GTP's Official FIFA 2006 World Cup Thread (Now with Results!)

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 1,700 comments
Well, it's 4-0 now, anyway. Great assist by the kid Messi. This kid looks great out there. He's also mature and disciplined. He could have attempted to try to score on his own, but decided to go for the sure thing. Impressive.

DQuaN
It is.

I can't believe Crespo got booked for that. He ran in on goal, the whistle blew for offside, but Crespo tapped it in the net anyway. I understand getting booked for kicking the ball away, but that did not deserve a Yellow.

I agree. As soon as Crespo broke free the decibel level skyrocketed. How was he to hear the whistle?

and GOALLL! Argentina 5-0!

Something tells me my Serbian friend is not going to be coming to the pub tonight!! :scared:

The BBC commentators have it right.... if FIFA class Argentina as worse than the USA, then they ain't watching enough football...

Good Lord! :crazy: That was some of the finest football I've ever seen in my life! Serbia only conceded one goal in their whole qualifying campaign, and they didn't play that badly against Holland. But Argentina's intricate short passing had them totally discombobulated. If Argentina can play like this for the rest of the tournament, they will certainly win the World Cup.

'

Poor S&M a plucky little side totally outclassed by a sherman tank name of Argentina!

The Fifth goal by Tevez was absolutely startling.

A feel a good final coming on w/ teams like Arghentina up in this bitch.

The groups are interesting, how is Sverge now they've scored?

Also; (i know the answer this is just a miniquiz) Can anybody tell me the Country in which Football was Invented & the World's First Football Team's name? quickly is good.

DQuaN
So far it seems that Argentina and Spain are going to be the teams to beat.
Argentina played well, but not as they did today. Today, there were fantastic, but I still don't think they were better than Spain.

Therefor, is Spain the best team? No. We have to wait and see what they do in their second game to make that judgment. But a Spain vs. Argentina final World Cup game seems most likely.

DeLoreanBrown
Poor S&M a plucky little side totally outclassed by a sherman tank name of Argentina!
I wouldn't have ever described Serbia as a 'little side' - but I guess they are a shadow of their former selves - esp. when they were part of Yugoslavia...

Holy crap. I'm watching this U2 World Cup recap segment thing...

Did you guys see that total slut with the brazilian flag???

Thar she blows. Haha. Anyway, I thought it was funny that they showed her waving her flag for like 6 whole seconds compared to all the other clips which got maybe 2 at most.

Touring Mars
I wouldn't have ever described Serbia as a 'little side' - but I guess they are a shadow of their former selves - esp. when they were part of Yugoslavia...
Its the World Cup, Chris, Serbia&Montenegro are minnows. Answer my miniquiz.

PS, Thank you Omnis:drool:

Omnis
Holy crap. I'm watching this U2 World Cup recap segment thing...

Did you guys see that total slut with the brazilian flag???

Thar she blows. Haha. Anyway, I thought it was funny that they showed her waving her flag for like 6 whole seconds compared to all the other clips which got maybe 2 at most.
How could you possibly go as low as to call her a slut? She's just dressed for the weather ;). If sje went out in a puffa jacket and skiing 'pants' you'd call her a dumb blonde :lol:

No, she was acting all slutty-like while waving the flag. You know, like one of those lame import-tuner models. I'm sure she's not one, but, you know, chauvinism is cool.

LOL. Nice one.

Anyway, what are those two little flags under the emblem on the Netherlands jerseys? One is the Netherlands, obviously, but is the other one Cote D'Ivioire's?

edit: LMAO! Did you guys see the little kid in front of the IC goalie? He looked like he was pooping his pants.

It will be interesting to see which DOMESTIC clubs players score the most goals.

Arsenal aren't doing badly. 1 for Van Persie and Ljungberg and 2 for Rosicky.

Chelsea have had one from Drogba and Robben. Has Crespo been sold?

*edit
Liverpool too. One each for Alonso, Crouch and Gerrard.

Great game so far, but I think Holland needs to step things up a little and get a little more aggressive in the second half.

Too bad about their "no goal allowed for ten games" record being broke. But, it's still a record.

Go Holland!

Cote D'Ivoire can get the ball to the box pretty regularly and then they screw something up. Bad little touch passes or holding on to it too long. Lack of finish. Good game though.

Yeah, all their shots seem to be right at Van Der Saar. I'm definitely digging the West African drumming in the stands. All the Dutchmen are yelling and chanting, and the IVCers are drumming and hollering.

Well, that ending was a little too close for comfort. Geez, Holland went to sleep. They weren't getting the ball inside the box. They had, what, only 6 goal shots that half? While Ivory had 14, or so. Holland wont win games if they play like that again.

How many times did they pass to the opposing team? I counted 7 times in the last 25 minutes of the game. That's horrible.

Again, they got the job done, but I'm not feeling confident in their performance.

Back