GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 22 : AsaparaWhat?

• Thread starter EDK
  • 344 comments
Went in too tight. :ouch: Should I have went wide after turn 1, stayed in the middle?

It's not helping you. Would suggest bringing it back across track more gradually. I'm putting both rights on rumble before Coca-Cola, braking at second marker sign, coasting to apex and hammering out.

You don't need to be all the way right until that rumble. Definitely do not recommend putting wheels over that rumble. It's too tall, you could hook them in and risk a spin.

EDK
It's not helping you. Would suggest bringing it back across track more gradually. I'm putting both rights on rumble before Coca-Cola, braking at second marker sign, coasting to apex and hammering out.

You don't need to be all the way right until that rumble. Definitely do not recommend putting wheels over that rumble. It's too tall, you could hook them in and risk a spin.

Thanks.

You see the second pic of the questionable area you wanted?

fujispeedwayf1j.jpg

Thanks.

You see the second pic of the questionable area you wanted?

\​

Yes. While that looks clean, I would suggest getting a lap that's not as borderline. Not to mention the fact that you'll likely be faster if you take the correct line.

While I'm at it, let me give you a T1 writeup that will help you pick up some time there. Right now, you're well off the pace for one corner, and your approach may not be helping.

It starts with a great launch out of the final turn. You want to take a relatively flat, late apex line through there. Keep the car almost all the way out to the left, but make sure you brake on time to be able to set up and aim the car without unsettling it or having severe understeer. I'm using second gear, and am on the gas as soon as I get the car pointed toward that left rumble. Mash it down and up to 3rd. Fastest to just put the left tires on the rumble, getting the car too far over there is probably going to cost you some.

Make sure you're shifting at or just below redline. Going above redline toward the limiter has a big power and accel dropoff in this car.

Get over the the left as you approach turn 1, but be careful not to dip a tire into the grass or onto that concrete strip there. It has a tendency to grab the car and not want to let it go.

I'm watching for the reflector on the left fence, and then braking between the next 2 marker signs after that. Before the rumble, but after that last sign before the leftside rumble.

All the way down to second with the left tires on the left rumble, then apex the right tires directly onto the inside rumble while coasting, then hammer out, being careful not to run wide on the left exit. As mentioned, gradually bring the car back across here, which is also a good racing line that protects you from an aggressive driver trying to take the inside line for a pass at Coca-Cola.

Hope that helps you in your quest for improvement. 👍

Last edited:
EDK
Yes. While that looks clean, I would suggest getting a lap that's not as borderline. Not to mention the fact that you'll likely be faster if you take the correct line.

Yep, didn't intend to submit that lap, was just wondering about the white concrete slabs.

T1: 21.134
T2: 32.386

-

More work:

T1: 21.100
T2: 31.504

Shame about the T3, but still more to find. Looks like I missed some great advice to work in 👍

Since I'm still on Kevin's tune, I tried his suggestion of 4th-rev-limiter on 100R and it really did keep my minimum speed there higher, 109-110mph. 👍

I'm not having problems using his tune and the default LSD either. Sure I still spin out, but usually understand what I did to induce it.

The only turn I haven't figured out is Dunlop! Every other turn I feel I've nailed at least once. :dunce:

Nice improvements!: Ealirendur, Pluscat, Dan

Starting to get a good flow through T1 but almost spun exiting coca-cola which made me take an "interesting" line through 100R on this lap... I went way wide on entry and had to lift off, then back to full throttle into the corner all the way up to 197kph and another lift towards the end of the turn and back to full just before the exit. Sure looked funny in the data logger :). Took a dent in T2 because of that but managed to clean up T3 for 2 tenths better at the line.

T1: 20.617
T2: 30.975

Any tips on turn 2? I always miss my braking point and go wide.

I'll hope to get some runs in on saturday, tomorrow is the last day of work before the holidays. And yes, there will be beer :lol:

just had a go with EDK's tune and it gave me .2 at the line so :cheers:
20:959
31:150
i think by the end of the week i should have a .7 at t1 and under 31 at t2 but we'll have to see about that :dopey:

I'll hope to get some runs in on saturday, tomorrow is the last day of work before the holidays. And yes, there will be beer :lol:

I assume you mean turn 3, Coca cola, the high speed left before 100R? The driving line's suggestions for turn 1 and turn 3 seem good to me. I start a very tiny/gradual turn-to-the-left as I'm braking and downshifting for Coca cola, and upon letting off the brake, cut it left all the way round to 180degrees (steering wheel angle) while gradually but quickly getting back to full throttle as I clip the apex, with left tires possibly hitting the grass.

I think I might use this week to try a bunch of laps without the driving line, since I really should know this track by now, and start using track objects like the rest of you. :dunce:

What, do you Belgians take a few weeks off at the end of July just to get ready for the Spa 24hrs? :lol:

Managed a 51.84 last night, but looked at the time and missed my braking point for the chicane :dunce:

I assume you mean turn 3, Coca cola, the high speed left before 100R? The driving line's suggestions for turn 1 and turn 3 seem good to me. I start a very tiny/gradual turn-to-the-left as I'm braking and downshifting for Coca cola, and upon letting off the brake, cut it left all the way round to 180degrees (steering wheel angle) while gradually but quickly getting back to full throttle as I clip the apex, with left tires possibly hitting the grass.

I think I might use this week to try a bunch of laps without the driving line, since I really should know this track by now, and start using track objects like the rest of you. :dunce:

What, do you Belgians take a few weeks off at the end of July just to get ready for the Spa 24hrs? :lol:
I mean the left turn after the hairpin, I'm struggling to see the rumble strip on the left side and can't find a good brake spot, it's probably just me :P

And yes, 3 weeks off with Spa bang in the middle of it :)

Here you go. And yeah, the beer helps, to a point. ;)

EDK

To clarify, there are 3 marker signs on the right hand side, I use the second one, brake down in a straight line, then apex. OK to grab quite a bit at apex, being careful to keep right tires on rumble. But be careful of the right side of track on exit. I'm not watching my speedo, but if past memory serves, you should be able to maintain nearly 90 MPH.

Managed a 51.84 last night, but looked at the time and missed my braking point for the chicane :dunce:

I getting the habit of not looking at all to the time, because if i do i choke after.
But sometimes when i see the ghost getting behind a lot is stronger than me :scared:
Saw a 51.71x and of course choked bad :yuck:

Just notice that my T3 sucks so i´m far of what i think i can do.
The problem is that i can only do the first turn the right away 1 in 10 :dunce:

Jon, any news on a v1.2 on your tune? 👍

Have only had 25 minutes of seat time since V1.1 was released so really haven't had the time, especially as you and CT have shown that I have more to get from v1.1. Oh, and Lynx Can is another one that's gone faster than me with my set-up :irked: :sly:

There are areas that I'd like to improve how the car behaves, but as ever it's a balancing act over the rest of the lap. I'm not happy with the car on the exit of 100R (gearing) or through the hairpin (unstable). However, I think it's pretty good through T3 so I'm loathe to mess with it too much.

Lefty, do you believe it's the set-up that's made the difference, or just you getting more familiar with the car/track? Will be interested in your results with Kev's set-up...

:cheers:

PS. I turn the ghost off US :lol:

Since I'm still on Kevin's tune, I tried his suggestion of 4th-rev-limiter on 100R and it really did keep my minimum speed there higher, 109-110mph. 👍

I'm not having problems using his tune and the default LSD either. Sure I still spin out, but usually understand what I did to induce it.

The only turn I haven't figured out is Dunlop! Every other turn I feel I've nailed at least once. :dunce:

Nice improvements!: Ealirendur, Pluscat, Dan

Thanks, Lucas. Your splits of late have been leaps and bounds above mine. I can't even get close to your times anymore. :grumpy: But way to go!! 👍👍

I, too, have been using Kev's gears the last two improvement runs, some adjustments to suspension. Carlos' gears suit me as well. However, I do miss Chris' gear setups as it seemed I could always relate to those.

Wonder where he's been of late?

T1: 21.212
T2: 32.203

-

Lefty, do you believe it's the set-up that's made the difference, or just you getting more familiar with the car/track? Will be interested in your results with Kev's set-up...

I'm definitely not trying to win a tuning comp in addition to the Time Trial. ;)

I only share my setup in case someone can relate to it.

Looking at our setups, they are really quite similar, with the exception of Toe, Anti Roll Bars, LSD and gears.

Suspension beyond those areas is quite similar, as is brake balance, which I went more extreme with when tweaking my setup.

FWIW, I tried your gears, but for my approach to the combo, I like mine better. And when I lowered LSD numbers, it made my car twitchy, which may mean it's making up for a crap suspension setup and your numbers are better, but if it works, it works. :P

:) Me neither Kev, just interested in what works and what doesn't. I suspect your gearing is better in critical areas. I was interested in your comments regarding shift points, as I've always rung mine out to the 8800rpm limiter. Some things to try certainly 💡

I suspect your LSD settings on my car would be equally wrong - reckon your rear toe and harder front springs are doing some of what my LSD is achieving.

Last edited:

I am having a blast trading each machine back and forth and I have now just battled back w/ your set up to take off .5 on my overall but no real change In my shows. If I was a test driver and had to say where each setup works vs. the other, I would have to say that the EDK special is a tracking setup that can be pushed faster because of its stability due to a slight under steer. My Carlos flyer is able to run at the edge by sliding into the corner and staying in contact w/ traction by handling well enough to live the 7% slip angle (aka a little tail happy).

Anyone significantly different than 155mph / 249kph at the start/finish?

Last night I couldn't keep up with my ghost, even on the main straight, and found that my HP had pretty quickly dropped from 399 to 380, after around 150-200mi since the last oil change. Someone said it already, change oil frequently, even if it looks clean!

Upped LSD inital to 15 and the car became a lot more stable on slow corner exits (turn 1, hairpin, dunlop). Cut a tenth of my best lap right away even though I made a couple of mistakes. It feels much faster.

T1: 20.636
T2: 30.937

I run the tune Jump_Ace linked on page 3, slightly modified:

Aero 35/60
LSD 15/20/10

+5/+5
17.0/18.0
7/7
5/5
4/4
1.5/1.0
-0.10/0.15

1 - 3.443
2 - 2.084
3 - 1.618
4 - 1.311
5 - 1.101
6 - 0.959
final - 4.223
max speed 300 (290 top right)

I set max speed 300, moved 6th all the way to the right (resulted in 285 max speed) and 2nd all the way to the left then spaced the rest "evenly". After driving for a while I lowered final gear slightly to give 290 max speed.

Gravitron: I cross the line at 251, make sure you enter the final turn wide and get on the gas quickly (without going wide). I turn in just before the rumble on the left turns into a strip of grass in 2nd gear and go pretty quickly to full throttle.

I'll be posting my "tune" from my first run before I try Kev's tune, don't know if it's good, bad, or ugly though. :scared:

Should be up within an hour or two.

I think I've just about maxed out Carlos Fandango's tune.

I'm still good in T1 and bad in T2. I suspect T3 is at the T2 level. Will try another tune next time. Thanks to all who share.

Back