Martin's.

Well, its not going to be a few months before this starts up again as we have IROC, Trucks and Indy Lights in the pipeline. That's not to forget Crazy's Winston Cup and Knelly's euroRacecar so there's plenty more to look forward to.

I'm trying out the SRT8 Dodge Challenger TC as a potential S2 car but also maybe a Mustang or the 1970 Trans-Crammer. We'll see. I might reduce the series size to three weekends with three races each weekend with a weekend at Daytona, Motegi and Indy. We shall see though. I'm planning on finding a car that is exciting but fair to handle with tire wear on for all races and pit strategy a big element as it was this season. I might reduce the field to 12 or 14 to help minimise lag too. We shall see.

^thanks Chqr, the Winston Cup needs more input n interest before that will ever take off. And I think the challenger is a great choice, I think I said that on last page too in this thread. Or the trans cammer like you suggested. Its a beast n is very stable. Also is a spec'd nascar race car from 1970. That's a great choice in my eyes.

Back