GTP Online Racing Bureau (GTP ORB) Now Hiring!

• Thread starter gogatrs
  • 1,489 comments
I already did it... Can't you check for stuff we've already done before ruling it out? That took some effort..

Sorry man, I did, we need to have a lot of people with access to the database so we can add, alter and delete different drivers.

btw Gogatrs, you mentioned making one master Google account? We wouldn't have to as Google Docs allows people to add any one to the document as an editor. I'll just need every one's e-mail. So if any one would like to have access to the sheet, please PM me your e-mail address.

Btw JL! I had a typo in my previous post talking about the group! I meant to say that I DID want to take the discussion there, just not work it out of there.

Okay. Am I still supposed to be the judging person? If titles are gonna get shifted, I'd still like to keep the responsibilities I volunteered for. Although I figure we could worry about other things and just keep them the same, which seems easier to me.

I don't use e-mail, so will I just keep up with my disciplinary stuff in the social group?

Speaking of GoogleDocs forms, can someone slap one of those together for applying for a position?
I'll see if I can do that on my iPod, but I doubt it...

Can't wait to post these things! Almost done hahaha

Back to work! Later!

No ones saying that our "roles" are changing. Wardez is right. Let's not assign "official" titles just yet, though we kinda have a general idea of who is going to be what. Flexibility is a good thing for now.

Okay. Should I change my user title? Although we've pretty much established I'd be doing this since page 2 of the thread :lol:.

Titles of nobility? :lol:
Should it rather be called a job? Or role? Sorry, "title" kinda bothers me. :P

Currently making adjustments to Mini Challenge...

EliteDreamer
Making currently making

:dunce: Nice one :). Just kidding.

I guess I'll just keep it the same, I'll change it if the technical name changes, but it'll be the same role.

For which car? You should change your user title too, bro, conform to the group and whatnot :P.

I can see that, but we need publicity :sly:. I'm just kidding with you, you don't have to. And Indy Road Course sounds fun in a Mini.

Autumn Ring would be cool with those cars too.

Good night everyone.
I hope to wake up to MANY pics from Wardez.
This is like Christmas Eve for me. :dopey:

(posting from phone)
Indy's a no-go, for the minis, straight's too long.
Suzuka, Eiger, have rain.

btw I'm glad we're coming back down to Earth.

And RT, Club format's the "x spots left " type of series.

@gatrs
What type of pics exactly?

Would you like me to put you on the tentative job list, Wardez? I mean, it seems pretty plain that you will want to help with Google Docs, license testing, and PhotoShop. Unless there's something I'm missing :).

And I think he means the tier badges.

Guys I'll admit I haven't been following this like I should, could someone give me a daily or weeklly digest of notes relating to any position I'm given please?

Guys I'll admit I haven't been following this like I should, could someone give me a daily or weeklly digest of notes relating to any position I'm given please?

We're not handing out positions, you just volunteer yourself for whatever you'd like to be a part of and you're set 👍

Here's our sign up form:

https://spreadsheets1.google.com/sp...mkey=dGxiemhwYUFNMmhtc3AtNW1TTVg3Znc6MQ#gid=1

Here's the condensed, easy to remember, bitly link:
http://bit.ly/ORBsignup

If someone asks where to sign up just tell them, " Bit dot ly slash orbsignup dude, EVERY BODY KNOWS THAT HAHAHAHAHAHA"

All sign-up information is dumped into a spreadsheet located on the back-end of the form which only officials will be allowed to view. I've already given access to EliteDreamer. He's the only one who's sent me his E-mail.

It can be from any E-mail service, doesn't have to be Gmail. Cam, if you don't have E-mail I highly suggest you start a Gmail account.

Last edited:
Wow, it's impossible to keep up with this thread! Seems like things are changing on an hour to hour basis, that's kind of concerning. There are a lot of good ideas here but if this thing is to work it needs to start simple and have a very solid foundation to build from. Wardez has the right idea and goal and he has lots of experience with all aspects of this idea (racing, time trialing, management, tech) so his advice is what we need.

I think the idea of anybody that signs up getting the amateur license is ok but for a league or club to be under the ORB umbrella I would think they need to pass certification and be homologated. There should be a few structures available for different formats (i.e. qualifying, points, schedule, etc.) and once a league/club adopts the formats that fit them best, then they can be certified as an ORB series. A series director can choose whether the members need a license or not to participate, but the structure of the series should conform to a certain set of standards that are proven to work.

Example, I submitted the Capp Cup as a possible league but right now we are in the middle of a season and running a format I developed myself. I don't think it should qualify as an ORB series until after our current season finishes and I can re-tool the format to fit ORB standards. That way when people join an ORB certified series they will have some idea of how things will be done. Obviously 1 format won't fit every group so we'd need a few options available, like some have suggested, and the series director can pick the qualifying/points/schedule formats that best suit their needs/goals.

The idea of random members from the ORB setting the target times for the license tests doesn't seem right to me. If Wardez and R1600 set the target times than not many of us will have much hope of getting a good license! lol :) Is there a more arbitrary way of setting the targets for licenses? Perhaps we could copy some of the A-Spec license tests and use the times the game sets as a target. Or maybe simply use the Seasonal Time Trial events and award licenses based on overall percentage of the leaderboard. Example, if you're in the top 5% of the leaderboard you get the top license, if you're in the 6-15% range you get the second from top license, etc.

Just some thoughts, not trying to rain on the parade or anything like that. It's good to see this much brainstorming going on. Hopefully we can all flesh out the best ideas to build a solid foundation that we can grow with. 👍

The idea of random members from the ORB setting the target times for the license tests doesn't seem right to me. If Wardez and R1600 set the target times than not many of us will have much hope of getting a good license! lol :) Is there a more arbitrary way of setting the targets for licenses? Perhaps we could copy some of the A-Spec license tests and use the times the game sets as a target. Or maybe simply use the Seasonal Time Trial events and award licenses based on overall percentage of the leaderboard. Example, if you're in the top 5% of the leaderboard you get the top license, if you're in the 6-15% range you get the second from top license, etc.

Just some thoughts, not trying to rain on the parade or anything like that. It's good to see this much brainstorming going on. Hopefully we can all flesh out the best ideas to build a solid foundation that we can grow with. 👍

Great ideas man!

What I said earlier, buried I know, was that we would have every one get together over a couple days and report on what the best possible time they were able to manage on a certain track. Since we're not judging based on a single hot-lap run but a time trial of a four lap average it should be pretty easy to make up a structured way of getting a good benchmark total time that works.

I'm writing of the exact right now but this is the gist of the time trial format.

Registered guy jumps into a room with a testing admin. The admin. starts a five lap race. The first lap is a warm up, and then the driver goes for the best total time he can possibly get over the remaining four laps.

In order to get that total time the admin. just takes the total race time and subtracts the first warm up lap time from it.

So let's get hypothetical for a minute. In the following example, the target time trial time is an 8:05 for an Intermediate level license.

So say the total time for a certain license test is 10:09. The admin checks the first lap time, which is a 2:09, and subtracts it from the total. The person's actual license time is then a 8:00.
Thus he successfully passes the Inter. license and receives the certificate in his PM box.

The way we'll actually set the target time is by, like I said, us trying our best to set the fastest time possible then! ...we reduce that time by a few seconds, depending on track length.

Big woop!

That sounds good. It seemed like just 1 or 2 members were going to set times and that would be the decider. An average would work out best, just take a little more work but sounds solid. 👍

Also, I know I volunteered to do license tests but I don't have a ton of free time (3 Capp Cup races per week) so I probably shouldn't be the primary official for this but can be "on-call" on certain days of the week as a backup. Monday's, Thursday's and Sunday's would be best for me to administer license tests.

You may have a good idea, but it has a lot of problems to overcome.

1. You should have at least settled all the details before posting a thread in the regular "Racing Series" section. People should be able to read the first page to see what all the regulations, specs, etc., are. The way it is, you have to read through 700+ posts only to find out that the organizers still haven't worked out the details. Maybe it should be in "interest check" until you have it ready to implement.

2. A lot of people are going to have a problem with any group that just decided to be the "authority" on how online racing should be. I see this as your biggest hurdle. If you can't get the respect of a majority of the people, then who is going to take your organization seriously? You have to realize that a vast majority of people do not know who any of you are, and therefore have no reason to allow you to judge them. Personally I've been in a lot of online racing series since GT5 came out and there are only a couple of people in your list of officers that I know anything about. There are also a couple on that list that would completely eliminate this whole idea from any consideration. Your officers need to have the respect of the general community, and a "legend in my own mind" attitude is not the way to get that respect.

3. A good idea looks like it just snowballed into an overly complicated mess, mainly due to way too many people trying to run things. Start out simple, once you earn some respect, you can slowly implement more changes.

4. Any one involved in this should not be a major part of any racing series of their own. Surely you can see a problem with this?

I do think you have a good idea. But honestly I don't believe you will be able to overcome some of these problems, the main one being earning the respect of the general population.

Again, I think you have the start of a good idea and I hope you clean up the mess and find some way to make it work.

Back