GTP's Official FIFA 2006 World Cup Thread (Now with Results!)

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 1,700 comments
Mr. Boy
I'm split on who will win that match. Germany have home support and are playing very well. Argentina are also playing very well, but they could have problems if Riquelme isn't playing well.

If Parreira wants to win a second World Cup with Brazil, he should stop using his "1 to 11" team and use the one that beat Japan. That first 11 is only for the established stars to play. But the players don't seem to be able to work well together. Parreira is only concerned about results, though, as this article shows.

In any case, I'm hoping for another Brazil vs Germany final, with Germany winning 5 goals to 4 :D .
I think Argentina won't be able to defeat Germany, they have a great team and the whole country supporting them.

About Brazil, I would change some players too, but not many. In my opinion Adriano doesn't work well with Ronaldo since they play alike, Robinho and Ronaldo would work better. I would also replace Emerson for Gilberto Silva and maybe put Cicinho to play instead of Cafu.

Mr. Boy
If Parreira wants to win a second World Cup with Brazil....

I thought Brazil won its lat cup with the now Portugal's coach...what's hi name?
Scolari? something like that?

Ciao!

FatAssBR
About Brazil, I would change some players too, but not many. In my opinion Adriano doesn't work well with Ronaldo since they play alike, Robinho and Ronaldo would work better. I would also replace Emerson for Gilberto Silva and maybe put Cicinho to play instead of Cafu.
I agree with that. Adriano only has 1 foot! I thought that Cicinho, Gilberto & Gilberto Silva did better than Cafu, Roberto Carlos & Emerson when they played against Japan. Those 3 seem to be picked on past reputation rather than how good they are actually playing now. Ronaldo started off being rubbish, but you can't argue with the number of goals he's scored.

I like Adriano when he's replacing Ronaldo, just not when they're playing togheter. I always liked Roberto Carlos' football, and I haven't seen much of Gilberto before the Japan game to replace him yet. This must be the last world cup for both Roberto Carlos and Cafú though, so at least it seems Cicinho and Gilberto will do a fine job replacing them.

He said in a press conference that he will not play like he does with Barcelona because in Barca, he's more like a forward with Eto; so the whole team depends on the goal scoring plays he makes. And that's a reason why he shoots more.

With Brazil, Parreira sets 'dinho as a midfielder, he is the one who PASSES the ball to either Ronaldo, Robinho, or Adriano. His role is different; and the team doesn't depends on him..and so far, the team has demostrated that.

Ciao!

Solid Lifters
Shocking to see Spain get creamed by France. (Creamed - Frace - creamy sauces, get it? It's late, I'm tired, Touring Mars I ain't, so cut me some slack.)

Anyway, France had better kick Brazil's ass. I'm getting awful sick of those guys.

Go England. Go Germany. Go Italy. Go Speed Racer.

ahhh....

NO:dopey:

this is like the USA with the basketball team. a lot of people apreciate their play, but root against because they are the best and need to be beaten. i really think it will be a major task for brasil to win this year. because next world cup is in a neutral field and the following most likely in brasil, so, if they win this one, fifa fears that we also win the next 2.

big question is, and i can´t aswer that because i live in brasil.is it bad for fifa to have brasil winning everything? it didn´t hurt basketball that the USA dominated the sport for decades, so i don´t really know if europe will lose interest in soccer just because brasil wins...

also, it does not help their cause because we´ve been playing kind of lame. but then again, everybody else is. germany plyed one good game against sweden and people are all over with them. if the game was, lets say, london, germany would be trashed by argentina. will be a battle because of the homecourt.

if brasil was in a better shape, then i would not be worried, but things are looking kind of dark right now:nervous:

fasj6418
ahhh....

NO:dopey:

this is like the USA with the basketball team. a lot of people apreciate their play, but root against because they are the best and need to be beaten. i really think it will be a major task for brasil to win this year. because next world cup is in a neutral field and the following most likely in brasil, so, if they win this one, fifa fears that we also win the next 2.

big question is, and i can´t aswer that because i live in brasil.is it bad for fifa to have brasil winning everything? it didn´t hurt basketball that the USA dominated the sport for decades, so i don´t really know if europe will lose interest in soccer just because brasil wins...

also, it does not help their cause because we´ve been playing kind of lame. but then again, everybody else is. germany plyed one good game against sweden and people are all over with them. if the game was, lets say, london, germany would be trashed by argentina. will be a battle because of the homecourt.

if brasil was in a better shape, then i would not be worried, but things are looking kind of dark right now:nervous:

You just admitted to the reason why I hate Brazil. They suck. You said correctly that they've been, "playing kind of lame." They've played awful, but they just happen to win. I hate that. They've been lucky, and that's it.

Croatia kicked their ass, but they still won. Ghana out played them, but Brazil got lucky with a few goals.

So, I hate them. I feel they don't deserve to be where they are. I hope France kicks the crap out of them.

Are you kidding? I thought they played very well against Ghana, 3x0 isn't lucky. Ghana sucked in my opinion trying to make an offside line during the whole game, that's something you got to be very good at to be able to use it, specially in a WC.

Brazil hasn't showed what it's capable of yet, but it hasn't been playing bad either. I'm pretty confident we will win this World Cup, and luck has nothing to do with it. Luck can't win five world cups.

Brazil have figured out what Sven Goran Eriksson hasn't - in order to win a cup competition, it is completely irrelevant how many goals you concede as long as you score more. So what does Sven do? Play 4-5-1 and only actually take 2 fit strikers to the World Cup - one of whom is 9 years old and he has no intention of playing. Lots of defensive cover though - ace!

Solid Lifters
You just admitted to the reason why I hate Brazil. They suck. You said correctly that they've been, "playing kind of lame." They've played awful, but they just happen to win. I hate that. They've been lucky, and that's it.

Croatia kicked their ass, but they still won. Ghana out played them, but Brazil got lucky with a few goals.

So, I hate them. I feel they don't deserve to be where they are. I hope France kicks the crap out of them.

the good thing for brazilians is that the team has played less than 50% of what is capable of. like england and argentina, we´re not playing like people expected us to play.

but

who´s giving a show in this WC? certainly argentina against serbia, and also brasil against japan and maybe germany against sweden. other than that, its pretty much mediocre soccer all around. if you go by that, you could hate all teams and only apreciate the old fashioned teams, like the ´74 holland or the ´54 hungary. maybe that´s the style of soccer you like...

it´s sad, but we will not see a show in today´s soccer. just to much attention to defense and ball control.

we´ve not been lucky. we are playing bellow our level but we got players that can decide a match in a few seconds, just like beckham did it with ecuador, and maxi rodriguez in the overtime against mexico.

france played 2 horrible games in the first round, had henry isolated in the attack and has nothing so far that resembles a pretty style of playing soccer. i´m curious to see if finally ronaldinho gaucho e henry show up and play a descent game in this WC:tup:

Famine
Play 4-5-1 and only actually take 2 fit strikers to the World Cup - one of whom is 9 years old and he has no intention of playing. Lots of defensive cover though - ace!

:lol:

England are'nt going to win, I'll bet my GTP membership on it, if England win, ban me ;)

I'm considering putting money on Portugal on Saturday for 2 reasons:

1) If England win, fantastic. If England lose, at least I've made money from it.
2) The odds of England's opponents are always inflated because of patriotic punters who bet shedloads on England to win. I can probably get close to 4 to 1 for Portugal to win, which are ridiculous odds.

But I'd feel sort of guilty doing it as well. :S

George Morley
:lol:

England are'nt going to win, I'll bet my GTP membership on it, if England win, ban me ;)

I have an affliction where I can only read the last two words of any post...

:mischievous:

I posted the Guaraná ad a few pages back, I also know the Rexona one but I don't find it funny. I'll check the others.

My two nations battle tomorrow...but Argentina get it harder though :nervous:

Mr.Ozzy predicts:

Argentina 1 - 0 Germany

Italy 3 - 2 Ukraine.

I'll pretend to be sick to get ou of work early :D

No seriously...I'll do it.

Ciao!

Race Idiot
The best bit is when he goes into the factory and they all shout 'RONALDINHO' like he's godzilla or something.
That's the Rexona ad, not the Guaraná one.

Mr.OzzyGT
I'll pretend to be sick to get ou of work early

No seriously...I'll do it.
I didn't go to work today, and the Germany vs Argentina game had some influence on my decision. :D

I´m from Germany so I want Germany to

viertelfinaledeutschlandargentinien.gif

If Argentina wins however, I want them to win the Cup. As I said earlier, both teams play the most attractive football and the winner of this match should win the cup.

no. 11, The Tevezmanian Devil. :D

I love that guy. He's playing like a true warrior.

Back