GTP's Official FIFA 2006 World Cup Thread (Now with Results!)

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 1,700 comments
Go Australia!

We did an allnighter at my mates place for the game, which was shown at 5am here. So I'm pretty much dead now :lol:.

But seriously, that refereeing was disgracful. How Viduka didn't get a penalty when he was spear tackled down in the box I have no idea. We should have won at least 3-1.

El Gigante
I thought France were already out?

Nope. If you look at the first post, and check group G, you'll see that no one has qualified for the second round yet. SK has 4 points and Switzerland as well, France has 2 points so if France beats Togo, and either switerland or sk wins...then France will be going to the second round. Now, if the match ends-up as a draw, then France would have to win by at least 3 goals or more to beat the other 2 contenders.

I hope France advances, I just like Zidane too much :P

Ciao!

Australia go through to second round with 2-2 draw against Croatia! Now, if we could just beat Italy (Who might try to box their way out of it, if they challenge like De Rossi did - Got slamned with a 4 match ban for his nasty elbow:scared:)...

FormulaGT

Brazil played well yesterday, for the first time in this WC. The back-up team was better than the first 11! :lol: Even Rogério Ceni played. 👍

And we used the ugly yellow/white kit again, so that pic Omnis posted must be from another Brazil vs Japan game.

Good luck to Ghana, but Brazil is going for the 6th star. :D

Edit: Oh, and congrats to Australia!

Mr.OzzyGT
Nope. If you look at the first post, and check group G, you'll see that no one has qualified for the second round yet. SK has 4 points and Switzerland as well, France has 2 points so if France beats Togo, and either switerland or sk wins...then France will be going to the second round. Now, if the match ends-up as a draw, then France would have to win by at least 3 goals or more to beat the other 2 contenders.

I hope France advances, I just like Zidane too much :P

Ciao!

Sorry, my mistake. I reckon they will go out though.

Woop woop Ukraine in the last 16! I hope they do well, although they didn't look very good against Tunisia, although Tunisia weren't very good either.

Wierd because I mean i'm pretty sure Tunisia were African cup of nations champs before Egypt.

Also France look crap, I feel sorry for the tallented players and Zidane just looks past it now. Although I can't see Togo beating them or holding them for a draw because togo are just realy crappy.

Edit: also sign up for Maxxed forums for all your football video needs here

FatAssBR
Brazil played well yesterday, for the first time in this WC. The back-up team was better than the first 11! :lol: Even Rogério Ceni played. 👍

And we used the ugly yellow/white kit again, so that pic Omnis posted must be from another Brazil vs Japan game.

Good luck to Ghana, but Brazil is going for the 6th star. :D

Edit: Oh, and congrats to Australia!

:confused:

I don't recall posting a pic. I like Brasil with white shorts and blue socks, though.

Crap. I slept through Spain's game vs. SA. No wonder they only scored 1 goal... I need to make sure I watch all of their games so that they have insured victories.

Germany vs Sweden just started, this should be good. I think Germany will go through.

Edit: Germany 1 x 0 Sweden.

Germany just scored. Sweden is SO neutral. Their record is 16-16-13. :lol:

Marcello Balboa and David O'Brien have to be the stupidest commentators EVER, though. I can't count the number of times they've announced wrong information.

Wow, Germany just scored AGAIN. Hasn't even been 12 minutes... Brilliant play by Klose to Podolski.

Yeah, Germany is playing very well so far. Also, it seems FIFA liked the Brazilian ref, it's his third game in this world cup already. 👍

Just out of curiousity, if Brazil win, it'll be the third time they've won this particular World Cup trophy (1994, 2002 and 2006). Will they, like the last time they won the trophy for the third time, be entitled to keep it? Will we see a NEW World Cup in 2010?

Hmm, good question. I just hope if we get to keep the trophy it doesn't get stolen like the Jules Rimet one. :lol:

Wtf. This brazilian ref guy is a butthead. He was all smiles when he sent off Lucic.

Will they, like the last time they won the trophy for the third time, be entitled to keep it?

No, once there is no more place for winner names the cup goes back to the FIFA. All winners receive a duplicate not made out of gold. The real cup is worth 10 million $.

No doubt, Sweden gets behind the 8-ball early and the ref decides that they should be out of the game. In one sequence I watched a Swedish player get mauled and then the whistle blew when the German player got breathed on. That's a yellow car for your halitosis, mr. swede!

RouWa
No, once there is no more place for winner names the cup goes back to the FIFA. All winners receive a duplicate not made out of gold. The real cup is worth 10 million $.

They kept the Jules Rimet one - until it was stolen (again). Have FIFA changed their rules (not that it's all that surprising)?

Edit: I've just checked and you're quite right. It'll be retired in 2038.

Germany seems like a VERY strong, agressive team so far. But if they beat Sweden today and Argentina beats Mexico later on, we'll take care of the Germans in quaterfinals :sly: .

EDIT: talking about the cup. But why would FIFA change the design of the trophy? Was that going to prevent from being stolen again??

Ciao!

Famine
They kept the Jules Rimet one - until it was stolen (again). Have FIFA changed their rules (not that it's all that surprising)?

From Wiki:

After 1970, a new trophy, known as the FIFA World Cup Trophy, was designed. This is not awarded to the winning nation permanently, irrespective of how many World Cups they win.[11] Argentina, Germany (as West Germany) and Brazil have all won the second trophy twice. It will not be retired until the name plaque has been entirely filled with the names of winning nations in 2038.

and, http://2002.fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/02/en/pf/h/t2.html

Latest Posts

Back