GTP's Official FIFA 2006 World Cup Thread (Now with Results!)

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 1,700 comments
SPAIN IN THE RAIN! Man, come on, guys.

I feel bad for Casillas, man. I can't believe he jumped back on the floor right before the ball was kicked.

WTF is going on with Spain? Pernia needs to up his passing game, yo.

CRAP! I figured out Torres's problem... You can't score if you don't shoot!

GOLLLLLL ESPANA!!!!!!!!!! RAUL FTW!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD, GOAL FERNANDO TORRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPAIN ARE IN THE LEAD!!!!!

2-1, foo!

typo, right?

TORRES SCORES THE PK!!!! 3-1 SPAIN! THEY ADVANCE TO THE NEXT ROUND!!!

By the way, Mark, nice prediction.

I think Cesc and Torres should be the men of the match. The announcers keep talking about joaquin and torres, but Cesc has been making some killer plays for the rest of the team to capitalize on, effectively setting up the first two goals.

There have been 4 goals scored in every game in this group so far.

4-0
2-2
0-4
3-1

Daan, how about this? They're the 8th group, and they put up 8 points total per day. ;)

I was getting a bit worried about Spain after about 70 minutes, but they pulled it out nicely! Quite similar to the Japan-Australia game in that one team scores early, other team fail to break through then score 3 at the end!

I can see them getting to the semi's this time, perhaps even the final. But that's assuming they can keep up this standard and they haven't peaked too early.

What's really cool about the spaniards, though, is that they have incredible depth in all the positions that might be prone to substitutions. When you have backups like Joaquin, Cesc, and Raul, that's pretty cool stuff. I'm definitely rooting for Spain during this tournament. They're like Brazil's foil; totally underhyped and nice and fundamental.

To me the teams with the best back-up players is Argentina and Brasil. They just have a huge arsenal they can use anytime.

EDIT: Hey guys. I have a bad feeling that the GTP bug is coming back again. You know, the multiple posts one. So far I've seen 3 people with repeated posts already, and I had some difficult to post this one too! I hope I'm wrong :scared:

Ciao!

In my opinion, the biggest problem England might face is our lack of squad depth. The first 11 is fantastic - it picks itself. But as soon as the likes of Hargreaves, Downing and Walcott are needed, it makes me a bit worried.

I think this might be a strong factor as to why England didn't score a second half goal in the World Cup for about 10 games or whatever it was. In the second half, when substitutes are brought on and key players taken off, we're just not as decisive.

Good comeback from Spain, I hope they can advance to the semi-finals at least.

In my opinion Brazil could form a team with just back-ups and it still would have a chance in winning the WC. We might see that in the next game, Parreira will probably put some back ups to play against Japan, specially to replace the ones with a yellow card already.

I believe England are going along those lines tonight. Gerrard is set to be replaced, as is Crouch because they're both on yellows. Gary Neville is still not fit to play and will probably be replaced by Carragher again.

This means that Rooney can start up front with Owen, and Hargreaves will probably play a holding midfield role. *shudders*

Rooney and Owen, I would surely like to watch this game. :(

Alemanha scored already but I hope Equador to put up a good fight.

markj_87
In my opinion, the biggest problem England might face is our lack of squad depth. The first 11 is fantastic - it picks itself. But as soon as the likes of Hargreaves, Downing and Walcott are needed, it makes me a bit worried.

I think this might be a strong factor as to why England didn't score a second half goal in the World Cup for about 10 games or whatever it was. In the second half, when substitutes are brought on and key players taken off, we're just not as decisive.

Thats because the manager was a **** for not bringing defoe,shaun wright phillipes and someone else who I cant think off.

Sweden is going to have a hard time, it'd be funny if Sweden would loose and Trinidad wins against Paraguay with 2-0 =)

Sweden will beat us, i'm pretty sure of that. They way we've been playing we don't have much chance of beating a good team like Sweden. Looks like Ibrahimovic is out though :indiff: I was looking forward to seeing him play.

A lot of people are tipping a draw because Sweden are quite a defensive team, and our strike force is lacking match fitness. Plus, of the last 11 times we've played against Sweden, 7 have been a draw. I'm thinking 0-0 or 1-1, but hopefully we can pull a win out. Although having said that, a draw would be good enough to avoid Germany.

El Gigante
Sweden will beat us, i'm pretty sure of that. They way we've been playing we don't have much chance of beating a good team like Sweden. Looks like Ibrahimovic is out though :indiff: I was looking forward to seeing him play.

Look even they could barely score against T&T, I think that the game will probably end up a dull 0-0 draw. But I want us to win.

I wonder if Sven will do what he did against T&T taking off the fullback making beckham play as a wingback and then have Lennon rip down the wing because that was the first time I can remember him making a decent tactical substitution.

Edit: Oh god I just read the teamsheet and he's starting Hargreaves, we are totally doomed I tells ya doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.

Omnis
Go Sweden.

attachment.php
OMNIS
attachment.php

We are e-enemies now, I hope you realise.

Also Zsolt.

attachment.php
ZSOLT
attachment.php

Poverty
"put on the boy" is what me and my dad will be screaming as the english strikers fail to score.

I think it might well happen tonight. Rooney won't last 90 minutes and Crouch can't be risked because of his yellow card. You heard it here first! :sly:

Cosmic
What? Are you afraid of Sweden kicking some British a**?:dopey:

British ant? British ann? British arg?

Or do you mean ass.

Ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass etc.

Sweden will just be amazed with Owen Hargreaves Canadian'ness.

Cosmic
Someone is cocky as usual.

If I was being cocky I would have said that England will beat Sweden like 4-0.

What I actually said in my earlier post was that it will probably end up a draw.

No need to get defensive just because of a little banter eh?

Ps England to win 9-0 and Terry kicks larssons head off.
attachment.php

Latest Posts

Back