GTP's Official FIFA 2006 World Cup Thread (Now with Results!)

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 1,700 comments
Cosmic
And guess who was right! :sly:

A guy with a big butt and a wierd name.
attachment.php

And yes Dunc I did think that at Euro 2004!

England has got to get their act together...Portugal is no easy contender even if the lack some of their good starters. The have to play fast ans smart. Something they haven't done so far.

Same for Italy, they have the players, but not the communication. *sigh*.....
attachment.php

Ciao!

I was watching SUN Sports at my uncle's house, and they were totally RIPPING the american announcers. I was so happy. They've been calling them out for all the same reasons I have.

Race Idiot
Here is a pun for you guys.

The pain for spain came mainly from Zidane.
attachment.php

Thank you thank you
I know this is rich coming from me, but...
getmecoat.gif
:P

And the Greg Louganis Award for Diving goes to Thierry Henry for his ridiculous (and some may say shameful) exhibition dive which lead to France's second goal last night... whether or not Puyol fouled him, Henry really didn't need to go down like that, clutching his face :dunce:

Well, looking at the replays, it looks like pretty legitmate foul (not much in it, but still a foul). If anything, Puyol barged him out of the way, thus 'Denying a clear goal scoring opportunity' and a yellow card is quite just. These types of fouls can bee punished with red cards (as stipulated in Law 12 :sly:), so he may have been a bit lucky in the end.

FormulaGT

I reckon Soccer AM should start shaming players who dive. And it should be international aswell, without boundaries!

Shocking victory from France, I really didn't think they could do it. Brazil had better beat them. Though there is some doubt in my mind as Brazil aren't on great form at the moment.

FormulaGT
Well, looking at the replays, it looks like pretty legitmate foul (not much in it, but still a foul). If anything, Puyol barged him out of the way, thus 'Denying a clear goal scoring opportunity' and a yellow card is quite just. These types of fouls can bee punished with red cards (as stipulated in Law 12 :sly:), so he may have been a bit lucky in the end.

FormulaGT
He caught him in the chest with his arm. I don't fall to the ground when chopped in the chest, and Henry shoudl be either.

How was he denying a goal scoring oputunity? They were 40 odd yards from goal and neither were actually in possession of the ball. The yellow card was because Henry made it out he was hit in the face.

A red card is for violent contact, moving your arms while running isn't violent conduct. And I fail to see why Luis Garcia wasn't booked for his hand off before the header later in the game (I think).

Shocking to see Spain get creamed by France. (Creamed - Frace - creamy sauces, get it? It's late, I'm tired, Touring Mars I ain't, so cut me some slack.)

Anyway, France had better kick Brazil's ass. I'm getting awful sick of those guys.

Go England. Go Germany. Go Italy. Go Speed Racer.

ExigeExcel
He caught him in the chest with his arm.

Well, the way the game is played today, players fall down in agony at the slightest touch which really ruins the image of the sport.

ExigeExcel
I don't fall to the ground when chopped in the chest, and Henry shoudl be either.

And I don't either.

ExigeExcel
How was he denying a goal scoring oputunity? They were 40 odd yards from goal and neither were actually in possession of the ball. The yellow card was because Henry made it out he was hit in the face.

Henry was actually in possession as he got the first touch. Puyol went in to win the ball and made contact to Henry's upper torso/head (with his arm, which was judged as the infringement), which is a foul. In this case, he committed a foul which was punishable by a free kick (as judged by the referee) and was also the last line of defence, thus he prevented an obvious goal scoring opportunity which can be punished with a red/yellow card. The laws define no distance from goal for the foul of preventing an obvious goal scoring opportunity and players have scored from 40 yards out before. Henry would've been clean through if Puyol didn't catch him, thus an obvious goal scoring opportunity was prevented (when a player is clean through the defence, it is defined as an obvious goal scoring opportunity). No doubt Henry made a meal of it, but it's something that most players do these days to win free kicks:grumpy:👎.

ExigeExcel
A red card is for violent contact, moving your arms while running isn't violent conduct. And I fail to see why Luis Garcia wasn't booked for his hand off before the header later in the game (I think).

OK, here's a list of all sending off offences/criterion:

A player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the
following seven offences:
1. is guilty of serious foul play
2. is guilty of violent conduct
3. spits at an opponent or any other person
4. denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity
by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a
goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
5. denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving
towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick
or a penalty kick
6. uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
7. receives a second caution in the same match

A player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of
play and the technical area.

Source: 2006 FIFA Regulations

If he was running, his arms would not have been making contact with Henry. He was jostling, and committed a foul which can be punished with a free kick in the process. If you mean the header from Vieira which went in, the referee probably paid the advantage of the goal, rather than stopping play and making France take a penalty for Garcia's ball handling.

I hope this helps clarify what I said. And as a side note, I'm sure you'd agree that the officiating so far has been relatively poor but fun to watch :D (Three yellow cards issued to a player, a controversial penalty decission against Australia, 16 yellow & 4 red cards in ONE match... the list goes on).

FormulaGT

Solid Lifters
Anyway, France had better kick Brazil's ass. I'm getting awful sick of those guys.
Yeah right...

I thought Spain were going through, but this is even better. Now we can get our revenge from the '98 final.

No games on wednesday and thursday!

The next game is Germany vs. Argentina (friday, 17.00 german time). Of the remaining eight teams these two played the most attractive football by now. It will probably be the best game in the tournament.

George Morley
Not Argentina, Germany :)
Well of course I'm English, why'd I want Argentina to win?

I'm English and I want Argentina to win! Although I don't know what i'd do if the final was Argentina England though.

Touring Mars
I know this is rich coming from me, but...
getmecoat.gif
:P

I'll just get me coat then.

I'd want Argentina to win to see a Brazil vs Argentina final, but I think it would be an easier game than getting Germany at the final game in their country, specially because they lost the last WC to us and they would do anything to win this one. :scared:

FatAssBR
I'd want Argentina to win to see a Brazil vs Argentina final, but I think it would be an easier game than getting Germany at the final game in their country, specially because they lost the last WC to us and they would do anything to win this one. :scared:

Has there been a Brazil Argentina final before, well in the world cup that is?

I don't think so, but we've beaten them last year in the Confederations Cup. :D

Edit: I just checked, we never played against Argentina in a final. Four games in world cups so far with two victories to us, one to them and a draw.

FatAssBR
Yeah, I think the winner from Germany vs Argentina will make to the finals. And I hope the other to be us. :)
I'm split on who will win that match. Germany have home support and are playing very well. Argentina are also playing very well, but they could have problems if Riquelme isn't playing well.

If Parreira wants to win a second World Cup with Brazil, he should stop using his "1 to 11" team and use the one that beat Japan. That first 11 is only for the established stars to play. But the players don't seem to be able to work well together. Parreira is only concerned about results, though, as this article shows.

In any case, I'm hoping for another Brazil vs Germany final, with Germany winning 5 goals to 4 :D .

Latest Posts

Back